2021 Free Agency Mega Thread

Do the Kings make a surprise Free Agency splash?

• Total voters
it's been like 2-3 days though
Right? In 3 days he’s signed Len, resigned harkless, Davis and holmes and will complete the TT trade. That’s not exactly doing “nothing”. It just doesn’t seem like much with 1 or 2 signings a day when you read about 50 signings the first day. Also we didn’t have a crapload of space to sign multiple people to crappy contracts like the rest of the league.

Day 5 of me begging us to sign Jared Vanderbilt.

Still really good options for us to fill the wing void:

Hart (RFA)
Winslow (injury upside swing)
Oubre (Performance rebound swing)

and further down the list

Diallo (athleticism/youth upside swing)
Bonga (Defense, youth, huge wing span swing)
Timothe Luwawu-Cabaorrot: (Really good size, some defensive potential. Not sure if he's actually a shooter or not)
Svi Mykhailiuk (Shooting, good size at the wing, has some playmaking chops. Took a real step back last year, but still just 24 and should profile as a spacer)
Stan Johnson: (basically the "polished" version of Robert Woodard.)

Super boring wing depth that we probably end up signing
James Ennis (Good defender, can swing to the 4, good spacer. productive with limited tools)

Justise Winslow
Day 5 of me begging us to sign Jared Vanderbilt.

Still really good options for us to fill the wing void:

Hart (RFA)
Winslow (injury upside swing)
Oubre (Performance rebound swing)

and further down the list

Diallo (athleticism/youth upside swing)
Bonga (Defense, youth, huge wing span swing)
Timothe Luwawu-Cabaorrot: (Really good size, some defensive potential. Not sure if he's actually a shooter or not)
Svi Mykhailiuk (Shooting, good size at the wing, has some playmaking chops. Took a real step back last year, but still just 24 and should profile as a spacer)
Stan Johnson: (basically the "polished" version of Robert Woodard.)

Super boring wing depth that we probably end up signing
James Ennis (Good defender, can swing to the 4, good spacer. productive with limited tools)
Vanderbilt or Hart. Winslow for the upside but I think that door is closing fast.

Everyone else is basically a coke machine.

Regarding RFAs, players can't sign another team's offer sheet before Friday at 3:01, no? I'm curious if there's some strategy in not leaking an agreement on an offer sheet before they can actually sign it, since that would give the "home team" longer to consider whether or not to match (since I'm assuming that countdown only begins when there's ink to paper).

Justise Winslow

Vanderbilt or Hart. Winslow for the upside but I think that door is closing fast.

Everyone else is basically a coke machine.
I think I'd include Diallo in this list. Still just 23 and he had a fairly solid jump in production this past year, which makes the athletic tools/physical profile (6'5 with 6'11 wingspan) more appealing if he's starting to put it all together. Upped his AST rate, rebound rate, efficiency by 6%, had an elite .421 FTr.

I still think Buddy/Barnes/Picks as perfect fits next to Embiid to maximize him is about as good an offer as they're going to get for Simmons. Despite the Sixers thinking they can dictate their asking price... they really can't. There's no leverage and teams will just happily let the situation play out, get more toxic and if worst comes to worst, let Simmons trot back out there for Philly and ruin the chemistry of one of the best teams in the NBA.

I still think Buddy/Barnes/Picks as perfect fits next to Embiid to maximize him is about as good an offer as they're going to get for Simmons. Despite the Sixers thinking they can dictate their asking price... they really can't. There's no leverage and teams will just happily let the situation play out, get more toxic and if worst comes to worst, let Simmons trot back out there for Philly and ruin the chemistry of one of the best teams in the NBA.
From the Kings' perspective, I think the only way to make the starting lineup work is if the package were Buddy/Bagley/pick(s), leaving the team with:

PG Fox
SG Haliburton
SF [Big Fat Question Mark Who Can Shoot]
PF Barnes
C Simmons

I think Ben Simmons would function best as a center alongside De'Aaron Fox. Simmons would have to let go of his insistence on playing the point, of course, but it would alleviate some of the pressure on him to get more comfortable shooting the ball right away. Playing him at C also creates a dozen kinds of havoc on both sides of the ball. It's mouth-watering stuff, in my opinion.

In this scenario, you've gotta hold onto Harrison Barnes, though. His versatility and shooting become essential if you trade for Simmons. Personally, I was hoping that any possible deal for Simmons would be executed before the draft and before the Kings had to make a decision on Richaun Holmes. As it stands, Fox/Simmons/Holmes can't fit into the same starting lineup, so the Kings would be re-signing Holmes to a hefty backup's contract. That's not ideal.

Alternatively, after drafting Davion Mitchell, I can see the logic in trading Fox for Simmons. It's definitely not my preference, but it probably makes it easier to hold onto Barnes. And I wouldn't necessarily be unhappy if the Kings moved into training camp with a lineup of:

PG Mitchell
SG Haliburton
PF Barnes
C Simmons

or

PG Mitchell
SG Haliburton
SF Barnes
PF [Big Fat Question Mark Who Can Shoot]
C Simmons

or

PG Mitchell
SG Haliburton
SF Simmons
PF Barnes
C [Big Fat Question Mark Who Can Shoot]

Obviously, there's positional flexibility when Barnes/Simmons are in the lineup together. They could play in a few configurations between the 3, 4, and 5, so whatever additional shooting you acquire would dictate the ultimate shape of the starting lineup.

But at this point, I'm probably more interested in a slightly less splashy target like Pascal Siakam, or potentially dealing with Philly for Tobias Harris rather than Simmons. I'd prefer to keep Fox, and I think Siakam or Harris would slot into the starting lineup perfectly after re-signing Holmes.

Alternatively, after drafting Davion Mitchell, I can see the logic in trading Fox for Simmons. It's definitely not my preference, but it probably makes it easier to hold onto Barnes. And I wouldn't necessarily be unhappy if the Kings moved into training camp with a lineup of:

PG Mitchell
SG Haliburton
PF Barnes
C Simmons

or

PG Mitchell
SG Haliburton
SF Barnes
C Simmons

or

PG Mitchell
SG Haliburton
SF Simmons
PF Barnes

Obviously, there's positional flexibility when Barnes/Simmons are in the lineup together. They could play in a few configurations between the 3, 4, and 5, so whatever additional shooting you acquire would dictate the ultimate shape of the starting lineup.

But at this point, I'm probably more interested in a slightly less splashy target like Pascal Siakam, or potentially dealing with Philly for Tobias Harris rather than Simmons. I'd prefer to keep Fox, and I think Siakam or Harris would slot into the starting lineup perfectly after re-signing Holmes.
If you are trading Fox, though, are you also trading Hield? He'd help provide that shooting that you're looking for, and if you are sending both Fox and Hield out you're going to need to take additional salary back from the Sixers.

If you are trading Fox, though, are you also trading Hield? He'd help provide that shooting that you're looking for, and if you are sending both Fox and Hield out you're going to need to take additional salary back from the Sixers.
That's a good question. It's probably Fox/Bagley (and maybe a conditional first rounder) for Simmons, I'd think. Again, this isn't my preference, but it's how I would conceive of such a trade, given the stubbornness of Philly's demands.

Personally, I don't love Hield at the SF, but I think it could probably work when you have the size/versatility of Barnes and Simmons elsewhere in the frontcourt. Of course, my assumption is that Buddy's outgoing either way, and it would probably be a separate deal from any potential Fox for Simmons trade.

I mean, he could be roped into a slightly more complicated trade scenario with Philly, I suppose, something like Simmons/Curry/Maxey for Fox/Hield, or a possible three-team deal that I'm not creative enough to concoct, but I suspect that both teams would want to keep it fairly simple in any Simmons for Fox swap.

Personally, I don't love Hield at the SF, but I think it could probably work when you have the size/versatility of Barnes and Simmons elsewhere in the frontcourt.

Yeah, there definitely would be options, whether you just roll with a Hali/Mitchell/Hield three-guard rotation, or you go small with all three on the court at the same time. Maybe you consider a Bagley for Markannen deal, too, to get a reliable stretch big in the mix.

Holmes-Vandy would be absolute lunacy on defense. Both dudes are dynamite at hedging the perimeter as bigs and Vandy offers tremendous rim protection/rebounding chops to fill in some of Holmes gaps on that end. Just their energy/intensity along with what Mitchell would bring absolutely would change our culture/talent on defense from what we've been the last 15 years.

Offensively, it's a bit sketchy, but who cares? I think Vanderbilt has a chance to be a unicorn defensive big man that plays with 100% energy/hustle. He's great friends with Fox. He can't shoot, but he's not a total stiff with the ball in his hands and has shown transition ball-handling/passing talent. He's excelled as a finisher in the dunker spot, finishing the year with a 61% TS, despite absolutely 0 jumper and a bad FT%. For a team fresh off the worst defensive season in NBA history, that's a gamble worth making.
I really like Vandy, but that line-up would seriously lack outside shooting.

From the Kings' perspective, I think the only way to make the starting lineup work is if the package were Buddy/Bagley/pick(s), leaving the team with:

PG Fox
SG Haliburton
PF Barnes
C Simmons

I think Ben Simmons would function best as a center alongside De'Aaron Fox. Simmons would have to let go of his insistence on playing the point, of course, but it would alleviate some of the pressure on him to get more comfortable shooting the ball right away. Playing him at C also creates a dozen kinds of havoc on both sides of the ball. It's mouth-watering stuff, in my opinion.

In this scenario, you've gotta hold onto Harrison Barnes, though. His versatility and shooting become essential if you trade for Simmons. Personally, I was hoping that any possible deal for Simmons would be executed before the draft and before the Kings had to make a decision on Richaun Holmes. As it stands, Fox/Simmons/Holmes can't fit into the same starting lineup, so the Kings would be re-signing Holmes to a hefty backup's contract. That's not ideal.

PG Mitchell
SG Haliburton
PF Barnes
C Simmons

or

PG Mitchell
SG Haliburton
SF Barnes
C Simmons

or

PG Mitchell
SG Haliburton
SF Simmons
PF Barnes

Fox for Simmons makes more sense because if you have Ben you want shooters.

A line-up of:
Haliburton/ Mitchell
Buddy/ Richardson
Simmons/
Barnes/ Bagley
Holmes / Metu

makes some sense and could do some serious damage

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Monte is a Morey disciple so his thing much like Hinkie will be amassing as many stars/big names as possible so I'm pretty sure Fox wouldn't be going back to the Sixers if at all possible.

gunks

Hall of Famer
Monte is a Morey disciple so his thing much like Hinkie will be amassing as many stars/big names as possible so I'm pretty sure Fox wouldn't be going back to the Sixers if at all possible.
Right? Contending teams are built around 2+ stars.

And I don’t know why we’d want to trade Fox, who’s gotten better every year, is vocally and contractually committed to Sac and just dropped a 25/7 season for a guy who’s afraid to shoot the ball in the post season and hasn’t improved much since his rookie season.

I’m loving all the Buddy/Bags for Simmons trade ideas, but hard pass on shipping out Fox for him.

I don't think I can give up Fox for Simmons. He is a game changing defender and a great passer but those things don't make up for his lack of aggression and shooting issues. If Fox bumps his free throws and 3 numbers up 4-5 percent and he gets to average defensively you are giving up the better player. Fox has improved every year and by a significant margin. He will improve his shot and will be better defensively as the team improves.

Personally if I was the Sixers, I would keep Ben. Unless there is more going on behind the scenes I would try to mend the fence. I would instead trade Harris for Buddy and look to add more scoring and shooting options from the perimeter. They have some nice assets like Thybulle and Maxey. His value isn't going to go down any further considering his age, playmaking and all NBA level defense. I see no reason for them to sell low.