Is It Time To Turn Over The Reins To Doug Christie?

No.

The last thing you want to do to a young coach without experience is give him the reigns without the opportunity to plan. He needs an off-season to reach out to those with experience and help the team formulate an identity over time. If you fire Gentry now, which would be dumb, you have to bring in a coach with experience with the understanding that he'll probably take over next year.

I think it's too late for a turnaround.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
Nope. Let Gentry waste this season without completely crippling Doug’s potentially ascending coaching career.
You don't hire a Doug Christie and allow an interim tag to cripple him unless you are stupid, which, yeah Kangz. The common sense thing was to give Bobby the chair and let DC be his assistant. That said, Doug is already a better fit for a young teams needs right now. Giving him the last part of the season to get some chemistry and experience was probably his only shot. Now, he'll have to compete with the expectations of getting a "name" this summer. DC being where he's at could have been given the big chair with the idea that if they did hire someone else he goes back to being an assistant. He wouldn't mind it and he can fit on ANY coaching staff. Glue guys are glue guys in life period and can blend into any situation.

The Gentry move was a year too late. You make that move when you have shot to get into the play in last year, see how he does and then work in the summer to build. Monte has managed to literally waste 2 offseasons now.

No! They need to wait till the off season and do a proper, thorough search for a HC.
Which has worked so well for this franchise right? haha. They have a bright young coach that just brought them a summer league title and has a history with the team. This franchise is one of the most consistent at missing the mark by just a bit every time.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Doug recently transferred from play by play to assistant coach. He needs to pay his dues before he is even in the conversation for any type of head coaching gig. If he does get an opportunity, whether it's here or elsewhere, that means that it's warranted. In the meantime, Monte needs to find a winner or nab an assistant off of a winning organization and hope he is the next Mike Malone.

Doug recently transferred from play by play to assistant coach. He needs to pay his dues before he is even in the conversation for any type of head coaching gig. If he does get an opportunity, whether it's here or elsewhere, that means that it's warranted. In the meantime, Monte needs to find a winner or nab an assistant off of a winning organization and hope he is the next Mike Malone.
Uh, word has it that it was either him or Gentry already, lol. After watching Christie fill in, whoops, Kings just missed the mark again! Should have went DC.

all it took was two games to convince you huh?
Not really. Potential versus been around the block and was a personal hire by the coach you just fired did it. My guy was Bobby J, but the choice was apparently Doug or Gentry. Like I said, Doug can realistically be someone you give the interim tag and if it doesn't work, he can go back to being an assistant. That wouldn't nor should it be the case with Gentry. He was hired by Walton. He is basically in a position where he has to overperform just to keep his job. That's an all or nothing affair that is to this point coming up mostly nothing. DC wouldn't have the same pressure and that's a big deal for a crumbling locker room environment when it comes to confidence.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Not really. Potential versus been around the block and was a personal hire by the coach you just fired did it. My guy was Bobby J, but the choice was apparently Doug or Gentry. Like I said, Doug can realistically be someone you give the interim tag and if it doesn't work, he can go back to being an assistant. That wouldn't nor should it be the case with Gentry. He was hired by Walton. He is basically in a position where he has to overperform just to keep his job. That's an all or nothing affair that is to this point coming up mostly nothing. DC wouldn't have the same pressure and that's a big deal for a crumbling locker room environment when it comes to confidence.
Doug will get his opportunity. Bobby has been paying dues for years and years and only this season got his first stint as a head coach in the G-League. Doug has the charisma and positive attitude that he will be liked by his players, the next question is will he or can he be a good coach and not just a mentor.

I think at this point in the season, considering the locker room isn't a huge mess, there's not a lot of reason to give DC the gig now.

The season is basically over and he wouldn't have much time to really put his mark on things, at least not like he would in an ideal scenario (fresh season).

Players could also be moving out here pretty soon.

I'd say let Monte do whatever with player personnel this season in accordance with what fits his vision, then hire the right guy that also aligns with his vision in the off-season.

it happened once before and that was under Vivek
That was when Vivek got the recommendation from someone who was actually good at talent evaluation (jerry west). Since then, he’s been listening to Chris Mullen, vlade divac, and joe dumars. Doesn’t look promising

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
That was when Vivek got the recommendation from someone who was actually good at talent evaluation (jerry west). Since then, he’s been listening to Chris Mullen, vlade divac, and joe dumars. Doesn’t look promising
do you think he would ask Jerry for another recommendation or put his trust in Monte?

I had no idea the logo was giving Vivek advice. Man imagine how good we could have been. West is one of the all time great GMs.

do you think he would ask Jerry for another recommendation or put his trust in Monte?
I don’t think he has the option of asking jerry again. Whether it be because he is an executive on another team or the fact Vivek didn’t really give his recommendation a fair shot and fired Malone way too early. What he should do though is put his trust in Monte and let him do his job instead of getting a recommendation from what he sees as his own jerry west.

The Kings would play hard for the first two games than fall away and be what they have since the Harrison Barnes trade and than the excuses would be you can't hire an inexperienced coach (Gentry has experience) . The garbage roster is not going anywhere. How good has Greg Popovich been since he no longer has 3-4 All Stars surrounded by veterans? He's had losing records 3 straight seasons.

In the words of Brock Lesner coaching on TUF "you can't make chicken salad out of chicken S^&t". The Kings need a good GM to actually construct a roster that can compete and not hand out idiotic max /huge contracts to players who are average at their positions. Doug Christie fixes none of this.

Last edited:

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Yep we need another member of the 02 team to shake things up.
Eh, this is ALMKST an equally bad mentality to “JUST HIRE GOLDEN AGE DUDES!”

You cant deny he’s shown something as a coaching prospect. I think it’s too early to hand the reigns over, but to just shoehorn him as nothing more than 02 nostalgia (SUP VLADE!) is silly.

The funny thing about the Vlade hire is that the role it sounded like he was originally going to be hired for (peacemaker between warring front office/coaching factions and general team ambassador) actually made a lot of sense for him. Then all of the sudden he was in charge of basketball operations. So odd.

Which has worked so well for this franchise right? haha. They have a bright young coach that just brought them a summer league title and has a history with the team. This franchise is one of the most consistent at missing the mark by just a bit every time.
When was the last time the Kings did a proper search for a HC? They have generally taken a guy who was a retread or just suddenly became available.
Right now, Bobby Jackson & Kenny Atkinson would be at the top of my list ( DC needs to pay his dues IMO). I know there are some other top young assistant coaches that should be looked at as well. Theyneed todo their due diligence.