Amick Blog: "On Coaching Rumors and Theories"

On coaching rumors and theories

With Kings basketball president Geoff Petrie in Europe doing international scouting for two weeks, the coaching search is in its infancy and the buzz is slowly starting. One report had New Mexico State coach and former Kings player Reggie Theus possibly coming as an assistant while Monarchs general manager John Whisenant would be the head coach. The pondered plan, reportedly, was for Theus to take over as head coach in two years. Who knows if the Kings ever talked about that scenario, but they may as well forget about it. According to a source close to Theus, that's a laughable concept. He is a hot name in the coaching ranks and would only jump to the NBA if it was to be a head coach.

The Maloofs are high on Theus, who has interesting ties on many fronts. There's the obvious New Mexico connection, with Theus having won the Maloofs' home state over with his combination of success and style in two years as a coach there. He played at UNLV and had his jersey retired by the Runnin' Rebels, so he has the Vegas territory covered. And he was, of course, a former Kings player.

Yet the Vegas name that might very well be more realistic is Lon Kruger, the current UNLV coach who recently took the Rebels to the Sweet 16 for the first time since 1991. Kruger was the Atlanta Hawks from 2000 to 2002, though falling short with that organization is surely excusable and could be seen as a Mulligan.

Overall, Petrie and the Maloofs are definitely planning on taking their time in this process. It makes you wonder if they're all that interested in landing a big name, considering Larry Brown just interviewed in Memphis and who knows if he'll be employed by the time the Kings' search really ramps up.

There has been predictable Rick Carlisle talk since he was fired in Indiana as well, but that’s a bit tricky and likely farfetched. While there are indications that trading Ron Artest will be a priority this offseason, there’s still the chance that you’d be reuniting two men who would probably just assume never see each other again. Artest was extremely critical of Carlisle on his way out, and the coach had no easy time handling the mercurial forward.

And just to quiet all those Kings fans wondering if their team will be turning back time and bringing Rick Adelman back into town, co-owner Gavin Maloof was quick to kill that theory.

"No," he said when asked if he might put the past aside and bring back the coach who produced eight consecutive playoff berths. "No, he's not (a candidate). It just wouldn't work. We're not interested."

After conducting just three interviews last offseason, one can expect the Kings to have many more this time. Don't be shocked if there isn't a coach named until the June draft is close or even behind us.

http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs/sports/kings/archives/006661.html

I find it appalling that the Sacramento press is floating the idea that an otherwise unexceptional candidate, with no NBA experience, might be hired just because he would be popular with fans in Vegas. If we're going to talk about unqualified people, where are the candidates from CSUS, UCD and the Bay Area?

Sheesh.

Lon Kruger? Why would we hire Lon Kruger???

I swear, people are just pulling names out their "you know what's" and throwing them into sports columns nowadays. That's fine on a fan site like this, but when you get paid to produce an insightful opinion, that's just ridiculous.

I think when the dust settles, Terry Porter will be our next head coach. I'm okay with that, but I just don't see a slam dunk candidate out there.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
it's a blog so he can float his opinion, not a part of the actual paper.

Kruger's got experience, coached the Atlanta Hawks.

Yes, yes he did.

To records of 25-57, 33-49, and 11-16 before being fired. Career 69-122 head coach anyone? Anyone?

This whole "well the guy sure did a bangup job one year in college = NBA qualified" thing really has to stop. Tim Floyd's doing well in college too. And because of that that's just where he should stay. Different world.

Yes, yes he did.

To records of 25-57, 33-49, and 11-16 before being fired. Career 69-122 head coach anyone? Anyone?
Ah, right. I forgot he was the guy who promised that he would get the Hawks into the playoffs, or they would give a partial refund to all season ticket holders.

I wonder if Amick forgot that too, or left it out because it made his idea sound even screwier?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
...While there are indications that trading Ron Artest will be a priority this offseason, there’s still the chance that you’d be reuniting two men who would probably just assume never see each other again. ..
Another great proofreading job at the Bee.

The correct phrase would be "two men who would probably just AS SOON never see each other again."

I also really liked this part:

"No," he said when asked if he might put the past aside and bring back the coach who produced eight consecutive playoff berths. "No, he's not (a candidate). It just wouldn't work. We're not interested."
Hey, Gavin? Just so you know? I don't think he's even remotely interested either. You're the ones who pissed in the Wheaties in that regard, not Coach Adelman.

Last edited:

The correct phrase would be "two men who would probably just AS SOON never see each other again."

Hey, Gavin? Just so you know? I don't think he's even remotely interested either. You're the ones who pissed in the Wheaties in that regard, not Coach Adelman.
It's his blog, I doubt it gets proofed by many editors if any at all.

Yes, yes he did.

This whole "well the guy sure did a bangup job one year in college = NBA qualified" thing really has to stop. Tim Floyd's doing well in college too. And because of that that's just where he should stay. Different world.

I was responding more to fnordius' post, but yeah...not exactly a ringing qualifier for the Kings head coaching job either

wow. :rolleyes:

Yes, yes he did.

I call that an "upward swing"! :p

Yes, yes he did.

Brick, you are absolutley correct. And the funniest thing is that this axiom proves true in every major sport. Why do pro teams keep reaching for college coaches to lead their teams? You can count on two hands all the times a coach has successfully transitioned straight from college to the pros in all three major sports. Other than having a big name to sell to fans, why would teams do this and keep thinking it will work? Is there one sport with a good percentage of these coaches working? Maybe some Irish cricket league that no one speaks about. This is a failed expirament, college and professional sports are just two completley different animals.

Maybe Garry St. Jean could be persuaded to return?:cool:

Gavin Maloof was quoted as saying:

"No," he said when asked if he might put the past aside and bring back the coach who produced several straight lottery berths. "No, he's not (a candidate). It just wouldn't work. We're not interested. No matter how desperatley we need to rebuild!"

yet they say that the decision is up to petrie and they have no say in who the coach will be :confused:

And just to quiet all those Kings fans wondering if their team will be turning back time and bringing Rick Adelman back into town, co-owner Gavin Maloof was quick to kill that theory.

Maybe its just hard to get a sense of his words from jusr reading them, but that just reads a little snotty, to me. Just freakin' once, I'd like at least one Maloof to thank Adelman for what he did for the Sacramento Kings. I don't care if he wouldn't think of trying to bring Adelman back (and I really doubt RA would want to come back), I think Adelman at least deserved the respect of a thank you.

Would it have killed Gavin to just say something more like, "We really appreciated the job Adelman did and it was a great run, but I think all of us are focused on moving forward and building something new, not on going back." ????

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Maybe its just hard to get a sense of his words from jusr reading them, but that just reads a little snotty, to me. Just freakin' once, I'd like at least one Maloof to thank Adelman for what he did for the Sacramento Kings. I don't care if he wouldn't think of trying to bring Adelman back (and I really doubt RA would want to come back), I think Adelman at least deserved the respect of a thank you.

Would it have killed Gavin to just say something more like, "We really appreciated the job Adelman did and it was a great run, but I think all of us are focused on moving forward and building something new, not on going back." ????
Exactly!!!

I don't think you can judge coaches completely on their records. If a coach has a basket case team, there isn't much he can do about it. You need a certain level of talent to make the playoffs.

A good coach will extract the maximum of what a team can do, but if that maximum is 30 wins , it still isn't going to cut it . But that isn't his fault either.

I'm not excusing Muss. Muss obviously wasn't interacting well with his players. That's a serious problem for a coach no matter how talented his players.

But a good coach can bring it all together even with a mediocre team

Im not sure if the Warriors is that much more talented than us

But look at the job Nellie has done!
8th Seed and threatening to topple the Mavs?

I was watching the Game last night , those Warriors
are one motivated, focused, HUSTLING team

About 5 times during the game, I kept on commenting,
I dont know when
I have seen the Kings hustle that hard for rebounds,
defense, fast break pts, transition defense

I wish our Kings had half the Hustle these guys had

I've been thinking about Amick's blog for a day now, and I have a couple thoughts:

1.) I will be furious if Kruger gets this job, and fully believe Petrie had nothing to do with the decision.
2.) I am okay with Theus getting an interview if the belief is he will bring in a veteran assistant capable of providing credibility and knowledge to a young head coach. Some ideas in this regard: Kevin Loughery, Lenny Wilkens, and any of the coaches that Theus himself may have played under.
3.) I really think a former player who is a vet assistant without any notable head-coaching experience is really the way to go. This eliminates any preconceptions players may have about a coach's style or reputation (which I think plagued Musselman), and adds a little excitement for the unknown. I would list my shortlist as: Iavaroni, Elie, Porter, Brooks, Cleamons, Shaw, and Turner.

I've been thinking about Amick's blog for a day now, and I have a couple thoughts:

2.) I am okay with Theus getting an interview if the belief is he will bring in a veteran assistant capable of providing credibility and knowledge to a young head coach. Some ideas in this regard: Kevin Loughery, Lenny Wilkens, and any of the coaches that Theus himself may have played under.
Lenny's the president of the Sonics:

Sonics promote Wilkens to president
Lenny Wilkens said Thursday morning during an interview on a Seattle radio station that he has been promoted from vice chairman to president of the Sonics and is no longer a candidate for the club's vacant head-coaching and general-manager positions.
Wilkens said he will lead the search to fill both spots , but declined to give a timeline in an interview on KJR radio (950 AM).
Wilkens is an NBA Hall of Fame player and coach who guided the Sonics to their only NBA championship in 1979.
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/sports/2003682092_webwilkens27.html

Last edited:

They act like this, and they expect our own players to act better and have chemistry? They are part of this problem and this stubborn view has trickled from the top down this organization. Shame on them!