AD requests trade

My untouchables are Fox, Bagley and Hield.

I'm willing to part with anyone else. Not sure there's enough talent outside of those 3 to make it happen.
You have to be ok with giving up Bagley. If the Kings are willing to do so we can make a legitimately tempting offer. Only under the condition that Davis re-signs for supermax of course. Fox and Davis together would be dynamic.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I'd offer anything but Fox and Bagley for AD but not without a commitment to an extension, otherwise, he wants to win championships and compete in the Playoffs and his best bet is to do that with another established star.

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
Anthony Davis's contract is signed until next year. If we give him the 5 year $240million max, it would start in the summer of 2020 correct?

AD+Hill would account for $40million. Let's assume we traded Hield+Bagley+Giles+Jackson which would be for $19.28million.

We'd only have $40.59million on the books with the rest of our contracts including Willie's $11.7million cap hold.

Brings our salaries to $61.31million, the cap is set at $109million... so total cap space is: $47.7million.

I believe Kevin Durant's max contract would be 4 years $164million...bringing us to $41million (first year a little less).

Fox/Yogi
Bogdanovic
Durant/Hill
Bjelica/WCS/Skal
Davis

Bench is very weak though. We'd just have to hope someone believes in the starting core of Fox-Bogdan-Durant-Bjelica-Davis to make a finals run and take a big discount. Proven players who have made enough money and are at the end of their prime, or near the end of their careers but still good: Jeremy Lin, Tyreke Evans, JJ Reddick, DeMaree Carroll, etc.
Right but then Davis' new contract puts us in the luxury tax and we haven't re-signed Fox (2 years left) or Bogdanovic (1 year left) yet. I don't think the super-team strategy is doable anymore unless somebody takes a steep pay cut or signs an extension at below-market value before they develop into a star.

With the way Davis misses games and leaves games for every bump/bruise I don't understand the intrigue for us, in most the Pelicans successful runs in the last few seasons have been on the backs of Holiday (single handedly decimated Portland)/Tyreke/Rondo setting up the team and Davis in particular rather than him carrying he's not a Embidd/Jokic where you can run the system through him and let him carry you to a successful record.

Los Angeles should meet whatever demands that New Orleans makes. They should turn over their entire roster to the Pelicans and say, you can have anybody and everybody, except for LeBron James.

If Davis is still a Pelican after the trade deadline, he's going to Boston. Guaranteed.
Yep, this a great opportunity to keep LBJ in LaLa land.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Maybe we should just cancel the regular season next year and let the Warriors and Lakers duke it out....
The last time the Lakers tried building a superteam, Steve Nash wound up retiring, Kobe broke, and Dwight Howard went from being one of the ten best players in the league to being a malcontent tossed around the league like a hot potato.

Just because these things CAN work out, doesn't mean they will.

For every Golden State team, there's another Kobe-Shaq-Mailman-Gary Payton superteam.

The drama over this is interesting. If I am the Pels, I call Rich Paul's buff and wait for the Boston offer in the summer. And if that happens, then Paul kind of ****ed over his client. I say "kind of", because Boston is still a good situation. It will just be awkward because of all the noise that was put out there.

Back with the Cousins situation, his agent was often pushing things that were disruptive to Cousins himself.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
four first round picks? good luck on that. They won't be early lottery picks unless you're looking 3-4 years down the road. If I'm New Orleans, I'm waiting to see who wins the Zion Williamson & RJ Barrett sweepstakes

Also, I just want to point out that Jahlil Okafor is killing it right now. I don't know what the Pels plans are for the future, or if Jah is involved. But if he keeps playing like this, it's gotta take a tiny bit of the sting away. Guy is playing like an all star at times.

As much as I dislike the Lakers, the Pelicans are being greedy aholes and I hope it comes back to bite them. They offered the whole god darn team for Davis PLUS 2 1st round picks, but it's not enough???? holy hell. Imagine if we got this kind of offer for Cousins.
If this is true the Pelicans have LOST their mind! This is a ridiculously lopsided offer, even for AD! That's basically the entire Lakers roster, plus picks, plus taking on Solo Hill.

Last edited by a moderator:
If they are truly interested in Zion, what's to prevent NO from taking this trade, and then offering back some of the assets to whoever wins the draft lotto?

Is there a rule on that? Maybe Zion is more valuable than I'm thinking.

As much as I dislike the Lakers, the Pelicans are being greedy aholes and I hope it comes back to bite them. They offered the whole god darn team for Davis PLUS 2 1st round picks, but it's not enough???? holy hell. Imagine if we got this kind of offer for Cousins.
I love it. I hope LA gives in and this deal blows up in their face. LeBron turns 35 this year. Father time will be catching up with him sooner rather than later.

I love it. I hope LA gives in and this deal blows up in their face. LeBron turns 35 this year. Father time will be catching up with him sooner rather than later.
I know we keep saying it... but it's like he becomes back better and better(never like Miami Bron though). His day will come, but it'll come on his terms.

And if they do fall apart, those picks offered up become valuable. Instead of picks in the 20+ range, they would be looking at 10+ range.

I believe there were top 10 protections on the picks offered up however.

Why would the Pelicans want major pieces from the Lakers young players who while showing individual potential here and there could not put much together last year. Jim Rome talked about this on his show. The Pelicans already have Randle. The trade would give them Ball, Kuzma, Ingrahm and Randle. How'd they look last year?

Also, I'm sure the Pelicans are not thrilled with Davis and his agent (and LeBron) trying to dictate their move. Your placement of "greedy assholes" may be misdirected.

Also, I'm sure the Pelicans are not thrilled with Davis and his agent trying to dictate their move. Your placement of "greedy assholes" may be misdirected.
Moreso than any of the player directed moves of the past 2-3 years, this impacts the future of the league and I am certain that there is a lot of peer pressure on NO ownership not to give in unless the Lakers make a deal that is so far beyond one-sided they can't refuse.

Kuzma is what he is to me, a very good offensive player, but poor defender with a limited ceiling. He's a very good 6th man.

However, I think Ball and Ingram have much more to bring to the table than what they've shown. Ball has looked really good without LeBron, and I think his dad and the bright lights of LA have really clouded people's judgement of him. He gets a lot more hate than is deserved I feel. He's going to be great. He's just in a bad position.

Ingram has the tools. I think he can break out at any point. Just needs more coaching and better development.

Zubac has been very good as of late and I don't think he's reached his ceiling yet.

Hart and KCP are solid role players.

I also don't think Walton is a particularly good coach. None of the young guys have developed under his tutelage. I don't think it's coincidence. All of these guys need a new home.

So for me, the Pels request of 4 first round picks is already there. With Kuzma being a questionable third. What level of first round picks are they going to get that have more potential than Ball and Ingram? It's basically:

Ball (1st round pick)
Ingram (1st round pick)
Kuzma (Late 1st round)
+
First round pick (top 10 protection)
First round pick (top 10 protection)
+
Solo Hill cap space

Ball
Holiday
Ingram
Randle
Okafor

Kuzma super 6th man off the bench.
Zubac off the bench + others

That's a good start to me, plus the picks.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member

If the Lakers in fact offered this, it's outrageous. Even for Anthony Davis, that's a huge overpay. Two picks, two guys drafted at #2 within the last three years, Kuzma, Zubac, Hart...AND salary relief? Basically, if the Pelicans turned that offer down and I'm the Lakers, that offer NEVER gets back on the table. Not even close. My offer at this point drops to Kuzma, Ingram, one pick, and no salary relief. Passing on this double-Godfather deal is, to me, dealing in bad faith. To the point that I would probably never call the current Pelicans FO on a trade call again, and may not answer the phone if they called.

If the Lakers in fact offered this, it's outrageous. Even for Anthony Davis, that's a huge overpay. Two picks, two guys drafted at #2 within the last three years, Kuzma, Zubac, Hart...AND salary relief? Basically, if the Pelicans turned that offer down and I'm the Lakers, that offer NEVER gets back on the table. Not even close. My offer at this point drops to Kuzma, Ingram, one pick, and no salary relief. Passing on this double-Godfather deal is, to me, dealing in bad faith. To the point that I would probably never call the current Pelicans FO on a trade call again, and may not answer the phone if they called.
Have to agree with this. If that offer is true, the Lakers offered the kitchen sink. I admire NO for saying no, but they're not going to get a better offer. That is a huge amount to give up for anyone.

On the flip side, why not wait until they see who gets Zion (probably an Eastern team) or take what the Celtics are offering. The Lakers strong armed their way into this position right now, but there's no urgency on NO's part to move before summer when teams can offer better deals centered around a better player than the package of potential that the Lakers are offering.

Why would the Pelicans want major pieces from the Lakers young players who while showing individual potential here and there could not put much together last year. Jim Rome talked about this on his show. The Pelicans already have Randle. The trade would give them Ball, Kuzma, Ingrahm and Randle. How'd they look last year?

Also, I'm sure the Pelicans are not thrilled with Davis and his agent (and LeBron) trying to dictate their move. Your placement of "greedy assholes" may be misdirected.
Not great but It’s still a young group. Maybe best that none of them save Kuzma are primed to command big money for their second deals. Unless it’s a given that Boston would part with a Tatum and other assets this summer The Lakers are offering the best all around deal that they can expect to get.

Typically teams in the Pels position with a star pretty much dictating where he’ll go and scaring off other suitors get weak deals...the Pelicans can really make out like bandits here which is rare. I mean, the farm with high ceiling prospects, cap relief, years of draft picks that IMO aren’t guaranteed to be of low value considering ADs injury history not to mention LeBron getting older(already starting to show his age as well, when has LeBron ever had to sit out over a month for what was originally listed as a D2D injury?) and projected lack of depth for years to come, helping their own draft position. They also still have assets like Holliday and to a lesser extent Mirotic that can bring back some value. I think they should do it

Last edited: