‘It’s eating me alive:’ DeMarcus Cousins again leading Kings’ longshot playoff push

here's a useful and objective outsider's look at the difficulty demarcus cousins has had in reaching the playoffs:

Not only do the Kings face daunting odds to reach the postseason this year, it’s difficult to project them into the playoffs for the foreseeable future. Years of roster mismanagement have taken a toll.

Since drafting Cousins, Sacramento has held top-10 picks every year. Those have netted on draft night: Jimmer Fredette, John Salmons, Thomas Robinson, Ben McLemore, Nik Stauskas, Willie Cauley-Stein, Georgios Papagiannis, Skal Labissiere and Bogdan Bogdanovic – who’ve combined for a measly 2.2 win shares this season. And most of those win shares come from Stauskas and Robinson, who no longer play for the Kings.

In fact, Stauskas was sent out in a disastrous trade that gives the 76ers swap rights on Sacramento’s 2017 first-rounder* and Sacramento’s unprotected 2019 first-rounder.

*The Kings’ first-round pick must fall in the top to be swap-eligible. Otherwise, it goes to the Bulls, the result of another botched trade.

Sacramento has also recently struck out on major free agents and then settled for Arron Afflalo, Kosta Koufos, Anthony Tolliver, Garrett Temple, Matt Barnes and Ty Lawson. That adds up to one mediocre supporting cast.

Meanwhile, Cousins is better than ever. He has taken a larger offensive burden, including as a distributor and suddenly dangerous 3-point shooter, while cutting down his turnover rate. Defenders are often overmatched, and they foul him more than anyone in the league. And while Cousins’ defense comes and goes, it can be quite impressive while he’s locked in.

The result is a team that plays at a 41-win pace with Cousins on the floor and a 17-win pace when he sits, continuing a disparity seen over the last few years.
http://nba.nbcsports.com/2017/01/24/its-eating-me-alive-demarcus-cousins-again-leading-kings-longshot-playoff-push/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
the truth hurts but it's the reality we live in at the moment. Botched draft pick after botched draft pick have and will hold this franchise back moving forward. The best way to kick start this in a positive manner is retaining the draft pick in this draft class, since it's so deep and filled with lots of impressive prospects.

Larry89

Disgruntled Kings Fan
Sounds like the interview Paul Silas had with Garnett, but Garnett made it to the playoffs multiple times before that specific interview...

Perhaps we didnt botch the WCS and current rookies picks. Calling Koufos and Temple mediocre signings is also a stretch. Lawson signing is not mediocre, then again, we would need to resign him. But we do need these young guys to step up and deliver I'll admit that.
well, i guess it depends on how you want to define "mediocre." if it's somewhere between "below average" and "league average," then i'd say the majority of the kings' roster fits that definition. i think kosta koufos is an above average back-up center, and ty lawson probably qualifies as an above average back-up PG at this stage of his career, though it would be fair enough to point out that he's played quite well of late. as for garrett temple, he's a solid utility defender, and guys like temple will always be fan favorites because they always give maximum effort, but in no reality is he a starter on a playoff team, not unless he's surrounded by 3 or 4 all-star level talents. personally, i don't think the author was stretching much, if at all, by referring to those signings as "mediocre." they're beneficial players to have on a roster, but they're not going to move the needle in any meaningful way.

K

KingsFan80

Perhaps we didnt botch the WCS and current rookies picks. Calling Koufos and Temple mediocre signings is also a stretch. Lawson signing is not mediocre, then again, we would need to resign him. But we do need these young guys to step up and deliver I'll admit that.
So at what point can we say we did botch the WCS and current picks? After a couple more losing seasons and bad moves? And we are all still waiting on the magical trade that is supposed to change the team. Almost two hours and counting...

gunks

Hall of Famer
This franchise's drafting has been beyond atrocious.

Every bad decision has been facilitated by meddling owners. First the Magoofs. Now the lil goblin.

Poor Cuz.

There are bad picks and then there are picks that don't turn out.

I'd consider Fredette, Robinson, Stuaskas and most likely Papa as just flat out bad draft picks. Fredette because it was obvious he wasn't going to be an NBA player. Stauskas because he was redundant with McLemore. Robinson because he was so undersized compared to NBA bigs. I couldn't tell from watching him in college that he was going to be so undersized in the NBA but scouts should have known that and let him drop. Papa remains to be seen but I think he has low odds and basically no one was happy with taking him at 13.

Guys like McLemore, and possibly WCS go under the picks that just didn't turn out category. McLemore was widely considered the best available prospect when we nabbed him and WCS was considered the best fit for our team. Either way I can't blame either GM for taking these guys.

Skal, Malachi and Bogdan will remain to be seen. I think Malachi is much more than a 3 and D guy. The scouting reports said he lacked athleticism and finishing at the rim but all I've seen so far is a guy who just knows how to make moves to get to the rim and to the free throw line. Skal has shown some very nice flashes but is still raw. Bogdan has shown some good stuff in Europe but he doesn't dominate. I don't know if that's due to the system or his limitations but either way it'll be exciting to see what he brings to the table next year. You just never know how the Euro's are going to adjust.

So at what point can we say we did botch the WCS and current picks? After a couple more losing seasons and bad moves? And we are all still waiting on the magical trade that is supposed to change the team. Almost two hours and counting...
and here i suppose it depends on how you want to define "botch." if it means that a player drafted at a lower position is having a larger impact earlier in their career, well then you chalk that up to the draft being a crap shoot and you move on, especially if there isn't an obvious consensus draft pick for a particular team to have taken. myles turner over willie cauley-stein is certainly obvious today, but it wasn't obvious on draft day, regardless of who may have called for it at the time. however, if "botch" is defined as fetishizing a certain skill set until it blinds your ability to objectively evaluate talent, then yeah, the kings have botched quite a few of their draft picks in the last decade. in fact, drafting jimmer fredette, ben mclemore, and nik stauskas from 2011 to 2014 is about as close as you can get to meeting einstein's definition of insanity.

but if "botch" instead means that a team gives up on young players simply because they fail to make an impact immediately, then that's a much larger problem. any "bad moves" that this franchise might make in the future have nothing to do with the development of the young players who are already on the roster, unless those moves constitute trading those young players far too soon or displacing any hope that they have of earning playing time. the developmental league has its uses, but it's hardly a talent farm like the minor leagues are to the MLB. eventually, cauley-stein, richardson, labissiere, and papagiannis are going to have to log consistent and meaningful nba minutes, and until they've logged a substantial amount of consistent and meaningful nba minutes, it's too early to say that the kings "botched" their most recent draft picks.

now, i would have drafted different players than the kings in most of those circumstances. there are plenty of deficiencies amongst the set of young players the kings currently possess on their roster. there is some reason to believe that any or all of them could bust. but given that they are unproven and unheralded first round picks, they have little trade value anyway. you're not likely to receive the kind of talent upgrades necessary to move the needle in the win/loss column, so it's much more prudent to attempt to improve in-house by investing in the development of those players. get them on the court sooner rather than later, otherwise they'll amount to nothing more than wasted assets by the time their rookie contracts come to an end.

of course, there is a line that's worth drawing in the sand, particularly when a young player receives a significant amount of minutes and shows little to no progress across the entire length of their rookie contract. ben mclemore would meet this definition very soundly. what a disappointment. i wouldn't say his nba career is over, but he's about ready to go the way of the jimmer. there was a time when most kings fans imagined he could at least pan out as a 3-and-D role player, but he has never taken advantage of the many opportunities he's been given, and past a certain point, that's on him. i'd rather the kings didn't hold onto fledgling "talents" like mclemore until their value drops to less-than-zero, but nor would i suggest that the kings plot an exit strategy for every young player that suits up for them and fails to impress right off the bat. i seriously doubt that there's an impact player in the kings' handful of recent first rounders, but that doesn't mean any or all of them can't eventually develop into contributors that allow the kings to maximize the very few assets they have elsewhere.

dude12

Hall of Famer
well, i guess it depends on how you want to define "mediocre." if it's somewhere between "below average" and "league average," then i'd say the majority of the kings' roster fits that definition. i think kosta koufos is an above average back-up center, and ty lawson probably qualifies as an above average back-up PG at this stage of his career, though it would be fair enough to point out that he's played quite well of late. as for garrett temple, he's a solid utility defender, and guys like temple will always be fan favorites because they always give maximum effort, but in no reality is he a starter on a playoff team, not unless he's surrounded by 3 or 4 all-star level talents. personally, i don't think the author was stretching much, if at all, by referring to those signings as "mediocre." they're beneficial players to have on a roster, but they're not going to move the needle in any meaningful way.
I guess if you were expecting Koufos and Temple and Lawson to turn us into 50 win teams, then those would be mediocre signings. Last time I checked, the Kings need solid rotational players as do all teams. These are not mediocre signings, they are solid signings at reasonable contracts. That would be my definition. If we gave Dion Waiters a 4 year, 72 mill contract.....that would be my definition of a mediocre contract.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Let me guess, your ready to call the picks this year a waste......because your contempt for Divac hasn't been made clear enough the first 50 times,you have stated that.

I guess if you were expecting Koufos and Temple and Lawson to turn us into 50 win teams, then those would be mediocre signings. Last time I checked, the Kings need solid rotational players as do all teams. These are not mediocre signings, they are solid signings at reasonable contracts. That would be my definition. If we gave Dion Waiters a 4 year, 72 mill contract.....that would be my definition of a mediocre contract.
i suppose it's a matter of semantics, then. they're not mediocre signings, because they're quality contributors on reasonable contracts. but they could be called mediocre talents, in that, even in aggregate, they're not likely to make the kind of impact necessary to help transform the kings into a winning team.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
If we base our opinion on recent events, I'm not sure WCS won't turn out to be a good acquisition. I've been very impressed with what I've seen from him recently, and I've been very critical.

I have to agree with dude12. I think you're allowing your oft-stated dislike of Vlade Divac drive comments like this.

K

KingsFan80

Let me guess, your ready to call the picks this year a waste......because your contempt for Divac hasn't been made clear enough the first 50 times,you have stated that.
Yeah, glad we signed Affalo over Dion Waiters too huh.

K

KingsFan80

If we base our opinion on recent events, I'm not sure WCS won't turn out to be a good acquisition. I've been very impressed with what I've seen from him recently, and I've been very critical.

I have to agree with dude12. I think you're allowing your oft-stated dislike of Vlade Divac drive comments like this.
Fair enough...until we start winning games my opinion won't change

gunks

Hall of Famer
Meanwhile, LeBron is over there in Cleveland complaining about his supporting cast. Poor guy only has Kyrie, Love, and a bunch of guys who can play defense and drain a 3.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Where did they find 41 win pace with Demarcus on the floor? First time I've ever seen that stat. Pretty cool.
I was trying to figure that out myself, but its likely just taking his +/- when he's on the floor and comparing it to other teams. At least that's how I've calculated it in years past. So when Cousins is on court we have a +/- like a 41 win team (-0.4). When he's off court we have a +/- like a 17 win team (-8.7).

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I still have for Willie. Give him some time. Out of the three rookies, I feel Skal will be the best one.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
the truth hurts but it's the reality we live in at the moment. Botched draft pick after botched draft pick have and will hold this franchise back moving forward. The best way to kick start this in a positive manner is retaining the draft pick in this draft class, since it's so deep and filled with lots of impressive prospects.
I remain unconvinced. This wouldn't even be the second time during this playoff drought that we has a lottery pick in an allegedly "deep draft," and came up with bupkiss.

D

DC222

It's like when you're trying to get your 15-year old car started and your neighbor starts to complain about the lack of extra cup holders in his Mercedes.
To be fair lebron has his sights on a championship. Kings just want to make 8th seed.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
what was the last "deep draft" you are referring to? maybe 2009?
I didn't bother with any drafts where we actually got good players with our first round picks.

The 2007 draft produced 22 guys who are still in the league ten years later, into their second (and third?) contracts, including 14 career double-digit scorers, four All-Stars, two DPOYs and one MVP. In the aggregate, the average NBA career is a little over three years long, so any draft in which 45 percent of the guys who actually made a roster are still in the league a decade later (22 out of 49) is as close to "deep" as makes no odds. The 2008 draft produced 28 guys who are still in the league (out of 51 who actually made a roster) nine years later, including 15 double-digit scorers, five All-Stars and one MVP (so far). The 2011 draft produced 31 guys who are still in the league (out of 54 who made a roster), including 19 double-digit scorers, five All-Stars (so far) and one DPOY.

Counting the pick we got from Memphis in 2008, we had four first round picks in those three drafts. The four guys we got were Spencer Hawes, Jason Thompson, Donte Greene and Jimmer Fredette. The season I first started following the Kings was the year we drafted Pervis Ellison. The year after that, we had four picks in the first round, and came away with Lionel Simmons, Travis Mays, Duane Causwell and Anthony Bonner. I won't be fooled again; I'll wait on the bird in hand instead. Miss me with this draft stuff, homie; I ain't never gonna be with it.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I didn't bother with any drafts where we actually got good players with our first round picks.

The 2007 draft produced 22 guys who are still in the league ten years later, into their second (and third?) contracts, including 14 career double-digit scorers, four All-Stars, two DPOYs and one MVP. In the aggregate, the average NBA career is a little over three years long, so any draft in which 45 percent of the guys who actually made a roster are still in the league a decade later (22 out of 49) is as close to "deep" as makes no odds. The 2008 draft produced 28 guys who are still in the league (out of 51 who actually made a roster) nine years later, including 15 double-digit scorers, five All-Stars and one MVP (so far). The 2011 draft produced 31 guys who are still in the league (out of 54 who made a roster), including 19 double-digit scorers, five All-Stars (so far) and one DPOY.

Counting the pick we got from Memphis in 2008, we had four first round picks in those three drafts. The four guys we got were Spencer Hawes, Jason Thompson, Donte Greene and Jimmer Fredette. The season I first started following the Kings was the year we drafted Pervis Ellison. The year after that, we had four picks in the first round, and came away with Lionel Simmons, Travis Mays, Duane Causwell and Anthony Bonner. I won't be fooled again; I'll wait on the bird in hand instead. Miss me with this draft stuff, homie; I ain't never gonna be with it.
If that's the way you really feel, don't expect the Kings to be playoff contenders anytime soon with Cousins at the helm then. If you are cool with just watching Boogie put up video game numbers while winning 30-35 games for the next couple of seasons, by all means.