Kings approach at the draft...

The Kings trade the 9th pick for a win now vet to make the play-in tournament. Your reaction is:

• Total voters

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Well this goes back to some frustrations last year and prior to last year by some of us. The time to start thinking about moves like that when they should be primed and timed to do it is likely already gone. Unless a guaranteed no doubt superstar was in the picture the time to gamble on that jump up was prior to when you have start signing back your own picks and FA's to big money deals. While Vlade was allowing his team of "super team, just young" to be misused or underused so that much of their main assets values were being drained to hope for a run in the bubble or a shot at the 10th seed they made it tougher and tougher to make gambles like that. Now matching salaries in deals comes into play which means you either have to add incentives if teams don't want that salary or you have to move players that you otherwise don't want to move to do deals. If they really want to stay the course the best thing they can do is maybe shed some salary in the form of a Buddy/Barnes deal and hope you don't become even worse competitively in the interim and if you do, shift back the other way as far as you can to get a better pick and hope for a quick rebuild on the fly around Fox.
I don't see Monte wasting future assets for players that don't fit Fox and Hali's timeline. There are constant moves being made, not always big names but that doesn't always need to be the case if you are a team looking to at least make the Playoffs and further build from there.

gunks

Hall of Famer
9th will get us what? Either a role player or a chance to swing for the fences on a player with high bust potential? I don’t think we’re really in the position to give a lower tier prospect 3 years or so to see if they’ll stick as a rotation player. If we can get an established guy to pair with Fox, go for it (I’m assuming the value of the 9th pick isn’t going to get us an all star either - maybe a Barnes level player from a team set to rebuild).

The FO *cough* Vivek *cough* already made the choice to go “win now” by not trading away players like Barnes at the deadline, so you need to stick with that choice, or else you’re just waffling.

I’m still hoping we can jump into the top 4, but if we stay at 9 it’s fine to keep options open.

With our FO *cough* Vivek *cough* already deciding to stick us with another year of Luke, the big dumb Kangz move is out of the way early. Any draft day goofs are just icing on the cake.

I wouldn't trade this pick (barring a haul that I wouldn't expect to get). There will be all-star level players taken after we pick, it's just about finding them.

I really think Şengün could end up being a special player. Giddey has a lot of unique talent also, he is an awesome passer from the wing, has good size, and is a good athlete. Big fan of Jalen Johnson's talent and upside also. Right now they are probably my top 3. I need to do more digging into Moody, Johnson (Keon), Jones etc. I wouldn't take Wagner or Kispert above any of the aforementioned.

Şengün really reminds me of Gasol (Pau). He's not quite as big, but his footwork, passing, post game are all reminiscent of him. And he is a strong rebounder with a tough mentality. Even shades of Jokic in how easy he makes it look at times, but I don't even want to go there as a comparison. 18 year olds don't often dominate in Europe. Last time we passed on someone who did, it didn't work out too well (yeah, I know he's not Luka).

Last edited:

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
9th will get us what? Either a role player or a chance to swing for the fences on a player with high bust potential? I don’t think we’re really in the position to give a lower tier prospect 3 years or so to see if they’ll stick as a rotation player. If we can get an established guy to pair with Fox, go for it (I’m assuming the value of the 9th pick isn’t going to get us an all star either - maybe a Barnes level player from a team set to rebuild).

The FO *cough* Vivek *cough* already made the choice to go “win now” by not trading away players like Barnes at the deadline, so you need to stick with that choice, or else you’re just waffling.

I’m still hoping we can jump into the top 4, but if we stay at 9 it’s fine to keep options open.

With our FO *cough* Vivek *cough* already deciding to stick us with another year of Luke, the big dumb Kangz move is out of the way early. Any draft day goofs are just icing on the cake.
Established likely comes with salary though. Getting a 9th pick with some upside means flexibility. If the Kings go all in (which they are almost there anyway) and it doesn't work, a rebuild on the fly scenario could become an arduous task if not impossible. I think playing it safe is much wiser right now. If they go all eggs in behind Walton with the salary to match it, it could eventually spell the likely scenario that Fox has to be moved at some point much in the same way Cuz was. This franchise better start learning from their mistakes because a few more times and players/agents will completely blackball them. If there is a no brainer that they can create a package for a star that FITS, operative word FITS into the plans then you have to consider it but I'm not seeing many options at the moment.

gunks

Hall of Famer
Established likely comes with salary though. Getting a 9th pick with some upside means flexibility. If the Kings go all in (which they are almost there anyway) and it doesn't work, a rebuild on the fly scenario could become an arduous task if not impossible. I think playing it safe is much wiser right now. If they go all eggs in behind Walton with the salary to match it, it could eventually spell the likely scenario that Fox has to be moved at some point much in the same way Cuz was. This franchise better start learning from their mistakes because a few more times and players/agents will completely blackball them. If there is a no brainer that they can create a package for a star that FITS, operative word FITS into the plans then you have to consider it but I'm not seeing many options at the moment.
Good counterpoint.

Maybe I’m just mentally preparing myself for a summer of Vivekfoolery.

FWIW, I hate all the options on that poll. The Kings should do whatever they can to improve their roster and their assets. Period.
improving your roster in the short term versus the long term are often two very different things. Especially in an era where you are drafting 18/19 year olds. Remember how Fox played his first year?

We got a really young core so I’d rather build through the draft.

plus we the Kimgs, nobody staying here long term that’s wasnt drafted by us

We got a really young core so I’d rather build through the draft.

plus we the Kimgs, nobody staying here long term that’s wasnt drafted by us
I'm always for building through the draft, but this core isn't really all that young. Fox is starting his big contract, and so the team's best window is during Ty's rookie contract, which means 2-3 years to see some results before it gets really complicated.

I'm always for building through the draft, but this core isn't really all that young. Fox is starting his big contract, and so the team's best window is during Ty's rookie contract, which means 2-3 years to see some results before it gets really complicated.
i see what you mean there but I meant by age. We got time to build imo

True, but they aren't old though. Age isn't really the factor, a cementing salary cap is as you allude to. Once you start having to re-sign the players you already have, adding to it becomes a narrowing proposition. And adding to it without subtraction becomes practically impossible.

i see what you mean there but I meant by age. We got time to build imo
But the question is how long players like Fox would be patient in the interim if they did rebuild on the fly. It seems like players are so ready to bail after the first go but Fox sounds like a lifer type which is extremely valuable for a franchise like the Kings.

But the question is how long players like Fox would be patient in the interim if they did rebuild on the fly. It seems like players are so ready to bail after the first go but Fox sounds like a lifer type which is extremely valuable for a franchise like the Kings.[/QUOTE

Yah Vlade might have done something good there. If we can keep a core for a good while this team can have some kind of shot to go somewhere

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
But the question is how long players like Fox would be patient in the interim if they did rebuild on the fly. It seems like players are so ready to bail after the first go but Fox sounds like a lifer type which is extremely valuable for a franchise like the Kings.
Cousins sounded like a lifer too and we saw how that worked out. There is no loyalty anymore, if it happens, it's a rare occurrence and it's unlikely to happen in this organization.

Cousins sounded like a lifer too and we saw how that worked out. There is no loyalty anymore, if it happens, it's a rare occurrence and it's unlikely to happen in this organization.
Cousins didn’t leave through free agency. He was going to sign that supermax. Now whether he stayed here after we will never know but the loyalty was there from dmc, it just wasn’t a 2 way street.

Cousins didn’t leave through free agency. He was going to sign that supermax. Now whether he stayed here after we will never know but the loyalty was there from dmc, it just wasn’t a 2 way street.
We don’t know what would have happened after he signed. Every player wants to sign it and once they get the dollars locked in then they can move.

When Indiana dropped Dipo midseason, I thought their ownership had money concerns. So maybe a Bagley or the 9th pick for Sabonis could make the Pacers ownership think.

Or a 3 way deal with Denver, who clearly needs an extra scoring guard Brogdon -> Denver, Gordon -> Kings, Kings 9th to Pacers.

When Indiana dropped Dipo midseason, I thought their ownership had money concerns. So maybe a Bagley or the 9th pick for Sabonis could make the Pacers ownership think.

Or a 3 way deal with Denver, who clearly needs an extra scoring guard Brogdon -> Denver, Gordon -> Kings, Kings 9th to Pacers.
I doubt there is any deal youncan do with them that willnget you sabonis. Myles Turner, yes but not sabonis. And I actually thought the move they did made their team better. Lavert and brogdan make more sense than oladipo who is inefficient and high usage. I would consider the 9th and Barnes (prefer sending bagley and buddy though) for Myles Turner. He will give you the defensive anchor to build around and can play next to holmes or bagley without issue. So it gives you flexibility and an upgrade if holmes walks or stays.

Short of an elite level talent (in turners case its his defensive presence) or all star, i dont move the 9th. But would i move it as part of a package for say a turner, paskal siakam, or jaylen brown , i would.

Cousins was traded during an all star game in what seemed to be the most unprofessional way possible. He was full into signing the super max. So whether he stayed or not is a moot point. It was the kings that treated him badly.

That was basically what I said in my 3rd sentence you quoted.
you kind of said 2 things.....

Now whether he stayed here after we will never know but the loyalty was there from dmc

you stated the loyalty was there but proceeded with maybe it wasn’t. Kind of hard to parse what you meant when you said 2 things at once.

There is always hope in a draft.
IT went last.
Terance Mann was drafted something like 43rd.
And there's never hope if your franchise is terrible at using or developing those players. I think the Kings got some real decent potential in the 2nd round the last draft. You'd never know it though because of the Cojo's, Harkless's, etc. jammed in their way.

And there's never hope if your franchise is terrible at using or developing those players. I think the Kings got some real decent potential in the 2nd round the last draft. You'd never know it though because of the Cojo's, Harkless's, etc. jammed in their way.
Harkless, Davis, and Wright had barely unpacked their bags before they were getting 15+ mpg. I think it's fair to say that Luke wasn't willing to sacrifice winning on the altar of "developing young players" where he saw a tradeoff between the two. Woodard, one of the young 2nd-rounders a number of us wanted to see, could barely get off the bench even when most of the starting lineup was out down the stretch and guys like James and Louis King (!) got major minutes.

In any case, I have no problem with Davis and Wright, and even Harkless, getting minutes over the young'uns; they're better and whether or not they have a future w/the team had to be asked and answered. My problem was w/guys like Woodard and James not getting run before Wright and Davis were acquired, when there was no one better off the bench, and the only alternative was running Barnes into the ground.

Last edited:
Harkless, Davis, and Wright had barely unpacked their bags before they were getting 15+ mpg. I think it's fair to say that Luke wasn't willing to sacrifice winning on the altar of "developing young players" where he saw a tradeoff between the two. Woodard, one of the young 2nd-rounders a number of us wanted to see, could barely get off the bench even when most of the starting lineup was out down the stretch and guys like James and Louis King (!) got major minutes.

In any case, I have not problem with Davis and Wright, and even Harkless, getting minutes over the young'uns; they're better and whether or not they have a future w/the team had to be asked and answered. My problem was w/guys like Woodard and James not getting run when there was not one better off the bench and the only alternative was running Barnes into the ground.
I'll never forget being down 50 plus before they finally got some garbage time for Ramsey in that Jazz game.