KINGS PICKING 4TH IN 2022 NBA DRAFT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dude12

Hall of Famer
My take is that there isn’t any superstar in this class of picks. That being said, here are two examples of guys whose value to winning is massive. Mikal Bridges and Herb Jones. Want another one? Draymond Green. If we can just come away with our version of those guys, the 3 and D studs/wings who can anchor your defense, then I’m down for that.

oh? Super interesting to me as Ivey is a lower-tier "top guard" for a class than we've seen in recent years.

But maybe some legs on us trading up with OKC. Presti gets the guy he wants and a lotto pick from the worst historically run organization in the last 15 years. As we've discussed, I'd hopefully like to keep top 5 pick protection, but I'd still shove all-in with the unprotected FRP if it means we get Chet/Jabari
For perspective, in the Doncic-Trae swap, Mavs sent a lottery protected FRP to the Hawks for moving up two spots.

That was a stronger draft, but if McNair knows who he wants, I don't think a lottery protected 2024 FRP is a huge deal. If the Kings can just not be in the lottery for once I'd consider that a win.
I agree. I would also count that as a win.

My point was about folks ready to trade with much weaker protection. Mavs and Hawks were both trading for potentially franchise guys (both eventually did too, rather quickly). Some of us seem eager to give up a high pick in a future draft that might have more promise, for the privilege of moving up couple of spots for a potentially better, but not franchise level talent. That's my gripe.

While we are at it, I didn't include the Fultz-Tatum trade, even though there too the Sixers moved up 2 spots and gave up a pick that could have been very valuable. The reason was that Sixers were on the cusp of making a big leap, and thought Fultz to be the PG to take them to the next level. While that didn't work out (duh!), they were ready to pay a premium and not wait. Ours (and OKC's) situation is closer to Mavs/Hawks of that time than Sixers/Celtics.

Honestly, i do NOT move up in this draft. Are there good all star level players, probably, but not a franchise player among them. Unless moving up helps free you up financially (ie sending Holmes and #4 to OKC for #2) which isn't likely, i dont do it. I stay at 4 and whoever falls (Smith, Holmgren) i take. If Murray is there i consider taking him unless i csn trade down and gain assets (prying Grant from Detroit by flipping #4/5-which may be too close) or sending #4 and next years 1st to Washington along with Holmes, Mitchell and other for Beal.

Id be most interested in sending #4 and TD, Harkless, or Len to the spurs for #8 and Keldon Johnson (and pick up Mathurin at 8 as he is still projected to be there). Then go after Portis or Bamba with the MLE.

Fox/Mitchell
DDV/Mathurin/Holiday
Johnson/Holiday/
Barnes/portis or bambaMetu
Sabonis/Jones/portis or bamba

So what?

Kings draft Tyrese Haliburton - laughingstock
Kings develop Haliburton into solid young PG - laughingstock
Kings draft defensive stalwart Davion Mitchell - laughingstock
Kings trade from a position of strength to get a 25-yo All-Star center who fits really well with their PG - laughingstock
Kings land #4 pick in draft and explore all possibilities - laughingstock

Sticks and stones, man. I'm ready to ignore the name-calling, get this pick (or trade) right, land a franchise player, establish a 10-year dynasty, and go all sticks and stones on the rest of the league while they keep calling us a laughingstock.
I like this new Capt who is (seemingly) concerned less with factorial but a lot more Fuego! :eek::D

I would love to have Banchero. His shooting form looks pretty good, he shot 34% from 3 for the season, and I think he shot 73% or 74% from the ft line. He seemed like a three level scorer. Obviously he will need work to get better from range but signs point to him being at least league average at 35%.

As for the defense, I believe that he was pretty good in isolations against ball handlers and post ups. He struggled in the zone or defending the roll man on a pick and roll. I think there is a lot of potential for him on defense, especially with someone like Mike Brown who had Draymond Green to work with. Banchero is a pretty high IQ player, and with his athletic traits for a guy with his size and length, I think Mike Brown would love him.

Couple all of that with his playmaking ability, I think he could be a Ben Simmons type but with shooting. Not saying he will be as good on defense or as good as a playmaker but I think he could be at least a Simmons lite just with a better offensive ability.

So I'd love to get one of Holmgren, Banchero, or Murray. They all seem to have that fire in them.
Banchero also stepped up during March Madness. He was scoring over 20 PPG with like 45%+ on 3s. Looks like they needed him to be more aggressive during that time and he showed up. If he can keep that up then we can have at least a ROY candidate upcoming season

I'm pretty sure our owner isn't going to let a GM with a expiring contract trade away our future picks. How exactly do you plan on attracting other GMs with no future? Common yall. They are either drafting at 4 or trading back period

I'm pretty sure our owner isn't going to let a GM with a expiring contract trade away our future picks. How exactly do you plan on attracting other GMs with no future? Common yall. They are either drafting at 4 or trading back period
It's Vivek. When has he shown himself to be a rational owner?

Letting a GM trade away a future pick, firing him when the team doesn't make the playoffs, and then giving the next GM the same "playoffs or bust" mandate despite lacking trade assets due to the previous GM sounds exactly like something he'd do.

I'm okay with a trade up (depending on the price) but I wish Ranadive would just extend Monte and let him work.

Last edited:
My fave is still Banchero, but I'm starting to really like Daniels. At 4 or later if the Kings trade down. Always liked the film. Now with the confirmed growth spurt, we're looking at a player, who likely will be able to play 1 to 4 in a few years.

Parts of ESPN's recent blurb (bonus, they cover Ivey, Murray, and Sharpe as well):

"All the while, Daniels continued to sprout up, adding an inch and a half and 10 pounds of bulk as the season moved on, going from a 6-5, 162-pound guard at the NBA Academy Games in 2019 to standing nearly 6-8 and 195 pounds with a 6-10½ wingspan. With broad shoulders, a well-proportioned frame and ever-improving speed and explosiveness, Daniels' measurements aren't too different from those of Khris Middleton at the same age. Middleton is now listed at a robust 222 pounds and has no issues sliding to the power forward position in the NBA despite having guard skills.
Daniels' defense will get him on the court early in his NBA career and will likely become his calling card. He brings a rare combination of discipline, awareness and intensity on and off the ball that you rarely see from 19-year-olds, consistently fighting over screens, denying off the ball and mirroring smaller players with quick hip turns and excellent feet. Even though his frame is still evolving -- not a surprise considering he played most of the G League season as an 18-year-old, he regularly put the clamps on players much older and more physical than him, while often getting in passing lanes for steals or rotating from the weak side for blocks...

Daniels' evolution offensively will end up determining how high he should have been drafted when it's all said and done. He struggled to make shots early in the season as he transitioned to the longer NBA 3-point line, but made significant strides as the year moved on, converting 42% of his 3-pointers over the last two months of the G League season. The touch he shows on his jumper, as well as on his buttery floater -- his go-to move right now -- bodes well for his prospects in this department, as does the way coaches and teammates rave about the work ethic and focus he shows off the court.

While his jumper progresses, particularly in terms of the speed of his release, Daniels' passing will make it hard for coaches to keep him off the floor. He grew up playing point guard and that's evident in the way he passes the ball off a live dribble and pushes ahead in transition unselfishly. He's not a high-level shot creator at this stage but has a lot of the same tricks similar players like Shai Gilgeous-Alexander and Tyrese Haliburton did at the same stage with the way they manipulate defenses with savvy and pace, seeing over the top of defenses thanks to their excellent size.

Daniels looks like a great fit in Sacramento (No. 4), which has a clear need for a high-level guard/wing who can defend multiple positions while keeping the offense humming with secondary playmaking and unselfishness. The Kings traded away Haliburton, a player with whom you often hear Daniels compared, but the fact that Daniels is 10 pounds stronger and nearly 3 inches taller would also allow him to see time alongside the likes of Davion Mitchell and De'Aaron Fox as well, especially as his jumper improves..."

https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/in...e-four-players-break-2022-nba-draft-big-three

It's Vivek. When has he shown himself to be a rational owner?

Letting a GM trade away a future pick, firing him when the team doesn't make the playoffs, and then giving the next GM the same "playoffs or bust" mandate despite lacking trade assets due to the previous GM sounds exactly like something he'd do.

I'm okay with a trade up (depending on the price) but I wish Ranadive would just extend Monte and let him work.
20-21 31 wins
31-22 30 wins.
At this point, I do not want to extend Monte. He's has another year on his contract. He does not deserve an extension.....yet. Win more games, make playoffs. Afterall, all the current excitement, is because the ping pong balls dropped the Kings from 7 to 4. Hardly, due to Monte's prowess as a GM. So far, his teams numbers suggest poor or perhaps, Incomplete or TBD. For instance, I looked at that wing core this past season and wondered what he meant by saying this is a complete roster.

20-21 31 wins
31-22 30 wins.
At this point, I do not want to extend Monte. He's has another year on his contract. He does not deserve an extension.....yet. Win more games, make playoffs. Afterall, all the current excitement, is because the ping pong balls dropped the Kings from 7 to 4. Hardly, due to Monte's prowess as a GM. So far, his teams numbers suggest poor or perhaps, Incomplete or TBD. For instance, I looked at that wing core this past season and wondered what he meant by saying this is a complete roster.
I'm not going to argue that McNair is a great GM. He's been okay. To me the biggest issue is that having a lame duck GM hire a new coach and be asked to make win now moves is just a bad situation.

We've seen this story before. The GM is fired. The new GM inherits the coach from the last GM. The GM fires the coach, hires "his" coach, and then the GM gets fired. Rinse and repeat.

The one thing McNair has in his favor that Vlade didn't is that he's drafted well (in the first round anyway) his first two attempts. For a team like Sacramento that will never attract a star in free agency, that's a big one for a GM. Hopefully he gets a great player this draft.

Again, I don't think McNair should be extended because he's done an amazing job. I think he should be extended because he's done enough and this franchise needs some level of consistency and a GM who isn't looking solely at the upcoming season.

gunks

Hall of Famer
20-21 31 wins
31-22 30 wins.
All you Monte naysayers are crazy.

Vlade left him a steaming cluster of a roster and hardly any tradable assets, along with a numbskull HC as incompetent at coaching as he was as GM.

What mythical 2 way wings was he supposed to get with a war chest of Buddy Chuckits, Marvin, and the rotating cast of ineffectual journeymen that Vlade overpaid to fill out his "Super team, just young"?

Nevermind that he can't retool via FA like a larger market team, this has to all be organic and that takes longer than 2 offseasons.

I haven't been wowed by him, but just the fact that he isn't pulling some franchise crippling trade out of his butt every other year or completely miffing the draft like the last guy is enough for me after a decade plus of glaring incompetence from our FO.

I cannot comprehend that we are calling the GM, who has had the job for exactly 1 year and 252 days. Has only had one full off season and just got to hire his coach.

If we are operating in that frame of mind, this team will NEVER, literally NEVER progress. So, I, for one, cannot and will not operate under that train of thought.

IF, that somehow becomes what happens, I will dump my season tickets. Vlade got 5 years to peddle his nonsense. We actually having a guy who is probably make 70-80% correct decisions so far. This is lunacy.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Dude posted some of the worst athletic metrics in combine history after having one of the worst college seasons in recent memory. Some GM might reach on him in the teens but they're also probably getting fired.
The numbers were bad. I agree. But just looking at the size, skill, and shot. I think he's going to be an easy ten year pro. He's not going to blow by guys, but the balance that he's showing on film is intriguing--finishing left, jumping off of either foot, gathering from different levels off the dribble...

Balance is a big thing for me. It either helps subpar athleticism (Jokic, for example) or negates it (left handed everything Bagley, who played like he was 6'5 on defense).

My fave is still Banchero, but I'm starting to really like Daniels. At 4 or later if the Kings trade down. Always liked the film. Now with the confirmed growth spurt, we're looking at a player, who likely will be able to play 1 to 4 in a few years.

Parts of ESPN's recent blurb (bonus, they cover Ivey, Murray, and Sharpe as well):

"All the while, Daniels continued to sprout up, adding an inch and a half and 10 pounds of bulk as the season moved on, going from a 6-5, 162-pound guard at the NBA Academy Games in 2019 to standing nearly 6-8 and 195 pounds with a 6-10½ wingspan. With broad shoulders, a well-proportioned frame and ever-improving speed and explosiveness, Daniels' measurements aren't too different from those of Khris Middleton at the same age. Middleton is now listed at a robust 222 pounds and has no issues sliding to the power forward position in the NBA despite having guard skills.
Daniels' defense will get him on the court early in his NBA career and will likely become his calling card. He brings a rare combination of discipline, awareness and intensity on and off the ball that you rarely see from 19-year-olds, consistently fighting over screens, denying off the ball and mirroring smaller players with quick hip turns and excellent feet. Even though his frame is still evolving -- not a surprise considering he played most of the G League season as an 18-year-old, he regularly put the clamps on players much older and more physical than him, while often getting in passing lanes for steals or rotating from the weak side for blocks...

Daniels' evolution offensively will end up determining how high he should have been drafted when it's all said and done. He struggled to make shots early in the season as he transitioned to the longer NBA 3-point line, but made significant strides as the year moved on, converting 42% of his 3-pointers over the last two months of the G League season. The touch he shows on his jumper, as well as on his buttery floater -- his go-to move right now -- bodes well for his prospects in this department, as does the way coaches and teammates rave about the work ethic and focus he shows off the court.

While his jumper progresses, particularly in terms of the speed of his release, Daniels' passing will make it hard for coaches to keep him off the floor. He grew up playing point guard and that's evident in the way he passes the ball off a live dribble and pushes ahead in transition unselfishly. He's not a high-level shot creator at this stage but has a lot of the same tricks similar players like Shai Gilgeous-Alexander and Tyrese Haliburton did at the same stage with the way they manipulate defenses with savvy and pace, seeing over the top of defenses thanks to their excellent size.

Daniels looks like a great fit in Sacramento (No. 4), which has a clear need for a high-level guard/wing who can defend multiple positions while keeping the offense humming with secondary playmaking and unselfishness. The Kings traded away Haliburton, a player with whom you often hear Daniels compared, but the fact that Daniels is 10 pounds stronger and nearly 3 inches taller would also allow him to see time alongside the likes of Davion Mitchell and De'Aaron Fox as well, especially as his jumper improves..."

https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/in...e-four-players-break-2022-nba-draft-big-three
Didn't want to comment on Dyson since I hadn't seen a live game, but all the reports on him are incredibly encouraging. This seems like draft twitters dude, and the archetype is reaaal nice, especially if he's truly 1-3 versatility on both ends.

Bigger Ty Haliburton? Oh baby. The shot isn't close, but pretty clear Daniels has significantly better upside on defense. But same type of high-level connector with the passing and bball IQ, according to a lot of these reports.

Vlade left him a steaming cluster of a roster and hardly any tradable assets, along with a numbskull HC as incompetent at coaching as he was as GM.

What mythical 2 way wings was he supposed to get with a war chest of Buddy Chuckits, Marvin, and the rotating cast of ineffectual journeymen that Vlade overpaid to fill out his "Super team, just young"?

Nevermind that he can't retool via FA like a larger market team, this has to all be organic and that takes longer than 2 offseasons.

I haven't been wowed by him, but just the fact that he isn't pulling some franchise crippling trade out of his butt every other year or completely miffing the draft like the last guy is enough for me after a decade plus of glaring incompetence from our FO.
He had tradeable assets but endless short term thinking rendered them useless.

He has let multiple assets walk out the door and at the end of this year I suspect Barnes will be another. We routinely stack useless wins after the all-Star break when it’s clear to all but our front office the season is toast.

It’s fair to say Vivek is the problem but Monte claims he is in charge so he gets to take the blame. I fully expect us to blow this pick on another short term move.

Didn't want to comment on Dyson since I hadn't seen a live game, but all the reports on him are incredibly encouraging. This seems like draft twitters dude, and the archetype is reaaal nice, especially if he's truly 1-3 versatility on both ends.

Bigger Ty Haliburton? Oh baby. The shot isn't close, but pretty clear Daniels has significantly better upside on defense. But same type of high-level connector with the passing and bball IQ, according to a lot of these reports.
I was very confused by these two tweets back to back. Mike Schmitz thinks Keegan Murray is a "forward version of Tyrese Haliburton" while Givony mentioned that Dyson Daniels is often compared to Hali.

I definitely can see the Daniels/Haliburton comparison, but Daniels needs an effective outside shot to have a similar impact on offense. He should be significantly better on defense and with more switchability.

The Keegan Murray comparison doesn't really make sense. I get what he's saying - both are guys who don't pop on screen but do all the little things, but there's really not any part of their actual games that resemble one another.

This is the best position the Kings have been in during the last 15 years. Easily. Finally a GM-Coach that are on the same page. No more FO moles like Dumars/Brandon Williams. No more coup attempts for power. Fox/Sabonis/Mitchell core and likely bringing back DDV isa dang good 26 and under core. #4 pick on the way.

The Monte haters just can't get out of their own head. They wanted to be right so badly that he wasn't a good GM in the beginning, that they're flailing with the positive move after positive move.

I’ve been looking at a lot of the prospects more in depth over the last week or so and man, this is by far the hardest draft in terms of separating talent I’ve ever seen lol. The top three are hard to separate, does Ivey belong in that mix or is he a tier below, which of the wings are the best, etc. etc. so many questions for me in this draft class.

I wouldn’t mind moving up, moving back or staying at 4. But I’m definitely rooting for a move up to 2 for Chet because he has the highest ceiling and would still fit with Sabonis imo. And he’d even help our defense pretty quickly.

I was very confused by these two tweets back to back. Mike Schmitz thinks Keegan Murray is a "forward version of Tyrese Haliburton" while Givony mentioned that Dyson Daniels is often compared to Hali.

I definitely can see the Daniels/Haliburton comparison, but Daniels needs an effective outside shot to have a similar impact on offense. He should be significantly better on defense and with more switchability.

The Keegan Murray comparison doesn't really make sense. I get what he's saying - both are guys who don't pop on screen but do all the little things, but there's really not any part of their actual games that resemble one another.
I agree that the only common denominator between Hali and Murrary is average athleticism. Hali did pop when i saw him in college. Not physically, but just how he played the game, the passing and vision, especially.

Murrary, while not a black hole, doesn’t make others better like the way Hali does. Outside of hitting his set three pointers, everything looked ordinary.

Daniels’ feel for the game with those physical tools are Hali-esque. Wuickly becoming my second fave prospect behind Banchero.

This is the best position the Kings have been in during the last 15 years. Easily. Finally a GM-Coach that are on the same page. No more FO moles like Dumars/Brandon Williams. No more coup attempts for power. Fox/Sabonis/Mitchell core and likely bringing back DDV isa dang good 26 and under core. #4 pick on the way.

The Monte haters just can't get out of their own head. They wanted to be right so badly that he wasn't a good GM in the beginning, that they're flailing with the positive move after positive move.
I really don’t get the big deal with needing to extend him now. With or without an extension, he gets fired if the Kings suck. Let the season play itself out. Extend him and give him more money if the Kings win. Or fire him, if they don’t.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude

In other words, Dyson Daniels is Josh Giddey who plays defense or quite plainly Ben Simmons? What's in the water in Australia?

He had tradeable assets but endless short term thinking rendered them useless.

He has let multiple assets walk out the door and at the end of this year I suspect Barnes will be another. We routinely stack useless wins after the all-Star break when it’s clear to all but our front office the season is toast.

It’s fair to say Vivek is the problem but Monte claims he is in charge so he gets to take the blame. I fully expect us to blow this pick on another short term move.
Love to see when people shout out their predictions like they are foregone conclusions, regardless of my stance on any of your points. I understand this generation is about who can scream the loudest regardless of any fact or truth but this is just ridiculous.

I cannot comprehend that we are calling the GM, who has had the job for exactly 1 year and 252 days. Has only had one full off season and just got to hire his coach.

If we are operating in that frame of mind, this team will NEVER, literally NEVER progress. So, I, for one, cannot and will not operate under that train of thought.

IF, that somehow becomes what happens, I will dump my season tickets. Vlade got 5 years to peddle his nonsense. We actually having a guy who is probably make 70-80% correct decisions so far. This is lunacy.
To quote Bill Parcells: "You are what your record says you are."
Team defensive rating at nba.com
20-21 30th place out of the 30 teams.
21-22 27th place.

I see that Mitch Kupchak also was closing in on the end of his contract this summer and was extended last week.

I think the Kings, extended Vlade, early-like in April 2019 making the Kings extend through 22-23. Remember that 39 game winning season under Joerger with Vlade as GM. Then, how did that one work out.

Monte has another year at the helm of this team. I argue, let us see what the team does and what it looks like, during the 22-23 season before an extension. Evaluate during the season, to see if the team looks promising, more wins, etc and make a decison. If the team does well, you might have to pay up for Monte. If not, you can easily move on.

For the Kings, it seems that you fire a guy after 2 or 3 years, but you pay the guy for 4 or 5 years.

And it looks to me at present, the Kings continue to pay Vlade, Walton, and Gentry...after their services are no longer desired.

Does this make sense to you?

And by the way, I am certainly not a Monte "hater"...I don't even know why people would use this word in context to possibly extending Monte. Of course, I want the Kings to be sucessfull. I understand the hopes, and also, realize the hype. However, I want to see the W's before I would extend.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.