Fire Walton

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel like it's only fair to give him some time to work with this unbalanced roster.... However, at the same time I have absolutely no confidence he will figure out what to do with it. Likely this will be another wasted year with Walton and we'll just need to hope we get someone competent next.

I don’t believe he utilizes guys to their strengths, I think his offensive schemes are not good, I also think that he doesn’t take advantage of players/bench when it warrants…..example, Chimezie Metu or Bagley probably was a good matchup vs GS when they played smaller at center instead of going to TT.

As far as unbalanced roster, yeah, I don’t think it’s as bad as people think it is. I mean, many of the teams we play go with 3 guards when they go to the bench. We start full sized Barnes and Harkless except when Mo had to sit. TD is just off to a rough start to the season. But back to Walton, I just don’t think he utilizes guys to their strengths

I don’t believe he utilizes guys to their strengths, I think his offensive schemes are not good, I also think that he doesn’t take advantage of players/bench when it warrants…..example, Chimezie Metu or Bagley probably was a good matchup vs GS when they played smaller at center instead of going to TT.

As far as unbalanced roster, yeah, I don’t think it’s as bad as people think it is. I mean, many of the teams we play go with 3 guards when they go to the bench. We start full sized Barnes and Harkless except when Mo had to sit. TD is just off to a rough start to the season. But back to Walton, I just don’t think he utilizes guys to their strengths
Yeah, it's kind of a balance of all things and you're last statement is already long proven, but that said it's not hopeless I guess. Hopefully Walton and his staff start dialing this in, get their superstar in the best position to succeed and they can carry this long enough that even in a worst case scenario and a midseason Hawks style coaching change is necessary they aren't in too big of a hole or so out of whack chemistry wise that a turnaround is unlikely.

I have not read most this thread. But I don't think I need to make a new thread. just my feeble observations. Fox and Hali don't seem like a good starting combo. It seems to me Hali would be the point guard in this combo because he is more of a facilitator. Fox as the shooting guard Coby Bryant style. I also feel that Hield and Mitchel are not a great combo off the bench because Mitchel is a 3 and D guy and Hield is a great 3 and no D guy. So Fox and Mitchell or Buddy start and Hali and Buddy or Mitchel come off the bench. I think its pretty obvious we need a SF or PF that can shoot as another three point threat. Barnes has been great but another 3 and D would help. We need better ball movement. I know, great observation on my part. I get the no duh award. Endurance or player rotation is a problem. I'm not sure which. As has been said by others.

The starting lineup hasn’t been the problem. It’s the play in the 4th quarter - where half-court execution is paramount. Not having a big man that can facilitate is a problem.
I'd say over Waltons tenure he's pretty much tried every combo you possibly could big and small. Yet, it always seems to be the same story. Maybe not having a big man to facilitate isn't the problem? Maybe it's trying to desperately to involve that in the first place? That said, if he is still trying to push that same mountain he HAS to start playing Len more. Len can actually run his offense.

Outside of Barnes and Fox, Luke is trying to rely on 2 very young, inexperienced guards in Hali and Davion, and some vets who can't stick or get pt on other squads as our win now players.

That being said, Joerger or Malone probably could make something out of this squad.

I was only able to watch the first half today but saw way too much 3 point gunning and folks trying to shoot themselves out of a slump when I know they could have driven for an easy two. As much as I understand the modern game relies on 3 pointers, if you are cold you are cold, get the guaranteed points. That's coaching, right?

Dallas got lucky with the Doncic praying shot and then momentum swing their way. In my opinion, the Kings just can't buy a basket in too many stretches. I feel like this team need more deadly shooters. Buddy Hield is the only one that present a problem but at the same time, I just hate his lack of defense and out of control dribbling. It's important to surround Fox and Haliburton with more deadly shooters (because both of them are playmakers)....i mean we got Barnes and Buddy and that's about it. I am not confident in Harkless and Terrence Davis. If these guys suck at 3, why not give Louis King a try? I thought he's a hell of a shooter in the Summer League. You win games by putting the ball in the basket but the Kings keep missing them. And honestly, I am not sure whey they keep Bagley in the doghouse, if there is something that he need to correct, tell him to correct and let him play. I suspect it's because he's ballhogging and forcing shots rather than let the ball come to him. He is talented and can shoot 3s and help out. It's a waste of talent if you're not going to use him and probably hurt the team for playing guys long minutes. If guys are not making shots, that put pressure on D Fox to make them to get the team back.

I can't complain about the Mavs game. I saw a team that fought hard against a strong defensive team. They were there at the end but Doncic chucked up a half court shot that killed us. I'm all for our team fighting like that. It was a very entertaining game to watch. Hopefully we start winning some of these.
I just don't understand their incessant need to just start jacking up hail mary three pointers at the end of games when they're only down 5 with 1:30 left on the clock. It seems like it's real easy for teams to lock up the Kings offense when they want to. I think they really need a new coach who actually runs and offense instead of just these bare bones half assed attempts at screens on the perimeter. Why does it seem like the Kings are always being switched into mismatches on defense but they're never able to create the mismatches on offense? TT was switched onto Doncic play after play but I don't recall the Kings forcing the Mavs to have their bigs cover Fox very often.

The offense reminds me of a one read quarterback. If that first read on offense doesn't work, they just wing it from there.

I just don't understand their incessant need to just start jacking up hail mary three pointers at the end of games when they're only down 5 with 1:30 left on the clock. It seems like it's real easy for teams to lock up the Kings offense when they want to. I think they really need a new coach who actually runs and offense instead of just these bare bones half assed attempts at screens on the perimeter. Why does it seem like the Kings are always being switched into mismatches on defense but they're never able to create the mismatches on offense? TT was switched onto Doncic play after play but I don't recall the Kings forcing the Mavs to have their bigs cover Fox very often.

The offense reminds me of a one read quarterback. If that first read on offense doesn't work, they just wing it from there.
gotta get hot some time baby! Whoooo!!!

Fire Fox's off-season trainer. If he wasn't so un-Foxy and so much worse than last year this team would easily have a winning record and the Walton discussion would be moot. Draper finally said the ugly words last night: "He looks slow." If McNair announced at the beginning of the season that he just traded Fox - the fastest player in the league - for a 6'3" no-separation Jimmer without a jump shot and the new addition would be starting and playing for 30+ minutes a game, what kind of record would you have predicted then? Coaching schemes and substitution patterns cannot overcome a talent reduction.

The question on which the entire season depends has nothing to do with coaching: How long will it take for Fox to regain his speed and quickness? If he can't do it soon, then the season is a foregone conclusion, imo, regardless of the coach. The hole will be too deep to climb out of.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Fire Fox's off-season trainer. If he wasn't so un-Foxy and so much worse than last year this team would easily have a winning record and the Walton discussion would be moot. Draper finally said the ugly words last night: "He looks slow." If McNair announced at the beginning of the season that he just traded Fox - the fastest player in the league - for a 6'3" no-separation Jimmer without a jump shot and the new addition would be starting and playing for 30+ minutes a game, what kind of record would you have predicted then? Coaching schemes and substitution patterns cannot overcome a talent reduction.

The question on which the entire season depends has nothing to do with coaching: How long will it take for Fox to regain his speed and quickness? If he can't do it soon, then the season is a foregone conclusion, imo, regardless of the coach. The hole will be too deep to climb out of.
Luke Walton has sucked for five seasons as a head coach. Fox has been bad for seven games.

Maybe both things can be true, fault at the coaching level and Fox not being quite right, but you won't have a winning record and even if you do you'll ALWAYS be below your capabilities because of things like that tweet above. PERIOD. If Fox were being used exactly the same way he was last year and still struggling then so be it. He'll need to work through it, but this system has been tweaked again. ON BOTH ENDS. Maybe they'll figure it out, maybe not. Doesn't matter anyway because even if they do we know this is a coach totally capable of changing it up again on the fly. If they go on a 20 game winning streak it's always possible that this guy is going to change it up again, and boom, 20 game losing streak right behind it. 2 steps forward, 2 back.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
The one thing that Luke appears to be good at is cultivating relationships with his players (in other words, the direct opposite of Dave Joerger, who was schematically sound but appeared to have lost the team by the end of his tenure). Ideally, we’d have someone who could do both but we fired Mike Malone so that ended that idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.