[Game] Kings vs. Thunder [Vegas Summer League] 7/13/2022 5pm Pacific, 8pm Eastern (NBATV)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess your definition of dawg is a guy who is absolutely not afraid to Jack up shots at the expense of the rest of his team and has worse advanced metrics than Kemba Walker (from last year when he was unplayable bad and not from when he was actually good)?
Kobe jacked up so many shots at the expense of the team it's rediculous. Double triple team. It didn't make a bit of a difference. He knew he was the best. Win or lose it wasn't gonna be because he passed the shot up. We need a alfa out there. That's the dawg I'm talking about. Tell me about how much I hate when fox passes it to Barnes for last shot

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Kobe jacked up so many shots at the expense of the team it's rediculous. Double triple team. It didn't make a bit of a difference. He knew he was the best. Win or lose it wasn't gonna be because he passed the shot up. We need a alfa out there. That's the dawg I'm talking about. Tell me about how much I hate when fox passes it to Barnes for last shot
Buddy Hield also did this. Being a ball hog doesn’t immediately make someone Kobe.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
We’re right there with them making claims like “Every one of them take Keegan for RJ” lol

Dudes had a killer summer league. He’s blown my expectations out of the water. But the hyperdrive I’m seeing around is getting silly.
Well, we aren't ever going to trade Keegan for RJ because that's not something our team's going to do.

Meanwhile, Knicks fans are busy concocting Donovan trade ideas like Obi + Fournier + a protected second for Donovan Mitchell.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
So is the pessimism.

Why can’t things be allowed to play out a bit before anyone draws conclusions?
I’ll agree with the raging pessimism before seeing him play. Now the most pessimistic takes I’m seeing is “Effective role player” and is that really that ragingly pessimistic all things considered?

We’re right there with them making claims like “Every one of them take Keegan for RJ” lol

Dudes had a killer summer league. But the hyperdrive is getting silly.
I see what you are saying but I don’t think it’s crazy to say Keegan could end up being the better player in the end. We just don’t know. If you are trading potential with Keegan I think it would have to be for more of a sure thing.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
I see what you are saying but I don’t think it’s crazy to say Keegan could end up being the better player in the end. We just don’t know. If you are trading potential with Keegan I think it would have to be for more of a sure thing.
Potential for potential. RJs the same age despite being in the league for awhile, and despite inneffiency is very much still on the up and up.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Potential for potential. RJs the same age despite being in the league for awhile, and despite inneffiency is very much still on the up and up.
Meh, I think RJ's a good young player but he also gets that same "struggling big market team needs a star so we'll make this guy one" energy that Lonzo got in LA. Dude's good but he's not "Don't trade him for a proven multiple time all-star!" good.

Like if Celtics called up and offered Jaylen Brown for Keegan or RJ, I'm still taking that trade before Brad Steven hangs up the phone. Knicks fans would probably ask the Celtics to throw in Tatum before they'd consider it.

If he isn't extended by December then something really went wrong. But the pick ups of Monk, Huerter, and Murray, along with the trade of Haliburton for Sabonis and hiring of defensive guru Mike Brown, indicate Monte actually has a plan, and on paper that plan looks solid.

I'm cautiously optimistic. But it's hard not to get excited about it.
Anjali says hi from Stockton.

Murray looks good. My question is he better right now than lyles and metu? Swap lyles or metu in for Keegan in this summer league are they putting same, better, or worse numbers?
What? Metu's not even close...

this SL team has a lot of bad 3pt shooters if u swapped Metu teams would be able to drown out of offense much easier due to lack of spacing..

Metu shot 30% from 3 last season in 3 attempts per and is a 3rd stringer on any decent team...

In the event Murray starts the season on the bench, and I for one can't see a reason why that'd be, it wouldnt be because Lyles or Metu is better, it'd be because the staff is being overly cautious.. the premise of this quesiton is absurd..

What? Metu's not even close...

this SL team has a lot of bad 3pt shooters if u swapped Metu teams would be able to drown out of offense much easier due to lack of spacing..

Metu shot 30% from 3 last season in 3 attempts per and is a 3rd stringer on any decent team...

In the event Murray starts the season on the bench, and I for one can't see a reason why that'd be, it wouldnt be because Lyles or Metu is better, it'd be because the staff is being overly cautious.. the premise of this quesiton is absurd..
I think it would be more about the coaching staff playing him at 3 or 4. At 4, he is behind Barnes. At 3, they might give a nod to Heurter, but he might get the call too. So, it wouldn't surprise me to see him come off the bench in either case.

Dudes had a killer summer league. He’s blown my expectations out of the water. But the hyperdrive I’m seeing around is getting silly.
Booo.

You know damn well you, Rob and KB02 would be moaning and groaning if Murray were struggling in SL and about how we screwed up the pick and passed on Ivey/Daniels, etc. Hell, you've been looking for an excuse from the first game to not like Murray. There's literally 0% chance you'd have the same "Well it's just SL, none of it really matters" take.

Our guy was the best player in SL. That's okay to be excited about and have fun with. He still has to show it when the minutes count. Being the debbie downer "WeLl ItS JuSt SuMmEr LeAuGe" guy is just lazy.

Yeah, I was all for acquiring RJ when it was a trade down deal that included New York’s pick and before we saw that Keegan’s skills 100% translated to the league or when we were talking about blowing up the team at the trade deadline.

I would absolutely not trade Keegan for RJ straight up now.
RJ is losing player. @ESP47 brings this up all the time, but he just hasn't gotten better in 3 years and his analytics are horrible. He's very much following that Andrew Wiggins trajectory where he's just plainly miscast as a lead option when he isn't one.

It'd be one thing if he were still on his rookie contract, but he's about to get a max or near max extension after next season. No thanks.

With all due respect, this RJ Barrett conversation is complete nonsense... Barrett is eligible for a massive extension, trading for him would give him all the leverage to hold the Kings hostage for max money...

compared to a player locked into a reasonable restricted rookie deal...

y'all are talking apples and oranges here...

Thank you. A man with some sense
Thinly veiled code for, “a dude that agrees with me“. While completely ignoring the possibility that both of you share poor sense.

Booo.

You know damn well you, Rob and KB02 would be moaning and groaning if Murray were struggling in SL and about how we screwed up the pick and passed on Ivey/Daniels, etc. Hell, you've been looking for an excuse from the first game to not like Murray. There's literally 0% chance you'd have the same "Well it's just SL, none of it really matters" take.

Our guy was the best player in SL. That's okay to be excited about and have fun with. He still has to show it when the minutes count. Being the debbie downer "WeLl ItS JuSt SuMmEr LeAuGe" guy is just lazy.
^^THIS x100.

We’ve seen it here at KF summer after summer. The instant gratification generation losing their collective minds over SL.

Much of the time it’s been one of our draft picks not looking so good. And that player is immediately declared a bust. Seemingly by much of the same crowd that is underselling Keegan’s performance now.

Must be nice to always have things both ways!

While some of these people tend to be reasonable and knowledgeable much of the time, it’s getting the point where it’s getting harder and harder to take some of them seriously anymore. Mainly due to lack of consistent arguments/POV’s.

I think it would be more about the coaching staff playing him at 3 or 4. At 4, he is behind Barnes. At 3, they might give a nod to Heurter, but he might get the call too. So, it wouldn't surprise me to see him come off the bench in either case.
This is something that keeps getting repeated and it frankly doesnt make sense.. It's completely based in panicked counter-intuitive, rush-to-judgement, lacking-context logic... Allow me to give it a thorough debunking...

why does it have to be one or the other? this isnt football where you need to lineup at the right spot before the play and declare being an eligible receiver or you could get called for illegal formations...

Did we not just see the Warriors win the CHAMPIONSHIP with Wiggins, Porter and Green starting? Or did that happen in an alternate reality? Wasnt the Coach we just hired part of that very staff that trusted in that lineup?

Murray CAN guard 3's.... does anyone here doubt that? Plus putting him there defensively out on the perimeter so he can jump the passing lanes and leak out on the break makes a lot of sense....

Barnes is stronger and can handle more of the 4's as he has a ton of experience in the NBA vs Starters.. Gold medalist, NBA champion.

The whole idea of "Barnes is a 4 and Murray is a 4" that so many have their hearts set on around here, is fantasy.

You here this crap repeated ad naseum but you dont hear anyone say this "Murray cant guard 3's"... So their big concern is INVALID... They dont even believe the nonsense they are spewing, it's like a concern about a big "what if" in their minds.. there's no real conviction here.. No one here says "if they play Murray at anything but PF he's going to be an Anthony Bennett style bust!"

So if Murray can guard 3's.. then the big issue you guys seem to be having is "we have 2 PF's on offense"... Which is similar levels of preposterous, where does that leave the kings? its like dancing with 2 left feet? why would you be convinced that holds any weight at-all?! I don't get it... we're not talking about Karl Malone style PF's who need this particular space on the block. These guys move around, they are 2 of the very best 3pt shooters on the team..They work well together IMO u use them to space the floor n open up the lanes for Fox and Monk to penetrate..

And another level of why it's invalid, this PIGEON-HOLING of the positions, exists in a vacuum, not in the reality of the Kings current roster construction.... It's people who read pre-draft scouting reports(or heard them 2nd hand) who say "KM doesnt have the playmaking skills for the 3" but when you look at the Kings roster, we have Playmaker ssetup all over the floor, from 1-5 with Fox and Sabonis... The ball movement should be whipping around, have you not see these guys play?

It's like theres posters around here who actually believe the offense will come to a screeching halt if Murray is at the SF spot.. Seems like Chicken Little type of nonsense to me..

I get that people are unhappy they didnt get the player they wanted, in Jaden Ivey, but these criticisms are truly feeble attempts at trying to squeeze blood from a stone, and lacking in the greater context of how things will work for the team..

Murray and Barnes are not REDUNDANT, they can play next to each other.. Sure there will be matchups that favor the other team sometimes --- but ANYONE they'd get that would be the case...

There's no way that Huerter is a better defender of SF's than Murray is.. It's just a lame duck argument being made over n over.

Last edited:

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Booo.

The heck are you even talking about? Ya, I wanted someone else but I’m going out of my way to prop Murray, admitting he’s blowing my expectations away, and noting that I don’t actively dislike this guy like the other top draftee in our recent past. Sure, I’m not shouting the hyperbole from the rooftops yet, doesn’t mean I’m not hype.

That said it doesn’t matter who we drafted, Ivey/Keegan/Other 6 summer league games doesn’t make someone some near untouchable prodigy. We’re not there yet.

Last edited:
This is something that keeps getting repeated and it frankly doesnt make sense.. It's completely based in panicked counter-intuitive, rush-to-judgement, lacking-context logic... Allow me to give it a thorough debunking...

why does it have to be one or the other? this isnt football where you need to lineup at the right spot before the play and declare being an eligible receiver or you could get called for illegal formations...

Did we not just see the Warriors win the CHAMPIONSHIP with Wiggins, Porter and Green starting? Or did that happen in an alternate reality? Wasnt the Coach we just hired part of that very staff that trusted in that lineup?

Murray CAN guard 3's.... does anyone here doubt that? Plus putting him there defensively out on the perimeter so he can jump the passing lanes and leak out on the break makes a lot of sense....

Barnes is stronger and can handle more of the 4's as he has a ton of experience in the NBA vs Starters.. Gold medalist, NBA champion.

The whole idea of "Barnes is a 4 and Murray is a 4" that so many have their hearts set on around here, is fantasy.

You here this crap repeated ad naseum but you dont hear anyone say this "Murray cant guard 3's"... So their big concern is INVALID... They dont even believe the nonsense they are spewing, it's like a concern about a big "what if" in their minds.. there's no real conviction here.. No one here says "if they play Murray at anything but PF he's going to be an Anthony Bennett style bust!"

So if Murray can guard 3's.. then the big issue you guys seem to be having is "we have 2 PF's on offense"... Which is similar levels of preposterous, where does that leave the kings? its like dancing with 2 left feet? why would you be convinced that holds any weight at-all?! I don't get it... we're not talking about Karl Malone style PF's who need this particular space on the block. These guys move around, they are 2 of the very best 3pt shooters on the team..They work well together IMO u use them to space the floor n open up the lanes for Fox and Monk to penetrate..

And another level of why it's invalid, this PIGEON-HOLING of the positions, exists in a vacuum, not in the reality of the Kings current roster construction.... It's people who read pre-draft scouting reports(or heard them 2nd hand) who say "KM doesnt have the playmaking skills for the 3" but when you look at the Kings roster, we have Playmaker ssetup all over the floor, from 1-5 with Fox and Sabonis... The ball movement should be whipping around, have you not see these guys play?

It's like theres posters around here who actually believe the offense will come to a screeching halt if Murray is at the SF spot.. Seems like Chicken Little type of nonsense to me..

I get that people are unhappy they didnt get the player they wanted, in Jaden Ivey, but these criticisms are truly feeble attempts at trying to squeeze blood from a stone, and lacking in the greater context of how things will work for the team..

Murray and Barnes are not REDUNDANT, they can play next to each other.. Sure there will be matchups that favor the other team sometimes --- but ANYONE they'd get that would be the case...

There's no way that Huerter is a better defender of SF's than Murray is.. It's just a lame duck argument being made over n over.
Calm down.

I know very little of BB, and am not making any expert comments. And Ivey was certainly not my favorite guy. In fact, I specifically said that unless the FO thinks Ivey is in a different tier, they should go with Keegan, even if they feel Ivey is slightly better, as fit is important too.

My comments are more as a fan, along with the observation that Barnes has played better at 4, and as of now at least, Keegan should play behind him if he plays that position. As for the 3, if the coaching staff feels he is our best option, well start him. In either case, relax a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.