2022 Everything Free Agency/Trades Thread

It is a good potential lineup, but there is still a lot of work to do. That lineup will get overrun on the wings this year, as things stand. Now I get there is a lot of potential for Smith, Duarte, and Mathurin to develop, and if they do, then you are working with something. But that wing lineup is purely potential. We don't really know that Smith, Duarte, or Mathurin are eventually going to be rotation level guys on a playoff team.

I mean it is the same for Murray as well. Just pointing out that that lineup is (currently) an embarrassment on the wings, and would lose a lot of games this year.
It's not a bad start for a rebuilding team. Can't just get a complete team in a season and a half of trades/drafting.

They're built a bit lopsided like us. Lots of offensive potential but not much defensively.

Yeah Sarver may be a cheapskate, but PHX fans would absolutely riot if he let him walk for nothing.

Good swing from Indy though.
Jerry Reynolds has been adamant on his podcast that more teams should operate this way rather than doing the early extensions (at least in prove-it cases for players like Fox and Ayton who still had warts at extension time) since money is money. And there might be something to it since you just match and are still giving the guy $100mm+. In 4 years is Ayton gonna base FA on what just happened or is it gonna be about if the Suns are winning rings or circling the drain? It’s against the “norms” right now and might pee off agents I guess but from a strictly practical point I can see why you just wait vs an early extension that’s giving up a ton of options and benefits that RFA gives a team

Jerry Reynolds has been adamant on his podcast that more teams should operate this way rather than doing the early extensions (at least in prove-it cases for players like Fox and Ayton who still had warts at extension time) since money is money. And there might be something to it since you just match and are still giving the guy $100mm+. In 4 years is Ayton gonna base FA on what just happened or is it gonna be about if the Suns are winning rings or circling the drain? It’s against the “norms” right now and might pee off agents I guess but from a strictly practical point I can see why you just wait vs an early extension that’s giving up a ton of options and benefits that RFA gives a team
Couldn't disagree more with Jerry. If the cap keeps doing what it does, it only makes deals signed by players like Fox and probably Ayton if he's getting a bigger role look so much better. Rookie maxes tend to look better and better as time goes on unless that talent is turd worthy.

Couldn't disagree more with Jerry. If the cap keeps doing what it does, it only makes deals signed by players like Fox and probably Ayton if he's getting a bigger role look so much better. Rookie maxes tend to look better and better as time goes on unless that talent is turd worthy.
Ah I didn’t take into consideration that the value of each calendar year goes up with cap rising so player salary in 2023 is higher if signed in 2022 vs 2021?

OTOH Ayton was reportedly eligible for $172mm up to $207mm for 5 years while the Suns just got him for 4 years $133mm. Maybe the other Capt or someone else smarter than me can say whether matching the Pacers’ QO saved them money compared to what they would’ve given Ayton on a rookie max extension

Ah I didn’t take into consideration that the value of each calendar year goes up with cap rising so player salary in 2023 is higher if signed in 2022 vs 2021?

OTOH Ayton was reportedly eligible for $172mm up to $207mm for 5 years while the Suns just got him for 4 years $133mm. Maybe the other Capt or someone else smarter than me can say whether matching the Pacers’ QO saved them money compared to what they would’ve given Ayton on a rookie max extension
But they may have just ruined there relationship.

What's your thoughts on that part?

"When I was there, it wasn't as bad as everyone says it is; I think there were trying to figure things out this past season," DiVincenzo said.

"They made a really good decision in coach [Mike] Brown, and the staff he's brought on top to bottom so far has been really helpful, and like I said it was as bad when I joined, and it will only get better for years to come."

Sacramento hired former Warriors assistant coach Mike Brown in May, adding the championship pedigree he built with Golden State, looking to change the culture of a struggling franchise looking to once again compete in the Western Conference.

RELATED: FAN PLACES K BET ON KINGS TO WIN 2023 NBA FINALS THAT WOULD PAY .5M

Brown will have some young building blocks to lay the foundation for a winning culture with star guard De'Aaron Fox, second-year guard Davion Mitchell and 2022 No. 4 overall pick Keegan Murray, who look to turn the franchise around.

"I got the vibe and everything that he's going to be an amazing fit there, even in the short time I was out there," DiVincenzo said. "He just commands so much attention and respect from everybody that he was talking to, and I think he's going to do nothing but great things over there."

"When I was there, it wasn't as bad as everyone says it is; I think there were trying to figure things out this past season," DiVincenzo said.

"They made a really good decision in coach [Mike] Brown, and the staff he's brought on top to bottom so far has been really helpful, and like I said it was as bad when I joined, and it will only get better for years to come."

Sacramento hired former Warriors assistant coach Mike Brown in May, adding the championship pedigree he built with Golden State, looking to change the culture of a struggling franchise looking to once again compete in the Western Conference.

Brown will have some young building blocks to lay the foundation for a winning culture with star guard De'Aaron Fox, second-year guard Davion Mitchell and 2022 No. 4 overall pick Keegan Murray, who look to turn the franchise around.

"I got the vibe and everything that he's going to be an amazing fit there, even in the short time I was out there," DiVincenzo said. "He just commands so much attention and respect from everybody that he was talking to, and I think he's going to do nothing but great things over there."
This sounds a lot like someone who asked to leave and was allowed to...

Last edited:

I hear a class act. No nonsense like "they put me in a corner so I couldn't play my game" crap.

I hear a class act. No nonsense like "they put me in a corner so I couldn't play my game" crap.
That’s what I’m getting out of this. I owe DDV an apology, I was under the impression dude wanted out and wanted nothing to do with the Kings. Seems like a great guy, I’m happy he’s landed in a good situation and I hope he thrives with the warriors. No need in crying over spilt milk though, we let him walk for reasons unknown to us and added Huerter and Monk. I hope all parties involved gain success from this.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
When CP3 retires, that suns team may be screwed. Booker is not a leader and that team was awful before Chris Paul saved the day
I don't think that's entirely true - they went undefeated in the covid bubble and didn't CP3 join the following year? Ayton was suspended a large chunk of time prior to the bubble too. They were a sleeper waiting to happen. If the Kings turn around a lot of people will say "oh Fox and Ox played really nice and then got shut down to get a high pick" - nobody will remember we were at 5 and fell all the way to 7th if things swing our way.

Ayton will be a great fit with Hali, however, I would not be paying that salary for a that center that isn’t elite.
I think Jerry's point is to let the market dictate the value of the extension on a restricted free agent, vs. feeling like they are obligated to give them a max deal (or any deal) at the first possible moment. In most cases, I think it ends up just like the Ayton scenario. If you have a restricted free agent that is even remotely in the vicinity of a max, he's likely going to get a max offer on the market. However, in a case like Sexton, the Cavs absolutely made the right choice not defaulting to give him an extension at the first possible moment. He unfortunately got hurt, but even before that he wasn't likely to get another team dying to steal him away.