And for those who miss Keon Clark...

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
(This was taken from today's NBA Beat article in the Bee):

Flaky players

Keon Clark, the former Kings center, is quickly working himself right out of the NBA. He has reportedly blown off invitations or simply not shown up for workouts with Cleveland and the New York Knicks, teams that coveted his long wingspan and athleticism.

And there's Leon Smith, the former prep-to-NBA prospect who never appeared mentally ready for the rigors of the pro game. The 6-foot-10 center declined to report to training camp with the Seattle SuperSonics last week and was promptly waived.

He signed a 10-day contract late last season with the club and played in one game. He was on Seattle's summer team, but management wasn't convinced he could have an impact, so the team drafted a 7-foot high schooler, Robert Swift, and traded for a banger in Danny Fortson. Smith, 23, was picked late in the first round by San Antonio in 1999 and was traded to Dallas on draft night. He attempted suicide and was released his rookie season.

The Bee's Joe Davidson can be reached at (916) 321-1280 or jdavidson@sacbee.com.

We have no use for a skinny knucklehead who doesn't even like basketball anymore. His for go-round (where he got paid a full season salary for about half a season worth of effort) was enough.

Didn't he say something about the Kings organization when he left? Something about the coach not playing him while Webb was out and losing intentionally as to not make it look like the Kings can win without their highest paid player?

Yup. Keon talked trash when he went out. I'm didn't miss him at all last season .. I used to cringe everytime Adelman put him in.

I never ceases to amaze me how people will crap on a gift/opportunity others wish they had. am i the only one that has a feeling that keon maybe addicted to something other than weed(LOL)? or maybe he's just lazy.....

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Wish we still had Keon's talent -- athletic shotblocker = just what the doctor ordered for our team. Unfortunately that talent has always come attached to Keon's head, which I will pass on.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Just_Lurkin said:
I never ceases to amaze me how people will crap on a gift/opportunity others wish they had. am i the only one that has a feeling that keon maybe addicted to something other than weed(LOL)? or maybe he's just lazy.....
Addicted to something? Perhaps.

Dumber than a box of rocks would be my assessment, however. Even addicts can be deceptively clever, especially if it means they can fund their habits.

Clark has pissed off every chance he's ever had, and that's either incredibly sad or stupid beyong belief. I'm going with the latter...

Rodman certainly had the behavior, looks, and symptoms of being an addict but to his credit, he was never nailed for it. His antics could have been marketing ploy. Do you have any proof that he was indeed an addict? Well, alcohol addict, maybe but I haven't seen any proof that he's a narcotics addict like Clark or Tarpley.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Dennis Rodman may have been a lot of things, but my best guess would be that he was never an addict. He's not stupid. He may do stupid things, but a lot of that was just show - similiar to the WWE, IMHO.

Bricklayer

I'm quite sure Rodman has probably tried every drug known to man -- his personal lifestyle is at least as freaky as his on court persona. But I think we would have heard about it at some point if he was an addict. Not exactly a low profile persona.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Lamar_Odom said:
Rodman certainly had the behavior, looks, and symptoms of being an addict but to his credit, he was never nailed for it. His antics could have been marketing ploy. Do you have any proof that he was indeed an addict? Well, alcohol addict, maybe but I haven't seen any proof that he's a narcotics addict like Clark or Tarpley.
You mena other than the DUI he gont in Vegas when he wrecked his bike in the parking lot of a strip club at 11 AM? Incidnetly he was back in the club drinking that same after getting out of jail. He told that little story him self on Jay Leno.

Bricklayer said:
I'm quite sure Rodman has probably tried every drug known to man -- his personal lifestyle is at least as freaky as his on court persona. But I think we would have heard about it at some point if he was an addict. Not exactly a low profile persona.
Rodman is a recovering Alcoholic.

I don't get why anybody would want Clark back here...... or the league for that matter....

Bricklayer

slugking50 said:
I don't get why anybody would want Clark back here...... or the league for that matter....
I think people have let his ugly departure overshadow the fact that he actually is a talented player -- arguably the most talented backup to Webb we've ever had. At this point he's basically an ex-ballplayer though, let alone an ex-King, so no real use crying over spilled milk. Do wish it could have gone down differently though. And I'm STILL annoyed at having to actually GIVE Utah one of our picks in order to unload him. That sucked.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
poise said:
Is tag a joke? :rolleyes: I would take Keon over Ostertag any time.
Which Keon Clark? The one from two years ago OR the one who has now blown off chances with two different NBA teams?

Time marches on. Unfortunately for Clark, he appears to be marching to a very different drummer. His time has, in all likelihood, passed into history. Once again, it seems Petrie sensed or knew something and got rid of him at the right time, draft pick notwithstanding.

I believe we're gonna be happy with Tag. He'll fit into the Kings style quite nicely. AND he and Brad will have lots to talk about.

;)

There's a difference between being injured and being nuts...

besides, who was gonna give up Karl Malone for Keon Clark? And at this stage of the game, Malone can pretty much go wherever he wants to.

Geoff said:
There's a difference between being injured and being nuts...

besides, who was gonna give up Karl Malone for Keon Clark? And at this stage of the game, Malone can pretty much go wherever he wants to.
The Kings were on Malone's list last summer along with the Lakers, Dallas, and maybe SA? I don't know how serious he considered coming here, but I do remember some of us floating around the idea of trading him for Clark (since Malone was going to leave anyway and both could be paid the MLE).

Bricklayer said:
I think people have let his ugly departure overshadow the fact that he actually is a talented player -- arguably the most talented backup to Webb we've ever had. At this point he's basically an ex-ballplayer though, let alone an ex-King, so no real use crying over spilled milk. Do wish it could have gone down differently though. And I'm STILL annoyed at having to actually GIVE Utah one of our picks in order to unload him. That sucked.
Talented yes, but a player you'd want on your team..... No. With me it wasn't his ugly departure. It was his ugly departure with several teams, His laziness on and off the court(which was very frustrating to watch), his current situation all add up to somebody who is not a good idea to have back. Thankfully Petrie and Adelman wouldn't want him back so I gues the points really moot.

Last edited:

Bricklayer

slugking50 said:
Talented yes, but a player you'd want on your team..... No. With me it wasn't his ugly departure. It was his ugly departure with several teams, His laziness on and off the court(which was very frustrating to watch), his current situation all add up to somebody who is not a good idea to have back. Thankfully Petrie and Adelman wouldn't want him back so I gues the points really moot.
As I mentioned above, since you have to take his knuckle head along with the skinny body, he's not an attractive option for anyone at this point.

Doesn't change the fact he was the most talented and athletic backup to Webber we've ever had, and a guy who was a significant part of us leading the league in defense that year (also the best shot blocker we've had since we got good). When I say I wish it had went down differently, I mean just that. Wish he was not a dope. Wish he was capable of keeping his mouth shut since nothing bright comes out of it anyway. And wish we could have kept him on the roster. Certainly could have used him (healthy and happy) last year as teams ran a layup drill past our theoretical big men. But 'twas not to be. Like Massenberg, there's a reason he's on a new team every year, and he may just be out of the league at this point. What a waste.

Bricklayer said:
As I mentioned above, since you have to take his knuckle head along with the skinny body, he's not an attractive option for anyone at this point.

Doesn't change the fact he was the most talented and athletic backup to Webber we've ever had, and a guy who was a significant part of us leading the league in defense that year (also the best shot blocker we've had since we got good). When I say I wish it had went down differently, I mean just that. Wish he was not a dope. Wish he was capable of keeping his mouth shut since nothing bright comes out of it anyway. And wish we could have kept him on the roster. Certainly could have used him (healthy and happy) last year as teams ran a layup drill past our theoretical big men. But 'twas not to be. Like Massenberg, there's a reason he's on a new team every year, and he may just be out of the league at this point. What a waste.
Agreed. Especially the last sentence.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
SacKings384 said:
Anyone have a link as to what Keon said about the Kings when he left?
It was pure sour grapes. Along the lines of the usual - the team would have done better if they'd played him (Clark) more, etc.