California Classic Day 2

Someone tell Kayte that you can't get a bunch of random guys who have basically never played together before and get them running the princeton offense after a couple practices.
Someone tell Kayte that you can't get a bunch of random guys who have basically never played together before and get them running the princeton offense after a couple practices.
And some people think it's better basketball than the g league!

Kayte and Kyle are the best, worst broadcast team I've ever heard. Kayte just complains the whole time that the team doesn't look cohesive and isn't running enough plays even though it's Summer League, where no one knows each other and everyone is trying to get theirs to try and make a team. Then Kyle will chime in and just say something like "The thing about this guy, is he just knows how to play basketball" without providing any other insight at all.

And some people think it's better basketball than the g league!
Kayte and Kyle are the best, worst broadcast team I've ever heard. Kayte just complains the whole time that the team doesn't look cohesive and isn't running enough plays even though it's Summer League, where no one knows each other and everyone is trying to get theirs to try and make a team. Then Kyle will chime in and just say something like "The thing about this guy, is he just knows how to play basketball" without providing any other insight at all.
I don't know about you guys but I always get excited to watch summer league and then a about quarter into it, reality hits that I'm watching some of the worst basketball ever televised. Only surpassed by Olympic 3vs3 basketball.

To be fair he probably only has their roster and never heard of them.

Every year at this time we are full of hope.
I liked King and Terry last night. Mitchell struggled. Queta is still just raw material.
A lot of guys disappeared.

Was hoping Queta would "show us" more last night, but he did not.

He is a good passer and obviously has talent as a shot-blocker, but if he can't be at least an average rebounder, then I'm not sure how likely he will be to succeed. Think about it, summer league is a perfect opportunity for big men to grab rebounds (all the players chucking up shots/bricks).

The sequence where he was directly under the basket and the Fakers got (what seemed to be five) consecutive offensive rebounds, just deflated any hope of Queta being an average to above avg rebounder for me. He did have 4 reb in almost 12 minutes, so not all hope is lost, but he did not pass the eye test for me.

He is a good passer and obviously has talent as a shot-blocker, but if he can't be at least an average rebounder, then I'm not sure how likely he will be to succeed. Think about it, summer league is a perfect opportunity for big men to grab rebounds (all the players chucking up shots/bricks).

The sequence where he was directly under the basket and the Fakers got (what seemed to be five) consecutive offensive rebounds, just deflated any hope of Queta being an average to above avg rebounder for me. He did have 4 reb in almost 12 minutes, so not all hope is lost, but he did not pass the eye test for me.
he averaged over 10 boards in college he’ll be fine. Not saying he’ll be a star but grabbing rebounds as a legit 7 footer should be ok

I don't think people should expect too much from Queeta. He's athletic, long, and can block shots, but that's about it.

Here's what I saw out of him at Utah State:
Strengths:
  • Length- he's 7'0 with a great wingspan
  • Athleticism - good mobility and can play above the rim. he covers a lot of ground in a short amount of time
  • Shot blocking - he uses his athleticism and timing to protect the rim
  • Some passing potential - had the instincts, but was slow in processing and executing
  • Intensity - can't complain about the motor
  • Willing mid-range shooter - not a good shooter, but he's showing the willingness to take it
Weaknesses:
  • Poor rebounder - doesn't box out and prefers to jump up for rebounds
  • Lack of strength - gets moved surprisingly easily by wings and bigger guards. Will also struggle against legitimate Cs in the paint.
  • Perimeter defense - doesn't offer much there, very flat footed despite his leaping abilities
  • Questionable IQ - I mentioned passing potential above, but he processes things very slow and has poor overall decision making
  • PnR screening - WCS-like where it's very soft and he rolls before he even fully sets it
  • RAW - despite being a 3-year player, he's more of a project
I don't see him contributing heavily this year. I'd say maybe 10-15mins, depending on how the rest of our big men rotation shapes up. I see him more as a project player who can offer a burst of energy in a short stint. Play him too much and you'll see all the weaknesses in his game start to get exploited. Don't want to sound too negative, but he's got solid potential due to his athleticism. There's some untapped potential in there.
After yesterday I'm thinking 100% of his minutes in Stockton & 0 mpg in Sacramento for the near future.

Are you suggesting Kyle is Booger Mcfarland? :D

Lol, you think those guards are passing the ball to big men? They need their shots.

Where were his teammates during that sequence? Anyone else boxing out?