Ailene Voisin: Adelman must prove himself now

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
http://www.sacbee.com/content/sports/story/14238284p-15058755c.html

Rick Adelman hasn't been squeezed like this in eight seasons in Sacramento. In fact, the most successful coach in franchise history might have less wiggle room on the bench than any coach in the league. He probably needs at least one playoff series to make a convincing case for another contract. He undeniably needs the Kings to finish with a flourishbecause, while his immediate boss (Geoff Petrie) has his back, he also has owners who want more for their millions - perhaps even a sharp change of direction (one that emphasizes defense) - regardless of the fact their team has undergone more makeovers than Maybelline. So this is a race to the end, the tenor of a finale.

Phil Jackson is no longer vacationing and available, but someone else invariably is. Someone always is.

"We want to wait until the end of the year to make any decisions," Kings co-owner Joe Maloof reiterated during Sunday's crucial 106-96 victory over the Los Angeles Clippers. "We just think it's better for everyone."

Translation? Petrie has more clout than most of his colleagues, but owners ultimately make the coaching call. And compounding Adelman's plight - along with the brutal closing schedule - are the numerous in-house matters that have yet to be determined.

Here are just a few: (1) deciding when - and if - the vastly improved Kevin Martin will return to the starting lineup in place of veteran Bonzi Wells; (2) determining how to distribute minutes between power forwards, both of whom perceive themselves as starters, though one is more adept at defense and rebounding, the other one at scoring but only slightly more proficient at biting his lip while biding his time; (3) figuring how to incorporate Ron Artest into an offense without stagnating into a one-man show; and (4) somehow countering his own offense-first instincts for the sake of sustaining the passionate defensive mentality that anchored last month's surprising surge.

All together now - no, one by one now - these issues turn the Chris Webber Debate into a one-sided chat. The answer was obvious two years ago and is even more obvious now. (See the Phoenix Suns and Amare Stoudemire.) Severely limited after the delicate microfracture knee surgery, Webber should have been eased into the rotation and required to complement teammates who, during his absence, performed with poise and precision while streaking to the league's best record.

That decision by Adelman - the enabling of Webber at the expense of everyone else - ranks high among his defining moments. That was the Big One, the one that shook the franchise.

But this is a transition era, an inevitable occurrence in all of sports, if a more perplexing conundrum than most. Though Adelman refused to discuss any of these issues with this Bee columnist Sunday, his record and decisions speak for themselves - impressively, when one considers the full body of work. Now Adelman, too, moves on to the next phase. The season that began with a nightmare tipoff in Oklahoma City stalled at midseason, only to be revived by the acquisition of Artest, then sputtered again, started again and now takes its erratic act on the road.

This is about the end game, about the tough, even agonizing decisions. Who starts between Martin and Wells? How does Adelman keep Kenny Thomas and Shareef Abdur-Rahim from sulking? How does he compensate for the abundance of low-post players? What offense best exploits Artest's talents without limiting the creativity of Brad Miller and big-shot capabilities of Mike Bibby? What is the best way to approach the fierce, yet fragile Artest - how much coaxing, how much scolding, how much interaction is necessary?

And what about the defense? According to past and current Kings, Adelman preaches and teaches offense, as reflected in practices. Can he adjust and adapt before the playoffs - and before the Maloofs rush to judgment? Don't for a single second underestimate the influence of the Monarchs' defensive ferocity on the Kings' owners. Joe and Gavin see that WNBA championship ring, they think defense and rebounding. They see the Detroit Pistons and San Antonio Spurs, they think the same thing. (There was a reason they so aggressively pursued Artest.)

"It's not going to be perfect every night," Adelman noted during his news conference late Sunday. "We're a group that hasn't been together that long, and we're still trying to find our way."

This is still his team.

This is still his team to lead.

She forgot to mention that he doesn't have to stay if he doesn't want to (and I hope he does).

Plenty of other teams would love to have him, I know that.

I love how Ailene always knows what other people are thinking, especially since nobody wants to speak to her. Well, I suppose she always her undisclosed sources/ voices to backup here articles. This is what the Maloofs are thinking, and this is what Adelman is thinking...blah, blah, blah. Am I missing something or she telepathic?

Rick Adelman has nothing to prove. Everyone that counts, including other coaches and NBA players, know that he is a great coach. He has again proven his talent by virtue of his handling of Ron Artest. Petrie and the Maloofs have swapped-out nearly all of the 2001-2002 team. Brad and Mike have not given up on Adelman. Adelman takes alleged outlaws and turns them into solid citizens. He has kept some very difficult personalities in the loop. The Maloofs need to offer to mow Adelman's lawn!

quick dog said:
Rick Adelman has nothing to prove. Everyone that counts, including other coaches and NBA players, know that he is a great coach. He has again proven his talent by virtue of his handling of Ron Artest. Petrie and the Maloofs have swapped-out nearly all of the 2001-2002 team. Brad and Mike have not given up on Adelman. Adelman takes alleged outlaws and turns them into solid citizens. He has kept some very difficult personalities in the loop. The Maloofs need to offer to mow Adelman's lawn!

I could not possibly agree more whole heartedly!

AV-speak to english translation: "This team might actually accomplish something this season...gotta keep putting heat on Adelman. Must fire Adelman. Must fire Adelman..."

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Gotta love how she slipped...no, more like shoved, stuffed, crunched...in her normal Webber idiocy in a complete non sequitur in the middle of the story.

Bricklayer said:
Gotta love how she slipped...no, more like shoved, stuffed, crunched...in her normal Webber idiocy in a complete non sequitur in the middle of the story.
Well, she was talking about Adelman's coaching decisions, and that was definitely his biggest one, or at least the one that was most debated. She didn't even take a stand, but yes, Adelman does have a history of questionable decisions (just like any coach).

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Oh, look. It's sloter. I was actually wondering if you'd weigh in on this post. You'll be pleased to know I won the bet with myself...

;)

As far as Voisin NOT taking a stand, I have to worry about you. Has your memory slipped that badly? Voisin - with BOTH Webber and Adelman in her sights - had some of what had to have been her favorite columns during the period of time in question.

I think the beauty of the "Adelman question" at this time is the significant positive shift in fan-opinion that I think has occurred over the past 18 months. A lot of fans were getting pretty skeptical of Adelman two years ago. I dare say that his current favorability is very high because of the style in which he has handled adversity.

This guy is a real asset, and I think most Kings fans know it! Two years ago, I suspect the fan-vote of confidence might have been 50-50. The timing of Voisin's article is perfect. It supports my assertion.

Whatever you think of AV and the Great Webber Debate, please note that she is contradicting herself and basically, just plain lying. A number of times she blamed "it" on Webber not cooperating with Rick. Now when it is convinient she is changing the tune - again.

VF21 said:
Oh, look. It's sloter. I was actually wondering if you'd weigh in on this post. You'll be pleased to know I won the bet with myself...

;)

As far as Voisin NOT taking a stand, I have to worry about you. Has your memory slipped that badly? Voisin - with BOTH Webber and Adelman in her sights - had some of what had to have been her favorite columns during the period of time in question.
No, I know that Voisin just like myself and a few other Kings fans, is not very fond of Webber or Adelman, but in this particular article the Webber reference is not that biased. From the way it was put, it just reminds the reader of that particular coaching decision, leaving it up to him to decide whether it was good or bad.
I think the article is right on: Adelman could not get it done with Webber in lineup, he didn't get it done with the Stojakovic-Bibby-Miller core (even thought preseason predictions were very favorable for the Kings) and if he underachieves with Artest Kings, well then Adelman still may prove something, but not what we want him to prove.

Quote: "We want to wait until the end of the year to make any decisions," Kings co-owner Joe Maloof reiterated during Sunday's crucial 106-96 victory over the Los Angeles Clippers. "We just think it's better for everyone."

Translation: Adelman is not here next year, unless some miracle happens, like beating the Spurs in the playoffs.

I like Rick - but I think that Maloofs already have him 95% out the door. This is not meant as a Personnel Moves comment - it is simply to say that I don't think the Maloofs are as open to Rick as AV makes it sound - or that the next month is going to sway them as much as AV makes it sound.

The better question to pose would be whether Adelman wants to stick around, but this being Ailene it's not surprising the angle she took. Both sides are positioning themselves to look like they rejected the other side.

IMO, Adelman is the one who has an upper hand. He has no obligations to anybody but himself. He doesn't have to kiss anybody's butts; the Maloofs are the ones who will have to make amends. Adelman can go and stink it up elsewhere and none of us would care much, but the Maloofs have to find someone to follow up Adelman. And whoever replaces Adelman will have huge expectations placed on them.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Packt said:
The better question to pose would be whether Adelman wants to stick around, but this being Ailene it's not surprising the angle she took. Both sides are positioning themselves to look like they rejected the other side.

IMO, Adelman is the one who has an upper hand. He has no obligations to anybody but himself. He doesn't have to kiss anybody's butts; the Maloofs are the ones who will have to make amends. Adelman can go and stink it up elsewhere and none of us would care much, but the Maloofs have to find someone to follow up Adelman. And whoever replaces Adelman will have huge expectations placed on them.
Bravo.

Insomniacal Fan said:
Journalists report news, they don't create it.
yeah........theoretically. voison's been makin' up **** and stirrin' up **** since adelman and webber came to town. there's no "news" to report when concerning this column. it's an opinion piece. it has been made known on many occasions that adelman is in the final year of his contract. voison just likes to remind people by throwing in her token digs at adelman and webber.

With the way the Kings are being inconsistent again, Adelman is no longer looking like a sure thing as coach next season. All the top teams (Detroit, San Antonio, Dallas, Miami, Phoenix) with the exception of Phoenix have a defensive minded coach. Adelman is a great offensive coach and even though he has talent on this roster, he won't be able to get this team to be competitive against the top teams in the playoffs. When Adelman doesn't have the offensive firepower he did with Sacramento of 2001-2003 and with Portland in the early nineties, he's not able to get a team very far in the playoffs. I'd keep Adelman if somehow Kevin Garnett replaced Kenny Thomas, but that's not gonna happen. We do not have roster that is spectacular offensively, therefore we're gonna have to find a coach who'll improve the team's overall defense.

The thing that makes a coaching change less desirable is that fact that Adelman is a proven coach (offensely) and there's nobody real noteworthy who's available.

King4Life said:
We do not have roster that is spectacular offensively, therefore we're gonna have to find a coach who'll improve the team's overall defense.

The thing that makes a coaching change less desirable is that fact that Adelman is a proven coach (offensely) and there's nobody real noteworthy who's available.
Don't those two sentences pretty much cancel out?
~~

Alacron said:
Don't those two sentences pretty much cancel out?
~~
What I'm saying is that if we want to compete with top teams in the playoffs who defense oriented, we're going to need a coaching change, cause Adelman can't do it ...however it could also blow-up in our faces if the next coach is a complete failure, thus we should continue with Adelman who's proven to get the teams to playoffs. The Maloofs are going to have to make a decision on whether they are willing to risk bringing in a new coach.

King4Life said:
What I'm saying is that if we want to compete with top teams in the playoffs who defense oriented, we're going to need a coaching change, cause Adelman can't do it ...however it could also blow-up in our faces if the next coach is a complete failure, thus we should continue with Adelman who's proven to get the teams to playoffs. The Maloofs are going to have to make a decision on whether they are willing to risk bringing in a new coach.
Again, I'm confused as to what your stance is, since "we're going to need a coaching change" and at the same time "we should continue with Adelman."

BTW... as far as "Adelman can't do it" defensively... 2002-2003 is all I have to say.

Yes I'm snippy right now, but no, I haven't been drinking. Ask me after the San Antonio game. ;)
~~

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
King4Life said:
This is so tired...and so wrong. We have competed with top teams in the playoffs BECAUSE of Rick Adelman, not in spite of him. Our problem primarily is that you cannot make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. Our team is NOT built for defense.

I have the strong feeling we won't have Rick Adelman to kick around after this year. HE has the option to turn down a contract, even if the Maloofs offer it. And if he does, he'll be gobbled up in a heartbeat by another team.

Our team ISN'T THAT GOOD! Period. Adelman has done the best he could with a roster that would have led other coaches to resign in frustration and disgust.

I remember how it was before Rick Adelman. Guys like Dick Motta, Bill Russell, Gary St. Jean, Jerry Reynolds, Phil Johnson, etc. They came and left like shoppers in the "10 items or less" line.

Adelman is a GOOD coach. One of the best. We will probably say good-bye to him at the end of the season but it won't be because he's not defensive-minded enough.

...sigh...

VF21 said:
This is so tired...and so wrong. We have competed with top teams in the playoffs BECAUSE of Rick Adelman, not in spite of him. Our problem primarily is that you cannot make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. Our team is NOT built for defense.

I have the strong feeling we won't have Rick Adelman to kick around after this year. HE has the option to turn down a contract, even if the Maloofs offer it. And if he does, he'll be gobbled up in a heartbeat by another team.

Our team ISN'T THAT GOOD! Period. Adelman has done the best he could with a roster that would have led other coaches to resign in frustration and disgust.

I remember how it was before Rick Adelman. Guys like Dick Motta, Bill Russell, Gary St. Jean, Jerry Reynolds, Phil Johnson, etc. They came and left like shoppers in the "10 items or less" line.

Adelman is a GOOD coach. One of the best. We will probably say good-bye to him at the end of the season but it won't be because he's not defensive-minded enough.

...sigh...
I never said he was a bad coach. The offensive machine that the Kings were in 2000-2003 was due to Rick Adelman and the right blend of talented players. It was a good fit. This team isn't a good fit with Adelman because they are not strong offensively, so there is a limit as to how far he can take them. Defensively the team needs work and that isn't Adelman's specialty. Although I find Adelman a much much better coach than Don Nelson, I think the situation is similar to what it was in Dallas. The Kings need an Avery Johnson type coach who will change the way they play. Now that type of coach probably isn't available, but maybe the Maloofs will give Elston Turner a chance as the coach.

King4Life said:
Now that type of coach probably isn't available, but maybe the Maloofs will give Elston Turner a chance as the coach.
why would they assume that elston, adelman's right hand man, would do a better job as head coach? i seriously doubt the maloofs would decide not to extend a new contract to adelman just so they could advance one of his assistants. i suspect the maloofs will make a decision based on the outlook of the head coaches free agent market.