[Game] Kings vs. Magic [Vegas Summer League] 7/9/2022 1pm Pacific, 4pm Eastern (ESPN)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know if we are going to criticize our guy, we should also recognize Banchero struggled with the pressure himself. Lost it at end of OT and got bailed out end of 2nd OT after almost losing the ball again. He had great moments, but cooled off a lot while having a ton of turnovers. I think it was an excellent showing for Murray overall and he hit a big time shot after a great pump fake. Face up game and dribble is weak, but those things can be improved! Fun game at the end.
^^THiS.

Both players have a lot to work on. They are far from finished products.

Both showed a ton of promise. Both made rookie mistakes.

I really like OUR guy and I’m sure Orlando fan really likes their guy. IMO neither are wrong.

should be noted that, for whatever summer league is worth, Paolo was absolutely crumbling under pressure on offense over the last ten minutes of the game with his one highlight being a super controversial review call where the refs managed to not only erase a foul and completely ignore a goaltend but also give one team the ball despite there being no clear possessor at the time of play.
There’s an clear and obvious answer for all three of those decisions being made. Most of us know that answer.

Why only 11 shots for Keegan? Not getting schemed, selfish guards, or just passive?
He doesn't take bad shots and struggles to create as a playmaker. Which is good for the team they have in the regular season and bad for the team they might need in summer league They put him in a playmakers slot again today and he's not comfortable doing that. He wants to drive but the defenses in the NBA are going to pressure him when he does. Also the spacing today didn't allow him to get to his drop step when he did drive.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Elite in ball handling? He’s got good handles for a big man but Magic Johnson? I wouldn’t go that far.
That's why I used the word "some." And yes, when you talk about the package of vision, ball handling and BBIQ, he is elite for someone of his size. When he gets out of jungle ball in the summer league he'll show it even more. The only players of today who I can think of who are superior to him in that regard and of a comparable size is Doncic and maybe Green. After that I can't think of anybody that has his vision/ball handling ability, unless you go to centers like the Joker and Sabonis. He'll definitely be someone you can run the offense through as a point-forward.

Banchero with the Westbrick stat line. . .
8 TOs
Almost was 9.

And w/o some really really bad bail out foul calls — it could have been double digits.

For a 6-10 player, Banchero surely has a lot of potential as guy that can create off the dribble. I was impressed at times.

That said, I believe he’s going to struggle to do that against smaller, quicker defenders especially those that know how to pressure him and anticipate his spin move.

But he surely has the ability develop that part of his game and become a monster.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
He doesn't take bad shots and struggles to create as a playmaker. Which is good for the team they have in the regular season and bad for the team they might need in summer league They put him in a playmakers slot again today and he's not comfortable doing that. He wants to drive but the defenses in the NBA are going to pressure him when he does. Also the spacing today didn't allow him to get to his drop step when he did drive.
The thing with Keegan is that he’s such a good shooter that I’d almost prefer he’d just shoot it from the top of the key there instead of trying to force drives like he was trying in the first half. He’s already showing monster ability as a movement shooter (Klay-esque ability to shoot curling off of screens) but that doesn’t really mean much on a summer league team without guys capable of playing at his level and delivering him the ball like Draymond. Fortunately, in actual NBA games, he’s got Domas.

That's why I used the word "some." And yes, when you talk about the package of vision, ball handling and BBIQ, he is elite for someone of his size. When he gets out of jungle ball in the summer league he'll show it even more. The only players of today who I can think of who are superior to him in that regard and of a comparable size is Doncic and maybe Green. After that I can't think of anybody that has his vision/ball handling ability, unless you go to centers like the Joker and Sabonis. He'll definitely be someone you can run the offense through as a point-forward.
I’m not disagreeing with you on the last part. He will become the focal point no doubt about that. I just don’t see him wheeling and dealing on the fly like Magic. Several times today he just drove, tried to spin and lost it. Couple of times threw it out of bounds and other times straight at the defender. Doncic has elite passing ability but even more so an elite understanding of what to do and when.

Almost was 9.

And w/o some really really bad bail out foul calls — it could have been double digits.

For a 6-10 player, Banchero surely has a lot of potential as guy that can create off the dribble. I was impressed at times.

That said, I believe he’s going to struggle to do that against smaller, quicker defenders especially those that know how to pressure him and anticipate his spin move.

But he surely has the ability develop that part of his game and become a monster.
In time, if his coach knows what he's doing, Banchero is going to bury smaller defenders so deep you'll see two little feet sticking up out of the floor, haha. Yeah, it's up to him though. If he tries to go all finesse then he won't make use of his tools. If he uses them he could be like an older version of LeBron.

Both he and Banchero struggle as playmakers, as their handle on the ball isn’t where it needs to be. But both have potential in that area, with Banchero likely being more of that type of player eventually.

I can easily see Keegan developing that part of his game over the next few years. I don’t see anything telling me he can’t.

In time, if his coach knows what he's doing, Banchero is going to bury smaller defenders so deep you'll see two little feet sticking up out of the floor, haha. Yeah, it's up to him though. If he tries to go all finesse then he won't make use of his tools. If he uses them he could be like an older version of LeBron.
He was noticeable larger than Keegan Murray the few times I saw them standing next to each other. Not overwhelmingly, but definitely bigger.

Still, I thought Keegan did a fair job of sticking to him whenever they were matched up 101. Keegan’s calm demeanor, patience and fundamental play on both sides of the ball is very noticeable.

Regardless. 20 pts on 11 shots and 8 FTA is incredible. We take that all day every day

The thing with Keegan is that he’s such a good shooter that I’d almost prefer he’d just shoot it from the top of the key there instead of trying to force drives like he was trying in the first half. He’s already showing monster ability as a movement shooter (Klay-esque ability to shoot curling off of screens) but that doesn’t really mean much on a summer league team without guys capable of playing at his level and delivering him the ball like Draymond. Fortunately, in actual NBA games, he’s got Domas.
It'll be interesting to see what Fernandez does in the next game. Unlike game 2 of the Cali Classic they did eventually run some screens and old school Warriors elbow rub variations for him to free him up back to the perimeter.

Regardless. 20 pts on 11 shots and 8 FTA is incredible. We take that all day every day
Yeah, but he's going to get Peja/Barnes treatment from fans if this doesn't work out and they expect him to be THE building block. Monte has pushed all his chips in for sure. He built Fox's team so it's on Fox now if his coach uses him right.

Banchero had some great passes today, and he looked to take control offensively at the beginning of the 1st and 3rd.

Banchero and Murray had 4 TOs each at the exact same time in the game. Murray ended with 5, Banchero ended with 8. The difference between the two is that Keegan made the adjustments and limited the mental mistakes mid-game.

Keegan drilled a clutch 3 and plays within himself. Banchero is "credited" with a game-sealing block and assist.

Banchero had some great passes today, and he looked to take control offensively at the beginning of the 1st and 3rd.

Banchero and Murray had 4 TOs each at the exact same time in the game. Murray ended with 5, Banchero ended with 8. The difference between the two is that Keegan made the adjustments and limited the mental mistakes mid-game.

Keegan drilled a clutch 3 and plays within himself. Banchero is "credited" with a game-sealing block and assist.
Banchero should be great for them but they’ll still have to build a team around him and Orland’s track record with high picks is somewhere around Vlade level.

Been reading this forum for a while, finally deciding to comment. I think hopefully after watching Keegan vs Paolo we can all agree Keegan is not a small forward. The difference in ball handling and athleticism was pretty evident. A lot of player comparisons have been thrown around for Keegan but since he’s pretty clearly a 4 that can maybe slide down to the 3 depending on the matchup and that he seems to want to shoot a lot of threes and not post up a ton the right comparison for him may be Rashard Lewis. He was a 20 point scorer for Seattle in his prime and made a couple of all star teams. I loved the Keegan pick but he’s clearly not going to be a number 1 scorer on a playoff level team. And that’s ok, he doesn’t have to be. Maybe he could develop into a number 2 level guy and that’s ok too.

Both he and Banchero struggle as playmakers, as their handle on the ball isn’t where it needs to be. But both have potential in that area, with Banchero likely being more of that type of player eventually.

I can easily see Keegan developing that part of his game over the next few years. I don’t see anything telling me he can’t.
I think Keegan needs to get a bit better and getting tighter coming around the screens and leave a little less space for the defender to get over the top.

that being said the things he does should translate with nice back screen cuts and solid outside shooting.

His fit with Fox and Sabonis will be outstanding.

Banchero should be great for them but they’ll still have to build a team around him and Orland’s track record with high picks is somewhere around Vlade level.
really? Wagner (1st team all Rookie) and Banchero will be a tough set of forwards with whom to contend.

Guards are the easiest to find and they have a 6’ 9” small forward and a 6’ 10.5 power forward both who look to move the ball and are unselfish. That team will be really good for a long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.