2022 Everything Free Agency/Trades Thread

LOL. The Lakers media can't seem to understand ain't nobody trading for Westbrook. How are they going to match salaries for Hield? Send LeBron? AD?
It remains such a hilarious bit of schadenfreude since LeBron vetoed Pelinka's initial pursuit of Buddy Hield in favor of trading for the hype and husk of Russell Westbrook, the very financial anchor and basketball black hole that now prevents the Lakers from having the kind of roster flexibility to trade for a player like Hield, who would have been much more useful to the Lakers had Pelinka simply been empowered to do his job when he tried to acquire him in the first place.

LeBron's legacy is hardly in doubt, but the results of his influence over the front offices that must build around him continues to look like a big, old, splotchy grease stain on an otherwise immaculate record.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
It remains such a hilarious bit of schadenfreude since LeBron vetoed Pelinka's initial pursuit of Buddy Hield in favor of trading for the hype and husk of Russell Westbrook, the very financial anchor and basketball black hole that now prevents the Lakers from having the kind of roster flexibility to trade for a player like Hield, who would have been much more useful to the Lakers had Pelinka simply been empowered to do his job when he tried to acquire him in the first place.

LeBron's legacy is hardly in doubt, but the results of his influence over the front offices that must build around him continues to look like a big, old, splotchy grease stain on an otherwise immaculate record.
At $47 mill he's got to be the most overpaid player in the NBA. Keep it up, Lakers. Keep it up.

P.S. A similar "star-filled" team is NJ, who imo is going to continue to be a cluster. I have similar schadenfreude concerning them.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Absolutely insane. Hartenstein is better, but this is the exact kind of upside swing you go for. All the defensive tools to be elite and he's shown to be a rare spacer at the 5. Let Brown coach him up and see what happens.
The Magic reached their max patience level with Bamba. "A" for patience; "F" for the pick.

Backup plan if Monte's Collins pursuit ends in failure. It would also be exhibit A of what a desperate GM will do to win now.
I don't hate it if Thybulle comes too and I loved Jaden Springer as a prospect last year. If you bring in both for taking on the Tobias money for next season, that's a good use of the cap space we'd have next summer. And I think it's worth noting that Tobias is still a good player; he's just significantly overpaid. He'd absolutely help the Kings win games.

Barnes+Holmes+any expiring works cash wise for Tobias-Thybulle-Springer.

I wonder how close we are to a Collins deal, if it all. I feel like it’s been discussed so much publicly at this point, which has to be coming from ATL’s side. Monte doesn’t let much leak

I wonder how close we are to a Collins deal, if it all. I feel like it’s been discussed so much publicly at this point, which has to be coming from ATL’s side. Monte doesn’t let much leak
The report was that the Kings' initial offer was underwhelming. Which I can see since we more than likely aren't going to part with Fox/Davion/Sabonis. We're probably offering up Barnes + whatever other players and ATL is wanting us to attach pick(s) to it and McNair probably isn't budging.

I think if Collins was a better fit, he'd attach the picks but since there are a lot of question marks looming, I don't think McNair is willing to take that gamble.

we don’t really have any assets, not sure if they are willing to trade the ‘23 pick. He is an upside swing but I’d rather bet on Murray becoming the second scorer and get specialty role players to fill out the rest of the roster at this point.

I don't mind the idea of Harris but not for Barnes. Barnes isn't far off talent wise to begin with, already fits with Sabonis, and is expiring. Now adding him to Barnes would be interesting. It would certainly alter the possible playing time and role for Murray though.

The report was that the Kings' initial offer was underwhelming. Which I can see since we more than likely aren't going to part with Fox/Davion/Sabonis. We're probably offering up Barnes + whatever other players and ATL is wanting us to attach pick(s) to it and McNair probably isn't budging.

I think if Collins was a better fit, he'd attach the picks but since there are a lot of question marks looming, I don't think McNair is willing to take that gamble.
Would you rather?

Barnes+Expiring+2023 top 12 protected pick for Collins

Barnes+Holmes+Expirings for Tobias-Thybulle-Springer

I think if the Sixers offered that package, I'd take that deal over Collins. Tobias-Collins are very similar in talent and we aren't tied to 5 years of Collins if it doesn't work, while getting an excellent defensive boost in Thybulle and an intriguing young player in Springer. Locks up our cap space for next year, especially since Thybulle is RFA too, but I think that's worth it? I don't see any path where you get better value than that in 2023 FA as the Kings.

we don’t really have any assets, not sure if they are willing to trade the ‘23 pick. He is an upside swing but I’d rather bet on Murray becoming the second scorer and get specialty role players to fill out the rest of the roster at this point.
I would hope they see that Collins and Murray kind of occupy the same space. Their shot charts are nearly identical.

gunks

Hall of Famer
I don't hate it if Thybulle comes too and I loved Jaden Springer as a prospect last year. If you bring in both for taking on the Tobias money for next season, that's a good use of the cap space we'd have next summer. And I think it's worth noting that Tobias is still a good player; he's just significantly overpaid. He'd absolutely help the Kings win games.

Barnes+Holmes+any expiring works cash wise for Tobias-Thybulle-Springer.
I'd be cool with that. Doesn't Tobias expire when Sabonis comes up for a new contract too? Thought I read that somewhere...

Honestly prefer it to the Collins pursuit if we HAVE to make a splash with an overpaid player.

I'd be cool with that. Doesn't Tobias expire when Sabonis comes up for a new contract too? Thought I read that somewhere...
Yeah exactly. He's up in 2 seasons. And with Thybulle being a RFA next year as well, we'd basically be saying those 2 would be how we spent our 2023 cap space (with Springer).