2021 Workouts

So...you missed about a decade of "Being Sacramento" then, did you? It's on Netflix or something, I'd recommend catching up.
LOL - we should have a Kangz Night every year where they show one of our most awful games from the awful years on the big screen at DOCO - outside the stadium. The team should buy one free beer for all fans bearing witness.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Springer is one of my favorite prospects in the draft so I like seeing this
I like Springer a lot, and thought he was the better player for Tennessee this past season while Keon was getting all the hype. However, there's no way were picking him at nine. A lot of the players being brought in are middle to late first round picks, which means we might be adding another pick in that area, or were trading down.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I like Springer a lot, and thought he was the better player for Tennessee this past season while Keon was getting all the hype. However, there's no way were picking him at nine. A lot of the players being brought in are middle to late first round picks, which means we might be adding another pick in that area, or were trading down.
you don't think Springer is worthy of the 9th pick?

Sure hope it’s adding another pick but not another two picks for one trade down.
Possibly the 9th is packaged with a disgruntled player in a trade that includes a later 1st.
However it plays out seems like Monte is preparing for an interesting draft day.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I really liked Scottie Lewis coming into this season. He had a very solid Freshman season, and the expectations were high. Unfortunately everything went sideways for him. Most of his stats went down, and he was plagued by some injuries. I originally had him as first round talent, so taking a flier on him in the 2nd round wouldn't/shouldn't be that much of a gamble. Another player that's a good defender. He shot around 36% from the three his Freshman year, and then fell off the planet his Sophomore year.

You think he will be gone by our pick? I usually see him getting picked later in most mocks.
I've seen him higher and much lower so who knows. This draft is a crap shoot. A lot of it comes down to decision too. If Monte is picking between Wagner, he, and Jalen I think Moody is the best fit since his game is that of a traditional G/wing. He's more comfortable when it comes to scoring instincts which with Haliburton being a glue guy Moody can provide a different perspective next to both and/or either. If Buddy isn't in the long term plans the Kings could use a little more of a SG mentality I think. Moody has the size to defend wings and plays like a SG which is the best of both worlds.

Moody is likely to be there at 9. I wish I liked him more as a prospect. I'll drink the kool aid if he is the pick, but there are guys I prefer over him that will be there.
I don't think the Kings are guaranteed to land a star at 9 regardless but we already know how bad this franchise can screw up talent when they don't fit. Moody is the type that the league values right now if your team needs defense and length on the wing which the Kings need more than anyone else in that top 10. I say cut out the creativity and go for the slam dunk so they don't whiff another opportunity to improve. They have Fox, Haliburton, and maybe Bagley. If they get a legit starter in this draft that provides need it will go a looong way and who knows, should they need something else maybe you have created enough trade assets or a team a FA will look at as a perfect fit for them.

I don't think the Kings are guaranteed to land a star at 9 regardless but we already know how bad this franchise can screw up talent when they don't fit. Moody is the type that the league values right now if your team needs defense and length on the wing which the Kings need more than anyone else in that top 10. I say cut out the creativity and go for the slam dunk so they don't whiff another opportunity to improve. They have Fox, Haliburton, and maybe Bagley. If they get a legit starter in this draft that provides need it will go a looong way and who knows, should they need something else maybe you have created enough trade assets or a team a FA will look at as a perfect fit for them.
I don't disagree with the philosophy, I just don't agree that Moody is a slam dunk. I am not sure he is big enough to guard bigger wings, he's 6'6. I know he has good length but he's still SG sized and not particularly strong or athletic.

I'm keeping an open mind on Moody, I just think people are seeing him as a sure thing when he's anything but. For me, his pros and cons boil down to this:

Pros:
Good shooter
Can get to the line
Young, High IQ
Solid defender and rebounder
Good length

Cons:
Average burst/athleticism
Average size
Not a particularly good passer, poor Ast/TO ratio
Doesn't do anything at a very high level

I'm not down on him, but I haven't been able to warm to his game that much either.

I would definitely take Jalen Johnson ahead of him if both are on the board.

I don't disagree with the philosophy, I just don't agree that Moody is a slam dunk. I am not sure he is big enough to guard bigger wings, he's 6'6. I know he has good length but he's still SG sized and not particularly strong or athletic.

I'm keeping an open mind on Moody, I just think people are seeing him as a sure thing when he's anything but. For me, his pros and cons boil down to this:

Pros:
Good shooter
Can get to the line
Young, High IQ
Good length

Cons:
Average size

I'm not down on him, but I haven't been able to warm to his game that much either.

I think you have a pretty good read on him. Average size but above average wingspan is the only thing I'd add to that.

Jalen has a higher ceiling but he has twice as many red flags as Moody. Going to be interesting to see what happens. I won't be mad at either pick.

Pros:
Good shooter
Can get to the line
Young, High IQ
Good length

Cons:
Average size

Yeah, I think that's a pretty darn good assessment overall on the pros and cons and while you could check Baja's write up for a more detailed look Moody has proven his ability to guard up in college already. He doesn't look like a guaranteed star, nor do I think he's a lock down defender (obviously he's more than capable) but he was very able to play bigger players often specifically being tapped to guard other teams PF's. He's got a strong base and doesn't mind the contact defensively. Offensively he's a bit more finesse but the paint should be Fox's anyway. He also clocked in at around 210 already and so him adding another 10-15 pounds is possible if necessary. His strength, size, and length are more valuable IMO to the teams needs than say a Keon Johnson who looks like ball hawk but someone who isn't nearly as long nor as versatile. I think Fox has the ball hawk needs down if used right so having length and versatility is a much bigger need moving forward. Haliburton is adept at being a ball hawk off the ball too. The Kings have a crop of decent individual defenders already but they lack that versatility which is what is hampering this team.

Jalen Johnson has tons of upside and probably more than anyone else in the discussion but I've really been watching almost everything available on him recently and he's a gamble as to whether he's more of a 4 or a 3. He doesn't have a legit guards game right now off the dribble or as a shooter although the potential is certainly there. I think Moody's natural instincts as a catch and shoot player and being someone able to create in that mid-range area from the free throw line to the 3 is a good get. As bad as Salmons was next to someone like Cuz since he didn't catch and shoot, I think the team needs someone like that who can put the ball on the floor off the dribble drive since that should be this teams system anyway. Him in the triple threat off of a Haliburton, Bagley, or Fox pass is a seamless fit.

I think you have a pretty good read on him. Average size but above average wingspan is the only thing I'd add to that.

Jalen has a higher ceiling but he has twice as many red flags as Moody. Going to be interesting to see what happens. I won't be mad at either pick.
Yeah, if they come out with any of Jalen, Moody, Wagner, or even Giddey I'm not mad. I just feel Moody is the type of player they'd have a hard time screwing up. Jalen's got the upside but if he can't get his shot down I don't trust this franchise not to screw it up and turn him into the next Harkless or something. Actually it would probably be a hybrid of Bagley/Harkless. lol.

bajaden

Hall of Famer

I've been on the Moody bandwagon for months now, and the only reason I didn't pick him for the Kings in my mock draft is because he gone already. As Jerry Reynolds has said, you don't rebound with the top of your head. Moody has a 8'9" standing reach. For those not enlightened, that's the standing reach of most PF's and some centers. Example, Jericho Sims standing reach is 8'10", as is Jalen Johnson's. Yes, he needs to get stronger, but he's just turned 19, that will happen naturally and with the help of the weight room. No, he's not an elite athlete, but he's a good athlete.

I'm just curious to see how good he can be when he's not being doubled every time he touches the ball. I hope he's there when we pick, but I'll be surprised if he is.

I've been on the Moody bandwagon for months now, and the only reason I didn't pick him for the Kings in my mock draft is because he gone already. As Jerry Reynolds has said, you don't rebound with the top of your head. Moody has a 8'9" standing reach. For those not enlightened, that's the standing reach of most PF's and some centers. Example, Jericho Sims standing reach is 8'10", as is Jalen Johnson's. Yes, he needs to get stronger, but he's just turned 19, that will happen naturally and with the help of the weight room. No, he's not an elite athlete, but he's a good athlete.

I'm just curious to see how good he can be when he's not being doubled every time he touches the ball. I hope he's there when we pick, but I'll be surprised if he is.
Curious of:
Moody
Wagner
Johnson
Giddey
Garuba

how do you rank them assuming all of them are available at 9.