Bajaden's early 2022 Mock Draft: Don't bet money on it!

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
I really like Eason, but I'll be stunned if he ends up in the top five. His outside shot has improved as the year has gone on, but he still has a lot of work to do in that area. There's no way I would take him over any of the players I have in my top eight. Smith, Holmgrem, Banchero, Ivey, Davis, Griffin, Murray, and Mathurin. However, I can see him going as high as nine. It's all in the eye of the beholder and the team needs. There's always a couple of surprises every year. I think Jemery Sochan will surprise some people. He knows how to play the game. Not flashy, but always in the right place. That's what I love about Murray. He is such a smart player. Great help defender. Knows when to cut. Sets great picks. Is a good passer and has decent to good handles. Murray is one of those players that will be a better NBA player than he was a college player. But I digress!
Part of the reason I'm so high on Eason is that he's getting to the line like crazy. His shooting splits on the season are up to .519/.371/.787 and his free throw rate is up in D Wade territory. I see hidden value there on the offensive end in addition to his defense which is where most of his value comes from (he's second to Chet Holmgren in Defensive Rating).

I agree it would be a surprise if Eason moves up into the top 5 but Scottie Barnes went 4th overall last year despite his atrocious three point and free throw shooting so I don't think it would be unprecedented. If I'm a GM, I would feel good that I know what Eason is going to do when he gets in the league. I don't know what role there is for Banchero other than leading scorer on a lottery team and I also have questions about Davis (high volume low efficiency scorer?) and Griffin (a high lotto pick for a spot-up shooter?). Bottom line is that's all eye of the beholder stuff though. It really just matters who is drafting top 5 and what type of prospects they prefer.

This kid has a great feel for the game and a competitive spirit. He has to work on his defense, but the tools are there. I think he can be a starting shooting guard for a long time in the NBA.
There are a lot of intriguing players that will go later in the draft. Wouldn’t mind picking up a first in the 20s and drafting two of the following in the late first, early second: Jalen Williams, Jalen Clark, Mathew Mayer, Jaime Jacquez, Johnny Juzang.

Williams and Clark are both built like OG Anounby. Williams with the intriguing creation while Clark is a point of attack bulldog (guards 1 to 5), who does the non-stat sheet dirty work on offense (screens, passing, running). Mayer can play stretch 4. Jacquez is an all around beast. And Juzang is a scorer.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Part of the reason I'm so high on Eason is that he's getting to the line like crazy. His shooting splits on the season are up to .519/.371/.787 and his free throw rate is up in D Wade territory. I see hidden value there on the offensive end in addition to his defense which is where most of his value comes from (he's second to Chet Holmgren in Defensive Rating).

I agree it would be a surprise if Eason moves up into the top 5 but Scottie Barnes went 4th overall last year despite his atrocious three point and free throw shooting so I don't think it would be unprecedented. If I'm a GM, I would feel good that I know what Eason is going to do when he gets in the league. I don't know what role there is for Banchero other than leading scorer on a lottery team and I also have questions about Davis (high volume low efficiency scorer?) and Griffin (a high lotto pick for a spot-up shooter?). Bottom line is that's all eye of the beholder stuff though. It really just matters who is drafting top 5 and what type of prospects they prefer.
I don't disagree with much of what you said. I think in the case of Scottie Barnes, he was more skilled overall than Eason is, but I can see the comparison as a good comp, and as you said, it's about who is drafting. In the case of Johnny Davis, the reason he's a high volume shooter is because there's no one else on his team that's capable. He ultimately is the offense for his team, and as a result, he's also the focus of the other teams defense. So the majority of his shots are contested, therefore lower efficiency. I also think that Griffin is more than a spot up shooter.

Last edited:
I don't disagree with much of what you said. I think in the case of Scottie Barnes, he was more skilled overall than Eason is, but I can see the comparison as a good comp, and as you said, it's about who is drafting. In the case of Johnny Davis, the reason he's a high volume shooter is because there's no one else on his team that capable. He ultimately is the offense for his team, and as a result, he's also the focus of the other teams defense. So the majority of his shots are contested, therefore lower efficiency. I also think that Griffin is more than a spot up shooter.
I've heard a lot of pundits say Wisconsin would be a NIT team without Davis. Do you think that's true? From the games I've watched, it seems to be the case with how much of a focus he is of the offense.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Baja, from what I gather your list above is what you predict for the draft. My question is, who is *your* top 5 in this draft. Forget about what you think teams will draft.

Keegan with another big game in the first round of the Big Ten tourney. 18 points at half time in a 115 point record setting outburst for Iowa. NW is not a good team however so we will see how he fairs against the next level.

I really like Eason, but I'll be stunned if he ends up in the top five. His outside shot has improved as the year has gone on, but he still has a lot of work to do in that area. There's no way I would take him over any of the players I have in my top eight. Smith, Holmgrem, Banchero, Ivey, Davis, Griffin, Murray, and Mathurin. However, I can see him going as high as nine. It's all in the eye of the beholder and the team needs. There's always a couple of surprises every year. I think Jemery Sochan will surprise some people. He knows how to play the game. Not flashy, but always in the right place. That's what I love about Murray. He is such a smart player. Great help defender. Knows when to cut. Sets great picks. Is a good passer and has decent to good handles. Murray is one of those players that will be a better NBA player than he was a college player. But I digress!
Yep Eason has to fix his shot mechanics but you don’t shoot .805 from the line without having Excellant hand eye coordination. You can fix shot mechanics but you can’t fix hand eye.

He is one to watch and might be a great fit for the Kings.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Ok, here is my end of the season revised mock draft. It has some significant changes, but not much at the top. Once we know exactly where everyone is picking and can take team needs into consideration, I'll do a final one. So with no further ado:

1. Chet Holmgren: C/PF, 7'0", 195 lb's, 7'5" wingspan, Freshman, Gonzaga. Unicorn is the most used word describing Holmgren. He's one of the most unusual players to come down the pike in a long time. He projects to be a difference maker on defense. He has a defensive rating of 78.7.

2. Jabari Smith: PF, 6'10", 220 Lb's, 7'1" wingspan, Freshman, Auburn. Great shooter from three and mid-range. Good rebounder. Needs to work on his handles, and his post game. I think were seeing just the tip of the iceberg with Smith. Great upside!

3. Paolo Banchero: PF, 6'10", 250 Lb's, Wingspan N.O. Freshman, Duke. Very skilled big man who can make difficult passes. Good mid-range shooter and skilled post player with great foot work. Probably needs to rebound better and improve his 3pt shot.

4. Jaden Ivey: PG/SG, 6'4", 200 Lb's, 6'9" wingspan, Sophomore, Purdue. Explosive player who will be one of the fast players in the NBA. Decent to good 3pt shooter whose average started diving as the season progressed. Can get to the basket at will and is a good passer.

5. Keegan Murray: PF/SF, 6'9", 225 Lb's, 6'11" wingspan, Sophomore, Iowa. Good athlete who is a 3 level scorer. Good defender with a DTrg of 92.7. Needs to work on his passing skills, but is a good rebounder with a nose for the ball. I like him better than Banchero. Well see!

6. Bennedict Mathurin: SF/SG, 6'7", 210 Lb's, Wingspan N.O., Sophomore. Arizona. Smooth graceful athlete who plays with a bit of an edge. Definitely an above the rim player who runs the floor. Good defender with a DTrg of 89.5. Decent 3pt shooter who scores at all 3 levels.

7. A. J. Griffin: SF, 6'6", 222 Lb's, 7'0" wingspan, Freshman, Duke. Terrific 3 pt shooter who can also attack the basket on closeouts. He doesn't look quite as athletic as he did prior to his injury. He plays as though he's restricted by Duke's system. Decent to good defender.

8. Shaedon Sharpe: SG, 6'6", 200 Lb's, Windspan N.O., Freshman, Kentucky. Well all I know about Sharpe is from watching his highschool film, and while some of it is impressive, it's still highschool. I'm sure some team will take him in the lottery, so I had to put him somewhere. Thus!

9. Johnny Davis: SG, 6'5", 196 Lb's, Wingspan N.O., Sophomore, Wisconsin. Davis had a ridiculous usage rate of 32.5. I think his minutes, usage rate, and being the focus of the other teams defense took it's tole on Davis. I think as the year went on, he ran out of steam. I still like him!

10. Jeremy Sochan: SF/PF, 6'9", 230 Lb's, 6'11" wingspan, Freshman, Baylor. Sochan is a fast riser in the mocks. It took a while, but everyone finally realized how good a player he is. Needs to improve his 3 pt shot, but his form is good. Very good defender. Sneaky quick! Good rebounder.

11. Jalen Duren: C, 6'11", 250 Lb's, 7'5" wingspan, Freshman, Memphis. Can make his living at first playing defense. Offensively he's very limited to being a rim runner and offensive put backs along with alley oops. If he can develop a game away from the basket, he could be special.

12. Ochai Agbaji: SG, 6'5.5", 214 Lb's, 6'10" wingspan, Senior, Kansas. If Agbaji was a Freshman he would be a top 5 pick. He's a good athlete. Very good defender with a DRtg of 99.0. He shot over 40% from three. Decent passer. He needs to tighten his handles a bit. Potential starter!

13. Tari Eason: PF, 6'8", 215 Lb's, Wingspan N.O., Sophomore, LSU. Eason got better as the year wore on. He had a USG% of 31.8, which is high! He shot a respectable 36% from three. He's a terror defensively, creating havoc all over the floor. He had a DTRG of 83.2. High ceiling player..

14. Ty Ty Washington: PG/SG, 6'3", 197 Lb's, Wingspan N A., Freshman, Kentucky. I like Ty and his upside. He played out of position most of the year, and that, along with his injury, it threw some shade on his game. Shot 36% from three, and he's a deadly mid-range shooter. Good passer!

15. Dyson Daniels: PG/SG/SF, 6'8", 199 Lb's, 6'11" wingspan, 19 years old, G-League Ignite. Another fast riser. It's reported that he's grown 2 inches to 6'8", which could move him up some boards. Good athlete, and terrific defender. Creative passer. Needs to improve his 3 pt shot.

16. Malaki Branham: SG, 6'5", 180 Lb's, 6'11" wingspan, Freshman, Ohio St. Don't sleep on this guy. Good athlete who can really pass the ball. He shot 41% from three on over 3 attempts a game. He can score from anywhere on the floor. Needs to improve defensively, but he can play.

17. E. J. Liddell: PF/SF, 6'7", 240 Lb's, 7'0" wingspan, Junior, Ohio St. Liddell isn't your traditional player with the right size and length. But he's very talented, too talented not to be a first rd pick. He's a good on ball defender and terrific weakside help defender. And he can shoot the ball.

18. Kendall Brown: SF, 6'8", 205 Lb's, Wingspan N.O., Freshman, Baylor. Sort of a disappointing year after getting off to such a great start. The talent is there and that's why he's still going near lottery in the 1st rd. He needs to become more aggressive offensively to take it to the next level.

19. Mark Williams: C, 7'0", 242 Lb's, 7'7" wingspan, Sophomore, Duke. I thought that Williams was the best center in the draft not counting Holmgren. He can guard the ball on the perimeter, and he defends the rim. He needs to improve offensively, but he can find a role right now.

20. Nikola Jovic: PF/SF, 6'10", 209 Lb's, Wingspan N A., 18 years old, K.K. Mega. I did get to see him play. Hated the uni's, but that aside, he looks like he's going to be a good shooter. He has good passing ability. He's a better athlete than I thought he would be. Defensively, don't know.

21. Christian Braun: SF/SG, 6'7", 218 Lb's, Wingspan N A., Junior, Kansas. Braun was Agbaji's running mate. I really like Braun. He has a non stop motor and he plays with an edge. Good shooter and good defender. Better passer than I thought he would be. Glue guy!

22. Marjon Beauchamp: SF, 6'7", 185 Lb's, Wingspan N A, 20 years old, G-League Ignite. With Beauchamp your betting he'll develop his 3 pt shot, if so, you've got yourself a hell of a player. Not great stats, but remember, they were playing grown men who are hungry to play in the NBA.

23 Jaden Hardy: SG, 6'5", 185 Lb's, 6'10" wingspan, 19 years old, G-League Ignite. Hardy didn't have the year he expected. Even though he was playing against professional players, he got out played by some of his teammates. I still think he can be a player, but it might take some time.

24. Walker Kessler: C, 7'1", 245 Lb's, Wingspan N A, Sophomore, Auburn. If you draft Kessler your betting you can hide him from having to defend on the perimeter. He's a terrific rim protector, and a good rebounder. Think Gobert! I'm not sold on his 3 pt shot just yet .

25. Trever Keels: SG, 6'4", 221 Lb's, Wingspan N A, Freshman, Duke. With Keels your betting on upside. He's built like a linebacker and he's a very good defender. He didn't shoot the ball well, but got to the basket. He's a good passer. Could be a sleeper at this point in the draft.

26. Wendell Moore: SG, 6'5", 216 Lb's, Wingspan N A, Junior, Duke. Moore is a very good basketball player and probably a bargain at 26. Very good shooter, shot 41.3% from three. He played well in the tournament and likely cemented himself into the first round.

27. Caleb Houstan: SF, 6'8", 205 Lb's, Wingspan N A, Freshman, Michigan. I still think there's a player inside Houstan. He has his moments! His overall shooting percentage was poor, but he was respectable from three at 35%. Once again, your betting on upside.

28. Patrick Baldwin: SF, 6'9", 220 Lb's, Wingspan N A, Freshman, Milwaukee. I'm being kind keeping him in the first round because he's done nothing to deserve it. They keep saying he's a good shooter, but he shot 26.6% from three, and a paltry 34.4% overall. I don't see it!

29. Blake Wesley: SG, 6'5", 185 Lb's, Wingspan N A, Freshman, Notre Dame. If Wesley can become consistent with his outside shot, he has a place in the NBA. He has the tools! Good passer and defender. Give him a couple of years and you might have something.

30. Hyunjung Lee: SF/SG, 6'7", 210 Lb's, Wingspan N A, Junior, Davidson. Lee is one of my personal favorites. He's a three level scorer who rebounds well for his position. Decent passer with good handles. Smart player! Decent defender who is athletic enough to improve.

Well that's it for now. The lottery is in mid May around the same time as the combine. Be nice to get the exact measurements.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Great stuff Baja. Sharpe is a tough one to slot for sure. I think he's the type of homerun swing Presti/OKC would make.

I don't see McNair gambling on him. He needs win now moves to keep his job IMO. Which is why Murray would be a good bet if he's there when the Kings pick, assuming the don't jump to the top 3.

After rewatching some Duke games I'm higher on Banchero than I was. My issues have always been his outside shot and defense. Scoring bigs with poor defence and a shaky 3 petty much have to be amazing scorers to have a real impact.

But his shot isn't bad and should improve. And while his defence was bad too often for my liking, the times when he was locked in he was really effective against both bigs and wings.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
One other note. I like to look at who I think can vastly outperform their draft slot.

Four 1st round guys that I think have a great chance to do that are:
  • Tari Eason
  • Malaki Branham
  • Kendall Brown
  • EJ Liddell
Eason and Brown need to prove they can consistently hit an outside shot. Eason needs to play more under control and limit fouls & turnovers while Brown needs to be more locked in/consistent on defense.

Branham doesn't have a ton of holes. If his 3P shooting this year is for real, he can be a three level scorer and he looked pretty good on defense at times too. He can be a little selfish with the ball and barely averaged more assists than turnovers but he has the ability to improve as a playmaker.

EJ Liddell is another guy I really like, but I don't think he has star potential. I DO think he'll be a really good glue guy for the right team though, especially if he improves his ballhandling and can be a switchable defender on the next level.

All four of them would be solid fits on the Kings around Fox and Sabonis. Brown intrigues me a lot just due to his ability to cut off ball and the playmaking instincts he's shown. He could be a great low usage wing on a team that already has Fox and Domas with the ball in their hands a lot. Eason was high usage at LSU (partly because of his role off the bench) but I think he could be a similar low usage player who still has a lot of impact on both ends of the court.

Last edited:
One other note. I like to look at who I think can vastly outperform their draft slot.

• Tari Eason
  • Malaki Branham
  • Kendall Brown
Eason and Brown need to prove they can consistently hit an outside shot. Eason needs to play more under control and limit fouls & turnovers while Brown needs to be more locked in/consistent on defense.

Branham doesn't have a ton of holes. If his 3P shooting this year is for real, he can be a three level scorer and he looked pretty good on defense at times too. He can be a little selfish with the ball and barely averaged more assists than turnovers but he has the ability to improve as a playmaker.

EJ Liddell is another guy I really like, but I don't think he has star potential. I DO think he'll be a really good glue guy for the right team though, especially if he improves his ballhandling and can be a switchable defender on the next level.

All four of them would be solid fits on the Kings around Fox and Sabonis. Brown intrigues me a lot just due to his ability to cut off ball and the playmaking instincts he's shown. He could be a great low usage wing on a team that already has Fox and Domas with the ball in their hands a lot. Eason was high usage at LSU (partly because of his role off the bench) but I think he could be a similar low usage player who still has a lot of impact on both ends of the court.
I’m curious how you feel about Poku a couple years later? I believe you were in the draft Poku camp like I was, that is until Hali dropped. He was trash his rookie year and most of this season but started to show unicorn flashes near the end of the year.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’m curious how you feel about Poku a couple years later? I believe you were in the draft Poku camp like I was, that is until Hali dropped. He was trash his rookie year and most of this season but started to show unicorn flashes near the end of the year.
I was never a true believer in Poku, I just thought he represented the biggest home run swing, and the Kings need/deserve some luck.

I still like his long term potential but so far he's offered less rim protection, but more rebounding than I expected. Honestly I was hoping OKC would make a move to draft Sengun (who I was high on) as I thought they would have been a great frontcourt pair.

Long term, if he can be a more consistent/effective outside shooter and continue to develop his playmaking I think he can be a really interesting player. I don't think he has star potential because he can't impose his will on defenses, but he can be a valuable piece of a good team.

Great stuff Baja. Sharpe is a tough one to slot for sure. I think he's the type of homerun swing Presti/OKC would make.

I don't see McNair gambling on him. He needs win now moves to keep his job IMO. Which is why Murray would be a good bet if he's there when the Kings pick, assuming the don't jump to the top 3.

After rewatching some Duke games I'm higher on Banchero than I was. My issues have always been his outside shot and defense. Scoring bigs with poor defence and a shaky 3 petty much have to be amazing scorers to have a real impact.

But his shot isn't bad and should improve. And while his defence was bad too often for my liking, the times when he was locked in he was really effective against both bigs and wings.
I think if the pick is #7 or later, McNair will trade it for the above reason. There is no way this ownership group does not go after him if the Kings stumble early. Kings had the second worse attendance this year and will likely be dead last in season ticket commitments heading into next year.
Wouldn't be surprised at all if the middle manager over pays for John Collins with #7 and maxes Miles Bridges.

bajaden

Hall of Famer

• Tari Eason
  • Malaki Branham
  • Kendall Brown

I won't comment any further on Eason. I think we all know who he is as a player at the moment. I sort of overlooked Branham because of Liddell. I was focused so much on Liddell that I had tunnel vision. My son started pushing me to take a harder look at Branham, and once I did, I was very pleasantly surprised. Offensively he's the whole package. He can score at three levels, and he's a very good passer, which surprised me for a Freshman. He has great size and length for a SG with a reported 6'11" wingspan.

My only concern with Branham was his lack of defense at times. When focused, he showed the ability to defend on ball, but off the ball he sometimes fell asleep. But he's young, and it looks like he has the ability to defend, so hopefully that will correct itself. Personally, I think Branham has star potential. He plays with a rare confidence you don't see often. I like him a lot and if I was going to make a reach on draft day, he would be someone I would consider.

Of all the players you mentioned, Brown has the best bust potential. Strangely he may have the highest upside as well. His lack of aggression on the offensive side of the ball at times really bothers me. There's no doubt that he could make a living with his defense in the NBA. But so could Josh Jackson. I'm not comparing him to Jackson. Jackson simply doesn't have a good feel for the game or a good touch with the ball. I don't think that's Brown's problem. He hesitates on offense, and in the NBA if you hesitate the opportunity is gone. On defense he doesn't think, he just reacts. On offense, except for the occasional close out, he thinks!

If that's correctable, then I see a good career for him.

Do we have examples of players who were average or below on defense in college that turned out to be good or better on that end in the NBA?

I feel like we talk ourselves into a players defensive potential if they “just focus” or “get stronger” and 9 times out of 10 that doesn’t work out.

I don’t want our draft pick to be a question mark on D.

Do we have examples of players who were average or below on defense in college that turned out to be good or better on that end in the NBA?

I feel like we talk ourselves into a players defensive potential if they “just focus” or “get stronger” and 9 times out of 10 that doesn’t work out.

I don’t want our draft pick to be a question mark on D.
Trevor Ariza. Raw, average defender. Became an elite defender in the NBA.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Ok, here is my end of the season revised mock draft. It has some significant changes, but not much at the top. Once we know exactly where everyone is picking and can take team needs into consideration, I'll do a final one. So with no further ado:

1. Chet Holmgren: C/PF, 7'0", 195 lb's, 7'5" wingspan, Freshman, Gonzaga. Unicorn is the most used word describing Holmgren. He's one of the most unusual players to come down the pike in a long time. He projects to be a difference maker on defense. He has a defensive rating of 78.7.

2. Jabari Smith: PF, 6'10", 220 Lb's, 7'1" wingspan, Freshman, Auburn. Great shooter from three and mid-range. Good rebounder. Needs to work on his handles, and his post game. I think were seeing just the tip of the iceberg with Smith. Great upside!

3. Paolo Banchero: PF, 6'10", 250 Lb's, Wingspan N.O. Freshman, Duke. Very skilled big man who can make difficult passes. Good mid-range shooter and skilled post player with great foot work. Probably needs to rebound better and improve his 3pt shot.

4. Jaden Ivey: PG/SG, 6'4", 200 Lb's, 6'9" wingspan, Sophomore, Purdue. Explosive player who will be one of the fast players in the NBA. Decent to good 3pt shooter whose average started diving as the season progressed. Can get to the basket at will and is a good passer.

5. Keegan Murray: PF/SF, 6'9", 225 Lb's, 6'11" wingspan, Sophomore, Iowa. Good athlete who is a 3 level scorer. Good defender with a DTrg of 92.7. Needs to work on his passing skills, but is a good rebounder with a nose for the ball. I like him better than Banchero. Well see!

6. Bennedict Mathurin: SF/SG, 6'7", 210 Lb's, Wingspan N.O., Sophomore. Arizona. Smooth graceful athlete who plays with a bit of an edge. Definitely an above the rim player who runs the floor. Good defender with a DTrg of 89.5. Decent 3pt shooter who scores at all 3 levels.

7. A. J. Griffin: SF, 6'6", 222 Lb's, 7'0" wingspan, Freshman, Duke. Terrific 3 pt shooter who can also attack the basket on closeouts. He doesn't look quite as athletic as he did prior to his injury. He plays as though he's restricted by Duke's system. Decent to good defender.

8. Shaedon Sharpe: SG, 6'6", 200 Lb's, Windspan N.O., Freshman, Kentucky. Well all I know about Sharpe is from watching his highschool film, and while some of it is impressive, it's still highschool. I'm sure some team will take him in the lottery, so I had to put him somewhere. Thus!

9. Johnny Davis: SG, 6'5", 196 Lb's, Wingspan N.O., Sophomore, Wisconsin. Davis had a ridiculous usage rate of 32.5. I think his minutes, usage rate, and being the focus of the other teams defense took it's tole on Davis. I think as the year went on, he ran out of steam. I still like him!

10. Jeremy Sochan: SF/PF, 6'9", 230 Lb's, 6'11" wingspan, Freshman, Baylor. Sochan is a fast riser in the mocks. It took a while, but everyone finally realized how good a player he is. Needs to improve his 3 pt shot, but his form is good. Very good defender. Sneaky quick! Good rebounder.

11. Jalen Duren: C, 6'11", 250 Lb's, 7'5" wingspan, Freshman, Memphis. Can make his living at first playing defense. Offensively he's very limited to being a rim runner and offensive put backs along with alley oops. If he can develop a game away from the basket, he could be special.

12. Ochai Agbaji: SG, 6'5.5", 214 Lb's, 6'10" wingspan, Senior, Kansas. If Agbaji was a Freshman he would be a top 5 pick. He's a good athlete. Very good defender with a DRtg of 99.0. He shot over 40% from three. Decent passer. He needs to tighten his handles a bit. Potential starter!

13. Tari Eason: PF, 6'8", 215 Lb's, Wingspan N.O., Sophomore, LSU. Eason got better as the year wore on. He had a USG% of 31.8, which is high! He shot a respectable 36% from three. He's a terror defensively, creating havoc all over the floor. He had a DTRG of 83.2. High ceiling player..

14. Ty Ty Washington: PG/SG, 6'3", 197 Lb's, Wingspan N A., Freshman, Kentucky. I like Ty and his upside. He played out of position most of the year, and that, along with his injury, it threw some shade on his game. Shot 36% from three, and he's a deadly mid-range shooter. Good passer!

15. Dyson Daniels: PG/SG/SF, 6'8", 199 Lb's, 6'11" wingspan, 19 years old, G-League Ignite. Another fast riser. It's reported that he's grown 2 inches to 6'8", which could move him up some boards. Good athlete, and terrific defender. Creative passer. Needs to improve his 3 pt shot.

16. Malaki Branham: SG, 6'5", 180 Lb's, 6'11" wingspan, Freshman, Ohio St. Don't sleep on this guy. Good athlete who can really pass the ball. He shot 41% from three on over 3 attempts a game. He can score from anywhere on the floor. Needs to improve defensively, but he can play.

17. E. J. Liddell: PF/SF, 6'7", 240 Lb's, 7'0" wingspan, Junior, Ohio St. Liddell isn't your traditional player with the right size and length. But he's very talented, too talented not to be a first rd pick. He's a good on ball defender and terrific weakside help defender. And he can shoot the ball.

18. Kendall Brown: SF, 6'8", 205 Lb's, Wingspan N.O., Freshman, Baylor. Sort of a disappointing year after getting off to such a great start. The talent is there and that's why he's still going near lottery in the 1st rd. He needs to become more aggressive offensively to take it to the next level.

19. Mark Williams: C, 7'0", 242 Lb's, 7'7" wingspan, Sophomore, Duke. I thought that Williams was the best center in the draft not counting Holmgren. He can guard the ball on the perimeter, and he defends the rim. He needs to improve offensively, but he can find a role right now.

20. Nikola Jovic: PF/SF, 6'10", 209 Lb's, Wingspan N A., 18 years old, K.K. Mega. I did get to see him play. Hated the uni's, but that aside, he looks like he's going to be a good shooter. He has good passing ability. He's a better athlete than I thought he would be. Defensively, don't know.

21. Christian Braun: SF/SG, 6'7", 218 Lb's, Wingspan N A., Junior, Kansas. Braun was Agbaji's running mate. I really like Braun. He has a non stop motor and he plays with an edge. Good shooter and good defender. Better passer than I thought he would be. Glue guy!

22. Marjon Beauchamp: SF, 6'7", 185 Lb's, Wingspan N A, 20 years old, G-League Ignite. With Beauchamp your betting he'll develop his 3 pt shot, if so, you've got yourself a hell of a player. Not great stats, but remember, they were playing grown men who are hungry to play in the NBA.

23 Jaden Hardy: SG, 6'5", 185 Lb's, 6'10" wingspan, 19 years old, G-League Ignite. Hardy didn't have the year he expected. Even though he was playing against professional players, he got out played by some of his teammates. I still think he can be a player, but it might take some time.

24. Walker Kessler: C, 7'1", 245 Lb's, Wingspan N A, Sophomore, Auburn. If you draft Kessler your betting you can hide him from having to defend on the perimeter. He's a terrific rim protector, and a good rebounder. Think Gobert! I'm not sold on his 3 pt shot just yet .

25. Trever Keels: SG, 6'4", 221 Lb's, Wingspan N A, Freshman, Duke. With Keels your betting on upside. He's built like a linebacker and he's a very good defender. He didn't shoot the ball well, but got to the basket. He's a good passer. Could be a sleeper at this point in the draft.

26. Wendell Moore: SG, 6'5", 216 Lb's, Wingspan N A, Junior, Duke. Moore is a very good basketball player and probably a bargain at 26. Very good shooter, shot 41.3% from three. He played well in the tournament and likely cemented himself into the first round.

27. Caleb Houstan: SF, 6'8", 205 Lb's, Wingspan N A, Freshman, Michigan. I still think there's a player inside Houstan. He has his moments! His overall shooting percentage was poor, but he was respectable from three at 35%. Once again, your betting on upside.

28. Patrick Baldwin: SF, 6'9", 220 Lb's, Wingspan N A, Freshman, Milwaukee. I'm being kind keeping him in the first round because he's done nothing to deserve it. They keep saying he's a good shooter, but he shot 26.6% from three, and a paltry 34.4% overall. I don't see it!

29. Blake Wesley: SG, 6'5", 185 Lb's, Wingspan N A, Freshman, Notre Dame. If Wesley can become consistent with his outside shot, he has a place in the NBA. He has the tools! Good passer and defender. Give him a couple of years and you might have something.

30. Hyunjung Lee: SF/SG, 6'7", 210 Lb's, Wingspan N A, Junior, Davidson. Lee is one of my personal favorites. He's a three level scorer who rebounds well for his position. Decent passer with good handles. Smart player! Decent defender who is athletic enough to improve.

Well that's it for now. The lottery is in mid May around the same time as the combine. Be nice to get the exact measurements.
I always appreciate your very thorough draft rundowns @bajaden . Out of curiosity... I know you also like Oscar Tshiebwe since you've written about him before and said as much. Did you not include him because you don't think he's a first round pick or because you expect him to return for his senior season at Kentucky instead of entering the draft?

I always appreciate your very thorough draft rundowns @bajaden . Out of curiosity... I know you also like Oscar Tshiebwe since you've written about him before and said as much. Did you not include him because you don't think he's a first round pick or because you expect him to return for his senior season at Kentucky instead of entering the draft?
I think he will go back to school. If he is not a first round pick, he can likely make more money staying at Kentucky.

Dyson Daniels is the guy that I can see breaking into the top 10. If he measures out close to 6’8” and puts in the work to improve his 3 - he’d be a really nice prospect. The D is already there and he can make plays for others.

I could see a case for him at #6 (based on Baja’s rankings - which are awesome).

bajaden

Hall of Famer
My gut was telling me that he was going to return to Kentucky, and of course he did. Yeah, I love what Tshiebwe brings to the table. He's sort of a unique player and I don't think he would be a good fit on every team, but if your in need of the skills he has, he brings them in spades. If Oscar can develop some game away from the basket, then he's an entirely different player, and to be honest, since he's on Kentucky, it's possible he has some of those skills but hasn't been able to show them. When Calipari decides your a center, he puts a chain around your ankle and locks you into the post. Just ask Cousins, Kat, and AD!

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Wendell Moore anyone?
Moore came in to his freshman year really hyped up, and was just a massive disappointment. Seemed to turn it around late in his sophomore year, and this year had a really nice season. He's super young for his class so that might have something to do with it. Anyway his passing really picked up this year and Duke had him running the offense a lot of the time. He's not a PG, but nice to have that passing out of the wing. He may struggle a bit to play the three but his wingspan should help.

He does a little bit of everything and I think he's going to have a nice solid career, but unlikely he ever really sniffs being an all-star. At 7/8 he's probably a bit of a reach, but if we trade down or land another pick in the mid-teens I think he's a great option.

Barring winning a top lotto pick, I'm at the point of either trading the pick for a proven vet, or trying to trade down and get solid roleplayers like Moore and Liddell

Moore came in to his freshman year really hyped up, and was just a massive disappointment. Seemed to turn it around late in his sophomore year, and this year had a really nice season. He's super young for his class so that might have something to do with it. Anyway his passing really picked up this year and Duke had him running the offense a lot of the time. He's not a PG, but nice to have that passing out of the wing. He may struggle a bit to play the three but his wingspan should help.

He does a little bit of everything and I think he's going to have a nice solid career, but unlikely he ever really sniffs being an all-star. At 7/8 he's probably a bit of a reach, but if we trade down or land another pick in the mid-teens I think he's a great option.
In the 20s and afterwards, sure. For me, in the same tier as the guys after the top three and the high upside dudes. Depending on where you grab them, that tier will either have a lot of disappointments or a ton of value.