2021 Free Agency Mega Thread

Do the Kings make a surprise Free Agency splash?

• Total voters
I still would love to have Luka over anyone else in the 2018 draft but what the hell is going on here that can be explained by anything other than maybe other stars aren't all that interested in being second banana to the guy? Their FO and coaching situation is in a bit of disarray but that is not unrelated.

Obviously this would not be a problem in a FA desert like Sacramento but Dallas is supposed to have that magical zero tax advantage.
NBA players only want to play in Miami, LA and if they feel like slumming it, Brooklyn.

the rest of the league might as well be in the cornfields of Iowa

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Dallas is going to suffer from the same problem Houston suffered during the height of James Harden's powers. There aren't a lot of high usage stars that want to play with another star whose usage rate tops the entire NBA. If it's a chance to win a title with Lebron, some will take it, because Lebron has managed to win a few titles. He's got the kind of clout that matters in the NBA. A guy like Harden hasn't been so fortunate. He hasn't sniffed the Finals yet. And he had to force his way into a "Big Three" because nobody wanted to play with him long-term in Houston.

Likewise, Luka hasn't gotten out of the first round with the Mavericks, and his usage rate squeezes out the possibility of other ball handlers thriving alongside him. What assurances do Lowry or Derozan have of either individual or team success in Dallas? None of this is to knock Luka. He is still so young. He is phenomenal. He is unique. But strangely enough, he's almost too unique. He got too good too fast for the pace of team-building in the NBA. Now Dallas has to scramble to construct a winner around him with very few tools to do so, and no free agents are beating down their door to play with the Slovenian wunderkind.
At least Harden gets the opportunity to make friends if he wants to do team USA or similar. Not a lot of Slovenians to pull onto his team after an Olympic bonding (and damn did he take over the Spain game the other day). I think people thought KP would be great since they were both euros, I don't know who should get the lion's share of the blame that they apparently aren't BFFs, but Luka tends to yell at anyone who he sees in his way which is something he is going to have to grow out of if he wants to succeed in Dallas.

You're partially right that he got good too fast, the other part of the equation was Dallas gave up a ton to get him and then followed it up with selling the rest of the farm to get KP. When is the next year they actually are guaranteed to take their own pick?

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Hmm, fairly interesting. Pretty good rotation player the last 2 seasons for a dang good Jazz team. I don't think he can really flex to the 3 though, but he is an excellent spacer and could still work shifting Barnes to the 3.
Someone else mentioned it in another thread I think but maybe we’re trying to follow the Jazz model of three guards + stretch big + defensive 5. Of course, this would require Queta to be surprisingly good to really work.

I still would love to have Luka over anyone else in the 2018 draft but what the hell is going on here that can be explained by anything other than maybe other stars aren't all that interested in being second banana to the guy? Their FO and coaching situation is in a bit of disarray but that is not unrelated.

Obviously this would not be a problem in a FA desert like Sacramento but Dallas is supposed to have that magical zero tax advantage.
Zero tax = home games only. Offset (somewhat) by higher prop taxes. It's real, but likely less material than what folks assume it to be.

NBA players only want to play in Miami, LA and if they feel like slumming it, Brooklyn.

the rest of the league might as well be in the cornfields of Iowa
20 somethings with money to burn like being in warm environments with lots of young people. Always has been, always will be.

Otherwise, Miami and Sac pretty much the same market size for TV.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Someone else mentioned it in another thread I think but maybe we’re trying to follow the Jazz model of three guards + stretch big + defensive 5. Of course, this would require Queta to be surprisingly good to really work.
Queta definitely has to become the steal of the draft type guy, but given nobody is spending first round picks on this type of player it isn't impossible. Most of the draft boards had him as the third best center and yet most people have never even heard of him (myself included).

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Zero tax = home games only. Offset (somewhat) by higher prop taxes. It's real, but likely less material than what folks assume it to be.
oh believe me I know, you couldn't pay me to move there due to the heat either but a lot of megamillionaires even outside the NBA are doing it. NBA players tend to put their homes in Florida anyways.

The zero state tax also pertains to endorsements, investments, etc. Property taxes taper off once you reach a certain income/wealth threshold because even the most luxurious mansions top out.

20 somethings with money to burn like being in warm environments with lots of young people. Always has been, always will be.

Otherwise, Miami and Sac pretty much the same market size for TV.
I get it but doesn’t apply to other leagues. Any team with the cash can sign players in the nfl and mlb

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
I get it but doesn’t apply to other leagues. Any team with the cash can sign players in the nfl and mlb
NFL and MLB are very different than NBA. NFL is hard capped and MLB has fewer players who are household names despite needing to carry 2-3x the active roster. And despite the fact baseball is losing popularity with younger audiences they seem to spend insane amounts of money on JAG players.

NFL and MLB are very different than NBA. NFL is hard capped and MLB has fewer players who are household names despite needing to carry 2-3x the active roster. And despite the fact baseball is losing popularity with younger audiences they seem to spend insane amounts of money on JAG players.
More games in MLB = More in-stadium and TV money.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
In other words, the Sixers are keeping Ben Simmons.
It would seem so, but eventually they will drop their asking price. The question remains: What possible deals will be left for the Sixers to pursue if they wait until later in the offseason (or next season's trade deadline)?

NBA offseasons are as active as they've ever been. A lot of player movement is going to occur within the next couple of weeks. Teams are going to be that much closer to finalizing their rosters heading into the 2021-2022 season. And as a result, Philadelphia's bargaining position is likely to worsen, rather than improve, the longer they wait.

So, to receive a solid return on a talented player whose value has never been lower, Morey can get in on the league's mad scramble as free agency opens and a variety of trade activity commences. Or he can stubbornly insist on getting the world in return for that player whose value has never been lower, watch other GM's move on to their plan B's and C's and D's, and be left holding the bag further into the offseason with the choice to either 1) take less than they would have gotten at free agency's open, or 2) run it back with the duo of Embiid/Simmons and roll the dice as next season's trade deadline approaches, hoping that [a disgruntled] Simmons boosts his value enough to improve Morey's bargaining position.