Alonzo to the Kings?

http://insider.espn.go.com/insider/rumorcentral?sport=nba

Nov. 5 - Mourning, who just started a comeback from a kidney transplant, wants out of the Nets' future, according to the New York Daily News.

As NBA Insider Chad Ford reported Nov. 4, Mourning is seeking either a trade or a buyout. According to the Daily News, 'Zo wants the Nets to buy out the $17 million and three years he has on a fully-guaranteed contract. The Daily News, citing "four league sources" it did not name, reports Mourning feels he needs to play for a contender now rather than be part of the Nets' deconstruction.

Few teams are willing to trade and take a chance on Mourning, 34, who underwent a kidney transplant in December. But he might be more appetizing if his new team only had to pay him $1.1 million – the minimum salary a 10-year NBA veteran can be paid.

The Daily News reports the Nets and Mourning are millions apart on any proposed buyout. But if Mourning is still on the Nets' roster 10 games into the season, his salary counts against the team's cap. The Nets want Mourning to write off millions more to become a free agent.

What do you guys think about bringing Alonzo to Sac?
He wants to "play for a contender"; not to mention he fits in with our whole "We're One Big Injury Risk" team ideology :p

But if he "can" play, he might be worth it :)

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
tetsuo916 said:
What do you guys think about bringing Alonzo to Sac?
He wants to "play for a contender"; not to mention he fits in with our whole "We're One Big Injury Risk" team ideology :p

But if he "can" play, he might be worth it :)
That's a titanic "but". :)

BUT, if the choice is between Erik Daniels as big man #5 or Alonzo Mourning as big man #5, I'll take Zo. ;)

Zo can still provide more productive minutes than most other big mean, especially those on the Kings' roster right now. As to the comment that the Kings are at best a middle of the pack playoff team....come on!!! Too many people are buying into the national perception that the Kings are done. This is basicallly the same identical team this year that made it to Game 7 of the Western semi-finals and actually the Kings in my opinion are better this year than they were in the Minny series last year. I have always compared this Kings team to the Jazz teams of the late 90's. They were written off so many times by everyone, but managed to get to 2 finals years after they were supposed to be done.

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
Alonzo Mourning? hmmm, what an interesting.....

According to the New York Daily News today, Alonzo wants to buy out of his current contract (some $17m due over next 3 years) to then sign with a contender for the 10-yr veteran minimum $1.1M Sure sounds like a fit for the Kings, eh? :D

A dominating defensive presence who might come off the bench and can play both the 4 and the 5. Picture it: Pedja, Alonzo, CWebb or CWebb, Alonzo and Miller. Ouch!! would make me happy. :D

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Interesting possiblity. not too many serious contenders with roster room to be able to risk. And I doubt if anyone wants to count on Zo to start, those days were done before the Kedny went south. But if the Kings coud get Zo for the Vet min he might make an interesting 5th big man like Brick said. That way when Webber takes his anual sabatacal and Miller goes to PF with Tag at the 5 there is someone there to back Tag up. Im not sure Jersey is just going to cut Zo a check and let him go but stranger things have happend.

Bricklayer

HndsmCelt said:
Interesting possiblity. not too many serious contenders with roster room to be able to risk. And I doubt if anyone wants to count on Zo to start, those days were done before the Kedny went south. But if the Kings coud get Zo for the Vet min he might make an interesting 5th big man like Brick said. That way when Webber takes his anual sabatacal and Miller goes to PF with Tag at the 5 there is someone there to back Tag up. Im not sure Jersey is just going to cut Zo a check and let him go but stranger things have happend.
There are several teams though that do come to mind whihc might be more natural fits (here Zo could be anywhere from big man #3 to #5 depending on what he has left):

1) Spurs -- perfect fit + they have nobody else right now at backup C
2) Detroit -- roster already crowded by old decrepit guys, why not another? Mentality right.
3) Miami -- would he go back because of Riley to back up Shaq?
4) Minnesota -- KG welcomes another warrior

Last edited:
I could see the Spurs and Minnesota as interesting possibilities for Zo. I wouldn't mind him as a cheap 5th big man here, but I would think he would consider those teams first. I doubt there's any room for him in Detroit. And did he say something about never wanting to go back to Miami after he went to the Nets?

I'd say he's worth the risk for the minimum. In fact, at this point in his career, im still convince he's at least as good as Tag is in term of defensive skills.

Bricklayer

Pacboy said:
I'd say he's worth the risk for the minimum. In fact, at this point in his career, im still convince he's at least as good as Tag is in term of defensive skills.
hasn't been for some years now, but he's looked better thus far this year. And I guess given that he's got a helathy kidney now, makes sense he might be better (although age, illness, transplant etc. obviously mean he's still a shell of his former self).

personally... i dont think Alonzo's done.. i think he can go for streches and play solid defense (15-20min/night)... i'd take the risk if we can get him "cheap"

I dont think he is done yet, Sean Elliott who had the same disease came back, Alonzo isnt old enough where he has a lot of miles on his body due to the fact of not playing for a while and Zo is like Kevin Willis, always in tip top shape physically, cut up like a dude on Venice Beach. So physically I see him as fine, its the timing issues that will take the most time. He has played superb so far

Get Zo if you can he is better than Oster by leaps and bounds and if he was only one shot to the kidney away from retiring again I dont think he would be playing in the first place.At 1.1 thats a steal IMO Zo deffinatley isnt going to hurt your team at that cost.

jahhluv said:
Get Zo if you can he is better than Oster by leaps and bounds and if he was only one shot to the kidney away from retiring again I dont think he would be playing in the first place.At 1.1 thats a steal IMO Zo deffinatley isnt going to hurt your team at that cost.
When they do a kidney transplant, they don't remove the old kidney and put the new kidney in the same place, they put the new kidney in front, where it is very susceptible to blunt trauma, so one blow to the stomach could cause serious problems. I think he is taking a risk playing again, and I don't know that we should be taking a risk on him.