[Game] Kings vs. Pacers - 11/30/22, 7PM PST, 10PM EST

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO, kings fans are treating the Halliburton trade like they treat not drafting Doncic. First it was denial, now its to not speak his name. And if anyone talks about him, you are shamed. It happened with Doncic, and its now the same with Halliburton. If no one talks about him, its not as bad as it really is.

Theres a reason why 100% of the NBA and fans thought the kings were stupid for trading halliburton. No matter what happens with Fox, we are always gonna be the loser in the halliburton trade.

I thought it was horrible when it happened. I think its way worse now.
I mean, the "Hali" crew are basically the only ones crying in these threads, not anybody else. It's like you're mad that no one else is upset about the deal so you're claiming you're being "silenced".

Kings traded the wrong guard. You take the guard that makes everyone better. See Holmes, Richaun.
From day one, I thought the value was fine and still do.
The Hali feels post trade, from Hali, is likely due to him feeling mislead. Not surprising given how Monte's well known for a lack of diplomacy with ex-Kings players during and post trade. Monte's behavior? I'm fine with that--it's hard to be friendly/family with everyone in business. Everything before then? Hali seems to think it's not cool.
Yhall talking schedules and team's missing key players to justify the Kings vs Pacers record. Kings have played teams sans key players throughout the year--Kawahi, Butler, CP3, Lebron, Bane..so I don't know why that's even a variable.
Look at the points differential and streaks. Shaka going to shake.

In a perfect world maybe you could trade Fox for an all star big, Buddy is a positive asset that also brings a return, but that's not where we live.

Haliburton and Fox did not work. It's funny that "Haliburton makes everyone better" unless that person is Fox or Brogdon, or anyone else we decide is worth writing off. We would have extended him and then basically been frozen for two years until his extension kicked in so you could trade him, or watched Fox's value decline even more despite the fact that when Haliburton isn't here he's playing at an all star level himself.

There wasn't room for both, we moved the one we could move. There was no solution that wasn't going to be a bigger "L" here. I guess arguably we could have initiated a bidding war and gotten a splashier return on Haliburton. Like a younger player with more contract control, or a pick that is always a crapshoot. We got an all star big who seems to love it in Sacramento, plays excellently with Fox (and Huerter, who probably would not be here) and does a ton of stuff that doesn't exactly show up on the stat sheet but has helped turn us into one of the most exciting offensive teams in the league.

At worst this is an Atlanta chose Trae over Luka scenario. Except unlike either of those teams, we actually know that our team with Fox and Haliburton sucked.

Haliburton and Fox did not work. It's funny that "Haliburton makes everyone better" unless that person is Fox or Brogdon, or anyone else we decide is worth writing off. We would have extended him and then basically been frozen for two years until his extension kicked in so you could trade him, or watched Fox's value decline even more despite the fact that when Haliburton isn't here he's playing at an all star level himself.
He is elite at initiating for any player who is not just a point guard. So that pretty much means all shooting guards, wings, forwards, and centers.

He is elite at initiating for any player who is not just a point guard. So that pretty much means all shooting guards, wings, forwards, and centers.
Either way, our two best players made each other worse.

Fox is elite and my god if we gave him away at a discount and he wasn't being hampered with anti-Sacramento officiating on another team it would not be going any better here.

I'm happy with the direction we're headed.

I'll be boo n Hield and Cheering for Hali.

Why?

One wanted to leave from beginning the other cried when he was traded away. Easy
Plus Buddy had a terrible attitude as soon as he inked his extension.

The sports talk narrative has been Buddy was disliked because of his late game blunders and it’s seems odd that he is likely to be roundly booed. Buddy Blunders actually became so comical and predictable that it was almost endearing..I wouldn’t even get mad about it and when he delivered the Kings a Woss last season in Indiana by an unforced blunder i laughed about it for a good 10 minutes.

…but he was always saying dumb things to signal he thought he was too good to play here and of course there was the smiling and laughing during last seasons curb stomping in Boston which was likely the last straw.

I thought the treatment of Bagley was kinda unfair. Maybe boo him initially but every time he touched the ball was a little harsh. He didn’t draft himself ahead of Luka but Buddy will deserve the boo birds

Either way, our two best players made each other worse.

Fox is elite and my god if we gave him away at a discount and he wasn't being hampered with anti-Sacramento officiating on another team it would not be going any better here.

I'm happy with the direction we're headed.
Yeah, two point guards in a starting and/or closing lineup, usually isn't the best idea. Pretty basic stuff

I think this is the bottom line.

A move had to be made. We made one, and we got a lot better. Why should we be upset that the Pacers got better too? That's the sign of a good trade.
Right. I would have preferred to keep Hali, too, but he got us Sabonis. At best, Fox would have returned… maybe Ben Simmons?

Could you imagine if Fox was putting up all star numbers in Philly and we had a broken Simmons right now?

I really feel like Sabonis often gets lost when it boils down to Fox and Hali. Like I'm sorry there aren't many disgruntled superstars (like LPKF says above) that would be playing better than Sabonis is. Most of what he does isn't even showing up in the stats. He's a leader, he's a warrior, his play style really unlocks Fox and Huerter among others. Also the fact that we replaced Hali and Buddy (however you want to play this game) with Huerter and Monk, both on value contracts, both also very happy to be here.

Having the best player is nice but not when the team sucks. WTF did we ever get besides an NBA Live cover athlete and an ASG MVP for all the wonder years with Mitch? I mean I love that guy, in my top 5 Kings of the Sac era. But it was a lost half decade or so.

Sadly it's a double edged sword. The kings have also passed on Luka partly because of this same logic.

Just following up in 1999 we made a million changes (Adelman, Peja finally came, White Chocolate, Vlade, and Webber). Webber got all the accolades but it was Vlade that maybe really changed the culture along with Adelman. Sabonis changed our culture along with Brown. The play style is different because of what they bring. We still have puzzle pieces to fill for sure, but for once the foundation is level again. I think Sabonis is our Vlade in the modern timeline, maybe not the flashy guy, but the guy that makes it all work.

i don’t see that at all. Doncic would’ve almost surely turned the franchise around almost immediately. That became quickly apparent that even if Bagley had become something, an all star even, it was a devastating move that set the franchise back years and there was definitely denial there.

Kings would still be bad with Haliburton and didn’t have a clear path with him….we got a great player for him who also stuffs the stat sheet with rebounds and assists but apparently it’s worth less even though it makes for a better Kings team. Fox had also been even better than Hali until these last three duds. Ty has 21-14 and it’s you got people in the Tyrese thread moping. Domas drops 28-22-6 or whatever it was. Meh, Domas had his typical good game.

I just think there has been a “grass is always greener” shift with how some people view this trade and Tyrese in particular and if people don’t want to hear about Haliburton it’s because of all that “we lost the trade” based on nothing really. It’s been a constant comparison where only Halliburton’s numbers are evaluated. It’s kinda odd

We no doubt gave up a great talent(and got one, let’s not forget or downplay) but you say Kings fans are in “denial” as if Haliburton is clearly making the Kings eat it beyond what we knew he could do, what we got in return is clearly not performing at equal value. I don’t see that. I just don’t see the basis for denial…what are Kings fans denying? So far the thing is Tyrese is younger and was under team control for a long time. There is nothing on the court.

What Fox does will matter..and obviously if Domas is retained or if the core build of the team is something the Kings can build on going forward will figure greatly into how the trade is evaluated a year or two from now.

Right now, the narrative around the “kings lost the trade” side seems purely emotional because it’s rare when the Kings had to trade a guy the fans actually wanted and was trending upwards. Even rarer that the player goes on to play very well elsewhere. We all liked Hali.
Yeah, I was as sad as anyone when we traded Hali, still am, but you can't deny that Sabonis has been ballin. I'd argue he's been the second best center this year after Joker. His passing is among the best of any big man in the nba and our team becomes significantly worse without him. Hali is a phenomenal talent, but his impact would always be marginalized with Fox. Whether or not we should've been committed to Fox is an entirely different discussion, but for better or worse he was who the front office wanted to build around. With that in mind, this was a necessary trade.

Sadly it's a double edged sword. The kings have also passed on Luka partly because of this same logic.
I believe the Kings passed on Luka primarily because:
a) they believed rather foolishly (probably spearheaded by Brandon Williams) that he was the #1 talent in the draft
b) Vlade did not have the stones to draft a Euro player and deal with the repercussions of getting it wrong
c) Vlade also knew that Luka was a hot head that would get him fired, which is what happened to the coach and GM in Dallas

The fit issue is the one everyone harps on because it's convenient to apply this to every other bad move the organization makes, no matter who is GM, coach, or other. But I believe the 3 factors above were what really drove the call.

Just following up in 1999 we made a million changes (Adelman, Peja finally came, White Chocolate, Vlade, and Webber). Webber got all the accolades but it was Vlade that maybe really changed the culture along with Adelman. Sabonis changed our culture along with Brown. The play style is different because of what they bring. We still have puzzle pieces to fill for sure, but for once the foundation is level again.
I think with more time to build chemistry with Huerter, Keegan and the rest of the guys that Sabonis could average 8 assists a game. He’s already pushing 7. 19 12 and 8 is pretty fantastic and real possibility this year or next season.

I think with more time to build chemistry with Huerter, Keegan and the rest of the guys that Sabonis could average 8 assists a game. He’s already pushing 7. 19 12 and 8 is pretty fantastic and real possibility this year or next season.
I believe that the rate of baskets from assists is way up. It's less important that one player gets high numbers than you have an offense that creates and he is a huge key to that with his handoffs. He would be racking up hockey assists if they kept them.

Plus Buddy had a terrible attitude as soon as he inked his extension.

The sports talk narrative has been Buddy was disliked because of his late game blunders and it’s seems odd that he is likely to be roundly booed. Buddy Blunders actually became so comical and predictable that it was almost endearing..I wouldn’t even get mad about it and when he delivered the Kings a Woss last season in Indiana by an unforced blunder i laughed about it for a good 10 minutes.

…but he was always saying dumb things to signal he thought he was too good to play here and of course there was the smiling and laughing during last seasons curb stomping in Boston which was likely the last straw.

I thought the treatment of Bagley was kinda unfair. Maybe boo him initially but every time he touched the ball was a little harsh. He didn’t draft himself ahead of Luka but Buddy will deserve the boo birds
I would imagine 90% of Bagley's booing is because of his dad. And it is squarely on him for not detaching from his dad that it became that way. Also his dad was at the game and just being a complete heel, so it's obviously still a problem whether or not he is still causing up a storm on social or not.

I believe the Kings passed on Luka primarily because:
a) they believed rather foolishly (probably spearheaded by Brandon Williams) that he was the #1 talent in the draft
b) Vlade did not have the stones to draft a Euro player and deal with the repercussions of getting it wrong
c) Vlade also knew that Luka was a hot head that would get him fired, which is what happened to the coach and GM in Dallas

The fit issue is the one everyone harps on because it's convenient to apply this to every other bad move the organization makes, no matter who is GM, coach, or other. But I believe the 3 factors above were what really drove the call.
It's worse than we thought then. I mean... not drafting someone because of fit is actually more justifiable than reason b and c. Love Vlad, but we underestimated his incompetence as a GM lol.

Last edited:
This is apropos of nothing, really, but aside from your exhaustingly self-satisfied condescension, you rely on some truly limp catch phrases to punctuate takes that aren't as enlightening as you seem to imagine they are.
You obviously didn't TLDR. Did you notice the placement? That's quite enlightening, in a rather non-limp, self-satisfied sorta way.

I would imagine 90% of Bagley's booing is because of his dad. And it is squarely on him for not detaching from his dad that it became that way. Also his dad was at the game and just being a complete heel, so it's obviously still a problem whether or not he is still causing up a storm on social or not.
And we are seeing with his brother that is the whole family.

Status
Not open for further replies.