Fire Walton

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m curious why Rex makes this move? Detroit has some young pieces but will probably be terrible for another 2 years. It isn’t really a promotion right? Maybe he figures Luke gets canned at the all star break and wants the possibility of more job security.

Or was he let go?

I’m curious why Rex makes this move? Detroit has some young pieces but will probably be terrible for another 2 years. It isn’t really a promotion right? Maybe he figures Luke gets canned at the all star break and wants the possibility of more job security.

Or was he let go?
He probably was promised a shot at the side chair when Gentry took over for Luke. Just like with Igor, isn't it amazing, a team so on course is finding key parts of his coaching staff leaving for what would appear to be lesser gigs? Vivek needs to step aside and start hiring LEGIT FO personnel and coaches before it's too late.

Or was he let go?
The Eastern Conference is still the easier path to the playoffs and they have a top pick this year to add to a young group (Saddiq Bey, Isaiah Stewart, Josh Jackson, Dennis Smith Jr, Killian Hayes) who could improve rapidly under the right leadership. Job security is probably a factor too.

Rick Carlisle tells Mavericks he won't return to coach team next season (linked)

And from this article, Rick Carlisle won't return as Dallas Mavericks coach after 13 seasons (linked):

"The tension between Carlisle and 22-year-old superstar Luka Doncic had increasingly become concerning within the Mavs organization, sources said. Doncic showed up Carlisle on several occasions this season, such as making animated gestures on the court when he disagreed with a decision or yelling at Carlisle in front of assistant coaches and teammates."

Last edited:
Not huge on Carlisle and doubt he'd want to come here but I think this is reinforcing my opinion between Stotts in Portland and Carlisle in Dallas, also Stan Van Gundy who was a bad NO hire ... throw in Indiana, Orlando and Washington also looking and for varying reasons being more attractive than Sacramento, I can see McNair and the FO deciding to sit this free agent coaching class out for fear of being the last team left in the game of musical chairs.

Not huge on Carlisle and doubt he'd want to come here but I think this is reinforcing my opinion between Stotts in Portland and Carlisle in Dallas, also Stan Van Gundy who was a bad NO hire ... throw in Indiana, Orlando and Washington also looking and for varying reasons being more attractive than Sacramento, I can see McNair and the FO deciding to sit this free agent coaching class out for fear of being the last team left in the game of musical chairs.
One has to wonder if they anticipated this much transition because that would certainly change their options as well. They made their mind up before even seeing what the market looked like which is surely them jumping the gun. But this is why the window of opportunity passed during the season. You give Gentry the reins at the mid point to see what you've got and if it doesn't work then as soon as these teams start falling you are the one making the first calls. That said there are only so many spots open and the list of names of valid former head coaches is long enough. They've stuck with Walton so worst case they pull a Hawks next season. Issue being you ended up where you were always going to be and basically wasted another year of potential stability heading into a regular season to get there. The other issue has to do with what the cap looks like after this summer. If there are a one or more 8-10 million plus deals on guys you re-signed then it makes a potential rebuild that much harder.

Fans really need to start yelling “Vivek You Suck” at the games. We need to become politically stronger for this team as a fanbase
I assume your being sarcastic but I really hope people wouldn’t do that. How quickly we forget he saved this franchise. He wants the kings to win as bad as anyone. He has made mistakes and seems to be learning from them. I forget which owner it was but one of them said he has been a great visionary for the league on technology and global expansion. Those who don’t like the product should stop buying tickets but I hope no one would resort to tactics of “you suck” chants.

Last edited:
I assume your being sarcastic but I really hope people wouldn’t do that. How quickly we forget he saved this franchise. He wants the kings to win as bad as anyone. He has made mistakes and seems to be learning from them. I forget which owner it was but one of them said he has been a great visionary for the league on technology and global expansion. Those who don’t like the product should stop buying tickets but I hope no one would resort to tactics of “you suck” chants.
I have frustrations with Vivek but I do tend to agree at drawing a line here.
I just hope that Luke isn't his call and his alone.

i wasn’t being sarcastic (our fan base is too nice) but yeah you’re right maybe it is too much. However, I feel that Vivek needs to be told to let basketball be run by basketball people a lot louder to at least get him to delegate things where he clearly lacks expertise to others

gunks

Hall of Famer
By all accounts he let "the basketball people" make the decision that has devastated this franchise.
Although, said basketball person was hired by Vivek as an ill-conceived fan service move.

And while I’m normally pro when it comes to bullying billionaires, I think ridingagain made some good points. Vivek kept the team in Sac, and he’s not some absentee owner who just sees the team as an investment, he’s a fan too and wants to win as much as any of us…. He does have some “good owner” traits.

But unfortunately he’s also impatient and makes the same mistakes over and over again, and now he’s not making moves he should (firing Luke) because he’s on the line for too much $$$ due to past miscalculations…

I think learning curve wise, he should have figured it out by now. We’ll see what happens with NcNair, but keeping Luke isn’t a good start to Kings 6.0, or whatever we’re up to by now.

I’d love for Vivek to sell, because I don’t think we’ll ever go anywhere with him as owner. But I don’t think angry chants (as fun as that sounds) would do anything but be a bad look.

I don't agree with retaining Walton but I don't think it is strictly a $$$ move because more money is lost keeping him around by continuing treading water, throwing the towel in on Bagley's development, and punting any chance at improvement/playoffs for another year. The financial situation in May 2020 is vastly different than today. I think the failed cash call is overblown based on my own investment portfolio.

Status
Not open for further replies.