Woj: Kings let Bogi go

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
We still have Buddy, Fox, Cojo, Justin James and Ramsey on our roster. He won't be thrown to the wolves. For Bogi? Yes there is.
"According to Stein, the offer sheet that Bogdanovic signed with the Kings includes a 15% trade kicker, meaning that if the Kings decided to match the Hawks’ offer sheet, they’d have to pay Bogdanovic that bonus in order to trade him somewhere else down the line. Additionally, if the Kings wanted to trade Bogdanovic this season, they’d have to do it with his consent because matching an offer sheet for a restricted free agent triggers a one-year no-trade clause for the player."
I thought Justin James got traded on draft night?

I’m with you on blaming Luke, at least where Buddy is concerned. He was awesome under Joerger.

If we’re stuck with Buddy (likely, given his crap attitude/contract/play last season), I’d hope whatever coach we land after Luke gets canned can improve his value to the point where he’s movable, or we want to keep him.
every coach that has coached Buddy considers him a 6th man. At his contract he is never moveable.

Can we please not make this another American Kings fans vs. European Kings fans schism? We're not the ones calling the shots here, we're just giving our opinions. I'll give you another reason why I voted against matching the Atlanta offer sheet... I really don't like 3 guard lineups for defensive purposes and bringing both of our SGs back seemingly makes a 3 guard lineup inevitable. I'm happy keeping one or the other just not both and I don't have a strong preference for which one stays.
do we care if we suck this year?

Haha. Yeah and Buddy not accepting and being way overpaid for his role has something to do with that fact
Gentry had Cuz and Davis and held on well beyond just the few months he was coaching Buddy. Honestly though, Gentry wasn't Buddys coach long enough to really make a dent either way but Joerger got run out of Memphis and we now know why. And it wasn't just Buddy. Just like Walton got run out of LA.

Gentry had Cuz and Davis and held on well beyond just the few months he was coaching Buddy. Honestly though, Gentry wasn't Buddys coach long enough to really make a dent either way but Joerger got run out of Memphis and we now know why. And it wasn't just Buddy. Just like Walton got run out of LA.
Im not saying either are great coaches but low IQ players who won’t accept a role are very hard to win with regardless.

Im not saying either are great coaches but low IQ players who won’t accept a role are very hard to win with regardless.
No doubt but it usually doesn't sink teams entirely because few teams are full of low IQ players to begin with. However, coaches that misuse players or convince themselves they are the key piece to success when they aren't ensure that you never win.

No doubt but it usually doesn't sink teams entirely because few teams are full of low IQ players to begin with. However, coaches that misuse players or convince themselves they are the key piece to success when they aren't ensure that you never win.
In the case of the Kings and Buddy both are true. Teams in the league broadly see Buddy as a 6th man

every coach that has coached Buddy considers him a 6th man. At his contract he is never moveable.
Last I checked Buddy started 82 games in 2018-2019 under Joerger where the Kings won 39 games and averaged 21/5/2.5 on 46/43% shooting. Bogi started 17, so it's not like Joerger who according to you considers him a 6th man didn't have any other options.

But please continue to speak as if you know everything, and keep sharing that knowledge you're getting from your weekly NBA coach and GM dinner party.

Last I checked Buddy started 82 games in 2018-2019 under Joerger where the Kings won 39 games and averaged 21/5/2.5 on 46/43% shooting. Bogi started 17, so it's not like Joerger who according to you considers him a 6th man didn't have any other options.

But please continue to speak as if you know everything, and keep sharing that knowledge you're getting from your weekly NBA coach and GM dinner party.
Joerger was quoted numerous times saying he thought Buddy’s best role was as a 6th man. Every writer covering the Kings has said the belief around the league is Buddy is a 6th man. It was repeated by Barling today.

right but Bogi can waive it if the Kings match. If Bogi has the chance to go to Milwaukee or the Clips do you really think he doesn’t approve the deal and waive the trade kicker?

from all we know about Bogi it seems unlikely.
Not only that the trade kicker is 15% (if that’s the accurate figure) of whatever is still owed on the contract. So if the KINGS matched, the price to trade him gets cheaper in 2021 if they couldn’t move him until after the end of the season.

8.1M isn’t a figure that can’t be overcome especially of it nets some kind of worthwhile asset. Hell, the KINGS keep moving picks for cash considerations and they have a bajillion 2nd round picks so there are a multitude of ways to offset cost.

Not only that the trade kicker is 15% (if that’s the accurate figure) of whatever is still owed on the contract. So if the KINGS matched, the price to trade him gets cheaper in 2021 if they couldn’t move him until after the end of the season.

8.1M isn’t a figure that can’t be overcome especially of it nets some kind of worthwhile asset. Hell, the KINGS keep moving picks for cash considerations and they have a bajillion 2nd round picks so there are a multitude of ways to offset cost.
No the last year is a player option so it doesn’t count. If you trade in the summer of 21 the amount is 5.x depending on how the contract goes across years. That is assuming Bogi doesn’t waive it.

No the last year is a player option so it doesn’t count. If you trade in the summer of 21 the amount is 5.x depending on how the contract goes across years. That is assuming Bogi doesn’t waive it.
I read about it the other day. 15% is the max a trade kicker can be and it’s based upon the remaining balance of the contract. So at the end of this season, the balance will be roughly 18M lighter. Give or take a little bit depending how it is spread out — as you said.

So for sake of argument if 54M remains after this season, 15% would be roughly 8.1M.

Don’t know where you’re getting this 5x thing from.

I read about it the other day. 15% is the max a trade kicker can be and it’s based upon the remaining balance of the contract. So at the end of this season, the balance will be roughly 18M lighter. Give or take a little bit depending how it is spread out — as you said.

So for sake of argument if 54M remains after this season, 15% would be roughly 8.1M.

Don’t know where you’re getting this 5x thing from.
per Hollinger in the Athletic...

One twist, however, is that the player option part actually lessens the impact of the trade kicker, because the option year is not included in the trade kicker calculation.

For instance, Bogdanovic’s contract has a 15 percent trade kicker, so if the Kings traded him in the summer of 2021 they would have to fork out $5.4 million – 15% of the two years left on the contract before the player option. Without the option, that kicker jumps to $7.2 million.

per Hollinger in the Athletic...

One twist, however, is that the player option part actually lessens the impact of the trade kicker, because the option year is not included in the trade kicker calculation.

For instance, Bogdanovic’s contract has a 15 percent trade kicker, so if the Kings traded him in the summer of 2021 they would have to fork out $5.4 million – 15% of the two years left on the contract before the player option. Without the option, that kicker jumps to $7.2 million.
It's not the money the Kings pay that matters, it's the new team taking him at a higher cap rate.

Last edited:
Per Bleacher report, Bogi wants to move on because he feels "de-prioratized " by the Kings. Doesn't sound any different than Buddy to me. Actually sounds like when Vlade left, Bogi lost his safety net.

https://syndication.bleacherreport....oritized-by-kings-prefers-to-move-on.amp.html
Except that isn’t what he is saying to Serbia media per our friends here. We all know Bogi wants to win. We shall see what the Kings do. But I wouldn’t be shocked if the Kings say stay a year, mentor Tyrese and we will move you to a winning team if you waive your trade exception.

I get it. The 2.7 for those two years doesn’t help assuming Bogi doesn’t wave it.
Look at it like this

If you signed me for a 4 year 40 million contract with a 15% kicker

Year one I don't go anywhere

You trade me at year two

Year two calculated would be 15% more than that or 11.5 million minus each day over the year, for that calendar year

Year 3 & 4 would pay the full 11.5.

What matters is the cap hit for year 3 and 4 to the next team stays 15% higher no matter what.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Except that isn’t what he is saying to Serbia media per our friends here. We all know Bogi wants to win. We shall see what the Kings do. But I wouldn’t be shocked if the Kings say stay a year, mentor Tyrese and we will move you to a winning team if you waive your trade exception.
We're getting a lot of PR spin from all sides. We shall see where this shakes out in a couple of hours.