[Game] Golden State Warriors (6) @ Sacramento Kings (3) (WCDS Game 7, 3-3) 4/30/2023 12:30pm Pacific 3:30pm Eastern (ABC)

On October 3, 2022, did you, in your wildest dreams, picture the Kings playing in a game 7?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
One other thing regarding the 3 point shooting is we had been trending downward percentage wise near the end of the season and then it carried on through the playoffs.
Which is one of the reasons I would get frustrated seeing them take so many threes. They just weren't shooting them well enough to justify taking so many.

47 threes is WAY too many when you're shooting in the low 30's and mid-to-high 20's.

I'm not looking at the boxscores now, but IIRC both games in which they launched close to 50 three's they hit like 10-12 of them. Something in that range. Shooting well under 30%.

They got lucky the 1st game where they started out 0-15 and finished at over 37%. But they weren't so fortunate to be able to recover in the other games.

Coach nick did a break down on YouTube of the game.

He didn't mention it but it was so obvious that looney was standing in the key constantly attached to no one and don't think there was one violation called all series.
Warriors got away with a whole bunch of stuff. Fouling on D, Poole blatantly carrying the ball, Steph pushing off with off arm damn near every time, Looney pushing off on many rebounds although that can be just big man down low stuff, Draymond being a beyotch, Draymond with the illegal screens, etc

Coach nick did a break down on YouTube of the game.

He didn't mention it but it was so obvious that looney was standing in the key constantly attached to no one and don't think there was one violation called all series.
Yeah, I'm quite tired of all the Kevon Looney praise.

Not only is what you just stated true, the dude was cracking Domas with elbows and going over backs and reaching all series.

I haven't gone back to count them all up, but I swear about half the offensive rebounds he got in that fateful Q3 were bouncing right to him.

It was like the ball had a GPS tracker in it and wherever Looney was positioned on the court, the ball bounced toward him. Often going long over whomever was in front of him.

Over 38 seasons of watching KINGS basketball, I've seen strange $#1t like that happen quite a few times. I've seen Tony Delk and Blair Rasmussen dominate games not missing shots. And I've seen the ball seemingly bounce to the other team incessantly. Just like on Sunday afternoon.

I'm not saying the KINGS have no fault and couldn't have fought harder for many of them. But there were quite a few that were just bouncing fortuitously toward Looney. If Looney was on the right side of the floor, the miss went right. If he was on the left, it missed left. If he had rebounding position, it bounced short and didn't rebound long over his head. When he didn't have rebounding position, the ball caromed long over the head of whomever did have position. If there were 4-5 KINGS surrounding the miss, it fell between them to the lone Warriors player.

It was freaking weird.

Yeah, I'm quite tired of all the Kevon Looney praise.

Not only is what you just stated true, the dude was cracking Domas with elbows and going over backs and reaching all series.

I haven't gone back to count them all up, but I swear about half the offensive rebounds he got in that fateful Q3 were bouncing right to him.

It was like the ball had a GPS tracker in it and wherever Looney was positioned on the court, the ball bounced toward him. Often going long over whomever was in front of him.

Over 38 seasons of watching KINGS basketball, I've seen strange $#1t like that happen quite a few times. I've seen Tony Delk and Blair Rasmussen dominate games not missing shots. And I've seen the ball seemingly bounce to the other team incessantly. Just like on Sunday afternoon.

I'm not saying the KINGS have no fault and couldn't have fought harder for many of them. But there were quite a few that were just bouncing fortuitously toward Looney. If Looney was on the right side of the floor, the miss went right. If he was on the left, it missed left. If he had rebounding position, it bounced short and didn't rebound long over his head. When he didn't have rebounding position, the ball caromed long over the head of whomever did have position. If there were 4-5 KINGS surrounding the miss, it fell between them to the lone Warriors player.

It was freaking weird.
That's literally what good team box outs will prevent. The continued random bounce going to the other team. The mistake that I see all the time in the NBA and from the Kings, are guys moving towards the hoop when a shot is released. You have to find the nearest body and make contact for a box out...and many times that requires moving away from the hoop when a shot is in the air. Don't follow the ball, find a body.

This is basketball 101 stuff that many of us had drilled into our heads in 7th grade through high school. Some players just never commit to it, including lots of top talent in the NBA

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member

Here's the vid in case anyone is interested.
As much as this video reinforces my impression that Golden State got away with a ton of push-offs and moving screens to free up Steph for shots (what else is new) it also highlights how much of a blunder it was not to get Davion in the game. He would have taken away half of these shots by himself.

Listening to 95.7 this morning, they spent some time questioning quite a few decisions that Coach Brown made, including not playing Murray enough. Murray started out bad but he worked his way out of his funk and brown forgot about him on the bench while Huerter was continuing to kill us from the 3 point line. 95.7 is right, Brown out-thought himself, especially in game 7.
I don't think anything Brown could have done would have changed game 7. We had the #1 rebounder in the league and he got embarrassed by Looney in the 3rd quarter. As soon as he started destroying us on the glass, the entire team went cold from 3. That was the nail in the coffin.

I think game 4 was the only one that Brown potentially lost for us but what can ya do? There's only so many players on the bench that a coach can go to. Davion did the best on Curry all series but the stats showed that Davion just merely slowed him down from an all time player to a top all star. His numbers were still better than what any King could do offensively, even when Davion guarded him. Main thing is that Curry shot less when Davion was on him. Instead of 50, maybe Curry only scores 30 but now 10 of those shots get distributed to other players. Maybe only 40pts are scored instead of 50. Doesn't matter in the end because they lost by 20. I can't blame Brown for the entire squad going ice cold from 3 after the half and Sabonis letting Looney own him on the boards. Hopefully our guys learn from it and get better over the offseason.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
I don't think anything Brown could have done would have changed game 7. We had the #1 rebounder in the league and he got embarrassed by Looney in the 3rd quarter. As soon as he started destroying us on the glass, the entire team went cold from 3. That was the nail in the coffin.

I think game 4 was the only one that Brown potentially lost for us but what can ya do? There's only so many players on the bench that a coach can go to. Davion did the best on Curry all series but the stats showed that Davion just merely slowed him down from an all time player to a top all star. His numbers were still better than what any King could do offensively, even when Davion guarded him. Main thing is that Curry shot less when Davion was on him. Instead of 50, maybe Curry only scores 30 but now 10 of those shots get distributed to other players. Maybe only 40pts are scored instead of 50. Doesn't matter in the end because they lost by 20. I can't blame Brown for the entire squad going ice cold from 3 after the half and Sabonis letting Looney own him on the boards. Hopefully our guys learn from it and get better over the offseason.
It felt like our guys lost their confidence in the 3rd more than anything and that's why we lost the game. And a lot of those rebounds did bounce right to GS. I'm not even sure that I buy this "modern box out" concept that Coach Nick sells in that video. You can track the ball the whole way but if a guy is on your back pushing you and the ball bounces over your head, there's no chance you're getting that rebound. Better technique would have been to seal Looney off further away from the basket and send more players to crash the glass after every shot. But even when Sabonis did get to the ball first he wasn't able to secure it and Looney just took it from him. GS had him beat to hell by the time we got to Game 7.

I still think using Davion to take away those open looks that Curry got off of Draymond and Looney screens would have kept the score close enough that our guys would have had more fight left in them for the 4th. Curry would have passed if the open shot wasn't there and then at least it's Wiggins, Poole and Klay trying to beat us with jumpers instead of Steph putting up 50 and everyone on the Kings slumping their shoulders. It was a mistake not to use our best defensive player on their best offensive weapon.

KC made a good point on the radio today. TD was playing Curry straight up and Curry was just taking him off the dribble. If Davion was in the game, Curry would have went to the pick and roll to get switched off to Keegan or Huerter. So it may have had an impact, but not as big as we think.

Status
Not open for further replies.