Bagley season progress

I’m impressed. He’s a guy if given 30 minutes now would probably average 17-10 by accident just by rim running and keeping what he picks up..but once he gets that face up mid range jumper going and establishes a three ball..which he already shoots with a bit of confidence which makes me confident it’s only a matter of time until it’s there..he’s going to be an absolute force.

Like how they’re bringing him up as well. Just like Fox and Buddy. Gotta earn it. Ignorant national narrative(Bags stinks, JJJ is great even though Bagley has better numbers across the board in less minutes and no starts) and whining assistant GM be damned

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Yes this is the play that got me excited. WCS also had some nice dishes. Thinking kings bigs were working on the extra pass in practice
And the Godfather "king big" was truly enjoying it. Seeing Vlade do a fist pump on a great play with Bagley and WCS was a pure joy. He's seeing his vision come to life and we get to go along for the ride.

I LOVE THIS TEAM!!

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Bagley should stay in a back up role all year imo. Couple reasons, allows him to not be worn out in games so can go hard on improving skills and weight training more frequently...plus let's not forget that rookie wall that happens when guys wear out mid year as bodies not ready for full nba season. The lower average mins will help keep him going all year.
I'm thinking we all just need to sit back and watch the master at work. Joerger thus far has done miracles with this team. If he decides Bagley should start, I'm all for it. If he keeps him coming off the bench, I'm all for that too. Joeger has IMHO more than earned my trust.

Bagley looks more comfortable than De'Aaron did last season, although Mr. Fox plays a more difficult position in which to hit the ground running. Still, imagine if MB3 is able to make even half the jump #5 has made this season. He'll be a special player too.

I'm sure it's happened, but I don't remember seeing a player fix deficiencies mid season like Marvin Bagley. I'm not talking pulling out of a slump. I mean, actually adding to their game.

He completely turned around his free throw shooting. He added a mid range jumper (work in progress but it was nonexistent before). He went from driving straight at the basket with his head down looking only to score, to driving and finding open men for easier shots.

Can you imagine what he's going to do with an actual offseason? I think he's going to be special. Scratch that. He already is special.

I'm sure it's happened, but I don't remember seeing a player fix deficiencies mid season like Marvin Bagley. I'm not talking pulling out of a slump. I mean, actually adding to their game.

He completely turned around his free throw shooting. He added a mid range jumper (work in progress but it was nonexistent before). He went from driving straight at the basket with his head down looking only to score, to driving and finding open men for easier shots.

Can you imagine what he's going to do with an actual offseason? I think he's going to be special. Scratch that. He already is special.
I said this in the first 10 games of the season, Marvin Bagley may have all the physical attributes and then some, but his biggest gift may be his learning ability.

You can see it, he stands there during a timeout or break in play and just thinks about his next move. At times he reminds me of Tim Duncan in that way. He did the same thing.

We knew he could score. We knew he could rebound.
Now he is turning into a good passer. His defense has improved a lot. It will be one of the keys to his level of greatness.
He has good hands and can run. I have never seen anyone score backwards like he can. He always knows where the bucket is even if he can't see it.
Really good at foul shots. He could work with Willie maybe.

Last edited:
Really I couldn't be happier with Marvin at this point. He's got the total package. Scratch that; WE'VE got the total package!
If Vlade had had the first pick, would he have picked Marvin? If he had, I'm not sure he would have survived the flamethrowers. But at this point, who could be disappointed with Bagley the way that he is progressing? "Nicely done," as DC would say (1,000 times).

DeAndre Ayton was at the top of my draft board. Marvin Bagley was 2A. Luka Doncic was 2B. Though there is much yet to accomplish for these three players, and though it's still early in their rookie seasons, I must admit to feeling sheepish regarding my desire to see Ayton slip to the Kings at #2. Every single flaw that scouts saw in Ayton's game has been magnified tenfold on an NBA court. Of course, he has plenty of time to iron out those flaws, but the Suns were absolutely the worst possible team for him to land on. I'm reminded of Demarcus Cousins' early years with the Kings. The dysfunction of the franchise stunted his growth and only exacerbated his issues with effort and immaturity. It seems the same is true for Ayton at this early junction of his career. And while we can't possibly know how he'd fare in the newly-minted culture of positivity here in Sacramento, I certainly wouldn't want his meandering focus to drag this exciting young team down.

All of that said, I couldn't be happier that the Kings weren't forced to choose between Ayton and Bagley, and I couldn't be happier that they selected Bagley over Doncic. Some here will still forcefully disagree with the choice the Kings' front office made, but I think Bagley is going to be a really special talent as he continues to develop. The zeal for the game that so many love in Doncic, the human highlight reel factor, the basketball IQ, the effortlessness he seems to operate with, I honestly believe that Bagley's got all of those same qualities, on top of being an extraordinary athlete. They're clearly different players, and they'll clearly impact the game in different ways for their respective teams, but Bagley just seems to fit this infectiously thrilling roster like a glove.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I just wonder what Bagley is going to look like in February and March? He just continues to improve on a weekly basis. And along the same lines, we definitely saw a better team last night against the Wolves than we saw at the beginning of the season. How much better is this team going to get by season end?

DeAndre Ayton was at the top of my draft board. Marvin Bagley was 2A. Luka Doncic was 2B. Though there is much yet to accomplish for these three players, and though it's still early in their rookie seasons, I must admit to feeling sheepish regarding my desire to see Ayton slip to the Kings at #2. Every single flaw that scouts saw in Ayton's game has been magnified tenfold on an NBA court. Of course, he has plenty of time to iron out those flaws, but the Suns were absolutely the worst possible team for him to land on. I'm reminded of Demarcus Cousins' early years with the Kings. The dysfunction of the franchise stunted his growth and only exacerbated his issues with effort and immaturity. It seems the same is true for Ayton at this early junction of his career. And while we can't possibly know how he'd fare in the newly-minted culture of positivity here in Sacramento, I certainly wouldn't want his meandering focus to drag this exciting young team down.

All of that said, I couldn't be happier that the Kings weren't forced to choose between Ayton and Bagley, and I couldn't be happier that they selected Bagley over Doncic. Some here will still forcefully disagree with the choice the Kings' front office made, but I think Bagley is going to be a really special talent as he continues to develop. The zeal for the game that so many love in Doncic, the human highlight reel factor, the basketball IQ, the effortlessness he seems to operate with, I honestly believe that Bagley's got all of those same qualities, on top of being an extraordinary athlete. They're clearly different players, and they'll clearly impact the game in different ways for their respective teams, but Bagley just seems to fit this infectiously thrilling roster like a glove.
I really think Ayton's biggest problem is being on that craptacular team. I watched a lot of his Arizona games last year and a lot of his deficiencies were part of the pack line system Arizona plays and the lack of any defensive help on the roster combined with Arizona being targeted as the biggest team not-quite-big-enough to take down by the NCAA investigations in the media.

He was particularly beastly down the stretch the last week or so of the Pac 12 season and in their tourney and then they got murdered by a team shooting lights out from 3 in the tourney which would be more embarrassing had the same thing not happened to Virginia the next night.

I had Ayton, Doncic, Bagley/JJJ as my order. I read your post in the other sub-forum, and agree about the seductiveness of the guy I had #2 but when you look at how this team plays together it's really hard for me to second guess our selection process. They're a team and they have an identity (fast paced, fun, fluid and yet can play defense when needed) and well I'm not seeing that on another team.

I just wonder what Bagley is going to look like in February and March? He just continues to improve on a weekly basis. And along the same lines, we definitely saw a better team last night against the Wolves than we saw at the beginning of the season. How much better is this team going to get by season end?
I said the same last night. Week to week we are seeing leaps in his game. I won't be surprised if he is head of the class after the all star break.

It's always a nice luxury to not have to cast these guys into the fire on day one which usually pays dividends 2-3 years down the road. I'm pretty impressed by how coach is handling development of Buddy, Fox and Bagley - bringing them along gradually and making them earn their role while also dealing with our role player guys and trying to keep them comfortable with their spots (see the Yogi comments he had last night).

We sense I posted my draft Hope's on another site will share what my thoughts on Bagley were. I was so scared of taking the human highlight reel. I was so scared that he I was just an athlete. I understand their could have been a huge upside, but @ #2 Doncic or Aton would have been the pick. To me it seemed destined that we were getting Doncic, and I was so excited with the thought that we had our SF to being us back (or to) to the promise land. Bagley would not have been my choice, but once we drafted him, he was a King. I will support my Kings, and never watch a highlight of the player I thought we should have drafted l. (Yes I am one of those nuts). I have never even looked a Doncic highlight as I pass over them as quick as my finger can flick.

Bags has won me over completely now, he will be a huge part of the core starting next year that will bring us to the post season year after year. Thanks ping pong balls, thanks Bulls, and thank you Vlade, it looks like it all worked out in our favor.
Go Kings!

Even more important than hitting 9/10 foul shots, is getting to the line that many times. He already puts a lot of pressure on the defense as a rook. He gets to the line a lot. So does Fox. We are in the bonus first in a lot of games.