49ers discussion thread

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
And we start the annual discussion of the 49ers and those other teams ( ;) ) in the NFL.

NICE first-round pick by the Niners, who traded up to draft LSU free safety Eric Reid. I like it. :)

Raiders discussion

How about a certain Raiders team? :p

Anyways, terrible first draft pick by Mckenzie. He didn't leave a good impression on me by picking the eh corner with a REAL heart injury over the Defensive overlord with a psuedo heart injury(Star Lotulelei).

Last edited by a moderator:

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
How about a certain Raiders team? :p

Anyways, terrible first draft pick by Mckenzie. He didn't leave a good impression on me by picking the eh corner with a REAL heart injury over the Defensive overlord with a psuedo heart injury(Star Lotulelei).
Because nobody cares? ;) Start your own thread for that!

Last edited by a moderator:

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Today will tell us a lot. We have holes in our team and $7 mil under the salary cap. This isn't going to be easy. I like the 1st pick (safety). I think we need a defensive lineman as a priority and I hope we move up to have two high 2nd round picks. Then we have the luxury of shoring up positions that are just average as opposed to great.

Today will tell us a lot. We have holes in our team and $7 mil under the salary cap.
I thought I just saw that they re-worked Willis' contract to get $2.something million under the cap. I don't think they have much room to work with there, although the rookie salaries are somewhat fixed and should be a known quantity.

I'm not sure I'd say there are holes on the team, just a need for depth, especially now that there's a likely starter at safety. I agree that moving up for a couple 2nd round picks makes sense. Defensive line is a definite place to get depth. I'll be curious to see when they grab a backup QB prospect.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
I thought I just saw that they re-worked Willis' contract to get $2.something million under the cap. I don't think they have much room to work with there, although the rookie salaries are somewhat fixed and should be a known quantity.

I'm not sure I'd say there are holes on the team, just a need for depth, especially now that there's a likely starter at safety. I agree that moving up for a couple 2nd round picks makes sense. Defensive line is a definite place to get depth. I'll be curious to see when they grab a backup QB prospect.
Good to hear about the contract restructure. I suspect some other old pros will do the same. This could be a championship year and I think every Niner knows that and may be generous. Just a guess of course.

Are you sure the salaries are fixed? Crabtree held out in a contract dispute his rookie year. Actually I don't know the answer but just want to be sure you are correct.

I wanted Tank Carradine at DE based on almost nothing except he has a nickname the same as an old King. :) Anyway, they picked the Justin Smith replacement for the future and the Goldson replacement for now so that's good. Not sure what they absolutely need now. They have been mumbling about tight ends to fit their offense so we'll see.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Just picked Vance McDonald, a tight end. Gee, now what should I predict? Other than unloading picks to next year, maybe they will pick a guy who can return kicks.

Not sure why ESPN missed the pick. Ticks me off.

Last edited:
Good to hear about the contract restructure. I suspect some other old pros will do the same. This could be a championship year and I think every Niner knows that and may be generous. Just a guess of course.

Are you sure the salaries are fixed? Crabtree held out in a contract dispute his rookie year. Actually I don't know the answer but just want to be sure you are correct.

I wanted Tank Carradine at DE based on almost nothing except he has a nickname the same as an old King. :) Anyway, they picked the Justin Smith replacement for the future and the Goldson replacement for now so that's good. Not sure what they absolutely need now. They have been mumbling about tight ends to fit their offense so we'll see.
Forgot they need a TE, and it looks like they just got one.

I think the salaries can vary a little bit, but nothing like they were before the last lockout (when Crabtree held out). Not 100% sure, but close.

Finally, it's good to be a 49er fan. They got a 7th rounder and a 3rd rounder next year from the Titans to move down 6 spots, then later moved up 6 spots for a 6th rounder from the Packers this year. It's like a free 3rd round pick. Wow.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Baalke is great at manipulating the draft, isn't he?

Notice at the top of the 1st round how many offensive and defensive line men were picked. I think when the Niners picked Davis and Iupati a few years back they showed that having guys at the skill positions is fine but it won't work unless you have great lines. Maybe the skill positions were poor this year but it is striking how many linemen went high. It used to be that offensive linemen were an after thought. Maybe that was decades ago but still. Three of our offensive line men are 1st rounders and I've read articles that the once somewhat ignored position of right tackle is now a position that people absolutely know they must fill with a great lineman. Guards are seldom high picks but who can argue with having Iupati? Davis once answered a question about why he liked it when Iupati came to his defense in an after the play is over scuffle by saying "have you seen this guy?"

The Niners are ahead of the game in knowing how the game is changing. Even Alex Smith looked OK with the O line Baalke got for him.

As much as I loved Goldson and I really loved the guy, he was described as sometime getting lost in coverage. Getting an academic all american as his replacement doesn't guarantee football smarts, but it's a good start.

Last edited:
So we've got a little divisonal race going on here! Seahawks vs. Niners is going to be big next year. Can't wait to see how Boldin does, or if anyone's figured out the read option yet.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
49ers schedule for 2013:

pre-season:
8/8, 9:00 pm ET : Denver Broncos v San Francisco 49ers
8/16, 8:00 pm ET : San Francisco 49ers v Kansas City Chiefs
8/25, 8:00 pm ET : Minnesota Vikings v San Francisco 49ers · NBC
8/29, 10:00 pm ET : San Francisco 49ers v San Diego Chargers

Regular season schedule:

Wk Date Opponent Time Coverage
1 Sun Sep 8 Packers 4:25 PM ET FOX
2 Sun Sep 15 @Seahawks 8:30 PM ET NBC
3 Sun Sep 22 Colts 4:25 PM ET CBS
4 Thu Sep 26 @Rams 8:25 PM ET NFLN
5 Sun Oct 6 Texans 8:30 PM ET NBC
6 Sun Oct 13 Cardinals 4:25 PM ET FOX
7 Sun Oct 20 @Titans 4:05 PM ET FOX
8 Sun Oct 27 @Jaguars 1:00 PM ET FOX
9 --- BYE WEEK ---
10 Sun Nov 10 Panthers 4:05 PM ET FOX
11 Sun Nov 17 @Saints 4:25 PM ET FOX
12 Mon Nov 25 @Redskins 8:40 PM ET ESPN
13 Sun Dec 1 Rams 4:05 PM ET FOX
14 Sun Dec 8 Seahawks 4:25 PM ET FOX
15 Sun Dec 15 @Buccaneers 1:00 PM ET FOX
16 Mon Dec 23 Falcons 8:40 PM ET ESPN
17 Sun Dec 29 @Cardinals 4:25 PM ET FOX

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Wonder how Kaep will get on without his bro Crabtree...Those two had excellent chemistry, and it'll be hard to replace.
Update on Crabtree's status - 7/26/13:

http://www.wsoctv.com/feed/sports/football/michael-crabtree-achilles-injury-recovery-appears/fTy87/

We have what seems like relatively good news in regards to Michael Crabtree's recovery from his Achilles tear. According to beat writers at 49ers training camp, Crabtree was seen yesterday walking with what Matt Barrows described as a "black, plastic plate" on the back of his leg where his Achilles is situated. Today, Crabtree was seen walking around and the picture below appears to show the support. When asked how he was, he simply said, "I'm good."

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
And on the Justin Smith front - 7/26/13:

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/spor...red-Justin-Smith-is-Good-to-Go-217107491.html

...After one day of training camp, it appears the Niners have their answer. Smith should be just fine.

In the team’s opening day of full-squad practice, the four-time Pro Bowler – who anchors San Francisco’s three-man front on the right side – looked like his old self.

He was active, strong, full of energy and free of the brace he wore on his left arm through the postseason, when his effectiveness was diminished and the team’s pass rush faltered...

Glenn

Hall of Famer
I held my breath when Boldin's knees got bent oh, so slightly. He's a heck of a lot better than I expected.

Edit: #12!

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Welcome to the 49ers, Mr. Boldin. We are very glad to have you with us! Big shoutout to the defense, too, for helping to get the job done!

Kaepernick is overrated imo.. I think teams have figured him out. I still think he's a good QB, but you had all these idiots calling him the best ever before he even played a full season. Maybe overrated is not the right word, but over-hyped?

Anyway... HOW BOUT THOSE BENGALS!? I had a heart attack today.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Kaepernick is overrated imo.. I think teams have figured him out. I still think he's a good QB, but you had all these idiots calling him the best ever before he even played a full season. Maybe overrated is not the right word, but over-hyped?

Anyway... HOW BOUT THOSE BENGALS!? I had a heart attack today.
No comment about the Bengals. ;)

As far as Kaep is concerned, I'm not worried.

Last edited:
There are a lot of reasons (excuses?) for our poor showing this week. No offensive weapons other than Boldin in the receiving corps currently and teams aren't needing to fear our run game nearly as much as in years past (because we don't use it?? Gore only five touches in the second half!!). The distractions with Aldon Smith this week surely didn't help matters along with the fact that our D, while still above average, has taken a step back from last year (and losing Patrick Willis today and probably for Thursday night's game won't help). Being unable to get consistent pressure on a good QB will eventually come back to bite you.

We're in a dog fight now to make the playoffs while still having to deal with there being a target on our backs from being in the SB last year. Need to figure out a way to beat the Rams somehow this week and stay in the chase. If we can get to late November and still be in the wild card push we will get back Manningham and Crabtree and might be in good position to make a late run....

Last edited:
49ers will be fine. They'll go on a run sooner or later. I had them finishing at 10-6 to 11-5. But I had Seattle winning the division.