[Game] Golden State Warriors (6) @ Sacramento Kings (3) (WCDS Game 7, 3-3) 4/30/2023 12:30pm Pacific 3:30pm Eastern (ABC)

On October 3, 2022, did you, in your wildest dreams, picture the Kings playing in a game 7?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
What is so sad is that Davion being the best on ball defender in the game didn't even get a chance to stop Curry. He clearly is the ONLY one in the lineup that can disrupt Curry. Having Davis out there I get it...he did great in game 6...but if you're going to go with Davis...why are you also putting in Sabonis? Brown should be going small lineups like he did in game 6 spread the floor and attack Looney. But by sub in Sabonis....he might as well sub in Davion. Anyway, this is puzzling to me and it is what pissed me off about this game. I rather him play the small lineup and getting beat than not experience it, then regret not seeing it in fruition especially what I seen in game 6. And also regret that he didn't even give Davion much minutes. You're basically letting the best shooter in the world to get off easy and once he is on fire, it's hard to stop.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
I mean, when Steph started to get hot, he should've stuck Davion on him, even just as a temporary solution. Same thing like I question his decision to not bring in Len to bang down low with Looney so he can't grab every single rebound.
It will be interesting to see what version of Davion we get next year. He proved in this series that he can hang with one of the best scorers in NBA history and deserves to be on the floor. But he also got subbed out in the two most important games of the season because his jumpers weren't falling. If he focuses on his jumper in the off-season, we'll be in a good place next year. I wish he had a level of confidence on offense commensurate with his defensive intensity because it's fully within his capability to improve as a shooter and if he does that he'll be a lynchpin player for us like Smart has been for Boston. He doesn't need to shoot the lights out or anything, league average would be fine. Mainly he can't be passive and force us to play 4 on 5.

It will be interesting to see what version of Davion we get next year. He proved in this series that he can hang with one of the best scorers in NBA history and deserves to be on the floor. But he also got subbed out in the two most important games of the season because his jumpers weren't falling. If he focuses on his jumper in the off-season, we'll be in a good place next year. I wish he had a level of confidence on offense commensurate with his defensive intensity because it's fully within his capability to improve as a shooter and if he does that he'll be a lynchpin player for us like Smart has been for Boston. He doesn't need to shoot the lights out or anything, league average would be fine. Mainly he can't be passive and force us to play 4 on 5.
Yup, agreed.

I honestly think it's his form that's off, just looks a little funky.

I'd rather him fix his form rather than putting so much repetition with his current form which I feel just isn't optimal

I like to see his game improve in attacking the basket, absorb contact and draw foul...since he's already strong and should be able to do that....he already has the quickness to drive by and attack but he only does it when there is an opportunity. Beside shooting...i think he should work on attacking and working on drop shot like De'Aaron Fox did. Keegan should in in gym to add strength in the offseason and working on attacking and absorbing contact as well....he's a little weak when he rise up and attack the basket...that's why it's easy to block his shot and got called for jump ball in this game. Learn to do pump fake, jump and absorb contact. Once you add muscle and strength, you can be an enforcer in rebounding too. Jaylen Brown of the Celtics doesn't become great in a couple years....he transform his body. Same with Jaren Jackson Jr.

Respect.

And I'd like to add that I'll be taking very long "shame showers" after each game.
In a way I wouldn't mind seeing the Warriors win and go far in the playoffs. The more the Warriors win the better the Kings look. It would validate how well we played the Warriors even more so.

yikes...what a disaster of an ending to the season. When Curry goes for 50 and you have your best defender playing only 8 minutes, the plan here was sacrificing defense for more offense and the Kings got worked on the boards which has been their issue all season long. This is a great learning experience for them and Monte needs to go and find some size in the off season.

What is so sad is that Davion being the best on ball defender in the game didn't even get a chance to stop Curry. He clearly is the ONLY one in the lineup that can disrupt Curry. Having Davis out there I get it...he did great in game 6...but if you're going to go with Davis...why are you also putting in Sabonis? Brown should be going small lineups like he did in game 6 spread the floor and attack Looney. But by sub in Sabonis....he might as well sub in Davion. Anyway, this is puzzling to me and it is what pissed me off about this game. I rather him play the small lineup and getting beat than not experience it, then regret not seeing it in fruition especially what I seen in game 6. And also regret that he didn't even give Davion much minutes. You're basically letting the best shooter in the world to get off easy and once he is on fire, it's hard to stop.
I would have started Mitchell for Huerter. Many were calling for it in game 6 and only let go of the idea, because Huerter hit two shots in the 4th quarter of that game. Other than those two, he was non productive the whole series

Really, I can accept Curry going ballistic and beating us with 50 points in Game 7, Davion or no Davion. But I am still having a hard time making peace with letting Looney beat us this badly on rebounding. That was a Ryan Garcia level of gut punch that won't soon recover.
true at the same time davis is our third best guard defender why have him on him. Mid way through the second TD was making grade school mistakes out there like gambling at half court and going under Steph screens dude should’ve been glued to the bench asap

Strange that the younger/deeper team ran out of gas in the 3rd/4th quarters, insanely good season I really think the Kings should go all in on #2 option unless they think Murray can be that guy. I would love if they swung for the fences next year.

I agreed. Brown substitutions is puzzling to me in this game. I think it has a lot to do with the Kings losing this game. You don't see the normal winning rotations of players but awkward lineups that spell trouble. The small lineups he didn't use much and instead use too much of Sabonis in the lineup which doesn't help opening up Fox and Monk to attack the basket, no Davion....i mean coming man. I don't know what is Brown thinking. He's probably thinking using the same small lineup wouldn't work anymore lol. Like seriously, you stick with something that kill the Warriors in game 6. It's almost he's trying to help the Warriors win by not doing things that lead them to winning game 6? Anyway, it's puzzling to me.

It is no easy feat to go from the patsies of the League to playoff contenders in one year. The Kings had trouble yesterday because they were playing the reigning champions who have been there so many times before. Kudos to Curry for an unbelievable game. He is still a punk but I recognize his greatness. Looney was the work horse. The Warriors had a huge mental edge.

The Kings now have earned the respect of the Ws. It was obvious after the game. For years the Ws would just walk off without even shaking hands with the Kings. Now the Kings have earned the respect of the league. That makes trades and hiring free agents much easier. Sac-Town is on the map for the first time in 20 years. All of the players gained valuable experience which will make winning easier in the future.

Coach Brown and D Christie changed everything in one year. Congratulations to them. Brown guessed wrong in the second half, but he has never been afraid to take some chances. He is the coach the Kings have been looking for since Adelman.

Stop beating up Sabonis. He is beat up enough already. Looney and Green made his life miserable for a week.
Fox, Monk and Mitchell were hard to believe.
The Kings have a deep bench.
The future is so bright I gotta wear shades.

yikes...what a disaster of an ending to the season. When Curry goes for 50 and you have your best defender playing only 8 minutes, the plan here was sacrificing defense for more offense and the Kings got worked on the boards which has been their issue all season long. This is a great learning experience for them and Monte needs to go and find some size in the off season.
Kings seem to have the players to offset what the Warriors did...it's the dumb substitution that cost them this game imo. You have Len with the size...maybe he will help. You have Davion that can at least make things hard for Curry and probably the only player in the world that can disrupt him in anything he does...and he didn't use him (those bs layups by Curry would likely not happen if Davion is on him). Like what are you doing? You're a defensive coach and you don't see that as problem? If you're going to gamble sacrifice defense for offense power, you might as well go with the small lineups which they did and exploded in game 6...but very puzzling with his decision making.

Davion was the main defender vs Curry for the first 5 games and we were down 3-2. Yes, he made him work and moments of great D but he never really stopped him.

In the last 2 games, we were 1-1 without Davion getting much run. I don’t know if it really mattered in the end, who was guarding Curry.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I don’t know how I got it into my mind that Looney was one of the young Warriors (probably because he spent his first couple of years in the league in street clothes) but he’s older than Domas???

Curry's 50 hurt and the media is going to make it seem like he did something miraculous, but he was actually less efficient than his own average in game 7. Not to take anything away from it because he's still extremely efficient but it wasn't even close to Jimmy Butler's game 4 against the Bucks.

Sabonis just flat out let Kevon Looney knock us out of the playoffs. Looney Jerome James'd us. The frustration in the 3rd quarter was only bested by the Lakers shooting 27 FTs against us in the 4th quarter of the WCF. The Warriors just flat out out muscled and out hustled us for the win. You take that with going ice cold in the 2nd half and the Kings had no chance. I mean the Warriors did everything in their power to keep us in this game too. I've never seen so many good FT shooters miss on that squad. Their 2nd and 3rd leading scorers were ice cold as well. That game was for the taking whether Curry put up 50 or not but the Kings just got out worked.

Barnes and Huerter turning into Ramon Sessions didn't help either. Keegan should not have been able to outplay both of these guys over the course of the series, but he did.

Kings seem to have the players to offset what the Warriors did...it's the dumb substitution that cost them this game imo. You have Len with the size...maybe he will help. You have Davion that can at least make things hard for Curry and probably the only player in the world that can disrupt him in anything he does...and he didn't use him (those bs layups by Curry would likely not happen if Davion is on him). Like what are you doing? You're a defensive coach and you don't see that as problem? If you're going to gamble sacrifice defense for offense power, you might as well go with the small lineups which they did and exploded in game 6...but very puzzling with his decision making.
Maybe Monte should have hired you instead of Coach Brown. You seem to have all the answers.

Davion was the main defender vs Curry for the first 5 games and we were down 3-2. Yes, he made him work and moments of great D but he never really stopped him.

In the last 2 games, we were 1-1 without Davion getting much run. I don’t know if it really mattered in the end, who was guarding Curry.
I think he does...Davion fight over screen better. At least one on one....Curry have trouble attacking the basket...not talking about pick n roll. Anybody can get open in pick n roll...but it is the one on one that Davion did to Curry...literally stopping him or making him work hard or take uncontrollable desperate shots. Of course that was just one factor that lead to the Kings lost...there are many factors as well. One being intelligent (IQ) as well...like at one time, the Kings keep fouling them unnecessarily and putting them at the line. And these fouls were because of offense charge trying to rebound. But if you're smart, you should know that we're in foul trouble...and cannot afford to give them easy two at the line. At the time, the scores were close...but it is hard to catch up if you keep making stupid mistakes throughout the game. The last straw was Davis fouling Klay shooting 3...that shifted the whole game. I always thought that intelligent is an X-factor for the Kings in the series...if they're going to win...they have to play smart ball...which mean going to Keegan...finding the hot shooters...don't commit dumb foul if you know you're in foul trouble, box out when the ball is in the air....it's things like that that they didn't do in this game which allow GS to break away with momentum imo. Another factor is coach Brown's puzzling substitution and not playing the small lineups more often.

Status
Not open for further replies.