[NBA] Comments that don't warrant a thread (JUN)

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be fair, in the case of hiring Becky Hammond, it’s a win/win for just about anyone involved aside from hardcore chauvinists
I think most everyone here knows this including the OP. I think he is just pointing out those who might just want a female head coach just to have a female head coach not considering how good of a coach she actually is.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
To be fair, in the case of hiring Becky Hammond, it’s a win/win for just about anyone involved aside from hardcore chauvinists
If this wasn't hot on the heels of chasing a Timbers emergency call up player (who happened to be lights out in 2 out of 3 appearances) out of town for the unforgivable sin of following a few politicians from his home state on Twitter I would think a lot less of it. Not tweets he made. Just following the wrong people.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Incidentally if Dame had Becky on his shortlist it would be the most absolute no-brainer hire to make yesterday.

He happened to have an alleged wife beater and an alleged rapist.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
What if they aren’t really fans but more of people who live in Portland and want/push their agendas or beliefs more so than push what’s best for the team. I’m not saying those two are mutually exclusive but maybe he’s referring to those that would choose the agenda/belief over what’s best for the team if they had to choose. I don’t get to decide what real fandom is but would assume a “real fan” would choose what’s best for the team. Now whatever they think that is depends on them.
My pushback on that would be to say that "what's best for the team" means different things to different people. I can't rule out the possibility that what you're saying could be happening but, from my point of view, when people start talking about agendas, it is often a way of otherizing the people who have the "agenda," so that they can dismiss their perspective as invalid.

The term "casual fan" exists for a reason, and my sense is that "what's best for the team" may occasionally (perhaps, even often) mean something to casuals that doesn't necessarily line up with what that same term means to diehards. That doesn't necessarily mean that they have ulterior motives. Alternatively, maybe they're on some, "no one is bigger than the team, not even the star player," mess, and they just don't think that Damian Lillard is all that?

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
it is often a way of otherizing the people who have the "agenda,"
My actual frustration with where I am as a whole right now is you actually described how I feel about this city and feeling pushed out for looking for commonalities instead of ways to shame and exclude people. Conversation for another forum or an adult beverage if we're ever in the same place.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member

For those of you who don't remember, Carlisle had a famously tense relationship with Jason Kidd that didn't exactly end amicably despite them winning a 'ship together.

Gotta admire Rick for chucking grenades into the hull before he completely jumps Mavs ship.
Rick Carlisle's whole thing seems to be that he wants to call the plays and he's had personality clashes with the more creative improvisational PG types because of it. I remember the Mavs gave up a first round pick and a few of their better youngsters for a half year rental of Rajon Rondo when he was coming back from his injury and the last piece of the championship team left on the Celtics and things went so poorly that Rondo basically got benched in the playoffs that year.

I also think it's funny that Indiana keeps cycling through these head coaches who all prefer a similar style of structured half-court offense. They get impatient after 4 or 5 years of being good enough to make the playoffs every year but not good enough to make the Finals and they fire them only to bring in another guy who is just like the guy they fired. Bringing Rick Carlisle himself back is almost too on the nose. I guess they can't help what they are. The desire for change is there but they always circle back to what's familiar.

with the hire of Udoka and potentially Becky getting her opportunity either with the Spurs or elsewhere, there sure are a lot of low hanging fruit from that Pop tree
Ime has been prepped for what seems like forever for a lead gig. Now we see what he's got. Kind of wish the Vlade gave someone like him a shot rather than low hanging retreads but whatever.

Rick Carlisle's whole thing seems to be that he wants to call the plays and he's had personality clashes with the more creative improvisational PG types because of it. I remember the Mavs gave up a first round pick and a few of their better youngsters for a half year rental of Rajon Rondo when he was coming back from his injury and the last piece of the championship team left on the Celtics and things went so poorly that Rondo basically got benched in the playoffs that year.

I also think it's funny that Indiana keeps cycling through these head coaches who all prefer a similar style of structured half-court offense.
They get impatient after 4 or 5 years of being good enough to make the playoffs every year but not good enough to make the Finals and they fire them only to bring in another guy who is just like the guy they fired. Bringing Rick Carlisle himself back is almost too on the nose. I guess they can't help what they are. The desire for change is there but they always circle back to what's familiar.
Yeah, and while it's certainly not the "in" thing this gives them a shot to really maximize Sabonis. Moving from Porzingis the "Punicorn" to Domantas should be a breath of fresh air for Carlisle.

For those of you who don't remember, Carlisle had a famously tense relationship with Jason Kidd that didn't exactly end amicably despite them winning a 'ship together.

Gotta admire Rick for chucking grenades into the hull before he completely jumps Mavs ship.
From what I can tell, he was being sincere in recommending Jason Kidd. What I find interesting is he didn’t endorse his assistant Jamahl Mosley who ESPN says has a great relationship with Luka and is a candidate for job.

Status
Not open for further replies.