SIMMONS OR SABONIS

Since we’d probably need both to significantly move the needle, I’d pick Simmons, use his current issues as an excuse to let him sit out the rest of the season as we subtly tank into a high draft pick, let him recoup his value next season then sell high and flip him for someone less dramatic that can get his own shot in crunch time.

gunks

Hall of Famer
Since we’d probably need both to significantly move the needle, I’d pick Simmons, use his current issues as an excuse to let him sit out the rest of the season as we subtly tank into a high draft pick, let him recoup his value next season then sell high and flip him for someone less dramatic that can get his own shot in crunch time.
3D chess master over here!

First Simmons trade proposal I like, probably because it doesn’t stake too much on him sticking around.

Bonus points for trading for him to tank rather than chase a play-in elimination.

I don't want Simmons at all. "Max" players who can't shoot, don't interest me
It's nauseating how much some fans care about things like "max". You aren't writing the check for their salary!

And before someone inevitably replies back with some salary cap nonsense --- the KINGS have been terrible for 15 years with overpaid players eating up salary cap space that aren't as talented or impactful as Ben Simmons is. So save it.

I couldn't care less whether Ben Simmons is overpaid for his production or perceived all-star talent level. Neither should any of you.

He's better than anyone else on this team currently. By a lot. Furthermore he can do things at his size that not many others in the league can.

So he's not a clutch scorer, or even a reliable one. So freaking what? Who do the KINGS have now that is? And keep in mind they have several players eating up large portions of the cap. Simmons can play clutch defense, grab clutch rebounds and make clutch passes while someone else on the team takes the clutch shots.

People forget that at one time LBJ wasn't a very good shooter or clutch player, specifically in big postseason games. That's why Dwyane Wade, Ray Allen and even Chris Bosh were on the team. If not for Allen hitting that clutch three against San Antonio to avoid elimination, who knows how things might have turned out for LBJ -- whose confidence was always shaky.

A team can definitely win with Simmons if it is constructed correctly. Meanwhile Sabonis is just a good player, nothing more.

It's nauseating how much some fans care about things like "max". You aren't writing the check for their salary!

And before someone inevitably replies back with some salary cap nonsense --- the KINGS have been terrible for 15 years with overpaid players eating up salary cap space that aren't as talented or impactful as Ben Simmons is. So save it.

I couldn't care less whether Ben Simmons is overpaid for his production or perceived all-star talent level. Neither should any of you.

He's better than anyone else on this team currently. By a lot. Furthermore he can do things at his size that not many others in the league can.

So he's not a clutch scorer, or even a reliable one. So freaking what? Who do the KINGS have now that is? And keep in mind they have several players eating up large portions of the cap. Simmons can play clutch defense, grab clutch rebounds and make clutch passes while someone else on the team takes the clutch shots.

People forget that at one time LBJ wasn't a very good shooter or clutch player, specifically in big postseason games. That's why Dwyane Wade, Ray Allen and even Chris Bosh were on the team. If not for Allen hitting that clutch three against San Antonio to avoid elimination, who knows how things might have turned out for LBJ -- whose confidence was always shaky.

A team can definitely win with Simmons if it is constructed correctly. Meanwhile Sabonis is just a good player, nothing more.
The only 2 “clutch” scorers the kings have are the ones rumored to be traded for him. Fox and HB. They are pretty much our go to guys in the end when we need a bucket. I mean they aren’t consistently clutch but they can create their shot. Buddy can be clutch if we need a game winning shot but probably needs a play drawn up for him but he’s another name mostly thrown in the trade rumor. If we can keep a couple of them and still get simmons that would answer that argument.

LBJ has always been a scorer, unafraid to take shots. He wanted, and wants, the ball in his hands. That was a way different situation than Simmons, who, as of this post, can't even be counted on to make one out of two free throws, or will pass up an open layup.

Sure, Simmons in a vacuum would be great, but his addition creates other issues that currently will not be solvable.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I would trade Fox for Simmons.

I wouldn't trade Fox for Sabonis.
You seriously want a mental case on your team? Come on. This team has been plagued by mental weakness for years now and we want to get to get Simmons? LOL! I can just imagine how the players and coaches would be twisted in knots trying to figure out how to play with him in the 4th quarter in tight games: Give him the ball - he's a good ball handler and passer....NO! Don't give him the ball because if he gets fouled you're screwed! Is he the first option, the second, or the 3rd on your offense? NO! He's the 5th! How's that for your All Star - heaven forbid he gets the ball in crunch time and you need to have a shot made! Heaven forbid he goes to the free throw line! Every Kings fan will have a lump in their throat in those situations. And so will Simmons!

You seriously want a mental case on your team? Come on. This team has been plagued by mental weakness for years now and we want to get to get Simmons? LOL! I can just imagine how the players and coaches would be twisted in knots trying to figure out how to play with him in the 4th quarter in tight games: Give him the ball - he's a good ball handler and passer....NO! Don't give him the ball because if he gets fouled you're screwed! Is he the first option, the second, or the 3rd on your offense? NO! He's the 5th! How's that for your All Star - heaven forbid he gets the ball in crunch time and you need to have a shot made! Heaven forbid he goes to the free throw line! Every Kings fan will have a lump in their throat in those situations. And so will Simmons!
Not gonna gnash my teeth if the Kings acquire Simmons, but, maaaaaaan, that's high-risk. As (I think) @Warhawk has pointed out, it's kinda amazing to me that the great majority of fans weighing in on the To-Simmons-Or-Not-To-Simmons debate completely discount the possibility that Simmons is actually suffering significant mental illness - rather than pretending to - and might not be available to the Kings post-trade either. Surely the Kings would explore that possibility fully before making the deal, but there's a sharp limit to the value of the assurances they can get.

Even if Simmons can recuperate, between the mental and physical rehab, when can he return to close to what he was? And THEN there're all the basketball questions in re "fit," shooting (in)ability, mental toughness, and 4th quarter/crunchtime playability, which I think are very legit. And sounds like if it happens Harris and his contract will come with...oh my.

Last edited:
Not gonna gnash my teeth if the Kings acquire Simmons, but, maaaaaaan, that's high-risk. As (I think) @Warhawk has pointed out, it's kinda amazing to me that the great majority of fans weighing in on the To-Simmons-Or-Not-To-Simmons board completely discount the possibility that Simmons is actually suffering significant mental illness - rather than pretending to be - and might not be available to the Kings post-trade either. Surely the Kings would explore that possibility fully before making the deal, but there's a sharp limit to the value of the assurances they can get.

Even if Simmons can recuperate, between the mental and physical rehab, when can he return to close to what he was? And THEN there're all the basketball questions in re "fit," shooting (in)ability, and mental toughness, and 4th quarter/crunchtime problems, which I think are very legit. And to commit to Harris AND Simmons...oh my.
Yeah I just don't get it. You take away his behaviour this season and you still have a guy that poses significant team building challenges. Wants the ball in his hands but doesn't shoot or finish, can't play off ball or space the court, hasn't improved his skills much at all (has regressed?) over the course of his professional career, and receives a superstar salary. The better Australian on the 76ers is Thybulle. As impactful a defender. Not a great scorer but will actually shoot and move around on the court. Is a team guy. Isn't too important for the national team. Wont get paid 35 - 40 mill a season. Doesn't seem to feel the need to date a Kardashian.

And clearly not even good enough to give them a better record than the Kings in the eastern conference. I honestly think we’d be even worse
I don't know if we'd be worse or not but what we have going on isn't working for sure. The Pacers did make the playoffs 3 out of the 5 years Sabonis was there so that has to count for something.

But if I had my pick, I'd trade everyone for picks. Simmons, Sabonis....don't care. Just get picks and start all over again from the bottom. I think all these trade rumors are just kicking the can down the road on the inevitable rebuild.

Morey just mentioned that his gonna trade Simmons now for a Top 40. Right around where Fox and Sabonis are based on SI rankings at least.

So here's my trade for Morey.

Fox/TT/Damian/Metu and top 3 protected for Simmons/Andre

Gives Philly a lottery pick, a top 40 player, low risk high reward bigs, and an expiring with a touch of a Kardashian in TT.
Kings get Simmons without losing a shooter in Buddy/Hali, still got Davion and Barnes, and a playoffs ready agile big in Andre.

Kings will likely hit a good playoff/play-in run with that roster.