2022 Everything Free Agency/Trades Thread

Ayton will be a great fit with Hali, however, I would not be paying that salary for a that center that isn’t elite.

I think Jerry's point is to let the market dictate the value of the extension on a restricted free agent, vs. feeling like they are obligated to give them a max deal (or any deal) at the first possible moment. In most cases, I think it ends up just like the Ayton scenario. If you have a restricted free agent that is even remotely in the vicinity of a max, he's likely going to get a max offer on the market. However, in a case like Sexton, the Cavs absolutely made the right choice not defaulting to give him an extension at the first possible moment. He unfortunately got hurt, but even before that he wasn't likely to get another team dying to steal him away.
I get that, but with the way players are look at the chaos it can cause. The Suns put Ayton through all that mess and now they have him back and he's got a not so happy feeling inside. The Suns matched so he's not going to Indy. I think that's a better way to look at restricted FA, post rookie max. With a rookie max, you either live with it, or move on before the deal expires. Like the Kings should have with Marvin. I do think it depends on the player though. For players like Fox and Ayton you just do it and don't look back. For players like Sexton, an undersized combo when healthy, maybe you blink and yeah, injuries were a thing for him obviously. They never really looked to be building around him at his peak either so their value of him certainly differed.

Sounds like both KZ and Chima’s contracts are both vet minimum deals. So we still have the spare change from Monk’s MLE left over and the BAE. Unless an unexpected guy at the 3 comes available, or we make a trade that leaves a hole somewhere depth wise, I don’t really see us using the BAE this year. The rest of MLE likely will be used on a third PG or possibly even another vet minimum contract.

Sounds like both KZ and Chima’s contracts are both vet minimum deals. So we still have the spare change from Monk’s MLE left over and the BAE. Unless an unexpected guy at the 3 comes available, or we make a trade that leaves a hole somewhere depth wise, I don’t really see us using the BAE this year. The rest of MLE likely will be used on a third PG or possibly even another vet minimum contract.
Spotrac shows our roster at 15 including KZ 2 yr deal. It does not show a Chima signing. I thought I saw that it may be an exhibit 10 deal or maybe some kind of training camp deal where he will compete for the 16th spot in camp?

" Australian basketball reporter Michael Houben later reported that it was a 2-year, partially guaranteed contract."

Still room for 3rd PG, but my guess that will come at end of FA or during camp when teams cut down their roster

Last edited:
Yea I found little of anything in regards to Chima, so I just assumed the minimum. With the Spurs in full tank I wonder what it would take to pull Josh Richardson away from them. Above average defender with good length who has a shot and some handles. The obvious trade piece is Barnes but why would the Spurs want him when both Barnes and Richardson are on expiring contracts. Keeping both Richardson and Barnes along with Fox, Mitchell, Monk, Huerter, Murray, Sabonis, Holmes gives us an incredibly deep 9 with TD and Lyles as first reserves. Probably not very realistic but seeing the Spurs willing to sell off pieces who could help us is tempting.

I get that, but with the way players are look at the chaos it can cause. The Suns put Ayton through all that mess and now they have him back and he's got a not so happy feeling inside. The Suns matched so he's not going to Indy. I think that's a better way to look at restricted FA, post rookie max. With a rookie max, you either live with it, or move on before the deal expires. Like the Kings should have with Marvin. I do think it depends on the player though. For players like Fox and Ayton you just do it and don't look back. For players like Sexton, an undersized combo when healthy, maybe you blink and yeah, injuries were a thing for him obviously. They never really looked to be building around him at his peak either so their value of him certainly differed.
Yeah I don’t disagree. The suns royally screwed all of this up in my opinion. Would have been better to have just signed ayton originally so they have the asset, can use him in the short term goal of winning a championship and then flipped him later for value later if they really didn’t think he was worth the long term money. What’s clear from all of this in my opinion, is that the suns are a prime example of how luck really does contribute heavily to championship contending teams. They have made a handful of good decisions, but have done a whole boatfull are tremendously dumb things along the way. They are a really weirdly run organization that has lucked into their current situation in my opinion.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Spotrac shows our roster at 15 including KZ 2 yr deal. It does not show a Chima signing. I thought I saw that it may be an exhibit 10 deal or maybe some kind of training camp deal where he will compete for the 16th spot in camp?

" Australian basketball reporter Michael Houben later reported that it was a 2-year, partially guaranteed contract."

Still room for 3rd PG, but my guess that will come at end of FA or during camp when teams cut down their roster
They are probably showing Queta and Ellis as being on the 15-man roster, but as Two-Way deals, those guys don't count against our 15. Counting Okpala and Moneke we should have 14 players on the 15-man right now (wing positions kinda flexible):

Fox/Mitchell
Monk/Davis/Moneke
Barnes/Huerter/Okpala
Murray/Lyles/Metu
Sabonis/Holmes/Len

Two-Way: Queta/Ellis

Since we don't know anything about the Okpala/Moneke contracts, they may indeed be training camp deals, and partially or fully unguaranteed. Okpala can't be Exhibit 10 because he already has three years of NBA service. Moneke would seem unlikely to go for an Exhibit 10 since he is plenty comfortable playing in foreign leagues (MVP!) so why would he risk being assigned to the G-League?

They are probably showing Queta and Ellis as being on the 15-man roster, but as Two-Way deals, those guys don't count against our 15. Counting Okpala and Moneke we should have 14 players on the 15-man right now (wing positions kinda flexible):

Fox/Mitchell
Monk/Davis/Moneke
Barnes/Huerter/Okpala
Murray/Lyles/Metu
Sabonis/Holmes/Len

Two-Way: Queta/Ellis

Since we don't know anything about the Okpala/Moneke contracts, they may indeed be training camp deals, and partially or fully unguaranteed. Okpala can't be Exhibit 10 because he already has three years of NBA service. Moneke would seem unlikely to go for an Exhibit 10 since he is plenty comfortable playing in foreign leagues (MVP!) so why would he risk being assigned to the G-League?
I think Huerter is going to start at the 2 position. With Domas not being a rim protector - having length across all the wings is a good way to compensate. 6’7; 6’8” and 6”8 will allow for a ton of switching and make us a better rebounding team.

I could see Monk and Davion and TD being a killer 3-guard bench lineup with Holmes and one of the new defensive wings.

Not sure that Barnes, TD and Holmes will be on the roster by training camp.

Should be interesting. Coach Brown has a lot of decisions to make and a lot of mouths to feed.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I think Huerter is going to start at the 2 position. With Domas not being a rim protector - having length across all the wings is a good way to compensate. 6’7; 6’8” and 6”8 will allow for a ton of switching and make us a better rebounding team.

I could see Monk and Davion and TD being a killer 3-guard bench lineup with Holmes and one of the new defensive wings.

Should be interesting. Coach Brown has a lot of decisions to make and a lot of mouths to feed.
Well, as I said, wing positions flexible. The roster chart and the depth chart are different things, and whether it’s Monk or Huerter starting doesn’t matter much. I figure the following 8 players are solidly in the rotation:

Fox
Mitchell
Monk
Huerter
Barnes
Murray
Sabonis
Holmes

The rest of the rotation is kind of up for grabs. With the way the coaching staff has been talking up Barnes and Holmes, Barnes especially, I wouldn’t expect a trade there.

yeah I agree Huerter will play the two. He doesn’t have a plus wingspan which limits his defensive potential against larger wings.

yeah I agree Huerter will play the two. He doesn’t have a plus wingspan which limits his defensive potential against larger wings.
If there aren't further roster moves (and I have to think McNair is looking to move Barnes and/or Holmes before the seasons starts) I would think that the starting 5 would be

Sabonis
Murray
Barnes
Huerter
Fox

If Brown goes with a nine man rotation I think you'll see Mitchell, Monk, Holmes and either Lyles or Davis depending on matchups.

I would guess that Monk is the first player off the bench and will often sub for either Barnes or Murray with Huerter sliding to the 3 for stretches.