All-Purpose MLB Thread! (2019-2021)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Turns out the Giants will actually meet with MadBum’s people, so there’s still hope.

Apparently they’re the current high bidders on OF Nick Castellanos, who I know nothing about. Quick research says 27 year old power bat who’s a mediocre fielder.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Giants trade for Zack Cozart and Will Wilson for a PTBNL. Essentially took on Cozart’s bad contract to buy Wilson who was the #15 pick of last year’s draft and the Angels #4 prospect.

Signed Kevin Gausman, which seems like a Pomeranz-like deal. Upside arm that fell on hard times, sighed for one year and can be dealt if he finds himself.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Garrit Cole signs with the Yankees for way too much money (9 / 324mil)

And with that, Ken Rosenthal reports that..., the Dodgers will shift their attention to MadBum.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Yeah, never in my life have I been so disinterested in the Giants.

Just won’t be the same without MadBum on the bump.
Cueto/Samardzija/Uhh..../that other guy/Gooseman

That is depressing. Lol, The Giants are going to lose 100 games next year, and I’m all for it. I hope the stadium is completely empty every step of the way.

Can’t wait to hear what “baseball reasons” the powers in charge have for letting MadBum walk.

Fun Fact; Jeff freakin’ Samardzija is getting paid more than 30 million more by the Giants than they offered MadBum,

SLAB

Hall of Famer
How about this cheating scandal, eh?

And with Altuve potentially wearing a buzzer on his person to tip incoming pitches; This really puts my “Barry Bonds isn’t in the Hall of Fame because he was a jerk to the writers” take to the test here. Because Altuve is the anti-Bonds. He’s universally beloved. We’ll see what the writers have to say many years down the line.

All I know is Bonds had some help; but he did what he did without a damn buzzer on his body.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
People somehow saying that Mike Fiers was wrong for blowing the whistle on the Astros maybe the hot take bad enough for me to quit the internet in general.

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
People somehow saying that Mike Fiers was wrong for blowing the whistle on the Astros maybe the hot take bad enough for me to quit the internet in general.
That is a doozy of a hot take. He didn't even spill the beans while he was on the team but rather while he was on a division rival that lost the division to the Astros the last two seasons... a team he knew was cheating. And he did it to protect his fellow pitchers from losing their jobs because of it. What's disgraceful about that?

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Giants resigned Pablo and are interested in bringing Hunter Pence back.

Gotta get those fan favorites back for the upcoming dark ages!!!

SLAB

Hall of Famer
“Yeah, we let MadBum walk to a division rival for relative peanuts, so here’s Panda and Pence. Enjoy your 100 loss season!”
-Giants management

(Won’t lie while I completely disagree with not resigning Bum, I’m actually 100% up for a complete and total rebuild... so this offseason has been okay with me)

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Oh never mind, it was Aubrey Huff I was thinking of. Duh.
Oh Yeah... he’s very likely not going to even be invited to celebrate the 10-year anniversary of 2010. Which sucks because he was such a massive central part of that run.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Looks like the Giants are bringing back Hunter Pence! May as well bring back fan favorites to help fans forget they’re losing 100+ games in a full rebuild.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
They also signed Billy Hamilton. Won’t lie. I’m all in on a Pence - Hamilton - Puig outfield.

As nice a story Yaz was, he won’t repeat it. 30 year old breakout rookies usually don’t maintain their breakout. Dickerson will stub his toe and be out all season. And Duggar is also always injured and just as bad as Hamilton at the plate.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Am I jerk because I don’t care at all and also just find it hilarious that it cost the Dodgers a World Series?

Naaaaaa, #BeatLA forever. Any means necessary. I hope they beat them again.

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
Oh, are those baby Astros upset that other players are saying mean things about them now? Cry me a river. Give back your tainted World Series rings then. They've cost the A's a division win two yeaes in a row by demolishing the rest of the league with 100+ win seasons fueled by elaborate sign stealing schemes. Everybody knows you cheated last year bud, regardless of what's written in that report. If you're so much more talented than everyone else why did you feel the need to cheat in the first place?

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
General sports fans who treat any news as an opportunity to confirm their existing biases will probably see this as further evidence of the A's being cheap, but I think they're just embracing the reality of where media has shifted and is continuing to shift -- off terrestrial broadcasting streams and on to online platforms. The A's last long-term radio partner was basically a Giants-centric station that treated the A's as the red-headed step child of the Bay Area despite ostensibly paying to broadcast their games. There was very little content that was of interest to actual Oakland A's fans before or after the games. What they've built instead, is actually a substantial improvement.

From the A's press release:
In addition to game broadcasts, A’s Cast features a daily live sports talk show, A’s Cast Live, and special programming, including The David Forst Show, a regular sit-down with the A’s general manager; The Bob Melvin Show, a weekly interview with the A’s manager; The Build with Dave Kaval, a podcast on the vision, characters, and stories about the team’s new ballpark project; Taking Effect, a feature hosted by Ken Korach which includes long-form interviews on a number of baseball topics; A Season on the Road, a segment where Vince Cotroneo takes listeners on the road with the team; The Farm; a segment featuring the A’s Minor League affiliates; A’s Unfiltered, a podcast with stories from the A’s scouting, business operations, and baseball operations teams; Green and Gold History, a recurring series focusing on the colorful and engaging history of the A’s franchise; The Path: Building the MLB dream, which profiles a player’s journey to the Majors; A’s All Night; a recap of each A’s game; and High and Tight, up-to-the-minute news and stories from around MLB.

In 2019, A’s Cast eclipsed all other MLB teams to become the No. 1 MLB team podcast, marking the first time the A’s have had the league’s most popular and downloaded property.
Once again the A's are just ahead of the curve in seeing where the future is headed and getting there first. Don't be surprised if every team in MLB is devoting most of their resources to online media 10 years from now and radio is a complete after-thought. The only time I ever listened to A's games on the radio was when I was traveling between Sacramento and LA and the signal would cut out somewhere around Fresno anyway. Cell coverage eclipses the operating range of radio a million times over. TV broadcasts (delivered via cable or satellite) will take a little longer but they're going away too.

General sports fans who treat any news as an opportunity to confirm their existing biases will probably see this as further evidence of the A's being cheap, but I think they're just embracing the reality of where media has shifted and is continuing to shift -- off terrestrial broadcasting streams and on to online platforms. The A's last long-term radio partner was basically a Giants-centric station that treated the A's as the red-headed step child of the Bay Area despite ostensibly paying to broadcast their games. There was very little content that was of interest to actual Oakland A's fans before or after the games. What they've built instead, is actually a substantial improvement.

From the A's press release:

Once again the A's are just ahead of the curve in seeing where the future is headed and getting there first. Don't be surprised if every team in MLB is devoting most of their resources to online media 10 years from now and radio is a complete after-thought. The only time I ever listened to A's games on the radio was when I was traveling between Sacramento and LA and the signal would cut out somewhere around Fresno anyway. Cell coverage eclipses the operating range of radio a million times over. TV broadcasts (delivered via cable or satellite) will take a little longer but they're going away too.
Sorry, losing a major distribution channel in your own market is NEVER a good thing.

It’s not like they’re saving millions by not having a bay area radio carrier. They’re losing millions. This is pure A’s PR spin.

Congrats to them on being a first mover in pods and online streaming, but it’ll only be a matter of time before the other teams do the same (those with tv, radio, n online/pods).

On another note: Manfred is done as commissioner. The Kings FO looks like geniuses compared to the way the Astros n Manfred have handled this cheating fiasco.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.