2022 Summer League Open Thread (non-Kings games)

I think Hampton is hot garbage as well. And I can’t see him getting much burn on the Magic with the other young guards they have locked up. His upside needs to go to the G-League.
Hot garbage?

How many games have you seen him play ? be honest. Am I supposed to belive you watch a lot of NBL and Magic games?

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I think Hampton is hot garbage as well. And I can’t see him getting much burn on the Magic with the other young guards they have locked up. His upside needs to go to the G-League.
I can’t see them keeping Cole Anthony past the trade deadline and Fultz is another good trade chip for them. Suggs is an ideal off-ball compliment to Paolo if he ever rediscovers his shot. I agree RJ needs all the playing time he can get but he’s not burnt toast as a prospect.

Jabari Walker was sensational off the bench tonight for Portland! Good for him. 16 and 11 boards in 26 minutes off the bench 6/8 from the field 2/3 from 3. good stuff. Trailblazers might have found a gem in the bottom of the 2nd round.

Always thought it was preposterous how ESPN had him ranked outside of the top60 for pretty much the entire season + draft process.

this is why I love having the 4 screen battlestation.. still 2 more games yet to tip off.. love this time of year.. but me having 4 screens; usually i have one for work/photoshop [I'm in the animation industry] one with something to read and 2 with streams movies or games on. Thats why I find it very difficult to believe some people have seen some of these young players extensively, cuz many of them I have, and it takes quite a bit of a juggling act that i dont think many have the time/attention span or energy to pull off..

Kambengele, even though he's gotta be like 25 now, stuffed the stat sheet vs Wiseman and the Warriors..

Moody and Kuminga looked good out there.. Kuminga is pretty much unstoppable on the break. Warriors will be very fun to watch this season.

Last edited:
Olivier Sarr whos scoring all the points for the Suns at the start of this game has a little brother Alexandre whos 6'11" and figures to be a 1st rd pick in 2024

flawless start to the game for the clippers 2nd rd pick Moussa Diabate, buncha rebounds hit all his shots and even a 3..

Michigan was such a bizarre team to watch in college last season, how they underperformed so much.. Juwan Howard even smacked an opposing coach at one point.. Both of their 5star players were projected outside of 2nd rd range for most of the process by ESPN.. Good to see them in new situations, that one got stale super quick..

on the flipside of that, Shaq's son Shareef.. I wonder whats gonna happen with him.. I guess he's G-League bound..

I know it was said that Shaq wanted him to stay in school. He had some heart condition that kept him out, n you figured he would've finally had some normalcy next season but decided to keep his name in the draft n forgo his college eligibility.. GL to him.

Tyson Carter looks great off the bench for the Suns! He's gotta be like 24 these days but was always a solid sleeper on those Mississippi St. teams.. I'm a big fan of his 6'4" combo guard whos skinny but explosive and can actually do a bit of everything..

they're demolishing the Mavs in this first half... total beatdown

Jaden Hardy 1/6 from the field for the Mavs, 0/3 from 3 so far, 0 ast /1 turnover....

Jaden Hardy looks SO BAD..I mean, I feel bad, his confidence has to be wounded... I know people complain about the 2nd rd picks getting traded but it's hard for me to beleive if they took him at 37 that those same people who complained wouldnt be complaining about his play in the summer league..

His playstyle is 'the ship will sink or swim on my back', and its too easy at this level to stifle his whole predictable plan.. this was exposed in the g-league last szn..

He's got many issues but one that really sticks out is he's not even drawing FTA's... So he just looks like a real chucker and also black hole.. 3 turnovers... It's SUPER UGLY... The Mavs struggled to break double digits in that 2nd quarter..

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Wait... so Banchero shoots 6 for 15 against us in Summer League, 0 for 1 on threes, gets bailed out with over a dozen free throws, and nearly racks up double digit turnovers and people are already talking about him as an immediate star? Okay. That game was a confirmation of all the reasons I'm glad he didn't end up on the Kings. Sloppy, inefficient, hero ball might fool casual NBA fans but I would hope that the diehards sticking around to watch Summer League games would know better.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Wait... so Banchero shoots 6 for 15 against us in Summer League, 0 for 1 on threes, gets bailed out with over a dozen free throws, and nearly racks up double digit turnovers and people are already talking about him as an immediate star? Okay. That game was a confirmation of all the reasons I'm glad he didn't end up on the Kings. Sloppy, inefficient, hero ball might fool casual NBA fans but I would hope that the diehards sticking around to watch Summer League games would know better.
The shot creation and passing skills will translate, I think. At the same time, a two-game sample size is way too small for various pundits to be making all the claims that they are. We even saw Paolo look increasingly bad as the game against Sacramento wore on. I think he's good but the calls for Orlando to immediately retool everything to exclusively build around him might be a taaaad bit premature.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
The shot creation and passing skills will translate, I think. At the same time, a two-game sample size is way too small for various pundits to be making all the claims that they are. We even saw Paolo look increasingly bad as the game against Sacramento wore on. I think he's good but the calls for Orlando to immediately retool everything to exclusively build around him might be a taaaad bit premature.
I'd feel better about his future if he didn't land on the one organization who's track record of developing prospects is somehow worse than ours. He'll be allowed to indulge in all of his worst habits on that team and be told that he's the man from day one until eventually the fans turn on him or he gets sick of losing and demands a trade. He's a talented guy but I don't think his strengths outweigh his weaknesses. He's basically a jumbo version of Ricky Rubio. He needs to have a 3pt jumper before he can be called a #1 option.

I only saw Orlando play the one game against our KINGS but I concur with both of you.

Not only was the game commentary hyping Banchero extreme hyperbole (I generally enjoy listening to Mark Jones and Doris Burke) but so was the reaction by fans. He simply wasn’t that good. And could surely use more experience in SL imo.

That said, I do agree with @Tetsujin that the shot creation and skill set for such a large player will translate. He needs to develop more than his go to spin move, but the talent and potential are surely there.

I have not been overall impressed by any of the top 4 picks (Chet is impressive somewhat) the glaring weaknesses are massive but the talent is there for sure, this could be one of those drafts where like a 10-20th pick ends up being the best player (e.g PG13/Giannis back in their draft). Also the hype JJ Reddick was trying to give to Mac McClung was a bit over the top. The guy is exciting but imo he does nothing well you want a NBA PG to do he plays like a much smaller/quicker Ray McCallum (massive hops as well).

I have not been overall impressed by any of the top 4 picks (Chet is impressive somewhat) the glaring weaknesses are massive but the talent is there for sure, this could be one of those drafts where like a 10-20th pick ends up being the best player (e.g PG13/Giannis back in their draft). Also the hype JJ Reddick was trying to give to Mac McClung was a bit over the top. The guy is exciting but imo he does nothing well you want a NBA PG to do he plays like a much smaller/quicker Ray McCallum (massive hops as well).
I’m fairness that was by far Mac’s worst game and the warriors team yesterday as a whole came out slow with individuals trying to play hero ball, Mac included. Honestly for me, I hope these announcers and NBA pundits leave the Kings name out their mouth, let us continue to be overlooked, disrespected and in turn keep our guys hungry. I want a Sacramento vs the world mentality from the players, which will be needed to improve our defense.

this is why I love having the 4 screen battlestation.. still 2 more games yet to tip off.. love this time of year.. but me having 4 screens; usually i have one for work/photoshop [I'm in the animation industry] one with something to read and 2 with streams movies or games on. Thats why I find it very difficult to believe some people have seen some of these young players extensively, cuz many of them I have, and it takes quite a bit of a juggling act that i dont think many have the time/attention span or energy to pull off..

Kambengele, even though he's gotta be like 25 now, stuffed the stat sheet vs Wiseman and the Warriors..

Moody and Kuminga looked good out there.. Kuminga is pretty much unstoppable on the break. Warriors will be very fun to watch this season.
I always appreciate your analysis but what I do not appreciate is your constant talking about what you perceive is a lack of knowledge depth from other posters here. You bring good content but your ego can be insufferable at times. We all watch varying amounts of basketball and give varying amounts of opinions. Some are more well informed and some are not. Believe it or not, you can watch thousands of hours of tape on a player and still be wrong. We know this because NBA scouts are wrong all the time.

If you think someone's opinion is incorrect, then state your reasoning for why it is incorrect by analyzing the player being discussed. That's a hell of a lot more interesting than reading a post like this one that I'm currently writing. I'm just saying show some respect for other people on this board, even if you don't agree with their opinions. You are almost always positive about players and I know for a fact that all the players you're positive about aren't going to turn out to be good players so lets stop acting like your opinion is gold while other opinions are inferior due to not watching basketball 24/7.