[Game] Golden State Warriors (6) @ Sacramento Kings (3) (WCDS Game 7, 3-3) 4/30/2023 12:30pm Pacific 3:30pm Eastern (ABC)

On October 3, 2022, did you, in your wildest dreams, picture the Kings playing in a game 7?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe Monte should have hired you instead of Coach Brown. You seem to have all the answers.
I think I would give this team the best shot at winning the game if I am allowed to make substitution and what lineups I should play at any giving time lol. This is why I admire Jordi Fernandez during that one stretch when Brown was out with illness. He knows what lineups to use to give the team the best chance of winning. Brown to me...is an x and o coach, not necessarily good at matching lineup type of coach. That's why in game 6, going to small lineup wasn't his idea...it was the assistants...he admit it.

Maybe Monte should have hired you instead of Coach Brown. You seem to have all the answers.
Where is that person wrong though? It was very evident what the problems were in the third. Mike Brown even acknowledged the problems in back to back time outs. Yet he didn’t make any major adjustments to try and counter. He deserves as much blame for the loss as any player.

Curry's 50 hurt and the media is going to make it seem like he did something miraculous, but he was actually less efficient than his own average in game 7. Not to take anything away from it because he's still extremely efficient but it wasn't even close to Jimmy Butler's game 4 against the Bucks.

Sabonis just flat out let Kevon Looney knock us out of the playoffs. Looney Jerome James'd us. The frustration in the 3rd quarter was only bested by the Lakers shooting 27 FTs against us in the 4th quarter of the WCF. The Warriors just flat out out muscled and out hustled us for the win. You take that with going ice cold in the 2nd half and the Kings had no chance. I mean the Warriors did everything in their power to keep us in this game too. I've never seen so many good FT shooters miss on that squad. Their 2nd and 3rd leading scorers were ice cold as well. That game was for the taking whether Curry put up 50 or not but the Kings just got out worked.

Barnes and Huerter turning into Ramon Sessions didn't help either. Keegan should not have been able to outplay both of these guys over the course of the series, but he did.
Eeehhh….I can’t stand curry but it was a pretty epic game. With that said, I’m skipping all my usually nba podcasts for a week because I don’t have the stomach to hear them gushing over him.

Did Sabonis not shake Draymonds hand or did he just walk off right after the game? I don’t blame him for skipping Green but I’m a little surprised he wouldn’t reach out to some of the other players/coaches

Curry's 50 hurt and the media is going to make it seem like he did something miraculous, but he was actually less efficient than his own average in game 7. Not to take anything away from it because he's still extremely efficient but it wasn't even close to Jimmy Butler's game 4 against the Bucks.

Sabonis just flat out let Kevon Looney knock us out of the playoffs. Looney Jerome James'd us. The frustration in the 3rd quarter was only bested by the Lakers shooting 27 FTs against us in the 4th quarter of the WCF. The Warriors just flat out out muscled and out hustled us for the win. You take that with going ice cold in the 2nd half and the Kings had no chance. I mean the Warriors did everything in their power to keep us in this game too. I've never seen so many good FT shooters miss on that squad. Their 2nd and 3rd leading scorers were ice cold as well. That game was for the taking whether Curry put up 50 or not but the Kings just got out worked.

Barnes and Huerter turning into Ramon Sessions didn't help either. Keegan should not have been able to outplay both of these guys over the course of the series, but he did.
Right, if you look at their team shooting stats for game 7 and forget about Curry's point total, this game was there for the taking. They didn't play that great, the Kings just didn't produce. No doubt that experience was a factor in this

Did Sabonis not shake Draymonds hand or did he just walk off right after the game? I don’t blame him for skipping Green but I’m a little surprised he wouldn’t reach out to some of the other players/coaches
He probably avoided the whole situation, knowing that Green would try to approach him with some non sense. I actually prefer this approach, instead of embracing him in a long hug like he's a family friend

I respect Brown's loyalty to the starting players that got them to the playoffs, but I think he failed to make adjustments on the fly with the starting unit..... Huerter was just plain hurting us and HB wasn't doing much either, but he stuck with them..... I would had rode Davion on Curry from the get go every game starting game 4 because your were getting zero from Huerter all series......

This is opposed to Kerr, who did what it took to win the series.... he took players in and out of the starting line up to get the team going...... coach Brown has to learn from his mistakes and be more flexible in the playoffs..... the playoffs are a different animal because you are playing the same team for up to 7 games..... you trot out the same look every game, the other coach will figure you out and you go home.....

I think the HB decision becomes utterly crucial now though. He was terrible and that's the only real open slot in the starting lineup. He's old. I think Monte takes a real hard look at going and getting a Cam Johnson or Grant Williams in FA potentially, or spiking a trade for a defensive lynchpin.

Brown basically just told us in the last 2 games that HB was unplayable with the season on the line. We really think we're going to go reup that guy to a big longterm deal?
Well At the right price, I think its ok. Barnes is still a good player. He had an average series - stat line skewed due to minutes reduction somewhat - the only player who played well in Game 3 debacle. Give a 4 year deal at in the 10-13 range....he gets some income insurance the last year, the Kings keep him on a not too extravagant salary along with gaining veteran leadership/experience. He could also come off bench at some point.

Cam Johnson would be good too. Have liked him.... Not sure his defense is quite as good though.

I respect Brown's loyalty to the starting players that got them to the playoffs, but I think he failed to make adjustments on the fly with the starting unit..... Huerter was just plain hurting us and HB wasn't doing much either, but he stuck with them..... I would had rode Davion on Curry from the get go every game starting game 4 because your were getting zero from Huerter all series......

This is opposed to Kerr, who did what it took to win the series.... he took players in and out of the starting line up to get the team going...... coach Brown has to learn from his mistakes and be more flexible in the playoffs..... the playoffs are a different animal because you are playing the same team for up to 7 games..... you trot out the same look every game, the other coach will figure you out and you go home.....
if the series was 4-1 Warriors, I think it would be fair to pat Steve on the back and call out Brown but the series was tied after 6 games and the Kings won the first half of game 7. I don’t know if it would be accurate to say the guy that won 4 games made all the right moves and the guy that won 3 didn’t.

Maybe Davion could have slowed down Curry but my gut says it wouldn’t have made that much of a difference. He just had it going right from the jump. The starter thing gets blow out of proportion a bit too imo because guys who weren’t playing well had their minutes reduced for the most part. That can be a bit harder to do with shooters because it only takes one shot to fall to get a player going sometimes.

I think criticism of Brown and the players is fine, I just don’t view this as a master class for Kerr in a win and an indictment on Brown in a loss.

Well At the right price, I think its ok. Barnes is still a good player. He had an average series - stat line skewed due to minutes reduction somewhat - the only player who played well in Game 3 debacle. Give a 4 year deal at in the 10-13 range....he gets some income insurance the last year, the Kings keep him on a not too extravagant salary along with gaining veteran leadership/experience. He could also come off bench at some point.

Cam Johnson would be good too. Have liked him.... Not sure his defense is quite as good though.
you could also make an argument he was a big reason for the game one win despite the shooting. He had several steals and big plays early in that game that gave us momentum

A positive from this loss... Warriors are probably the tougher match up against the Lakers lol.
Tired of the Warriors, and don't hate this Lakers team really.....its like Dallas in the NFL - used to hate em, now neutral.
I'll be pulling for the Lakers mildly. Don't really hate the Warriors either, but would like to see them go. Lakers will not score as well as the Kings did in this new series. Anthony Davis playing well is key. Unlike Sabonis, he is not a facilitator by any stretch. He will need to be dominant.

I'm now pulling for Knicks mainly after surprising series win over Cavs.. Mostly Neutral on most other teams. Nuggets seem to always find a way to lose.

if the series was 4-1 Warriors, I think it would be fair to pat Steve on the back and call out Brown but the series was tied after 6 games and the Kings won the first half of game 7. I don’t know if it would be accurate to say the guy that won 4 games made all the right moves and the guy that won 3 didn’t.

Maybe Davion could have slowed down Curry but my gut says it wouldn’t have made that much of a difference. He just had it going right from the jump. The starter thing gets blow out of proportion a bit too imo because guys who weren’t playing well had their minutes reduced for the most part. That can be a bit harder to do with shooters because it only takes one shot to fall to get a player going sometimes.

I think criticism of Brown and the players is fine, I just don’t view this as a master class for Kerr in a win and an indictment on Brown in a loss.
Well, the series started 2-0 and ended 1-4 in the final 5 games in the Warriors favor.

The playoffs are a total different animal because you play the same team for 7 games. Coach needed to make adjustment on the fly and I don't think he did that, especially in the game 7 2nd half. You can't watch Steph go off for 50 and not think, hey maybe I need to put Davion on him to try and slow him.

The offensive rebounds in the third just sucked the life out of anything we were trying to do. I mean, we had the same players out there that gave us a rebounding edge in game 6. Not sure there's much Brown could have done other than maybe throw Len out for a few minutes to see what happens. I'm sure he was thinking there is no way this could continue, but it just never stopped in that quarter. I feel like the only explanation is that we got bit by the big moment of game 7. Not necessarily that they were playing scared, but just didn't step up to meet the moment. By the time the fourth quarter came around, I think they were defeated knowing an all time great clutch player in curry was not likely to let that lead slip away.

Well, the series started 2-0 and ended 1-4 in the final 5 games in the Warriors favor.

Coach needed to make adjustment on the fly and I don't think he did that, especially in the game 7 2nd half. You can't watch Steph go off for 50 and not think, hey maybe I need to put Davion on him to try and slow him.
That’s a skewed way of looking at it imo. We won both of our home games, they won theirs and then we split the road games leading to a game seven. It was an even series through and through. It’s fine to criticize him for not putting Davion on Curry, fair enough. Ultimately I think we were dealing with a great doing what 4 time champions do. It pains me to say that because even though I wanted the Kings to draft Steph over Tyreke I have not enjoyed his on court antics over the years. The smirky faces and taunting the crowd etc

The offensive rebounds in the third just sucked the life out of anything we were trying to do. I mean, we had the same players out there that gave us a rebounding edge in game 6. Not sure there's much Brown could have done other than maybe throw Len out for a few minutes to see what happens. I'm sure he was thinking there is no way this could continue, but it just never stopped in that quarter. I feel like the only explanation is that we got bit by the big moment of game 7. Not necessarily that they were playing scared, but just didn't step up to meet the moment. By the time the fourth quarter came around, I think they were defeated knowing an all time great clutch player in curry was not likely to let that lead slip away.
for sure. The one thing I’ll add about the rebounding, we had more offensive rebounds than the warriors in 5 of the 7 games and going into game seven each team had won the overall rebounding battle 3 times.

you could also make an argument he was a big reason for the game one win despite the shooting. He had several steals and big plays early in that game that gave us momentum
I was pretty satisfied, with the Kings game 6 win and the series regardless of game 7 results.....the first half they played well, but the same old series problem came back again to bite em- rebounding. I'm not gonna dissect it too much more. Thought FTs were gonna cost em, but the Warriors obliged with a bunch of FT misses of their own.....

I think the team ought to bring everyone back and work on extending out the bench and focus on defense., and on offense working on new player combinations. As I'd mentioned a long while ago, statistically you'd love to get to a point where scoring distribution is having 10 players score in double figures - it doesn't happen in the NBA but ought to be an ideal. I was wondering before game 7 if some players could step in offensively if Fox or Monk had poor offensive game, that ended up being the case. Davis did for a half, but no one did the 2nd half. Klay Thompson had a horrendous shooting game, and the Warriors were missing FTs....just too many 2nd and 3rd chance points for Curry - rebounding was a 'leak in the boat' that didn't get addressed with enough urgency....whatever needed to happen didn't to fix the situation and it 'took on too much water'. 3rdQ was the problem quarter all series.

So yeah re-sign, extend, and work the team all together....just need to refine and work hard on how to bring out defense collectively.

Smaller disappointment in the sereis was Brown not playing Edwards or Metu at all. They'd both had some good games in the regular season.

I for one will wonder why Brown went with certain lineups but I’m not going to question the guy. He’s good…..really good. We are lucky to have him. I’m sure there are reasons. Last I checked, if HB hits at game winning shot, we win the series earlier. And I don’t think we can win the series without Huerter playing well and we didn’t. It’s on Kevin.

After a more thorough rewatching and reflecting, I think it is Brown's fault for the delayed adjustments in the game, possibly having too much respect for the Dubs like "Steph is gonna be Steph" kinda way. Even though over the whole game 7, Steph was really the only one who was capable of beating us. Outside of a few shots from Wiggins, and some Klay's free throws, no one on that team got anything offensively.

But just as the media kept saying, "The young Kings and their inexperience", I have to remember it was Brown's first stint too with us. I can cut him some slacks and move on hoping that this lesson is painful enough (pretty painful for me and though I had mostly lost my Kings fandom from the 17 years of woe and just being an observer of the sports, I still feel some kind of mood for we all could feel in our guts that it should've been Kings vs Lakers, but I digress) for our young Kings to grow and be better next season.

So long, friends. I had a lot of fun just cheering them on all season and I can't really ask for more. I might've been a bit moody and aggressive throughout the process but I must admit I love my time here and you guys rock!

(Christine would be smiling looking down on us and this fearless young Kings team)

We also have to remember that while Barnes just barely missed a game winning shot that would have won us the series, Wiggins also missed a game winning shot that would have won it for the Warriors early as well.

Both teams evened out on that aspect.

I for one will wonder why Brown went with certain lineups but I’m not going to question the guy. He’s good…..really good. We are lucky to have him. I’m sure there are reasons. Last I checked, if HB hits at game winning shot, we win the series earlier. And I don’t think we can win the series without Huerter playing well and we didn’t. It’s on Kevin.
Yes, Kevin was the one that didn't show up all series, but Huerter isn't going to bench himself. Coach should had taken him out a long time ago. He would of had a better chance to get going against the Warriors bench.

I'm not saying Brown is not good, he's a really good coach. He's the best coach we've had since Adelman. However, I hope he learns from this playoff series loss and realize the playoffs are a chess game played over 2 weeks. You need to adjust on the fly, like Kerr did. Kerr adjusted from half to half of every game.

Davion was the main defender vs Curry for the first 5 games and we were down 3-2. Yes, he made him work and moments of great D but he never really stopped him.

In the last 2 games, we were 1-1 without Davion getting much run. I don’t know if it really mattered in the end, who was guarding Curry.
stop it the record changed cause Murray showed up and Heurter finally hit 2-3 3’s Davis was a traffic cone and curry was probably laughing that we let a guy going under picks defend him while he reached at half court and gave him layups

Status
Not open for further replies.