[NBA] Comments that don't warrant a thread (TDOS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which begs the question, if all this info is out there, how come Becky Hammon can't get a head coaching gig but Jason Kidd has just been offered his third?
Ummmm... because she's a woman? But you know this.

Why does Jason Kidd land his third HC gig - over many more deserving coaching candidates of all genders - when his track record includes miserably abusive coaching, domestic abuse, at least one DWI, a credible accusation of rape, and a patchy coaching record?

Shameful.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
There is also an excerpt featuring Larry Sanders getting tortured by Kidd to point of him having both a physical and mental breakdown (he would later go on to quit basketball) but there was a couple of naughty words involved and also the content made me sick so I'm not posting it here.
maybe that's why Larry reverted to marijuana

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
Ummmm... because she's a woman? But you know this.

Why does Jason Kidd land his third HC gig - over many more deserving coaching candidates of all genders - when his track record includes miserably abusive coaching, domestic abuse, at least one DWI, a credible accusation of rape, and a patchy coaching record?

Shameful.
Yeah, that's what I was getting at. It's not surprising, just disappointing.

There is also an excerpt featuring Larry Sanders getting tortured by Kidd to point of him having both a physical and mental breakdown (he would later go on to quit basketball) but there was a couple of naughty words involved and also the content made me sick so I'm not posting it here.
He has always been a colossal pos.

Not sure if this will be available to people outside of Australia, but an Australian network made a documentary about Luc Longley. I think, in part, as a response to his absence from the Last Dance. It's really good quality.

Not sure if this will be available to people outside of Australia, but an Australian network made a documentary about Luc Longley. I think, in part, as a response to his absence from the Last Dance. It's really good quality.

Always liked Luc, and like him even more now. Good man.

And Jordan is a pr*ck. Always has been, very much remains that. *Be Like Mike.* God forbid.

Last edited:
I was hoping he'd stay at Arizona if he wasn't joining the Mavericks. He was big for recruiting recently but I guess he managed to help Lloyd salvage as much as he could during the transfer window.

Rich Paul seems to be really good with steering moderately in demand role players to his all star client's rosters on below market deals. Not sure what all went down here but this sure will be an interesting suit that could have some ramifications in the future.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Rich Paul seems to be really good with steering moderately in demand role players to his all star client's rosters on below market deals. Not sure what all went down here but this sure will be an interesting suit that could have some ramifications in the future.
I have a bit of a hard time seeing how the lawsuit succeeds. With regard to the $70M contract that Noel Bonzi'd himself on, he took bad advice, but it was his own decision. With regard to his subsequent contracts he didn't receive, it will be difficult to prove that those contracts were below Noel's market value.

But I will say this: if the lawsuit does succeed, it would likely have serious unintended consequences that would be in the favor of NBA teams and to the detriment of NBA players. If agents can be penalized millions of dollars for bad strategic advice, or for negotiating anything less than the best possible contract, then the risk in performing these roles would likely be too great for agents to continue doing them. Players would likely be left to formulate their own free agency strategies and negotiate their own contracts, with agents acting only as legal assistants in reviewing the contracts before signature. Teams would take full advantage of this. And Noel's payday would translate into lower player salaries across the board.

I have a bit of a hard time seeing how the lawsuit succeeds. With regard to the $70M contract that Noel Bonzi'd himself on, he took bad advice, but it was his own decision. With regard to his subsequent contracts he didn't receive, it will be difficult to prove that those contracts were below Noel's market value.

But I will say this: if the lawsuit does succeed, it would likely have serious unintended consequences that would be in the favor of NBA teams and to the detriment of NBA players. If agents can be penalized millions of dollars for bad strategic advice, or for negotiating anything less than the best possible contract, then the risk in performing these roles would likely be too great for agents to continue doing them. Players would likely be left to formulate their own free agency strategies and negotiate their own contracts, with agents acting only as legal assistants in reviewing the contracts before signature. Teams would take full advantage of this. And Noel's payday would translate into lower player salaries across the board.
Could be he wanted to take it and they talked him out of it saying he could get more $$$$.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Could be he wanted to take it and they talked him out of it saying he could get more $$$$.
In the case of the $70M deal he was working on with the Mavs, I think that's his argument. He was clearly given bad advice. But the question is whether the agent can be held legally responsible for bad advice when Noel understands the risks he is taking by accepting the QO and does so willingly. Heck, if Noel hadn't gotten injured during his QO year, he might in fact have beaten the $70M contract by a good margin.

There's a lot of talk that Zion could take the QO in year 5 just so he can get the hell out of New Orleans ASAP. While Bagley isn't going to be a high profile FA (most likely) if he stays with the Kings this season and puts together a productive year he may beat Zion to the punch there.

I wonder if Noel succeeds if we'll be less likely to see players Bonzi themselves and just take the sure extensions. This could ultimately benefit teams like Sacramento. But you are right that it is probably hard for him to succeed with this suit, unless there were promises made that harken back to Joe Smith type deals, but this time it is players acting as GMs. Noel was supposed to split and join one of Paul's bigger name teams and then get a payday 2-3 years down the road, but instead got hurt and the team balked, is what I think may be the angle here? Maybe I am reading into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.