[Game] Kings vs. Pacers - 11/30/22, 7PM PST, 10PM EST

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man was that electrifying in the house tonight! Haven’t heard that much energy since the early 2000s. I mean all of us on our feet, people were texting me knowing I was there, and just a hell of alot of fun. Everyone really came thru, a few bad calls, still shaking my head over the flagrant one, but we still kicked ass. Feel the roar and light the beam

Like wtf is this? Legit switches onto 4 Pacers and still has the effort to put a good contest and force a miss. Unreal

Keegan had some really good defense out of the switch too. That's this teams identity defensively for better or worse. It's all they've got. Commit and this team won't be at the bottom of the defensive ratings much longer.

Rewatching the game with the Pacers broadcast this time and Quin Buckner is telling the Pacers to attack Davion on defense. Has the dude ever seen Davion play?
No different than everyone who ignored Hali until he was off the Kings really. Of course he has probably only watched the two games the teams played prior.

JJ Redick and others with opinion as "malpractice trade" can put their heads into sand and continue talking there....

I've read a lot of comment on youtube about today's game and I can say this: Hali lovers - you are stuck in the past, move on and look to current Kings roster, which is playing nice and are competitive in all games. Future looks quite bright now and only time will tell how we will feel at the end of this season :)

Your takes keep being proved wrong.
Are you going to light the beam? There's a lot of excitement for a Wednesday night game in November, against a team, who is playing a few ticks above its current talent level. Over drafting a dude at #4 and trading a future first to treadmill ain't my thing. I like my teams to have goals a few ticks beyond its reach.

Kings basketball is at its most exciting when Monk and TD are cooking off the bench. Monk can be out of control but he is electrifying when he gets it going. Was attempting to posterize every big man on the Pacers last night.

When Monk threw that lob to TD, I was thinking what the hell are you doing lobbing it up to this guy like he's prime Deandre Jordan?

TD still threw it down.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
“The Kings had a bad offseason actually” is such a weird hill to die on that I honestly respect the commitment.

Not for nothing but the Kings and Pacers rosters aren’t that far apart in average age, with the only “old” King getting huge roster minute being Harrison Barnes, who is 30 years old. Meanwhile a lot of the Pacers surprise success this season has come on the backs of the two guys they’ve been trying to showcase to the Lakers all year. Ideally they’d be able to pawn those guys off for more assets and really kick their rebuild off but most of the contenders around the league at this point have fully exhausted their resources or are smart enough to not give up a bunch of picks for a three month rental of Myles Turner and two more years of Buddy’s contract.

While the Pacers have three picks in the upcoming draft, none of those picks are gonna wind up being very good unless the Pacers start playing tank games sooner rather than later (They have the Celtics and Cavs picks this season but both of those could wind up being in the mid-late 20s range).

I really liked Benn going into the draft but his defense has honestly been worse than advertised and I’m pretty sure the 10 free throws a night he’s been getting in Indiana would have been two or three a night on the Kings because the refs hate us. Also us drafting him would probably mean no Huerter and/or Monk and also an even bigger hole at the wing (while Benn is as big as a lot of wings, he’s pretty much exclusively been a guard in the NBA).

Meanwhile, Pacers fans are stuck in the same holding pattern we were with Buddy Hield where we would try to convince ourselves that he’s actually secretly very good while we wait for the Lakers to get desperate enough to trade for him because no other team in their right mind would trade for a 30-year-old volume shooting two guard who is bad at defense and making decisions.

Of course the huge pivot point for the Pacers is Myles’s impending free agency. The guy’s had a good enough year that he’s probably gonna demand a huge deal this summer and, while he’s young enough that he could still fit their timeline, hamstringing your rebuild by offering your 4th option role player a massive contract one year into a full reconstruction doesn’t really seem like the smartest way to do things (see: Vlade giving Buddy a nine figure extension pretty much the first chance he could resulting in the Kings having no cap room to work with for the next couple of seasons).

Tyrese is also eligible for a max extension this summer which is, as we all know, when the real fun begins (I.e. random dudes on the internet start ripping him to shreds for not being good at defense or not leaving an imprint or whatever).

It’s also yet to be seen how this hot start to the season has affected their notoriously anti-tanking owner’s rubber stamping of a couple of rebuilding seasons. How many more games do they have to win this season before their owner gets greedy and asks Kevin Pritchard to trade picks and some of their lesser prospects for guys to help them win now?

For all the talk about the Kings hamstringing their future to make the play-in, they only have one outgoing pick that’ll probably (knock on wood) convey in 2024 at somewhere around the 15-25 range and have a surplus of second round picks to tool with/sell to the Rockets so they can draft KJ Martin. Also the guy they traded that pick for turned out to be better than anticipated to the point he’s getting MIP talk and is still under contract for the next for years on incredibly affordable money, which I guess counts as treadmilling if the treadmill in question is a Scrooge MacDuck style dive into a pool of found money.

Nothing about what this Kings team is doing seems fluky or unsustainable. If anything, there’s ample room for improvement but also clear ways for that improvement to be achieved. After 16 years of waffling and desperate grabs for assets that would rarely pan out (I’m looking at you, Derrick Williams signing), we’ve finally advanced past the asset accumulation stage of team building and are at the spending assets to get even better stage. This isn’t to say that the Kings need to go out there and trade all our picks and pick swaps for the first disgruntled star that wants a move but to say that the Kings have finally moved beyond “Hopefully this young guy pans out so we can someday eventually be good again”.

You may not have liked the plan or think that it’s not the right way to go about things but thus far it’s been working and probably working better than a full blow it up rebuild would have given the circumstances of this franchise in regards to its standing in the NBA hierarchy.

I’m not trying to say everything is all sunshine and rainbows. We’re still only 20 games into the season. But if you’re going to go through the motions of the facade of being a Kings fan, at least try to act even a teeny little bit excited by what has been the best stretch of basketball by this franchise in 18 years.

JJ Redick and others with opinion as "malpractice trade" can put their heads into sand and continue talking there....

I've read a lot of comment on youtube about today's game and I can say this: Hali lovers - you are stuck in the past, move on and look to current Kings roster, which is playing nice and are competitive in all games. Future looks quite bright now and only time will tell how we will feel at the end of this season :)
Yesterday was GREAT. However, to fans who can think past a season or 2, a lot of long term thinking fans still wouldn't make the hali trade again. When all is said and done which means 7-8 years down the road, the kings will be the loser of this deal. But again, I'm thinking in totality, not 1 or 2 seasons down the road. Last night, we won the trade. It was an awesome showing.

I don't get why thinking we lost the hali trade is such a thorn in most fans sides. Its debated what, 2-3 times a year at this point? Big deal! Now we move on in the schedule and its dropped until we play them again. Its kind of like Luka. At this point in time the kings shatting the bed and not drafting a generational player is now only brought up when we play him. It'll always be there but its no longer an everyday debate.

I was so thrilled to see the Kings come out as a team and want this one so bad. It's so fun to watch them rock the arena and the fans in absolute jubilation. Having Monk come off the bench and just power that second unit and augment the first unit with his playmaking, shot making, and bravado is such a great sight. G1C finally rocking like Arco!

Yesterday was GREAT. However, to fans who can think past a season or 2, a lot of long term thinking fans still wouldn't make the hali trade again. When all is said and done which means 7-8 years down the road, the kings will be the loser of this deal. But again, I'm thinking in totality, not 1 or 2 seasons down the road. Last night, we won the trade. It was an awesome showing.
I get that instant gratification has a limit, even when it returns a championship like the AD deal for the Lakers.

But I don't think this was a franchise killer like that move. Even if in 7-8 years from now Hali is a superstar (I doubt he'll move beyond perennial all-star but that's still nice) and the Pacers are in a better place, that's ok if we get 3-4 years of 50+ wins and reach the second round regularly. At this point the future is still unwritten enough that we can keep building on what we have so far, we're not in an all out win now or panic mode. We aren't even in a complete cluster-f of decisions need to be made right now mode, which Indy actually is.

I don't get why thinking we lost the hali trade is such a thorn in most fans sides. Its debated what, 2-3 times a year at this point? Big deal! Now we move on in the schedule and its dropped until we play them again. Its kind of like Luka. At this point in time the kings shatting the bed and not drafting a generational player is now only brought up when we play him. It'll always be there but its no longer an everyday debate.
You are on to something here, and I think at the root of it all this a franchise that feels that it cant afford to miss in the draft or in trades (which we cant, really). When we made the Hali trade I think we all collectively gasped, at the possibility of missing. Well fast forward and we have a Domas that wants to be here, and a team of scrappers abd ballers who share the ball and who will figure out their defensive identity in time (we saw traces of it last night for sure). Great post though, time and winning heals all!

Because it's a bad take. And it's being proven this season that the Kings are significantly better with Sabonis than they were with Hali. He's the engine of a top 5 offense.

The trade always predicated on Sabonis resigning here. Now that we know the skill-sets mesh so well with Brown/Fox, that's the only remaining hitch on this being one of the best win-win trades in recent history. And where Kings fans are rightfully frustrated is it feels like national media (and a few on this forum) just ignore what Sabonis has been doing in a Kings uniform. He's a deserving all-star.

Man was that electrifying in the house tonight! Haven’t heard that much energy since the early 2000s. I mean all of us on our feet, people were texting me knowing I was there, and just a hell of alot of fun. Everyone really came thru, a few bad calls, still shaking my head over the flagrant one, but we still kicked ass. Feel the roar and light the beam
On a Kings fan scale of 1 to 10 that was a 2.

If they have a home playoff game this year it will push towards the 1996 playoffs that were craziest ever. Unless you were at that first game in 1996 you have no clue what this fanbase will do. Game 7 of the wcf never came close.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
On a Kings fan scale of 1 to 10 that was a 2.

If they have a home playoff game this year it will push towards the 1996 playoffs that were craziest ever. Unless you were at that first game in 1996 you have no clue what this fanbase will do. Game 7 of the wcf never came close.
I’d imagine they’d have the plaza packed and the hangar doors open. There would probably be several noise records broken.

Don’t want to put the cart before the horse but I can’t wait for that day to come.

Because it's a bad take. And it's being proven this season that the Kings are significantly better with Sabonis than they were with Hali. He's the engine of a top 5 offense.

The trade always predicated on Sabonis resigning here. Now that we know the skill-sets mesh so well with Brown/Fox, that's the only remaining hitch on this being one of the best win-win trades in recent history. And where Kings fans are rightfully frustrated is it feels like national media (and a few on this forum) just ignore what Sabonis has been doing in a Kings uniform. He's a deserving all-star.
There's only a handful of bigs capable of running this offense and none of them are ever going to become available. Sabonis gets mad disrespect in this deal. If Fox is a Ferrari, Sabonis is the keys.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Tell me you don't read the #NBA folder without telling me...

I get that instant gratification has a limit, even when it returns a championship like the AD deal for the Lakers.

But I don't think this was a franchise killer like that move. Even if in 7-8 years from now Hali is a superstar (I doubt he'll move beyond perennial all-star but that's still nice) and the Pacers are in a better place, that's ok if we get 3-4 years of 50+ wins and reach the second round regularly. At this point the future is still unwritten enough that we can keep building on what we have so far, we're not in an all out win now or panic mode. We aren't even in a complete cluster-f of decisions need to be made right now mode, which Indy actually is.
After 16 years of missing playoffs, I don’t think the average fan cares about who win the trade in 7-8 years. Judging from the noise from the crowd, people cares about the current products. Heck, after not going to a game since 2019, I’m buying tickets for games next month

dude12

Hall of Famer

Wut

After 16 years of missing playoffs, I don’t think the average fan cares about who win the trade in 7-8 years. Judging from the noise from the crowd, people cares about the current products. Heck, after not going to a game since 2019, I’m buying tickets for games next month
December 2017 I was home for Christmas and wanted to go with my dad to the game and see G1C for first time. My mom requested I stay home that night (and well she did have a surprise for me that was worth the ask), but I would lose my dad 6 weeks later.

We lost Christine. There are others.

Many of us will probably never see the Kings raise a banner if we are being real. But we can see playoff basketball again. We can have 50+ game winners again. There can be a time where 3/4 games you go to at G1C you are relatively assured you'll see a win.

To me that's sorta the point. Yeah winning it all would be just the literal crowning achievement but god damn. I just want to leave the arena happy.

The doubt remaining about Sabonis at this point, is can he be effective enough against the bigger centers in the Western Conference. He plays a physical style, which has been limited to an extent, when going up against someone who is larger/heavier than he is. The good news is that his outside shot is looking a lot better,...which could be huge going through the season and in the likely future scenario, where he ends up in a series against one of these guys like Zubac, Nurkic, Adams, and Jokic.

For this team to reach it's potential with Sabonis as a center piece, his outside shot needs to be a legitimate threat

Status
Not open for further replies.