Mark Jones named new TV PBP voice

News headline I'd love to see: "Chris Webber replaces Doug Christie as color commentator for King's broadcasts."

I've finally put my finger on what is grating about the King's broadcasts. It is like sitting in a room with a couple of drunks hollering, clicheing, and laughing about the game to the point where you don't want to be there with them. The broadcasters can make or break the enjoyment for the game but cannot influence the outcome. So, putting the game sound on mute has been a choice I've been making more often.

I think that Draper and Jones get caught up in the Christie weirdness and overreaction and it brings them down to that level. Webber would establish some stability to an outrageously overplayed broadcast. Just watch the broadcasters for the Sharks, Giants, A's, and all national games to prove the point.

OTOH, some people enjoy what is going on regarding this subject and maybe the FO wants to stir up enthusiasm and provide a diversion in a somewhat non-spectacular season.
Excellent post. I couldn't quite put my finger on it either, but your analogy of "a couple of drunks hollering" is spot on. It's like they just want to clown around the entire broadcast. It's just boring and old.

As much as Grant's abrasive attitude was hard to deal with at times, Jerry complimented him perfectly...and there was never a doubt that they both loved the team and the city. Icons.

Doug Christie is enthusiastic if not over-enthusiastic homer. Nothing wrong with that but now endless rah-rah virus infecting Kyle Draper to the point seems to almost want to one up former Kings legend. Draper the rookie play-by-play backup guy easily goes off the rails into silly banter with Doug egging him on. Christie only great when gets into professional analysis of the Kings actual play on the court. Displaying insightful chops as one-time top NBA defensive stopper. Veteran announcer Mark Jones a professional delivery but regurgitates his canned lines too much. Getting lost in blurbs about any subject, from DOCO latest pizza joint visited, to latest social justice politics. But for me I prefer them all (plus Kayte great as ever) to previous Peaches jinxed era. Jerry missed for sure. As my quote shows, "North Korean anchor" needed to be overthrown and in the end overstayed his long welcome in Sactown. Napear not missed by me one bit. It's latest Kings announcing crew first year all together and hopefully will get better, just as we HOPE the team will get better next season.

dude12

Hall of Famer
The best announcing/broadcast night was easily when it was the all woman panel. Mark Jones is fine as a national broadcaster but as the Kings announcer....and paired with DC, as others have said, it’s just not very good.

I really like Draper as PBP.

I like Doug, but I think he is better suited for a studio show. I don't know if it's just because he listened to Jerry's call as an example or what, but his habit of over relying on a few key phrases that aren't even that good needs major improvement. I can't stand "feet set, jumper wet." It seems like it's only gotten worse this season.

Some of Doug's annoying phrases that come to mind:

"Feet set, jumper wet" as mentioned above
"Take that you dirty rat"
"Two hands" (on rebounds.....I've never understood his obsession with it. It's ridiculous)
"Budddddddy Love" Cringe

The best announcing/broadcast night was easily when it was the all woman panel. Mark Jones is fine as a national broadcaster but as the Kings announcer....and paired with DC, as others have said, it’s just not very good.
I second that. I'm OK with Mark Jones, but he does sometimes get carried away with Christie. When Doug gets serious and explains X's and O's on the broadcasts I think he's quite good.... but when he gets excited it's just over the top (and not in a good, exciting way).

I can't recall the name of the woman that did the play-by-play, but I thought she was excellent. Give me a few games in a row with that crew and i would never again think about them as the "women" broadcast team.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
I really like Draper as PBP.

I like Doug, but I think he is better suited for a studio show. I don't know if it's just because he listened to Jerry's call as an example or what, but his habit of over relying on a few key phrases that aren't even that good needs major improvement. I can't stand "feet set, jumper wet." It seems like it's only gotten worse this season.
“Take that, you dirty rat” is terrible.

Some of you guys are too much. Criticizing Christie, Jones and Draper for “annoying phrases” when not one of them has a thing on Napear. Or Reynolds.

I get having personal preferences but these guys are perfectly fine.

Some of you guys are too much. Criticizing Christie, Jones and Draper for “annoying phrases” when not one of them has a thing on Napear. Or Reynolds.

I get having personal preferences but these guys are perfectly fine.
So what are your criticisms of Napear? He certainly wasn't perfect so I'd like to hear what you think. He had his weird "If you don't like that...." phrase but pretty sure he didn't drop a dozen or more annoying ones like these guys do.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I like Mark Jones, and it ends there. Draper is a rank amateur, and I can't stand the constant banter from Christie. He's a one note samba constantly repeating the exact same phrases over and over again. He forgot that phrase, brevity is the sole of wit. He over talks like he's a wanna be coach. Jerry knew when to say something and when not. I truly like Katie and enjoy her insights. I wish for Grant and Jerry, but it's not to be.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
That's... a take, for sure. Like, I get not liking Christie. I don't get thinking that Christie leans too heavily on the same catchphrases, but wanting Jerry Reynolds back. It makes it seem like the grievance has less to do with the over-reliance on catchphrases, and more with the specific catchphrases, in particular.

As far as the opinion that Reynolds knew when to say something and when not, to whatever extent that may have been true, it can just as easily be attributed to 20+ years of learning his broadcast partner's cadence, until knowing "when to say something and when not" became routine; even if you stipulate (and I don't) that Napear and Reynolds were a good duo, they weren't as good in Year One as they became by the end, and I don't think that that can be disputed.

Am I the only one that thinks Mark Jones is very vanilla as a commentator? Dude continually called robert woodard, Robert "Woodward" after calling kings games for a whole year. I understand woodard didn't play much, but come on. His play by play is so bland and uninteresting. It is what it is, but I'm not a big fan.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Am I the only one that thinks Mark Jones is very vanilla as a commentator? Dude continually called robert woodard, Robert "Woodward" after calling kings games for a whole year. I understand woodard didn't play much, but come on. His play by play is so bland and uninteresting. It is what it is, but I'm not a big fan.
He continually missed names all year, he and DC were just not very good for the Kings broadcasts.

Mr. Jones brings a "national" style of broadcasting so has a tendency toward neutrality and balance. It is to be expected since that is his training.

He definitely contrasted with Doug Christie's insane "homerism" but still managed a bit of prejudice toward the Kings despite the reality of the team's overall record (wins). He did concentrate on an individual's performance when it was justified. That helped to put a positive spin on broadcasts.

There may be improvement this year with the absence of DC in the booth. Much will depend on DC's replacement.

I'm usually with you guys until people start saying Kyle Draper and Kayte would be a good commentating team. That's when things go off the rails.

Just bring back Grant and pair him with Kayte and call it a day. He's been punished long enough for something that most would feel got overblown anyway. Say what you want about Grant, but he brings a professional PBP skillset, along with the love for the city, team, and fans.