[Game] Kings vs Rockets, 1/16/2022 3pm PT/6pm ET

Status
Not open for further replies.
Despite our horrid team, I've never thought about giving up watching basketball.

But refs, I don't know, I've had many times thinking to myself just what can a fan do? Is it something that due to every team getting more or less the same horrible calls in the end that it is justified? I never can understand.

See? Eric Gordon got smacked on the face and not a single ref saw it?

Is it acceptable? If human refs can't tell all, should alternative options be looked at? Why is it acceptable?

I don't even mind rooting for the losers for a decade, all I care about is that we are losing fair and square.

Tim Duncan got ejected for laughing, Cade earlier for pointing, and Fox literally for a basketball move... are we fans just have to accept that it will be fair at the end of the day and forget about it?

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Ejecting Fox with 8 minutes to play in the 4th felt like a game-deciding call. It wouldn't have been if Tyrese were healthy but nobody else on the Kings can get buckets with regularity in the 4th or create open looks for Buddy.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Wait; we lost?! Lmao I saw on Twitter like a 20-5 run to close the half and being up by 15.

Edit: the 20-5 run only put us up 5. But I’m still laughing. Still totally a playoff team, guys!

Last edited:
I know I'll be in the minority here but I agree with that being a Flagrant 2. Don't expect the NBA to issue any statements saying they got it wrong because that is how they want it adjudicated.

From the NBA rule book:

"Flagrant Foul, Penalty 2 is defined as contact that is unnecessary and excessive."

Fox winds up from behind his body and the follow through, in my opinion, was excessive on a player who was in a very vulnerable position. He ended up landing straight on his tailbone, which can cause serious injury. All of that adds up to "unnecessary and excessive" While Fox did go for the ball and hit a lot of the ball, he also made contact with the offensive player's arms (despite what Kayte said).

There is a zero percent chance that play will EVER be deemed a common foul. It think the argument could be made that it's in between a 1 and a 2 but I think it's a lot closer to a 2, so I'm good with their decision.

Put yourself on the other side of it. Say that was Hali with a breakaway layup and a Rocket's defender did the same thing and he landed hard on his tailbone. My guess is we'd all be advocating for a Flagrant 2.

On a separate point, I kind of like that Fox did that. It shows a little feistiness and a chip on his shoulder. It's opposite of what we saw early in the year.

I know I'll be in the minority here but I agree with that being a Flagrant 2. Don't expect the NBA to issue any statements saying they got it wrong because that is how they want it adjudicated.

From the NBA rule book:

"Flagrant Foul, Penalty 2 is defined as contact that is unnecessary and excessive."

Fox winds up from behind his body and the follow through, in my opinion, was excessive on a player who was in a very vulnerable position. He ended up landing straight on his tailbone, which can cause serious injury. All of that adds up to "unnecessary and excessive" While Fox did go for the ball and hit a lot of the ball, he also made contact with the offensive player's arms (despite what Kayte said).

There is a zero percent chance that play will EVER be deemed a common foul. It think the argument could be made that it's in between a 1 and a 2 but I think it's a lot closer to a 2, so I'm good with their decision.

Put yourself on the other side of it. Say that was Hali with a breakaway layup and a Rocket's defender did the same thing and he landed hard on his tailbone. My guess is we'd all be advocating for a Flagrant 2.

On a separate point, I kind of like that Fox did that. It shows a little feistiness and a chip on his shoulder. It's opposite of what we saw early in the year.
Wind up and hitting someone’s arm rarely is a flagrant though,especially if they made contact with the ball first. Usually it involves contact to the head. Look at the 2 late fouls on bagley in the lakers game. Lebron reached up (wind up) and swung his arm down and hit bagley’s hand. What made this seem worse than a common foul was the fact Matthews was in a vulnerable position. I don’t like the call but can definitely see your point if the league wants to protect the players and errors on the side of caution.

Wind up and hitting someone’s arm rarely is a flagrant though,especially if they made contact with the ball first. Usually it involves contact to the head. Look at the 2 late fouls on bagley in the lakers game. Lebron reached up (wind up) and swung his arm down and hit bagley’s hand. What made this seem worse than a common foul was the fact Matthews was in a vulnerable position. I don’t like the call but can definitely see your point if the league wants to protect the players and errors on the side of caution.
Yep, I think the big difference here is the offensive player was going full-speed and airborne....so vulnerable. The NBA has an example of a F2 that is almost identical to Fox's play, except in their example his is contact to the head which makes it easier. However, I don't think the rule specifies it has to be contact to the head.

Here is their example: https://videorulebook.nba.com/archi...ent-swing-and-hard-contact-to-opponents-head/

Status
Not open for further replies.