Are we still thinking of what could have been with these players?

IT, Damien Lillard, and Whiteside have all been exposed for not nearly being as great as advertised during this season and postseason, but many Kings fans around the world would talk about how we should’ve drafted Lillard and/or kept Hassan and IT around. To me, it seems as if we’d dodged some bullets. Same with Cousins and his weak knee, although i wish him a speedy recovery of course.

This may be inappropriate for this section but I’m just curious to see what you all think. Did we actually “luck up” in some strange way by not ending up with any of these guys long term on max money?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Nah...

We're onto Mitchell now.

I keed (kinda).
While some are drooling about the 76ers, I'm jealous of Jazz fans. Watching their team is so much fun - and no drama. I can only dream, I guess, of what it would be like to have just one season of fun and basketball without drama and palace intrigue. I guess we still just cannot have nice things. I wonder if there was a second Indian burial ground we didn't know about - this one under G1C.

While some are drooling about the 76ers, I'm jealous of Jazz fans. Watching their team is so much fun - and no drama. I can only dream, I guess, of what it would be like to have just one season of fun and basketball without drama and palace intrigue. I guess we still just cannot have nice things. I wonder if there was a second Indian burial ground we didn't know about - this one under G1C.
It’s absolutely possible for us, and i have no doubt that we can get there. The Jazz actually give me hope with their example, because they’re the opposite of a “superteam” and what everyone was starting to believe you’d need, in order to have a chance in this league.

gunks

Hall of Famer
Who knows?

Maybe next season when Fox/Buddy/Bogs is a 60ppg backcourt and Giles is dropping double doubles on the regular we'll all be less jelly.

...It's the offseason, so I'm in baseless optimism mode.

It’s absolutely possible for us, and i have no doubt that we can get there. The Jazz actually give me hope with their example, because they’re the opposite of a “superteam” and what everyone was starting to believe you’d need, in order to have a chance in this league.
Agreed, I actually like the approach they've taken in rebuilding their roster. They've remained competitive while rebuilding. I'd like to think we could mirror them, though we'd need to get lucky because the Nuggets drafted and traded Rudy Gobert and Donovan Mitchell to the Jazz. That must be painful for Nuggets fans to see those two in the play offs right now...

The kings and basically the whole league. Maybe even Hayward lol! That would have been a big 3 right there.
Hayward as the go to guy and focal point of that team. If he had stayed that would likely have continued. Would Mitchell have broken out in the way that he did in a supporting role?

This season he took the bull by the horns early on and became that go to scorer for them. Rubio, Ingles, Favors and Gobert all played their part and brought their strengths to the court. With Hayward present I'm not sure whether Mitchell would have had the same freedom or opportunity.

Hayward as the go to guy and focal point of that team. If he had stayed that would likely have continued. Would Mitchell have broken out in the way that he did in a supporting role?

This season he took the bull by the horns early on and became that go to scorer for them. Rubio, Ingles, Favors and Gobert all played their part and brought their strengths to the court. With Hayward present I'm not sure whether Mitchell would have had the same freedom or opportunity.
They’d still need a go to scorer off the bench so Mitchell would have feasted on 2nd units thus showing his potential and getting where he is now anyways. Imagine there small ball lineup Rubio-Mitchell-Hayward-Ingles-Gobert

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Take my advice and never look up your ex on Facebook. Move on and relish the love you have found!
So I made that mistake (Instagram really) this year. Don't know why I did it. It was a kick in the nuts.

I don't think either team is going to win a championship. But for my money Philly has to for what they did. Anything else is unacceptable. Throw away 3/4s of a decade to draft in the high lottery and sell the fans on a "process" you better come out of it with something to rival the Lakers/Bulls/Celtics eras of dominance. Utah however gets to just enjoy what they did, which is hopefully competing at a high level year in year out. If they have a magic run, great! They didn't sell their souls to get there.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
what's the point? You will just make yourself miserable and hate this franchise that much more...play the cards you are dealt with or move on.

what's the point? You will just make yourself miserable and hate this franchise that much more...play the cards you are dealt with or move on.
Yeah well most people will just move on to another team. The Sac Airport sells Warriors jerseys because many already have. Those ones still here are trying to hang on despite an organization who makes it difficult. I (we) all want the Kings to do well. But many of us look at the numbers and probabilities and just shake our heads.

The Bogdan fiasco is just yet another example. Anyone who has competed at a high level knows you can’t develop new skills in season. It takes repetition and training muscle memory that can only be done in the off season. This will set Bogdan’s progression back to a degree for no good reason.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Yeah well most people will just move on to another team. The Sac Airport sells Warriors jerseys because many already have. Those ones still here are trying to hang on despite an organization who makes it difficult. I (we) all want the Kings to do well. But many of us look at the numbers and probabilities and just shake our heads.

The Bogdan fiasco is just yet another example. Anyone who has competed at a high level knows you can’t develop new skills in season. It takes repetition and training muscle memory that can only be done in the off season. This will set Bogdan’s progression back to a degree for no good reason.
The Kings will continue to remain a lottery team until they can get lucky for once and maybe net themselves another star player after the top 5 since it seems that's where they are always destined to draft.

Regarding the Bogs topic, we will have to agree to disagree and just leave it at that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Agreed, I actually like the approach they've taken in rebuilding their roster. They've remained competitive while rebuilding. I'd like to think we could mirror them, though we'd need to get lucky because the Nuggets drafted and traded Rudy Gobert and Donovan Mitchell to the Jazz. That must be painful for Nuggets fans to see those two in the play offs right now...
yikes. i didn't realize Denver gave up the both of them

eh, the point of this thread is that im not really lamenting much. I can't think of any players we've "lost" that I'd ever be pining over any time
soon to be honest.

but i know what you mean and i agree to an extent. sometimes it makes me feel better when i see it not work out for certain other teams that have taken on our past talent lol

To me, it seems as if we’d dodged some bullets. Same with Cousins and his weak knee, although i wish him a speedy recovery of course.
What on earth are you talking about? You do realize that Cousins has an Achilles injury, not a knee injury.

Furthermore, had he not been traded, there's no reason to believe he would have had the same injury. There's absolutely no connection, so no bullet dodged there.

The only “what might have beens” that I used to wonder about were

- What if PDA took Petrie’s recommendation and drafted the Greek Freak
- What if the Kings didn’t knife coach Malone
- What if the Kings kept IT at that reasonable price

Of all the wrong moves the franchise has made, those are the 3 I question the most. If I was a betting man I would bet that there wouldn’t have been a flow on effect of trading DMC and Kings would be in the playoffs as we speak.

Kingster

Hall of Famer

Of all the wrong moves the franchise has made, those are the 3 I question the most. If I was a betting man I would bet that there wouldn’t have been a flow on effect of trading DMC and Kings would be in the playoffs as we speak.
I now want to kill myself!;)

PDA was a disaster, but I never gave much credence to Petrie's claim about Giannis. That only came out in response to an interview of Vivek where he bad mouthed Petrie so Petrie threw dirt back. Who knows, easy to say in hind sight you would have drafted some kid. Petrie had his fair share of stinkers towards the end even if his hands were forced by the Maloofs.

PDA was a disaster, but I never gave much credence to Petrie's claim about Giannis. That only came out in response to an interview of Vivek where he bad mouthed Petrie so Petrie threw dirt back. Who knows, easy to say in hind sight you would have drafted some kid. Petrie had his fair share of stinkers towards the end even if his hands were forced by the Maloofs.
Yeah, I’ve never quite understood how he was onto Giannis when his scouting budget had been cut so much. I thought he couldn’t make his European trips anymore. Was he really investing his meager resources in scouting the Greek second or third division?

It is really fun. You guys are all welcome to jump on the bandwagon until summer league.

What on earth are you talking about? You do realize that Cousins has an Achilles injury, not a knee injury.

Furthermore, had he not been traded, there's no reason to believe he would have had the same injury. There's absolutely no connection, so no bullet dodged there.
meh, i think eventually it would have happened here. His health and weight fluctuation could not have been a good thing for those knees, and i can see that being an issue down the line. Sorry about the confusion, i didn't realize exactly what kind of injury he'd suffered

Yuck @ keeping IT in any capacity, but i love the rest of this post. I had no idea Petrie suggested that

Ouch