[Game] Kings @ Timberwolves 1/28/2023 5pm Pacific 8pm Eastern

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does Huerter provide anything if he's not hitting the 3?

Davion kept the team alive imo with his defense early on.

Sabonis was a stud.

Can't miss free throws like that and ideally we have a Davion type defender on the wing. Anthony Edwards absolutely torched the team, Okpala would be it but his offense looked really bad.

Put Monk back in, he was the only one hitting.
You want to feed the hot hand, not sink him on the bench. Barnes had an off night. If Coach Brown had put in Malik and set up some plays for him, the Fox & Monk show might have overcome the gap.

The other point is that the starters played heavy minutes running uphill. They play the same team in the same arena Monday night. Put in fresh legs and let them take over in the fourth quarter. That's what soccer coaches do.

But at least I can once again say "hot hand" with regards to Monk.

I keep seeing “garbage team” in regards to the Twolves. They’re 11-4 in their last 15. They’re not garbage. They were a lot of pundits picks to compete for the West after acquiring Gobert. Obviously they’ve been mostly disappointing so far but let’s not pretend this is the Spurs or Rockets.
And the Kings can't afford to get too confident. Not when you have a list of former MVP level players in that muck right behind you including the reigning champions. The next game is a big one.

Does Huerter provide anything if he's not hitting the 3?

Davion kept the team alive imo with his defense early on.

Sabonis was a stud.

Can't miss free throws like that and ideally we have a Davion type defender on the wing. Anthony Edwards absolutely torched the team, Okpala would be it but his offense looked really bad.
Huerter's probably the 2nd best pick and roll guard on the team behind Fox which even in bad games does take a little pressure off. The problem with Davion is you see what happens if he's guarding up on bigger players. They can pull up right over the top of him. Davion and Fox did pretty well but the backcourt size of the Wolves was an issue tonight.

Huerter's probably the 2nd best pick and roll guard on the team behind Fox which even in bad games does take a little pressure off. The problem with Davion is you see what happens if he's guarding up on bigger players. They can pull up right over the top of him. Davion and Fox did pretty well but the backcourt size of the Wolves was an issue tonight.
Yea he shouldn't be guarding bigger guys like Edwards

Kings gotta straighten this crap out cause with how bunched together the west is, a 5 game losing streak can take you completely out of the playoff picture.
The (only) brightspot is the West and really like 24 teams in the NBA are just a bloodbath every night. I wonder if this is just the new normal for the NBA where there's like 4 actually bad teams, maybe 2-3 real contenders and just 24 teams that are 1 Standard deviation apart in terms of talent/team. So everyone just takes turns beating each other up. Might be the teams who clean up the slop the best (DET, HOU, SAS, CHA) are the ones who get the playoff spots. And who peaks correctly at the end of the season and goes on a 5-game win streak to finish out the year.

NOP lost, DAL lost, DEN lost, PHX needed OT to beat the Spurs, POR is currently down 15 to the Raps, LAL is going to lose to BOS in OT. Like you said, the key needs to be avoiding big losing streaks. If you can weather playing bad by playing around .500 ball, the Kings can survive and keep their standing. 1-3 in their last 4, so this next Minny gameecomes pretty important to stick to that ideal. You can survive 2-3 stretches. Probably can't survive 1-4 stretches if those keep stacking up

We really need to find a PF with great size & length.

You can get by with wings the size of Murray and Barnes if you have a big, long defensive C but when your C is 6’10” in shoes with a 6’10.5” wingspan, it can really be exploited in certain matchups whether that’s on the glass, on switches, having a guy like Jaren Jackson just rise over you, etc.

From a size/length standpoint, I think Murray at SF is solid (6’8” in shoes and 225 lbs with a 6’11 wingspan) and but Barnes (6’8” in shoes and 228 lbs with a 6’11.25” wingspan & 8’6” standing reach) is fairly under sized for a PF. Having a guy like Anunoby (6’7.75” in shoes and 233 lbs with a 7’2.25” wingspan & 8’11.5” standing reach) or Siakam (6’9.5” in shoes and 227 lbs with a 7’3.25” wingspan & 8’11.5” standing reach) at PF would really help.

On top of his size & length, Anunoby’s 3PA/36 min, 3P%, 3PAr, defense, and age would make him an excellent fit with our current core.

However, as much as I like Siakam’s game and think he would be a great fit next to Sabonis, I don’t like the offensive fit of Fox-Siakam-Sabonis. All these guys like to make their living in the paint/midrange. If we were to bring Siakam here, I’d have to look at trading Fox. Siakam and Sabonis would be one of the most dynamic front courts in the league and their passing would be reminiscent of the Webber/Vlade days I’m sure, but they’d need 3 shooters around them to maximize their impact.

Theoretically speaking, VanVleet would be a solid fit at PG in this hypothetical. I’m not convinced we could trade for Siakam and VanVleet without giving up Murray but if you could be left with a starting lineup of…

VanVleet
Huerter
Murray or Barnes or Anunoby
Siakam
Sabonis

…you’d have to at least consider it.

The (only) brightspot is the West and really like 24 teams in the NBA are just a bloodbath every night. I wonder if this is just the new normal for the NBA where there's like 4 actually bad teams, maybe 2-3 real contenders and just 24 teams that are 1 Standard deviation apart in terms of talent/team. So everyone just takes turns beating each other up. Might be the teams who clean up the slop the best (DET, HOU, SAS, CHA) are the ones who get the playoff spots. And who peaks correctly at the end of the season and goes on a 5-game win streak to finish out the year.

NOP lost, DAL lost, DEN lost, PHX needed OT to beat the Spurs, POR is currently down 15 to the Raps, LAL is going to lose to BOS in OT. Like you said, the key needs to be avoiding big losing streaks. If you can weather playing bad by playing around .500 ball, the Kings can survive and keep their standing. 1-3 in their last 4, so this next Minny gameecomes pretty important to stick to that ideal. You can survive 2-3 stretches. Probably can't survive 1-4 stretches if those keep stacking up
The point you are making is every team is meh, including the Kings. If we end up 6 with a better pick in a good draft I would be okay with that outcome. So I’m not too stressing with some of these losses. We need 3 things to happen:
1) get a defensive wing in free agency.
2) draft a defensive wing in the draft
3) get Queta able to play at this level.

Davion is great on defense but very limited. We have to have a defensive wing. Okpala isn’t stepping up.

Pretty dunk but we needed a 3???

Lackadaisacal defensive effort when we should’ve fouled leading to a 3

don’t understand the strategy to end this if there was any

regression to the mean should hopefully be a huge swing Monday on shooting alone but this kind of effort isn’t gonna cut it.

Domas was the only starter who looked any kind of competent. Wasted effort
It's the second time they've done it in the last couple weeks.

I don't get the point in getting cute and going for quick 2s when it's 3s that you need. Yeah it's a lower percentage shot to go for the 3 but if you go for a 2, you need extraordinary circumstances to happen in order for you to catch back up that have much lower odds than simply just getting a 3 point look in the first place.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Crappy defense. Why does Brown sub Mitchell for Fox after 6.5 minutes into the first quarter all the time? It seems like he doesn't like what Fox is giving him on the defensive end and subs in Mitchell to get more effort. Fox's points in the 4th quarter are empty stats if the game is out of reach. I don't understand why the Kings are not giving the defensive effort after several days of rest. Lazy basketball.

Crappy defense. Why does Brown sub Mitchell for Fox after 6.5 minutes into the first quarter all the time? It seems like he doesn't like what Fox is giving him on the defensive end and subs in Mitchell to get more effort. Fox's points in the 4th quarter are empty stats if the game is out of reach. I don't understand why the Kings are not giving the defensive effort after several days of rest. Lazy basketball.
It's just part of the normal structured sub pattern with the goal to have one of Sabonis/Fox on the court at all times. Fox off at 6 minute mark, back in when Sabonis subs out at 10-12 minute mark.

Game wasn’t out of reach, one of Fox’s buckets cut the lead to 5 at the 5:00 mark. Our offense is good enough that we were within striking distance most of the way, just happened that the Wolves weren’t missing. It sucks that we were obviously struggling to turn up the defense but that’s gonna be the story until there are more personnel changes and more time with this coaching staff

Games like these are winnable for us but it’s gonna be frustrating to watch for a while when the defense isn’t there and we have to rely on opposing teams making mistakes or going cold to close the gap

I'm not a big fan of what I'm seeing from the Kings in the last couple of games. At this point, they've dropped a few too many of these winnable games against inferior opponents. They've gotta get that sorted, or they're going to be the kind of cinderella story that flames out in six games in the first round of the playoffs, home court advantage or not.

They're still somehow hanging onto third place in the western conference, but a .563 win percentage would have been good for seventh in the west at the end of last season. I was thinking this team had a 50-win feeling to them, but these days I'm less convinced that they can reach those heights after all 82 are in the bag. 45 wins seems about right.

Of course, that's nothing to be ashamed of, considering the futility of the last sixteen years! A top-six finish and a first-round appearance would still constitute enormous improvement, but it does fall short of what I think is the upper end of this squad's potential. Perhaps I've just gotten greedy.

I'm not a big fan of what I'm seeing from the Kings in the last couple of games. At this point, they've dropped a few too many of these winnable games against inferior opponents. They've gotta get that sorted, or they're going to be the kind of cinderella story that flames out in six games in the first round of the playoffs, home court advantage or not.

They're still somehow hanging onto third place in the western conference, but a .563 win percentage would have been good for seventh in the west at the end of last season.

It’s just the nature of an up and down NBA season. Minny is 11-4 in the last 15. I don’t consider any team outside of the Spurs, Rockets and Pistons to be inferior to most NBA teams, and even those teams are talented. The league is stacked and it will only get harder. Players are playing longer, more international talent and so on.

the .563 would be good for 7th but the team that got the last play in spot last year has the win percentage of the 14th best team this year. There are not going to be a bunch of 50 wins teams this year because there arent going to be a bunch of 30 win teams to balance it out

Last edited:

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Not happy with some of the losses either and I had written Minny off as a dumpster fire based on their start but 11-4 over the last 15 is as good a run as most any team except the best have had this year. Hopefully we take the second game because even for "shoots good vs. the Kings" they had a good night and we were spectacularly bad at the point I had to leave to take my kid to his game last night.

It's just part of the normal structured sub pattern with the goal to have one of Sabonis/Fox on the court at all times. Fox off at 6 minute mark, back in when Sabonis subs out at 10-12 minute mark.
Yep and this is why Monte has to find someone so that Brown doesn't have to keep doing this. Every minute Fox and Sabonis don't share is another minute this team isn't at maximum talent capacity. This kind of stuff usually flies right out the window come playoff time.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Maybe so. Regardless, Fox's MO has been apparent for years - he's a slow starter. Somehow, someway, he's got to get his engine going when the game starts, especially on the defensive end. It's no wonder that opposing guards can feel confident on the offensive end when they are given a free pass at the beginning of games. Given the fact that Brown is a defensive coach, it's especially frustrating to watch.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Game wasn’t out of reach, one of Fox’s buckets cut the lead to 5 at the 5:00 mark. Our offense is good enough that we were within striking distance most of the way, just happened that the Wolves weren’t missing. It sucks that we were obviously struggling to turn up the defense but that’s gonna be the story until there are more personnel changes and more time with this coaching staff

Games like these are winnable for us but it’s gonna be frustrating to watch for a while when the defense isn’t there and we have to rely on opposing teams making mistakes or going cold to close the gap
Whatever. Typical fight your way back from a big deficit only to fall short. The offense isn't going to save them nine times out ten in those situations. There has to be more effort at the defensive end.

We really need to find a PF with great size & length.

You can get by with wings the size of Murray and Barnes if you have a big, long defensive C but when your C is 6’10” in shoes with a 6’10.5” wingspan, it can really be exploited in certain matchups whether that’s on the glass, on switches, having a guy like Jaren Jackson just rise over you, etc.

From a size/length standpoint, I think Murray at SF is solid (6’8” in shoes and 225 lbs with a 6’11 wingspan) and but Barnes (6’8” in shoes and 228 lbs with a 6’11.25” wingspan & 8’6” standing reach) is fairly under sized for a PF. Having a guy like Anunoby (6’7.75” in shoes and 233 lbs with a 7’2.25” wingspan & 8’11.5” standing reach) or Siakam (6’9.5” in shoes and 227 lbs with a 7’3.25” wingspan & 8’11.5” standing reach) at PF would really help.

On top of his size & length, Anunoby’s 3PA/36 min, 3P%, 3PAr, defense, and age would make him an excellent fit with our current core.

However, as much as I like Siakam’s game and think he would be a great fit next to Sabonis, I don’t like the offensive fit of Fox-Siakam-Sabonis. All these guys like to make their living in the paint/midrange. If we were to bring Siakam here, I’d have to look at trading Fox. Siakam and Sabonis would be one of the most dynamic front courts in the league and their passing would be reminiscent of the Webber/Vlade days I’m sure, but they’d need 3 shooters around them to maximize their impact.

Theoretically speaking, VanVleet would be a solid fit at PG in this hypothetical. I’m not convinced we could trade for Siakam and VanVleet without giving up Murray but if you could be left with a starting lineup of…

VanVleet
Huerter
Murray or Barnes or Anunoby
Siakam
Sabonis

…you’d have to at least consider it.
I think Jarred Vanderbilt would be a really good addition for us. Maybe a potential Davion-Vanderbilt swap could be considered. I love what Davion brings us off the bench, but I’d prioritize a good wing rotation guys over a good backup PG. There are plenty of PGs we can find to be serviceable as a backup. Vanderbilt gives us insurance in case Barnes leaves as well.

I think Jarred Vanderbilt would be a really good addition for us. Maybe a potential Davion-Vanderbilt swap could be considered. I love what Davion brings us off the bench, but I’d prioritize a good wing rotation guys over a good backup PG. There are plenty of PGs we can find to be serviceable as a backup. Vanderbilt gives us insurance in case Barnes leaves as well.
If we're going to get better, I'm not sure that the strategy of swapping good defender is the way to go. We need to be stocking them. I agree that Vanderbilt would be a good acquisition for that reason

Status
Not open for further replies.