All-Purpose MLB Thread! (2019-2021)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Webb wasn't great, but at least kept it manageable and still went 6 innings. BP picked him up big with 3 scoreless innings on only 3 hits, no walks.

I'd feel so great if we had one more higher end starter to complete Webb/Gausman. This might be one of the best offenses the Giants have ever had (if not THE best) and we're deeper than any team outside of the Dodgers. The bullpen has really come together the last few months and I think is as deep as we were during our title run teams. Rogers/McGee is an excellent closing duo. Watson thankfully remembered how to pitch and has been great again in a Giants uni.

This isn't about how Dodger's fans feel, this is about how Giant's fans feel.
Speak for yourself. ;)

BTW, it's so weird seeing cocky, confident Giants fan emerging from their 7 year hibernation slumber.

Living in SAC, I had become used to Giants gear not being so prevalent each day I go out somewhere. Now suddenly it's everywhere again.

Band wagon'ers!!!

Speak for yourself. ;)

BTW, it's so weird seeing cocky, confident Giants fan emerging from their 7 year hibernation slumber.

Living in SAC, I had become used to Giants gear not being so prevalent each day I go out somewhere. Now suddenly it's everywhere again.

Band wagon'ers!!!
I have been wearing Giant's gear since the late 70s no matter how they played. Same goes for the 49ers. And the Kings since 1985. I have never understood the idea of only showing your fandom when your team is winning.

I have been wearing Giant's gear since the late 70s no matter how they played. Same goes for the 49ers. And the Kings since 1985. I have never understood the idea of only showing your fandom when your team is winning.
I'm with you there. My Dodgers hadn't won a title since I was a Senior in HS and were pretty bad at times during the 90's and early 2000's yet I still wore my Blue. Same goes for my Dolphins and Kings who have both been bad for long periods of time.

Regardless, I still can say I've noticed a major uptick in the amount of Giants gear I've seen over the course of the season compared to last season, the season before and the season before that. Very noticeable.

so truuuue. They had to go out and buy/trade for an all-star team while we continue to decimate everyone with dudes off the scrap heap that we turned into diamonds and our world series heroes from 10 years ago.
Stop with the "buy" crap. The Dodgers aren't the Yankees. The majority of the core of their team are home grown. Or reclamation projects that were rejects from other teams.

And while they have made deadline trades for some notable names over the past few years ALL of those trades were made using top tier farm system talent they've drafted and developed. Because they've had one of the best farm systems in baseball.

Trevor Bauer is really the only notable name they've "bought" since Andrew Friedman has been running the team and that was this season and he hasn't played in months and likely will never play for the Dodgers again.

Kershaw, Buehler, Urias, May, Jansen, Lux, Seager, Bellinger, Smith, and Barnes were all developed in the Dodgers farm system.

Justin Turner and Max Muncy were cast offs from other teams that became all-star player for LA.

The Dodgers traded a top prospect pitcher for Chris Taylor, who wasn't at all the player he's developed into when in SEA.

The Dodgers traded elite prospects for Mookie Betts, Max Scherzer and Trea Turner. They didn't "buy" them.

I realize Giants fan is programmed to believe otherwise, but this Dodgers team wasn't built in the manner you've been fooled into believing.

Btw, you're in the midst of ONE good season with what you've referred to as a "scrap heap" team. Don't get too ahead of yourself. How'd the past 6 years go for SF?

Let's see how this season finishes and let's see if SF can possibly duplicate next season before gushing about "decimating" anyone. Again, where was this "decimation" the past 6 seasons??

Meanwhile the Dodgers are still in close striking distance to win their NINTH consecutive division title despite this historic run from SF.

I mean really think about it. It took the best season any Giants team has ever had (possibly) and numerous and significant injuries to Seager, Betts, Kershaw, May and several others to make this race even possible. Yet it's still only 2.5 games.

Lastly, it's pretty rich to not to mention the Giants trading for a former MVP and current All-Star in Kris Bryant. Is he considered part of the scrap heap too?

Last edited:
Stop with the "buy" crap. The Dodgers aren't the Yankees. The majority of the core of their team are home grown. Or reclamation projects that were rejects from other teams.

And while they have made deadline trades for some notable names over the past few years ALL of those trades were made using top tier farm system talent they've drafted and developed. Because they've had one of the best farm systems in baseball.

Trevor Bauer is really the only notable name they've "bought" since Andrew Friedman has been running the team and that was this season and he hasn't played in months and likely will never play for the Dodgers again.

Kershaw, Buehler, Urias, May, Jansen, Lux, Seager, Bellinger, Smith, and Barnes were all developed in the Dodgers farm system.

Justin Turner and Max Muncy were cast offs from other teams that became all-star player for LA.

The Dodgers traded a top prospect pitcher for Chris Taylor, who wasn't at all the player he's developed into when in SEA.

The Dodgers traded elite prospects for Mookie Betts, Max Scherzer and Trea Turner. They didn't "buy" them.

I realize Giants fan is programmed to believe otherwise, but this Dodgers team wasn't built in the manner you've been fooled into believing.

Btw, you're in the midst of ONE good season with what you've referred to as a "scrap heap" team. Don't get too ahead of yourself. How'd the past 6 years go for SF?

Let's see how this season finishes and let's see if SF can possibly duplicate next season before gushing about "decimating" anyone. Again, where was this "decimation" the past 6 seasons??

Meanwhile the Dodgers are still in close striking distance to win their NINTH consecutive division title despite this historic run from SF.

I mean really think about it. It took the best season any Giants team has ever had (possibly) and numerous and significant injuries to Seager, Betts, Kershaw, May and several others to make this race even possible. Yet it's still only 2.5 games.

Lastly, it's pretty rich to not to mention the Giants trading for a former MVP and current All-Star in Kris Bryant. Is he considered part of the scrap heap too?
Nothing sweeter than Dodger fan tears

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Lol @ the quarter billion dollar annual roster not being bought.

I won’t lie and it pains to admit it, the Dodgers do a lot right … they also spend a lot of GD money and it’s downright silly to argue that.

BTW, the Giants have also been missing big portions of their roster most of the season long. Sure it’s not the All-Star team the Dodgers run, but still pretty funny that’s completely unmentioned in your post.

I won’t lie and it pains to admit it, the Dodgers do a lot right … they also spend a lot of GD money and it’s downright silly to argue that.

BTW, the Giants have also been missing big portions of their roster most of the season long. Sure it’s not the All-Star team the Dodgers run, but still pretty funny that’s completely unmentioned in your post.
Oh for sure. Like he said, they were only able to flip because their farm system was so freaking good and they're probably the best in the league at developing prospects. But they have the largest budget in baseball by like 50 million; this isn't some underdog team that's scraping by on their own developmental like the Rays.

To be fair, the Giants also have one of the larger payrolls in baseball. But 100 million difference, should make a difference no?

I'm with you there. My Dodgers hadn't won a title since I was a Senior in HS and were pretty bad at times during the 90's and early 2000's yet I still wore my Blue. Same goes for my Dolphins and Kings who have both been bad for long periods of time.

Regardless, I still can say I've noticed a major uptick in the amount of Giants gear I've seen over the course of the season compared to last season, the season before and the season before that. Very noticeable.
That is pretty much par for the course everywhere there is a sports team.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Feels like Leone just pitched 3 days ago. This bullpen nonsense is going to bite us if we keep it up.

No idea why we didn’t / haven’t used Quintana since he got back.

& Thank you Crawford.

No tears here. But living in NorCal and being surrounded on all sides by herds of over-zealous Giants fans, it gets tiring hearing the nonsensical narratives being spun.

Giants fan acts as if they are A’s fans when in fact SF signs and trades for all-star players too and are typically well above average in total payroll and in the top 10.

Giants fan likes to complain about the Dodgers payroll when they are currently top 10 and spending over 120M (supposedly on scrap heap players, right?). Ask A’s fan how they’d feel if OAK could spend twice the amount they do.

I got news for you. Your team is not the ‘lil engine that could being drastically out spent by most every team in the league. The Giants org has tremendous resources and are ”have‘s” not “have nots”.

Let’s not forget they are the franchise that at one time went out and signed mega free agent Barry Bonds. And they just traded for a multi-time all-star who was an MVP just 5 years ago.

So stop with the sandbagging. The Giants aren’t much different than the Dodgers. Except the Dodgers have had a better farm system which is how they’ve had the assets to make these blockbuster trades. The Giants are no more made up of home grown talent than LA is.

As for how the teams will finish this season, I’ve felt all season that LAD will come out on top. Whether they do or whether they don’t it doesn’t change the fact that SF had had a phenomenal season. If SF wins the division, hats off to them. Upsets happen. That’s sports.

Last edited:
Spending $$$ to retain your own players is not the same as outright buying players from other teams. Which is what the Yankees have typically done. I know you’re smart enough to understand the difference.

The Giants “bought” Barry Bonds. The Dodgers retained Clayton Kershaw, Justin Turner and many others.

They traded away valuable assets to obtain Mookie Betts then spent lots of money to retain him. They may do the same for Max Scherzer and Trea Turner. And lose Corey Seager because of it.

I’m not denying the Dodgers have resources many others don’t. But there are many that compare them to Yankees when they haven’t operated in the same way. They aren’t pilfering the A’s and using them or any other low level franchise as a farm team.

Lastly, the Giants current 26 man roster payroll is 122M. The Dodgers is 187M. There’s a much larger gap between the A’s and Giants than Giants and Dodgers.

Many Giants fans need to stop pretending they are one of the sister’s of the poor when compared to LAD.

Status
Not open for further replies.