[Game] Kings vs. Thunder [Vegas Summer League] 7/13/2022 5pm Pacific, 8pm Eastern (NBATV)

Status
Not open for further replies.
See? Sometimes this is the issue of only projecting intangibles. Replace "Chet" from the above sentence with "Mo Bamba", I'm sure that same sentence was said 100 times in his draft too.
That's true, but I was a fan of Bamba and a bigger fan of Chet. We never, ever saw the kind of defensive potential from Bamba that we have out of Chet. We just saw it in fact, he didn't have a great game but his presence on the interior late sealed it. If he gets entirely acclimated to the physicality of the NBA and gets more stamina to defend pick and rolls it's over. His impact on winning could be astronomical.

Now you're mixing things up. Focus on the discussion.

All I said was it can be dangerous to only scout for intangibles just because someone has the physical attributes to be elite at certain things, that doesn't mean it is now a fact that he will fulfill such premise.
Also dangerous to assume what others look for. I would’ve taken Haliburton #1 in his draft. If u search far enough, I was the first to mention him on this board. It certainly wasn’t because of his physical attributes.

That's true, but I was a fan of Bamba and a bigger fan of Chet. We never, ever saw the kind of defensive potential from Bamba that we have out of Chet. We just saw it in fact, he didn't have a great game but his presence on the interior late sealed it. If he gets entirely acclimated to the physicality of the NBA and gets more stamina to defend pick and rolls it's over. His impact on winning could be astronomical.
Yeah to be fair, Chet will more than likely be a big presence defensively, to say the least. He has great footwork for someone his size and we were marveling at Queta. Chet could ballet dance around Queta haha

I just find it funny how often we almost intentionally ignore the facts we see and try so hard to chase the intangibles. Especially now looking at Murray, you can't tell me he wasn't putting up the best numbers in his final college year among everyone drafted around him. Yet the big P word, "Potential" is so overwhelmingly important and I think that is why NBA drafts are so hit or miss these days.

Also dangerous to assume what others look for. I would’ve taken Haliburton #1 in his draft. If u search far enough, I was the first to mention him on this board. It certainly wasn’t because of his physical attributes.
Well again, great going, sir.

I was mostly speaking on the NBA scouts in general and how much more they seem to lean on potential over actual abilities.

The best ability is availability.

I got more value from the plays where a current NBA quality defender went up against him. The times that Jalen Williams guarded him, he had difficulty scoring against him. Williams has a pro body n legit wing length. Murray was able to bully Chet, so there just wasn’t much value from that match up. How many dudes in the NBA are as skinny as Chet? Now if Chet puts on good weight, in three years, he’s an elite defender. Big if though, but that combination of mobility n length n skill is rare.

The off the ball movement n shooting for Murray will translate. As well as his IQ on rebounds.

The ball creation is still an issue. He tends to over dribble n expose the ball when facing up. Even on that drive n score on #25, who is an undersized 4, Murrary crossed the ball on him twice on the same play. Fox never crosses the ball on his drives. But Murray n his lack of explosion is going to morph into Harden and do that in the nba?
Ok but I do think I this draft we got our pick right and he clearly is a great player and someone to easily root for,I've got my Keegan Murray jersey already ordered and be honest are you impressed are not with his play.Id your not I respect your opinion but I know I am more than impressed with his play.I know summer league but I've seen some bad summer league play from some of our previous picks and you can just tell that Keegan is different...

Ok but I do think I this draft we got our pick right and he clearly is a great player and someone to easily root for,I've got my Keegan Murray jersey already ordered and be honest are you impressed are not with his play.Id your not I respect your opinion but I know I am more than impressed with his play.I know summer league but I've seen some bad summer league play from some of our previous picks and you can just tell that Keegan is different...
The reality of the situation is a lot of top picks have good games, and they have bad games.

Keegan had ONE bad game and it was his first ever B2B. Dude made adjustments after that and was solid to spectacular after, and mainly while going up against picks higher than himself.

If nothing else, THAT is eye opening.

Monte didn't get this one wrong, even if he ends up as the 5th best player from this draft he isn't getting worse than what he is which means the 4 others got really damn good.

The reality of the situation is a lot of top picks have good games, and they have bad games.

Keegan had ONE bad game and it was his first ever B2B. Dude made adjustments after that and was solid to spectacular after, and mainly while going up against picks higher than himself.

If nothing else, THAT is eye opening.

Monte didn't get this one wrong, even if he ends up as the 5th best player from this draft he isn't getting worse than what he is which means the 4 others got really damn good.
We need to extend Monte he has done great on picks and he is doing what he can trying to improve roster

You were also the first to say that Keegan getting 8/5 in the first quarter of his first game was “Bare Minimum.” Still the only guy that thinks 32/20 over a whole game is Bare Minimum.

I mean Keegan almost single handedly won the game vs a team starting 3 FRP this season, including 3 in the top 12, the 34th overall pick, had a 2nd year FRP PG in Mann, a 2nd year wing in Wiggins who played 1200 minutes last season. This was his best offensive game and showed a real diverse scoring skill-set getting to the line and by far his best self-creation game of SL. Was super active in the defensive passing lanes, had like 3 or 4 break-away opportunities. Chet could not hang with him on the perimeter at all, just blew by him like 3 times for an easy attempt at the rim.

Can't ask for a better start from your star rookie being SL MVP (IDC who actually wins it, Keegan has run laps around everyone). Let's get to training camp.

We need to extend Monte he has done great on picks and he is doing what he can trying to improve roster
If he isn't extended by December then something really went wrong. But the pick ups of Monk, Huerter, and Murray, along with the trade of Haliburton for Sabonis and hiring of defensive guru Mike Brown, indicate Monte actually has a plan, and on paper that plan looks solid.

I'm cautiously optimistic. But it's hard not to get excited about it.

Speaking of which, Mann was the only OKC guy who really popped. Chet had few super nice drives from the perimeter and creation opportunities, but he really struggled on the interior offensively. Kept getting pushed off his spots, couldn't finish. Nothing super unexpected with him, the talent is extraordinary, but he's going to have to fill out over the next few years and hang with NBA bigs to fulfill that potential.

The big man Jaylin Williams was pretty underwhelming. Held strong on a few Queta post-ups, but didn't stand out outside of that. He looks like he needs time in the G-League.

-Jalen Williams/Dieng both looked ok. You see the tools/wing-span but neither guy had too big of an impact on either end. Dieng needs time while Jalen should be a pretty good contributor on the defensive end early in his career.

One thing I like a lot about Keegan is he doesn’t seem to really look for his own shot til the second half. Gets a lot of points but didn’t call his own number til later in the 3rd and going into the 4th. Something a lot of top tier players and stars do

Chet wasn't a scoring monster in college either so I don't know why people are expecting it out of him just a few months after the college season.

He didn't have a good game but I thought he was pretty effective out there. Fairly mistake free and drove by Keegan basically every time he tried. Has a nice drive and kick and affects shots pretty clearly without having to get blocks. He showed a lot of weaknesses but still had an imprint on the game despite that.

Keegan continues to impress. More of the same with more inside work this time, which led to his highest scoring output. He's as efficient as it gets for a SL player. 3pt shot wasn't falling and he was still extremely efficient. Great finisher inside. Basically doing exactly what he did in college but against more talented players this time. Curious to see how the skills translate to the NBA.

Will need to work on his perimeter defense. I think he's going to have issues in the NBA keeping guys from blowing by him. He made up for it with a handful of steals this game but he really needs to work on his reaction time on the perimeter.

Status
Not open for further replies.