2021 Free Agency Mega Thread

Do the Kings make a surprise Free Agency splash?

• Total voters
Well first of all I’m pretty happy with yesterday’s FA signings. Not sure where we’re at with the Holmes contract but anyways glad to have Len back for toughness.
Over here in Australia I watch a lot of the two guys that like beers Kings podcast. They always appear to have a good buzz on going but still entertaining.
They like the TT trade for Wright, both think he brings something, rebounding mostly, so it’s interesting I’m seeing no love here. My concern is Wright might have been better used as a trade chip along with Buddy say for Tobias Harris.
Obviously we need to address the SF position. I like the arguments for Vanderbilt and curious about the Greek kid Papa…. I have cooled on Oubre after reading these boards. Im also thinking with all our added bigs Barnes and Woodard should fill that need even if PF might be Barnes strength.
It’s been an interesting week, looking forward to the end result.
jiimbob. You are in Australia??? Damm I would have sworn you were from Kentucky.

Wouldn’t Metu and to some extent Jones fit this as well?
They kinda do but to me they're closer to a DaQuan Jeffries type than some of the other guys we've mentioned. They edge more on 2 way contract type guys than they do guys with analytics that jump out and say that this dude might be on the verge of something.

When you look into some of the analytics, you can find players that have good impact stats despite not playing a whole lot. I don't mean good per36 numbers because they went out there in garbage time and put up some stats while no one cared. There's guys like VanVleet, in his 2nd year he only averaged like 8ppg or something like that but his impact stats were better than Fox's are right at this moment. That right there was a sign that this dude is worth taking a gamble on. Someone on here found Chris Boucher before last year. His impact stats weren't as good as VanVleet's but he was ascending each year. Basically showing that his ceiling was most likely way higher than your average G League guy who gets some minutes in the NBA. That was a great find by whoever it was on here.

Jamal is on to something with Vanderbilt although his indicators aren't nearly as good as Boucher or VanVleet. They're much better than Metu, Jones and Davis though. A player like him is worth taking a gamble on over some random vet like TT who will have no impact on the games and no future here. He could wind up being a poor man's Dennis Rodman or he could be Ed Davis but he would be one of, if not the best defender on the team from day 1.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
You really just can't make this stuff up. But hopefully this one is, or simply a miscommunication otherwise.... simply lol.
To be fair not a single mainstream reporter or Kings reporter has backtracked on the Holmes deal talk so I don’t think it’ll ultimately be an issue.

It’s not like the Bogi deal where dudes were already talking about tampering issues within seconds of Woj’s tweet about it.

They kinda do but to me they're closer to a DaQuan Jeffries type than some of the other guys we've mentioned. They edge more on 2 way contract type guys than they do guys with analytics that jump out and say that this dude might be on the verge of something.

When you look into some of the analytics, you can find players that have good impact stats despite not playing a whole lot. I don't mean good per36 numbers because they went out there in garbage time and put up some stats while no one cared. There's guys like VanVleet, in his 2nd year he only averaged like 8ppg or something like that but his impact stats were better than Fox's are right at this moment. That right there was a sign that this dude is worth taking a gamble on. Someone on here found Chris Boucher before last year. His impact stats weren't as good as VanVleet's but he was ascending each year. Basically showing that his ceiling was most likely way higher than your average G League guy who gets some minutes in the NBA. That was a great find by whoever it was on here.

Jamal is on to something with Vanderbilt although his indicators aren't nearly as good as Boucher or VanVleet. They're much better than Metu, Jones and Davis though. A player like him is worth taking a gamble on over some random vet like TT who will have no impact on the games and no future here. He could wind up being a poor man's Dennis Rodman or he could be Ed Davis but he would be one of, if not the best defender on the team from day 1.
Boucher and FVV were just the easiest thing in the world to see and everyone just let the Raptors keep them for cheap. And Nurse for some reason refuses to unleash Boucher for 32+ minutes, but hey. I guess I'm not an NBA head coach for a reason.

Vanderbilt is a little more hidden because the team he played for, he was a 2nd round pick that didn't play for 2 years and Minny yanked around his role last year with McDaniels. The shot is a legit concern (1 FG made outside of 8 feet is almost impossible to believe), but everything else, especially the defensive profile, is off-the charts good. I just don't think Minny matches too with some of their moves they've made (bringing in Prince as a small-ball 4, Nathan Knight on a 2-way, invested a lot of time into McDaniels last year) with their current cap situation.

To be fair not a single mainstream reporter or Kings reporter has backtracked on the Holmes deal talk so I don’t think it’ll ultimately be an issue.

It’s not like the Bogi deal where dudes were already talking about tampering issues within seconds of Woj’s tweet about it.
Yeah, hopefully it's a flat deal, no incentives and easy going. Having an illegal contract isn't the same as tampering though. That's going to hit the news lines because it has real reprecussions like losing draft picks. Plus Holmes re-signing with a team like the Kings isn't going to be lighting up twitter. If something like this is done it's just an example of incompetence or ignorance to whatever rules the NBA has on the particular day. lol. I mean, this stuff all the way around now is so fluid and confusing when it comes to NBA business dealings it's not even funny.

It was explained at the beginning that 55 was a number put out by his agent- “creative rounding” to get the narrative they wanted. Not everything is grand ineptitude on our part. This board is seriously toxic.
I am not way into the twitter culture so maybe this guy is someone, but someone who is not a blue check talking out of their arse, which this person clearly was when you follow their whole tweet thread, is not someone I put stock in.

*also, in case folks don't know, he's a NO blogger/fan and who appears to have a Pelicans based agenda with this signing falling through

Last edited:
It was explained at the beginning that 55 was a number put out by his agent- “creative rounding” to get the narrative they wanted. Not everything is grand ineptitude on our part. This board is seriously toxic.
And waaay too sensitive on the flipside. This board is far from toxic IMO. And when you have a history of ineptitude as a franchisse, the wind is going to blow in that direction when anything goes south, sorry, it just is what it is. And some posters are a little more vitriolic in their disdain but c'mon, even that's probably well warrented at this point haha. That quote said as is the deal would be illegal. The report released yesterday I saw said the creative rounding was somewhere in reality to 52 something. He's saying anything over 46 something can't be done. So... yeah, we'll see. I'm sure it will work out.