Anybody still think Buddy should come off the bench?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
MOD NOTE: This was split into its own thread since it was tagged onto an old game thread. ;)

I have been one of those that thought that Buddy is a stud 6th man type but to his credit he has worked on other aspects of his game that have made him into the player we are seeing now. Ball handling is still a work in progress but it has come a long way since he first got here. If he can improve that aspect of his game even more, he is going to be so much better than he has been this season.

I think Buddy was going to become Buddy regardless, so I’m not sure ‘starting vs 6th man’ should be the context of the argument.

If the point is how much he’s grown and improved, then yeah. He’s already more than I thought he’d ever be.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
This Buddy isn't a new Buddy. This is just Buddy unleashed. His pick and roll vision has improved a bit but here's what made Buddy a top pick to begin with.

The interesting thing is there might even be a bit more unleashing to come if that leash is allowed to get a bit longer.

I was hoping the Kings somehow get HIeld in that draft, but it didn't happen....somehow he found his way aboard, and love to see things fall into place. Of all players who merit an extension on the team, Hield is numero uno. Without his offensive consistency the Kings are at least 8-10 games back from where they are now, and .500 would be a dream. He is the shooter that alny team needs to fill in offense.

One thing I noticed is that Buddy doesn't do that quick turnaround fadeaway shot near the free throw line anymore. He used to do that all the time and that shot was money.

Ah, come on, guys. There's a lot of b.s. being thrown around in this thread. Buddy has made significant strides during his time in Sacramento. No matter when any of us jumped on the Buddy Love Bandwagon, only a fool would have made him our starter from day one when he first arrived from the Pelicans. He's improved as much as anyone can in the NBA in that timeframe. He's awesome. We're all glad to have him here. Now stop pretending that you were the ONE who knew all along that he was going to be the player that he is today. I don't buy it. Talk to the hand!

Last edited:

gunks

Hall of Famer
This offseason I was feeling pretty negative about just about everything BUT Mr. Buckets.

And believe me, as somebody who hated the Cuz trade, I really wanted to dislike Buddy. Midway through last season I had to throw in the towel on that one.

I shall be eating no crow here! Buddy's crazy good year hasn't surprised me at all. It won't surprise me if he keeps getting better and better either.

The player he was last year was a 6 man type.

His increased shooting, improved handle, absurd energy has made him into a must start.

I’m glad his hard work is paying dividends for him and the team.

This Buddy isn't a new Buddy. This is just Buddy unleashed. His pick and roll vision has improved a bit but here's what made Buddy a top pick to begin with.

The interesting thing is there might even be a bit more unleashing to come if that leash is allowed to get a bit longer.
I disagree with this to a degree. His ball handling and visions has improved a great deal since his rookie season. The rest of his game is pretty much the same but he is now not big a liability handling the ball as he was and his visions has definitely improved a great deal where is now able to set up his team mates a lot better than he has in the past.

In terms of his shooting, its pretty much the same.

dang your right. It looks like buddy has a lot more offensive potential. I didn't even know he could do some of the things in this video.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
In terms of 3pt shooting right now, there's Steph and Buddy and then there's everyone else. Steph was in his own category until this season but he's got company now. If that doesn't make you a starter in this league than I don't know what does!

And the funny thing is, I was against drafting Buddy at the time because of his age. Guys who stay for their senior year aren't usually stars in the NBA anymore. Well it turns out he's even older than I thought he was and now I couldn't care less! It's almost like he took it up a level as soon as he got the age issue behind him. His confidence is through the roof right now and more than anything else that's what makes me feel like these Kings have a legit shot every time they take the floor. All these guys are important to our winning record (just a half game out right now fellas!) but with Buddy he just knows he's a bad man, you can tell by the way he carries himself. He's afraid of no one out there on the court. And you can try to stop him but it's probably not going to work.

I almost forgot how he was in college. He lost a bit of his bounce but goodness, he had some extra sauce back then.

I was very happy with the trade but truthfully had no idea how Buddys game would develop with more time in the NBA.
A top player in college does not always translate his game to the NBA but man he has a sweet shot!

There’s not a team in the NBA that wouldn’t love to have him on the floor. I believe he has really improved his game even at his new advanced age. LOL

Now this trade came about this time of year at the trade deadline so I will be interested in seeing if Vlade holds pat or maybe even makes another bold move? What ever happens it is going to be a interesting week.

I was torn between who was the better player: Bogdan or Buddy. I thought Bogdan's all-around game was better served for the starting role and Buddy's red-hot shooting was a perfect addition to the bench.

Vivek got it right. If we're going to laugh at him when he's wrong, we need to congratulate him when he's correct. He absolutely nailed it when he spoke about Buddy's potential and doing everything he could to get him on this team.

I will take my crow roasted please.