A point guard log jam

I have a hard time seeing Davion let go after his performance late in the season and playoffs. Next time I have Monte over for limoncellos and tiramisu I'm going to remind him that one shouldn't trade or let walk the number two ball pressure guard in the league.
The only issue is how do they squeeze more minutes out of him? Davion dipped this season because of Monk. That's probably not going to change unless injuries happen. I think let go is different than attempting to balance your roster and maximize value if that's the choice. I doubt Monte will be eager to move Davion now, but at some point, backup PG value is going to creep into the picture.

We have a guy who is in an ideal role as the third guard off the bench - who is an offensive spark plug due to his shooting and ability to attack the rim, and we think we need to trade him? Why? Because he's also an excellent playmaker?

I just don't see the logic here.

How would trading Monk improve the team?
The only reason is if his value would help bring back a major frontline piece. He's a 25 y.o. uber-athletic, uber-spunky combo guard w/the skills and chutzpah to carry a team for long stretches offensively. And he just showed out in the playoffs. He's obv worth a lot to the Kings; he might also be worth a fair bit to at least a few others. Gotta give something to get something.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
I have a hard time seeing Davion let go after his performance late in the season and playoffs. Next time I have Monte over for limoncello and tiramisu I'm going to remind him that one shouldn't trade or let walk the number two ball pressure guard in the league.
Dude was deemed bad enough on offense not to play in the two most important games of the season. Im not giving him away but if they get an intriguing offer, good riddance.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
The only reason is if his value would help bring back a major frontline piece. He's a 25 y.o. uber-athletic, uber-spunky combo guard w/the skills and chutzpah to carry a team for long stretches offensively. And he just showed out in the playoffs. He's obv worth a lot to the Kings; he might also be worth a fair bit to at least a few others. Gotta give something to get something.
He's also on an ending contract where the team trading for him won't have his Bird rights. Add in the fact that he's undersized to be a starting SG and isn't a true lead guard and I think you have a player worth more to the Kings than what any other team would be willing to offer.

Only way Monk gets traded is if there is an all star coming back our way and even then we may hesitate. The guy is Fox’s best friend, is a dynamite player, fan favorite, and genuinely loves it in Sacramento. He chose to come here. You don’t just get rid of players like that. I think he’s a part of the core and is here to stay. If we don’t take that next leap, then maybe we look to upgrade but right now? Can’t see it happening.

Only way Monk gets traded is if there is an all star coming back our way and even then we may hesitate. The guy is Fox’s best friend, is a dynamite player, fan favorite, and genuinely loves it in Sacramento. He chose to come here. You don’t just get rid of players like that. I think he’s a part of the core and is here to stay. If we don’t take that next leap, then maybe we look to upgrade but right now? Can’t see it happening.
Big agree.

Monk is the type of player you trade FOR - not trade away.

And I'd argue we don't need another star. There's only one basketball. I am however very interested to see exactly how Monte plans to level up this roster. Now that it appears Vezenkov is coming over, I hope he goes about filling specific needs and complimenting our core.

Big agree.

And I'd argue we don't need another star. There's only one basketball. I am however very interested to see exactly how Monte plans to level up this roster. Now that it appears Vezenkov is coming over, I hope he goes about filling specific needs and complimenting our core.
Well, Monk's contract puts even more pressure on Monte to improve the roster now. Keeping Monk and re-signing Domas results is a pretty heavy cap situation from then on.

Big agree.

no one on our team is untradeable. The question would be how do you make the team better. You don’t get a top level talent in trade trading trash. Monk is the kind of player teams trade for. Could he excel in a starting lead guard role? I think he could. Could he do that here? No …..

2nd year player. Fox wasn’t a showstopper year 2. I think Davion has room to grow though given what was on the board was likely Monte’s worst pick of his tenure.
Once again. Fox is only 8.5 months older than Davion. Davion was basically a 5th year senior when drafted. Can he improve? Yes. But it's not like he's a 21 year old 3rd year player. He will be 25 to start next season.

People are looking at Davion with the wrong mindset. He is a situational type of player. He may get 20-25 minutes one game (maybe more) and then 10 minutes the next game. It depends on if there is anyone for him to guard. That’s the type of player he should be. Marcus Smart lite. We have probably been asking a bit too much out of him due to our own needs as a team. We haven’t put him in the best situation and have asked him to be something that he isn’t. He should be our mad dog. Our “go get him” type of player on defense. Instead he’s had to do both offense and defense and it’s affected him. He’s still a great ace in the hole to have. Not untradeable but certainly not a give away either.

People are looking at Davion with the wrong mindset. He is a situational type of player. He may get 20-25 minutes one game (maybe more) and then 10 minutes the next game. It depends on if there is anyone for him to guard. That’s the type of player he should be. Marcus Smart lite. We have probably been asking a bit too much out of him due to our own needs as a team. We haven’t put him in the best situation and have asked him to be something that he isn’t. He should be our mad dog. Our “go get him” type of player on defense. Instead he’s had to do both offense and defense and it’s affected him. He’s still a great ace in the hole to have. Not untradeable but certainly not a give away either.
Not a giveaway for sure. The question is probably best placed around the idea of value though. How much is he worth at his peak monetarily if he's a backup PG for this franchise and that's it? Then, if he comes in next season with basically the same role, minutes, and production, year 3's like that with players already nearing their "prime" years put that last dent in most players trade values. Teams will wait it out, and look to sign him outright and all it will take is one team with a need for a Marcus Smart type to pry him away.

Dude was deemed bad enough on offense not to play in the two most important games of the season. Im not giving him away but if they get an intriguing offer, good riddance.
It’s called “player development”. Steve Nash took 4+ years to make a splash and he could really shoot the rock. And the team that drafted him gave up too soon before re-acquiring him years later. It wasn’t until his 3rd season in DAL where he really started to take off.

We all know that Davion Mitchell is no Steve Nash. But if it could take the future 2x MVP that long to develop and hit his stride, why should you or anybody be to eager to consider Mitchell a finished product?

Caleb Martin just played a pivotal role helping Miami reach the NBA Finals, and he’s a developing talent already in his 4th season. Davion only completed his 2nd season.

Point is, have some patience and let the dude develop. The KINGS seem to finally have a front office capable of identifying talent and a coaching staff capable of developing that talent. And Davion has shown to be a player that works hard and is driven to improve.

Look at the jump Swipa made this past season. If Davion can make even half a stride toward that jump in the next year or a two, he might just become a valuable 2-way player.

Last edited:
I wouldn’t bet against this dude figuring it all out.
It’s not going to be from a lack of trying if he doesn’t. Even as he is now he has a place in the NBA as an elite defender. All he has to do is be at least average/passable in the rest of his game to get consistent minutes. Anything more than that and you have yourself a legitimate weapon on the defensive end that you can keep on the floor in the most important scenarios.

Point guards and big men traditionally take longer to figure it out at the NBA level. I see no roadblocks to Davion's continued development. He's borderline untradable at this point not because he's a star (obviously not), but because it's not wise to cash out on players as they are making big strides.

Petrie had exquisite timing in trading away players at the peak/end of their major contributing years.

I expect a massive jump from Davion next year. Bobby Jackson type off the bench is completely within reach, and soon.

Point guards and big men traditionally take longer to figure it out at the NBA level. I see no roadblocks to Davion's continued development. He's borderline untradable at this point not because he's a star (obviously not), but because it's not wise to cash out on players as they are making big strides.

Petrie had exquisite timing in trading away players at the peak/end of their major contributing years.

I expect a massive jump from Davion next year. Bobby Jackson type off the bench is completely within reach, and soon.
I expect the same from your favorite, Kessler Edwards. I am a little surprised the fans (and writers) do not view him the way you do.

I expect the same from your favorite, Kessler Edwards. I am a little surprised the fans (and writers) do not view him the way you do.
We, it sounds like. Yeah not sure why that is other than something like optimism fatigue??

The minute Edwards stepped on the court in a Kings uni it was blatantly clear to me he had massive defensive gifts. I think with a lot of these young players that project out to be more like high quality role players, it's a matter of them developing a complete game. You get to the NBA on your raw talent and one or two areas you excel in, then you get there and have to 1) learn the NBA and 2) figure out your own game at that level. Davion and Edwards I think are two prime examples of that player development arc. I'm very high on both.

I have a hard time seeing Davion let go after his performance late in the season and playoffs. Next time I have Monte over for limoncello and tiramisu I'm going to remind him that one shouldn't trade or let walk the number two ball pressure guard in the league.
There's a guard that puts more pressure on the ball than Davion Mitchell? As in currently playing??

We, it sounds like. Yeah not sure why that is other than something like optimism fatigue??

The minute Edwards stepped on the court in a Kings uni it was blatantly clear to me he had massive defensive gifts. I think with a lot of these young players that project out to be more like high quality role players, it's a matter of them developing a complete game. You get to the NBA on your raw talent and one or two areas you excel in, then you get there and have to 1) learn the NBA and 2) figure out your own game at that level. Davion and Edwards I think are two prime examples of that player development arc. I'm very high on both.
I think that Kessler is a bigger part of the Kings future plans than most fans realize. I don't think the National Media even realize he is on the team.

I think that Kessler is a bigger part of the Kings future plans than most fans realize. I don't think the National Media even realize he is on the team.
We'll see... We've had a few of these "maybe maybe maybe" type wings come through and next thing you know they're out of the league completely. Don't get me wrong I'm hoping he is that diamond in the rough.