Kings HIRE Alvin Gentry

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
What project was this, if you don't mind me asking?
During the heat of the Kings arena saga, Crown Downtown (including Mike Tavares, the Captain, and myself, among a few others) had started assembling research data, filming interviews with various folks related to the Kings and the City of Sacramento, etc., for use in making a film about the need for a new arena in Sacramento. Ham came to us to "help", then promptly "took" the research and video work we had already done and used it (along with follow-up work he did "independently") to made Small Market, Big Heart, which definitely wasn't the project we had set out to do (or had discussed with those we were interviewing). He threatened to sue Mike (the leader of Crown Downtown) when we demanded he stop hijacking our project and return everything we had done so far for us to use. He then slapped the "Here We..." theme into it as well (which was part of another group's work - Crown Downtown was about education and supporting the City Council, etc., using #BiggerThanBasketball to show all the community benefits of a new facility).

Basically, he came in and hijacked our work to make his pet project and threatened us when we demanded he stop. By the time we knew what he was actually doing with all the work we had assembled it was too late to do anything.

It's all water under the bridge now, and with the arena in place it doesn't "matter" anymore, but that doesn't mean I can't hold a grudge for all the ****** stuff he did.

Edit - It's been like 10 years now, or whatever, since all this happened. The above is my recollection on how it all played out. I remember at first being glad for the help given the size of the project, but the finished product was definitely not turning out as what we were shooting for and it all went south at the end.

Last edited:
During the heat of the Kings arena saga, Crown Downtown (including Mike Tavares, the Captain, and myself, among a few others) had started assembling research data, filming interviews with various folks related to the Kings and the City of Sacramento, etc., for use in making a film about the need for a new arena in Sacramento. Ham came to us to "help", then promptly "took" the research and video work we had already done and used it (along with follow-up work he did "independently") to made Small Market, Big Heart, which definitely wasn't the project we had set out to do (or had discussed with those we were interviewing). He threatened to sue Mike (the leader of Crown Downtown) when we demanded he stop hijacking our project and return everything we had done so far for us to use. He then slapped the "Here We..." theme into it as well (which was part of another group's work - Crown Downtown was about education and supporting the City Council, etc., using #BiggerThanBasketball to show all the community benefits of a new facility).

Basically, he came in and hijacked our work to make his pet project and threatened us when we demanded he stop. By the time we knew what he was actually doing with all the work we had assembled it was too late to do anything.

It's all water under the bridge now, and with the arena in place it doesn't "matter" anymore, but that doesn't mean I can't hold a grudge for all the ****** stuff he did.
@Capt. Factorial a little late, but can you confirm?

I kid. But seriously, that's messed up. I feel bad for Ham because of all the crap people give him but this makes it hard to have any empathy for him going forward. Is that the same video that Carmichael Dave streamed one time and one time only?

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
@Capt. Factorial a little late, but can you confirm?

I kid. But seriously, that's messed up. I feel bad for Ham because of all the crap people give him but this makes it hard to have any empathy for him going forward. Is that the same video that Carmichael Dave streamed one time and one time only?
No. That's Down in the Valley, an ESPN production that won't get shown because it has KJ in it prominently and immediately prior to it being released there was some controversy on KJ's part.

Which is really stupid. Put a freaking disclaimer on the front of the video and let it be shown.

No. That's Down in the Valley, an ESPN production that won't get shown because it has KJ in it prominently and immediately prior to it being released there was some controversy on KJ's part.

Which is really stupid. Put a freaking disclaimer on the front of the video and let it be shown.
that’s actually not 100% correct, the KJ accusations from a decade or more prior were rekindled before it was supposed to air. That’s why it was killed.

hrdboild

Hall of Famer

Edit - It's been like 10 years now, or whatever, since all this happened. The above is my recollection on how it all played out. I remember at first being glad for the help given the size of the project, but the finished product was definitely not turning out as what we were shooting for and it all went south at the end.
Well there's really no gray area here, that is just willfully abusive behavior. I do vaguely recall reading about some of this when it happened. It was a time of heightened emotions for all of us but there's no excuse for stealing someone else's property, especially when the time to make it has been generously donated in the interest of providing a community service. I fully understand why some of you are still angry with James Ham.