2016 NBA Draft Lottery Selection -- May 17th

Where will we pick this year?

• 2 -- The curse of Arco has been lifted!

Votes: 21 27.6%
  • 3 -- I'll take it!

Votes: 8 10.5%
  • 8 -- Meh

Votes: 30 39.5%
  • 9 -- Really?

Votes: 9 11.8%
  • 10 -- I wouldn't be surprised...

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • 11 -- Burn it all down!!!

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • 4 -- We won! But we lost! Yes!

Votes: 3 3.9%

• Total voters

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Sorry! I forgot that Philly could get 4 and we could get 1. I thought if we went to 11 we would lose the pick?

Maybe one of the mods can amend the poll.
Note that the order of the original poll responses can't be changed because the existing votes don't move with them. So #4 is at the end.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I originally thought I'd be really upset if the Kings landed the top pick and were forced to swap with the Sixers. But now I don't think so. Jumping from 8 to 4 would still improve the Kings chances of getting Dunn or Hield or Bender or Murray if he's the guy.

And for a "two man draft" the reality is that I only really want one of them. I think Simmons is an incredibly talented kid but he'd be a horrible fit with Cousins. In fact, the only way Ben Simmons works for the Kings is if they decide to blow everything up. Trade Cousins, trade Rudy, let Rondo walk etc. Because Simmons is essentially Rondo in a SF/PF body. On running team with shooters - maybe Boston or Phoenix I could see him being something special, but unless the Kings are willing to start over I don't see him as the right player for this team.

Brandon Ingram could be fantastic with Cousins and eventually the true #2 option the team needs. But he's not the only player that could help this team.

When we get upset that the Kings missed out on guys like CJ McCollum, Andre Drummond, Klay Thompson, Kawhi Leonard, etc it's worth noting that all of those guys went 8th or later in the draft. I don't really care where the Kings pick - I would just really like this to be another year (like 2010 with Cousins or last year with WCS) where I'm happy with the Kings pick and I'm not looking back at the draft pining for 2 or 3 guys that the team passed on who have become great players.

It will be nice to have the lottery over with so we can have a clearer picture of where the Kings stand. Two years ago I went into the season with low expectations only to see the team rebound from a opening night blowout and show some real signs of life under Malone before he was bizarrely fired. Last year I went into the season with relatively high expectations (7th or 8th seed team) only to watch the wheels come off completely.

I'd like to finish this offseason with high expectations AND see that actually translate to success on the court next year in a season short on drama and high on entertainment.

Draft. Trades. Free Agency.

Come on Divac, Catanella, Joerger, Stojakovic, Bratz & co. Let's go three for three this offseason.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
I originally thought I'd be really upset if the Kings landed the top pick and were forced to swap with the Sixers. But now I don't think so. Jumping from 8 to 4 would still improve the Kings chances of getting Dunn or Hield or Bender or Murray if he's the guy.

And for a "two man draft" the reality is that I only really want one of them. I think Simmons is an incredibly talented kid but he'd be a horrible fit with Cousins. In fact, the only way Ben Simmons works for the Kings is if they decide to blow everything up. Trade Cousins, trade Rudy, let Rondo walk etc. Because Simmons is essentially Rondo in a SF/PF body. On running team with shooters - maybe Boston or Phoenix I could see him being something special, but unless the Kings are willing to start over I don't see him as the right player for this team.

Brandon Ingram could be fantastic with Cousins and eventually the true #2 option the team needs. But he's not the only player that could help this team.

When we get upset that the Kings missed out on guys like CJ McCollum, Andre Drummond, Klay Thompson, Kawhi Leonard, etc it's worth noting that all of those guys went 8th or later in the draft. I don't really care where the Kings pick - I would just really like this to be another year (like 2010 with Cousins or last year with WCS) where I'm happy with the Kings pick and I'm not looking back at the draft pining for 2 or 3 guys that the team passed on who have become great players.

It will be nice to have the lottery over with so we can have a clearer picture of where the Kings stand. Two years ago I went into the season with low expectations only to see the team rebound from a opening night blowout and show some real signs of life under Malone before he was bizarrely fired. Last year I went into the season with relatively high expectations (7th or 8th seed team) only to watch the wheels come off completely.

I'd like to finish this offseason with high expectations AND see that actually translate to success on the court next year in a season short on drama and high on entertainment.

Draft. Trades. Free Agency.

Come on Divac, Catanella, Joerger, Stojakovic, Bratz & co. Let's go three for three this offseason.
I agree about the draft position not mattering much. Every year there's someone great on the board that we pass on. Every year there are players drafted above us which don't amount to much. So regardless of where we're picking they'll be some great players left for us to choose from -- we just need to be smart about evaluating them. I'll be kindof nervous if we move up actually because I think a lot of the guys ranked in the top 5 are overrated as NBA prospects and I'm almost certain that at least one of the freshman big men (Chriss, Labissiere, D. Davis, Ellenson, Diallo, Stone) will end up being a total stud. I think Luwawu is the most intriguing of the SG prospects because of his size, athleticism, and defensive effort and Jaylen Brown has a combination of strength and speed which is incredibly rare even at the NBA level. Most of them will still be there at 8 or 9.

If we get 8th my initial research would say these guys will be the crop to choose from/ fit needs: Dunn(unlikely), Hield(unlikely), Ellenson, Valentine, Brown, Labissiere, Luwawu, Baldwin, Korkmaz. Our biggest need is PG or wing followed by stretch big/ PF.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
(Note for future reference: If you create a poll like this, make the votes public. That way, we'll know who gets credit for getting the pick right.)

For the record, I chose #3.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
So if we get 11, we trade the pick right? I'm half expecting the 1% chance to happen just as one final FU from the NBA gods, as a reminder not to get too happy in Sacramento.

But if something good happens, maybe fortunes are finally turning around for real this time!

Last edited:

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
So if we get 11, we trade the pick right? I'm half expecting the 1% chance to happen just as one final FU from the NBA gods, as a remember not to get to happy in Sacramento.

But if something good happens, maybe fortunes are finally turning around for real this time!
Just remember, if we lose our pick, the Lakers lose their pick as well.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Why is this? I can't keep track...
In order for the Kings to lose their pick three teams have to jump from behind them into the top three. That would push the Lakers to the fifth pick (behind Philadelphia) and Philadelphia has the rights to the Lakers pick this year if it falls outside the top 3.

So Philly would end up with the 4th & 5th picks and the Kings and Lakers would lose theirs to the Bulls and Sixers respectively.

And if the Bulls happen to be one of the teams that jump into the top 3 they'd have the 1st, 2nd or 3rd pick and the 11th pick.

In order for the Kings to lose their pick three teams have to jump from behind them into the top three. That would push the Lakers to the fifth pick (behind Philadelphia) and Philadelphia has the rights to the Lakers pick this year if it falls outside the top 3.

So Philly would end up with the 4th & 5th picks and the Kings and Lakers would lose theirs to the Bulls and Sixers respectively.

And if the Bulls happen to be one of the teams that jump into the top 3 they'd have the 1st, 2nd or 3rd pick and the 11th pick.
Wow! Thanks. Makes the bran hurt. If we lose it, the bright side s our draft staff gets a week off.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
And just to pin it all down, the Kings have:

a 6.8% chance of getting a pick between 2-4*.
a 72.4% chance of getting the 8th pick
a 19.7% chance of getting the 9th pick
a 1.1% chance of getting the 10th pick
a 0.01% chance of dropping to 11 and losing their pick

That's a 92% chance of picking 8th or 9th.

*I'm not going to do the math of the odds of slots 2, 3, 4 because it depends on where the Sixers end up too.

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
And just to pin it all down, the Kings have:

a 6.8% chance of getting a pick between 2-4*.
a 72.4% chance of getting the 8th pick
a 19.7% chance of getting the 9th pick
a 1.1% chance of getting the 10th pick
a 0.01% chance of dropping to 11 and losing their pick

That's a 92% chance of picking 8th or 9th.

*I'm not going to do the math of the odds of slots 2, 3, 4 because it depends on where the Sixers end up too.
I've done it elsewhere, but it may as well go back in this thread:
#2 - 1.1%
#3 - 2.3%
#4 - 3.4%
The rest remain as above.

For the record I'll point out that our 1.1% chance of getting #2 (1.1175) is a somewhat better 1.1% than our 1.1% of getting #10 (1.0795).

Do the Sixers have the option to decline the pick swap and use it next year if the Kings pick ahead of them? Say they would be happy with Ingram or Simmons (or anyone else), it might be in their best interest to save the swap for a future year if allowed. This disregards the possibility of another team offering them a King's ransom to trade up which could also be a possibility.