2022 Everything Free Agency/Trades Thread

Woj says Jazz are listening to offers for Donovan Mitchell.

I think the Jazz have already blown it up. Without Gobert’s regular season defense, having to adjust to a new coach and Conley’s injury history - the Jazz aren’t that talented. I’m a Donovan Mitchell fan - because I’ve seen him legitimately carry an offense in the playoffs. But I don’t think he can carry this team all season in the West as currently configured.

This is what Danny Ainge just did in Boston haha. Not really surprised, and if the Jazz get an offer that rivals what they got for Gobert watch out in 5 years. They’re going to be loaded with 1sts. It’s highly unlikely and flirts with impossible but imagine if the Kings could land Ben Simmons from the Nets with this team now as a part of a three plus team trade.

Last edited:

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Woj says Jazz are listening to offers for Donovan Mitchell.

I've been pointing out the obvious wrt next year's tanking for a long time now. Next year's draft has two highly sought after prospects before we even get a sniff of NBA play. We've got 4 teams right now that seem all in and you know another pool will see writing on the wall and join them ~20 games in. Barring total disaster play-in is the minimum to expect.

This is what Danny Ainge just did in Boston haha. Not really surprised, and if the Jazz get an offer that rivals what they got for Gobert watch out in 5 years. They’re going to be loaded with 1sts. It’s highly unlikely and flirts with impossible but imagine if the Kings could land Ben Simmons from the Nets with this team now as a part of a three plus team trade.
I like the idea of Simmons on this team. Did not want anything to do with him with the prior squads.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
If we assume normal injuries then Sabonis and Fox will miss half the season. We traded the wrong PG to Indiana. Fox will be lucky to play half the season. Same with Sabonis.
The most games Fox has ever missed in a single season came last season when he missed 23 games including a bout with COVID and the team pretty much sitting him out for the last couple of weeks. He would have to miss 18 more games to miss half the season.

The most Domas has ever missed in a season is 20, which was also last season and includes him also being sat for the last part of the year.

Stop trolling and get your facts straight.

4 years 60 mil for Mitchell Robinson sheeesh.. good for him..

The Knicks for such a long time have had underperforming PG's and C's... They've got a solid core of vets and youngins nowadays interested to see if it will push them towards the playoffs and how they'll mesh.

It seems like even if the wheels fall off the cart that they have some wiggle room with trade pieces..

Last edited:
33 getting bigger as the years go by sure seems like a lot for Wiggins. I would hope that's what Sabonas's next contract might look like, if he has a good year.
Wiggins is a different player now than he used to be. He's the best 3 and D player in the league, and I don't think it's close either. He also was the best player in the finals for a stretch of time. He's definitely worth that.

How do the Kings land Simmons in this scenario?

How do the Kings land Simmons in this scenario?
I could see Simmons ending up with the Kings as part of a Durant to the Heat deal, if the Heat were willing to give up Bam. The Nets can’t trade for Bam with Simmons on the roster, so they might be willing to take a hit on a Simmons deal to get a better asset back for Durant. At the very least, I could see Barnes ending up in Brooklyn and Holmes in Miami, but the question is what more it might take and whether the Kings would be willing to add much more given the severity of Simmons’s injury concerns.

I could see Simmons ending up with the Kings as part of a Durant to the Heat deal, if the Heat were willing to give up Bam. The Nets can’t trade for Bam with Simmons on the roster, so they might be willing to take a hit on a Simmons deal to get a better asset back for Durant. At the very least, I could see Barnes ending up in Brooklyn and Holmes in Miami, but the question is what more it might take and whether the Kings would be willing to add much more given the severity of Simmons’s injury concerns.
I could see Terrance Davis going to the Heat as well in this scenario. I am very nervous about Simmons. But the potential fit is intriguing (if his mentals and back is right).

I think, ultimately, Durant stays in Brooklyn - but don’t bet on it.

I could see Terrance Davis going to the Heat as well in this scenario. I am very nervous about Simmons. But the potential fit is intriguing (if his mentals and back is right).

I think, ultimately, Durant stays in Brooklyn - but don’t bet on it.
I think Durant and Irving both stay in Brooklyn. The Nets have canvassed the league for deals, and they're not getting the kinds of Gobert-like offers they'd need at bare minimum for Durant, much less the Greatest Haul of All Time kind of godfather offers they'd actually be motivated to pursue. And the only real interested party for Irving is the Lakers, and they're hardly flush with assets to send the Nets' way.

Ultimately, both KD and Kyrie, even disgruntled, are worth more to Brooklyn than anything they're currently likely to get in return. My guess is that they'd rather see what a healthy Durant/Irving/Simmons core can actually do, especially since they've got Durant/Simmons locked into long-term deals. There's no rush or urgency as of yet to move them, trade demands notwithstanding.

As for Simmons, my interest in the Kings trading for him died with the Sabonis acquisition. Domas gives the Kings a lot of the playmaking they'd get from Simmons, but since neither are likely to become reliable floor spacers, the Kings no longer have room in the starting unit for a player like Simmons, even if his injury risk, mental health, and competitive drive weren't the big question marks that they already are.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think Durant and Irving both stay in Brooklyn. The Nets have canvassed the league for deals, and they're not getting the kinds of Gobert-like offers they'd need at bare minimum for Durant, much less the Greatest Haul of All Time kind of godfather offers they'd actually be motivated to pursue. And the only real interested party for Irving is the Lakers, and they're hardly flush with assets to send the Nets' way.

Ultimately, both KD and Kyrie, even disgruntled, are worth more to Brooklyn than anything they're currently likely to get in return. My guess is that they'd rather see what a healthy Durant, Irving, Simmons core can actually do, especially since they've got Durant and Irving locked into long-term deals. There's no rush or urgency as of yet to move them, trade demands notwithstanding.
The really interesting thing to me is the news that Irving never asked for a trade. He and his agent(s) were granted permission to seek sign-and-trade deals because Brooklyn's front office didn't want to commit to a long term deal for him. If true, it means Irving's desire all along was likely to stay and play for the Nets. Which makes it especially weird that he opted in on June 27th or 28th and Durant requested a trade on June 30th. So, is the heart of this that KD doesn't want to play with Irving anymore? Or is the report wrong and they both want out?

The really interesting thing to me is the news that Irving never asked for a trade. He and his agent(s) were granted permission to seek sign-and-trade deals because Brooklyn's front office didn't want to commit to a long term deal for him. If true, it means Irving's desire all along was likely to stay and play for the Nets. Which makes it especially weird that he opted in on June 27th or 28th and Durant requested a trade on June 30th. So, is the heart of this that KD doesn't want to play with Irving anymore? Or is the report wrong and they both want out?
It's definitely a strange set of circumstances. Some reporting suggests that Durant actually does want to play with Irving still, and that his trade demand was actually motivated by the perception that the Nets had not done right by Irving, rather than the other way around. Perhaps Durant believed that Irving and his agent would be able to find a long-term deal elsewhere and would flee the Nets due to this perceived mistreatment, and so Durant figured he would follow Irving out the door in a show of superstar solidarity?

It sounds like a stretch, but I honestly think that KD and Kyrie are made for each other. They both carry sizable persecution complexes. They both love to play the martyr. They both worry far too much about the way the media shapes the narrative around each of them. Kyrie desperately wants to craft a narrative that he's unique, a deep thinker, and an innovator. KD desperately wants to craft a narrative that he's an all-time great for whom winning matters more than anything else. But they both spend so much time legacy shopping and attempting to manicure these images of themselves rather than allowing their play to do all of the talking that the fans and the media tend to see right through it.

Most likely they both want out. The reasoning for this new report is to increase his value. When a player openly wants out, other teams will lowball and the Nets really aren’t in a position to negotiate terms. By sending out reports of “he never wanted to leave in the first place” the hope is other teams up their offers. It’s all politics.