Mark Jones named new TV PBP voice

I heard somewhere he'll only be doing about 50% of Kings games? Kinda weird if you asked me... Like do it, or don't do it. If the number is closer to 80% then fair enough.

He took the job so he could be near his daughter going to college.
As reasons to take a job go, I'd have difficulty thinking of a better one.
Considering that we’re talking college and not high school — there are plenty of better reasons to take a job beyond helicoptering your adult kid for 3-5 years as they become more independent and learn to live on their own and take care of themselves.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Considering that we’re talking college and not high school — there are plenty of better reasons to take a job beyond helicoptering your adult kid for 3-5 years as they become more independent and learn to live on their own and take care of themselves.
I feel like reading "helicoptering" into "being near your daughter going to college" says more about you than it does about Mark Jones.

He took the job so he could be near his daughter going to college.
I guess my point is more from the Kings' side of things - why hire a guy to do the job half the time?

FWIW, Mark+Kayte pairing is way better than Kyle+Kayte. More balance. Which makes it suck even more if Mark isn't doing more games.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I'm guessing they couldn't pass up on bringing in one of the bigger names in broadcasting even if it was only part time.
You get the chance to hire one of the top black broadcasters in pro sports after your old announcer resigned over a controversial tweet that many people construed as racist, you do it. Mark Jones is one of ESPN’s top announcers. Last week he called two NBA games and did college football with RGIII pretty much over a 72 hour span.

More importantly he’s a professional that is pretty much beloved by everyone he works with. Did people expect ESPN would just let him eschew their broadcasts to do 82 Kings games a year?