The Official SPOILERS 2022 NBA Draft Thread

KF.com Existential Dread-ometer

• 51-70 (The house is on fire)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I was really let down with taking Keegan at 4 and not trading down for him, but after settling down a bit we’re getting a player who’s gonna be good for 10+ years and will be an instant starter.

Adding Keon Ellis as a two-way player is a really good pickup as well, very good upside there if he can add some size.
Trade down how? Do we know what was available? Could we have traded below 5 and be sure we would get him? If no, what was the package that was acceptable to pick someone we thought would be a lower tier player? We have no clue.

Even in the supposed trade with Detroit, what were they offering? We know they were ready to offload Grant, but for what? And how were we going to absorb him? We didn't have a 21 million trade exception lying around. We would have had to send back salary, or make it a 3-4 teams trade, something they might not have been interested in. There are just too many unknowns, and I think it's unfair to blame Monte for being lazy. If Keegan was the target, and there was no viable trade that provided a certainty of picking him, or a package that made picking another player worthwhile, this was the correct approach.

I do believe that if we had picked Ivey, there would have been a lot of pressure not only on Monte, but also on Brown, Ivey, Davion, TD, and DDV, and maybe even Fox. Teams would know that we will be forced to offload at least one major piece, and we would never get commensurate value, all while having a lopsided roster, and starting Harkless, or forcing someone to play out of position.

I'm happy Jovic did not go to Minny after wasting precious Bjelly years and literally waiting until Darko Milicic FAKED a hand injury just so his bro Nikola Petkovic (only other healthy C on the roster at the time) would get playing time there (they were going to trade him away for nothing).

Keon Ellis acquisition, like it. could be guard insurance in case there is an issue with DDV returning.
Very curious what Donte is thinking, of course not drafting Ivey should open up his roll here.
Also any thoughts on Collins, or has drafting Murray pretty much silenced that front?
I don’t imagine Monte is done.

Entity

Hall of Famer
Keon is great defender. Looked like herb jones early on but faded toward end of season. Actually just kinda quit taking shots. Quinerly and shackelford was jacking shots left and right

He needs to add size, but I absolutely see some Danny Green in his game. Very versatile and hounding perimeter defender and the C&S 3-ball and the 1 dribble fake and pull looks super polished. The handle looks....broken, but I think a good coach can utilize his classic "3andD" skill-set and make him a useful player.

Spend the year in Stockton bulking up and potentially could see him step into the Justin Holiday role in 2023. Overall a good upside swing with some valuable skills.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
He needs to add size, but I absolutely see some Danny Green in his game. Very versatile and hounding perimeter defender and the C&S 3-ball and the 1 dribble fake and pull looks super polished. The handle looks....broken, but I think a good coach can utilize his classic "3andD" skill-set and make him a useful player.

Spend the year in Stockton bulking up and potentially could see him step into the Justin Holiday role in 2023. Overall a good upside swing with some valuable skills.
I guess now would be a good time to mention that Mike Brown gets credited for helping turn Bruce Bowen into the best 3-and-D player of his time despite being allergic to dribbling.

Summer camp contract guy we picked up. Dunno if Davion is going to play summer league again (probably not), but seems like we're going to be a good defensive summer league squad. Queta-Murray-Keon and the 2 3&D wings in Horne and Rhoden. Would be really fun if we got Sasha to come play too. Monte sure had a vision heading into this draft; wing size, defense and shooting.

Summer camp contract guy we picked up. Dunno if Davion is going to play summer league again (probably not), but seems like we're going to be a good defensive summer league squad. Queta-Murray-Keon and the 2 3&D wings in Horne and Rhoden. Would be really fun if we got Sasha to come play too. Monte sure had a vision heading into this draft; wing size, defense and shooting.
I kind of just want Mitchell to play summer league this year to set the defensive tone for all of these young guys coming in. Let's teach those good habits from the get go. ;)

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude

I think the thing that's becoming clear is that Monte values both the 3 and the D part of the 3-and-D equation. For the most part, the only guy left at 37 who could possibly qualify for that role was Kendall Brown who is too allergic to shooting for us to know if he's actually good at shooting threes or not.

Still not exactly great Monte completely traded out of the second round instead of trying to move up or down for a guy who fit the archetype he wanted but I think I can kinda understand it.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Davion def the guy not to have an ego and go play Summer League again to get better and help us get better.
I think he told Deuce and Mo he'd be practicing with them but not playing in the games. I'm guess Matt Coleman from Stockton will probably be our main Summer League point guard and he's pretty much like a lesser Davion out there (Bobby got all his Stockton guys to play ridiculously hard on defense). Ade Murky will probably be on the roster too, considering we moved him up to the main roster during the COVID wave.

I think the thing that's becoming clear is that Monte values both the 3 and the D part of the 3-and-D equation. For the most part, the only guy left at 37 who could possibly qualify for that role was Kendall Brown who is too allergic to shooting for us to know if he's actually good at shooting threes or not.

Still not exactly great Monte completely traded out of the second round instead of trying to move up or down for a guy who fit the archetype he wanted but I think I can kinda understand it.
I mean, EJ Liddell was a top 20 talent, an excellent 4/5 defender that shot 37.5% from 3 this season while carrying an enormous offensive workload for Ohio State. By all accounts an incredible kid too, super hard working, great story. Very similar to Keegan in that aspect imo.

And yeah, give me EJ Liddell over Metu/Lyles/Harkless/Len/Damian Jones.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I mean, EJ Liddell was a top 20 talent, an excellent 4/5 defender that shot 37.5% from 3 this season while carrying an enormous offensive workload for Ohio State. By all accounts an incredible kid too, super hard working, great story. Very similar to Keegan in that aspect imo.

And yeah, give me EJ Liddell over Metu/Lyles/Harkless/Len/Damian Jones.
I'm really wondering if something popped up on Liddell's medical exam during the combine. The dude also tested pretty bad during the combine (which didn't stop Baldwin from going in the first draft for some reason).

Guy's kinda stuck in the no-man's-land of being a 4/5 tweener in a league that's generally completely veered away from them. I think he could still be good but we were even seeing Grant Williams's success having its limits during the postseason and he's pretty much the ideal outcome for EJ at this point.