MLB Thread - 2022

SLAB

Hall of Famer
He's still young; Give him time.
He’s 25. Obviously not old, but he isn’t some super young gun either by prospect standards. He’s never really wow’d in the minors. He isn’t going to magically learn how to hit at the majors, especially with him in his own head like he isn’t now.

Last edited:

SLAB

Hall of Famer
The Giant have called up the catcher that they traded Dubon for because Casali went to the concussion DL.

He’s a 26 year old who’s career milb average is .219

He’s starting instead of Bart. Lmao

Defend Joey Bart. I dare you.
86 PA this year. The strikeouts have not been pretty, absolutely. But the glove has been good, and when he does manage to make contact with the ball, it goes a long way. 14% BB rate is elite for any position, especially a catcher.

We'll talk after 600+ PA. Still not an amazing sample, but should give us a more clear baseline of where he's at as a player. I just refuse to believe his 45% K's hold up over long-term. And if it does... then yeah he's dust. And with his pedigree, you just don't can him right away. It's like an NBA rookie that struggles in his first 15 games and writing him off of ever being anything.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Yikes… injuries to Belt and LaMonte have made this lineup useless. Just too many holes to make up for a mediocre pitching staff.

I LOVE BASEBALL!
Although it might not seem like it to those close to me, I actually consider myself to be a bigger baseball fan than I do a basketball fan.

If I had to rank my favorite sports to watch (in order), my list would look as follows:

1. Baseball (MLB)
2. Hockey (NHL)
3. Football (NFL)
4. Soccer (MLS and International Competition)
5. Basketball (NBA)

The problem with that list, and to expand on my first point, most would actually think that what I have listed as number 5 is actually number 1. But that is only because I lived in a city (well, technically near it) that, for the longest time, ONLY had an NBA team. So I used to go to games, watch them on TV, and purchase their gear, amongst other things.

But, I actually VERY MUCH enjoy watching any of the other 4 sports on my list at any given time over the one at number 5. And, yes, it partly has to do with the simple fact that the league has taken a dramatic turn in a different direction than what I was used to when I was growing up.

90s basketball, in my honest opinion, was some of the greatest SPORTS I've ever witnessed in my entire life. Those games were (and still are) the way basketball is always supposed to be played. The league has become way too much of a "player's league". No one wants to dish out a hard foul anymore. Because they all know that if they do, they're either getting a double technical, or will be suspended for a period of time. 90% of the junk that is called a foul today would NEVER pass the test back then, and 90% of what wasn't called a foul back then would NEVER pass the test today (as a matter of fact, a lot of those things would result in flagrant fouls today).

It's very sad to see how far the league has declined since the 90s. And I just hope and pray that I am able to see that style of basketball again in my life. I am not holding my breath, though.

Baseball, to me, is far more enjoyable these days. And, no, I am not saying that because my Giants have been pretty darn successful over the past 10-15 years. I can probably turn on a random baseball game during the middle of the regular season and probably feel confident that I would enjoy watching that way more than I would game 1 of the NBA Finals.

And don't even get me started on postseason baseball. That craps all over postseason basketball ANY DAY OF THE WEEK. Postseason hockey as well...Craps over postseason basketball.

I'm not sure, however, out of both hockey and baseball, which postseason craps over the other. I consider both to be at the top of my list (maybe even 1a and 1b).

A great soccer match (especially at the international level) also craps over any form of postseason basketball.

Oh, and the World Cup...Much better than postseason basketball as well.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
I’m largely with you! I have football ahead of baseball, but only barely. I can watch any NFL football game at any time, while with baseball I’ll pretty much stick to my team and my team only but I’ll watch every single inning of every single game if time allows. It’s also the one sport I’ll shell money out for to go to SF.

If the Kings had left years ago, I’d have been done with NBA and never looked back. The style of play, the absolute catering to and coddling of superstars. It’s an annoying product to watch. Especially when you have a team that never has a chance to get those perks.

Football
Baseball
—large gap—
Basketball
—large gap—
Playoff hockey, if the Sharks are good.

Hockey’s freakin’ intense! Even the most casual fan that I am can barely take Playoff OT hockey. That has to be absolutely agonizing for die-hards!

Also I don't think you can remove Junis from the rotation at this point. Gone at least 5 IP in all 5 of his starts, not walking anybody, doing a great job at inducing soft contact. He looks like this years gem that we found off the street.