The Official SPOILERS 2022 NBA Draft Thread

KF.com Existential Dread-ometer

• 51-70 (The house is on fire)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
No he won't and shouldnt until he earns the minutes. Very few rookies can come in and understand the defensive schemes and deal with the speed of the nba.
I remember when Lakers fans were completely smitten with Lonzo Ball and didnt even want to consider Jayson Tatum for their pick..

I was telling Lakers fans back then "just take tatum and put him at SG between Ingram and Russell" and people thought it was crazy nonsense. Gotta say returning to this forum for one day today I'm getting similar vibes. (Except theres far more people who see the light with Murray). Funny enough I read something a few weeks back saying that Lonzo over Tatum pick was a painful memory for Lakers decision makers.

Who do the Kings have thats so good they can keep Keegan Murray out of the starting lineup?

The Warriors just won the championship with Andrew Wiggins as the tallest member of their starting lineup..

Fox-DiVicenzo-Murray-Barnes-Sabonis seems like a legit lineup to me..

Ill never get over looking at who shot the 3's last season post-trade, and how poorly they performed, and not thinking those 3PA's would be much much better off in the hands of Murray..

He's smooth n prepared, and has good feet n often gets into the right place at the right time. Hes got devastating fakes and jab steps step-back's turn around 3's, hes a natural at cutting and he can defend guards and forwards, hes got an excellent demeanor on and off the court calm and cool but a tireless worker. If hes the pick he deserves plenty of reps right away this team is not good enough to warrant coddling him IMO.

With that in mind. Is Ivey a better starting option day 1 over Mitchell or DDV?
Do you not see 3pt shooting being a major issue with this team given these scenarios? Fox shot 29% Mitchell 31%,

Ivey started out the college season shooting a great percentage but then went ice cold for 2 months... what if he doesnt shoot it well from 3? Is there any scenario where thats a salvagable season? Or are we just preparing another tank?

Im missing something.. Sabonis is a 32% career 3pt shooter.. The Ivey pick doesnt add up to me, unless hes just trade bait..

Is the plan to revolutionize the western conference with 2point shots? With an owner that has so many ties back to golden state?

or is it 'were gonna take Ivey and tank'? Im like kinda new here again n at a loss.. something just doesnt add up here..

Marvin Bagley not being able to hit his 3's was a gigantic disaster.. no? Can the Kings afford to pass on a solid 3 pt shooter for one who might have just had a hot streak?

Ivey did shoot 25/97 from 3 freshman year... thats 26% which is similar to his 2 months to close out sophomore year...

To me this is a bad team if ur rooting for Ivey to land on because of this... like not even from the perspective of the team but for Ivey, this is a volatile landing spot because of the lack of shooting..

Last edited:
Do you not see 3pt shooting being a major issue with this team given these scenarios? Fox shot 29% Mitchell 31%,

Ivey started out the college season shooting a great percentage but then went ice cold for 2 months... what if he doesnt shoot it well from 3? Is there any scenario where thats a salvagable season? Or are we just preparing another tank?

Im missing something.. Sabonis is a 32% career 3pt shooter.. The Ivey pick doesnt add up to me, unless hes just trade bait..

Is the plan to storm the western conference with 2point shots?

or is it 'were gonna take Ivey and tank'? Im like kinda new here again n at a loss.. something just doesnt add up here..
Yeah the shooting has been talked about. I think it's fair to say Ivey is a better shooting prospect than Fox was coming out and there's some positive signs (he had some of the furthest out three point attempts in college. 27 feet I believe) that point to him being at least a reasonable shooter. 74% from the FT line is an okay indicator as well. But absolutely not an elite/reliable spacer by any means.

Basically most of the Ivey proponents acknowledge he's not a great fit with Fox/Sabonis and will take some creativity to really maximize everyone. I admit as an honorary captain of the Murray ship, the Ivey fit with his off-ball game became more and more apparent with film study. Ivey moves a TON off ball and is traveling quite a bit on the offensive end. Can see a lot of goodness with Sabonis passing.

I do get it and see the upside case for Ivey. I just don't think he's BPA at 4 over Keegan.

Is the plan to revolutionize the western conference with 2point shots? With an owner that has so many ties back to golden state?

Marvin Bagley not being able to hit his 3's was a gigantic disaster.. no? Can the Kings afford to pass on a solid 3 pt shooter for one who might have just had a hot streak?

Ivey did shoot 25/97 from 3 freshman year... thats 26% which is similar to his 2 months to close out sophomore year...

To me this is a bad team if ur rooting for Ivey to land on because of this... like not even from the perspective of the team but for Ivey, this is a volatile landing spot because of the lack of shooting..
If Fox continues to shoot 29% from 3, then he’s not worth his contract and we are screwed anyway. Davion is going to be fine. And Sabonis could improve to league average. Barnes is a very good 3 point shooter.

The issue is that some people (including me) think that Ivey is going to be a star. Acquiring a star at 4 is way more important than fit for this season. I love Keegan Murray but I don’t think he has the same star potential as Ivey (but I could be very wrong and won’t hate the pick if it’s Keegan).

Yeah the shooting has been talked about. I think it's fair to say Ivey is a better shooting prospect than Fox was coming out and there's some positive signs (he had some of the furthest out three point attempts in college. 27 feet I believe) that point to him being at least a reasonable shooter. 74% from the FT line is an okay indicator as well. But absolutely not an elite/reliable spacer by any means.

Basically most of the Ivey proponents acknowledge he's not a great fit with Fox/Sabonis and will take some creativity to really maximize everyone. I admit as an honorary captain of the Murray ship, the Ivey fit with his off-ball game became more and more apparent with film study. Ivey moves a TON off ball and is traveling quite a bit on the offensive end. Can see a lot of goodness with Sabonis passing.

I do get it and see the upside case for Ivey. I just don't think he's BPA at 4 over Keegan.
Ok im glad i asked you. Cuz I think I see a good chunk of what your seeing.. Keegan is very good off the ball with that type of movement as well, hes got good feet, and anticipation and all that.

Im kinda high conviction over here that they will take Murray over Ivey n be done with it.. It's just too much of a match. I'll be that one guy who will truly be shocked if they take Ivey and dont trade him.

With that in mind. Is Ivey a better starting option day 1 over Mitchell or DDV?
He is better in this sense. To maximize the draft capital the team just spent, he needs to play with the starters and against starters. If he can't hang and get better week by week, then he's not worth that top 5 pick. Trial by fire. Fail fast.

These guys who are super athletic never had to adjust their game because no one could stop them. Let Ivey get out there with the best and figure out what he can and can't do. Protecting him and playing him against second string players slows progress.

In my mind, the draft is a crap shoot. The best way to weaken those gambling odds is to put restrictions and doubt in that draft picks mind.

Later 1st round picks and 2nd rounders are a different story.

If Fox continues to shoot 29% from 3, then he’s not worth his contract and we are screwed anyway. Davion is going to be fine. And Sabonis could improve to league average. Barnes is a very good 3 point shooter.

The issue is that some people (including me) think that Ivey is going to be a star. Acquiring a star at 4 is way more important than fit for this season. I love Keegan Murray but I don’t think he has the same star potential as Ivey (but I could be very wrong and won’t hate the pick if it’s Keegan).
I think Keegan Murray can score like 15 ppg and be in the running for ROY here with the Kings in year one... Personally... like a Jayson Tatum-lite...

and I hate to keep citing the same thing but look at the players who took so many 3's and missed so many last season, thats where I could see it happening.. Sabonis moves the ball, Fox discards defenders in the blink of an eye.. Harrison Barnes sticks around n does his thing DiVicenzo hopefully is a bit more efficient with all the cogs settled in place... This is the momentum the franchise needs IMO, their fastest route to 'an identity' banking it all on Ivey being a star seems like much more volatile.. and its not like injuries cant happen and they cant end up super high in the lotto in either scenario... so yeah not to throw dirt on my dream scenario but thats where im at.

Initially I wasn't as high on Ivey, but a person I really respect broke down to me why he was. I watched more film and researched him more. I have him as #2 on my big board behind Chet. I'm not as big on Banchero because as you know I don't like picking big men high that don't project elite defensively like say Evan Mobley last year.

I think a realistic high end outcome for Ivey is a +4 offensive player. We are talking Donovan Mitchell territory. I think he has a solid chance of being an elite scorer and secondary playmaker. I think he has an outside chance of being a +7 offense territory by also developing into an elite playmaker.

You had guys like Darius Garland and Dejounte Murray that got you 5+ assists per 100 with high turnovers in college that have developed into high end to elite playmakers. So it's not at all out of the realm of possibility. This isn't a layup like Luka, but the draft after all is a dice roll and to me Ivey has the highest probability of becoming an elite offensive talent.

Sharpe I would stay far away from. We have nothing for him against high level competition and his interviews are dreadful.
Interesting, after reading this I'm going to be happy if we end up with Ivey. I get your point about Banchero as a bad defending big but I see him more as a 4 that can be played with a good defending 5 so you could hide him on defense. He wouldnt've been in my top 3 in last years draft but this year I just feel his elite handle for his size and ability to create for himself and others is something I personally wouldnt pass at 1.

Im probably higher on Sharpe than most, dont know much about his interviews but his skillset is extremely intriguing to me. Very risky pick overall but Kings desperately need top level talent so I would definetly consider him

Getting the vibe that we're just keeping the pick and rolling with our fave player. We'll see, but, i really wish i didn't care so much. The 7th or 8th pick would have been much more boring lol

Good convo going on right now with a scout (Drake U'U) on DLO & KC. Can rewind a bit to catch the full convo. Lines up with my views, Keegan, Ivey @ 4? Good not great. Trade down, Monte!

If Fox continues to shoot 29% from 3, then he’s not worth his contract and we are screwed anyway.
This is an interesting comment considering the masses seemingly never considered DeMar DeRozan as unworthy of his contracts or the teams he has played for throughout his career to be screwed.

And FWIW Swipa is a .320 career 3pt shooter over 5 seasons which is more accurate and fair than cherry picking one season.